As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hollow Knight] Sequel: New trailer, still no release date

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Man this map just keeps going on... and on.

Like, just, at first I was like "I'll guess I'll explore this nook?" and then it lead to another new area, which led to another new area... which led, etc. And no benches for ages!

Gundi on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »

Like, just, at first I was like "I'll guess I'll explore this nook?" and then it lead to another new area, which led to another new area... which led, etc. And no benches for ages!

There is a serious lack of benches in the game, for something that doesn't even have a temp save system so you can quit right where you are and come back to it later, in that same spot.

Should've been at least double the benches, and the fast travel systems should've either all been connected system or at least had their exit points placed intelligently so you aren't running your ass off trying to get around.

After a while, all the overly-circuitous travel reminded me pretty strongly of navigating the world in Metroid Prime 2, which got really really annoying with all the dead ends and alternate routes you had to use.

edited March 2017
    So beat The Mantis Lords. Neat fight. Not too hard. But my favorite part?
    7E767FF679867D428E348B054095DF9D3FEB1E43
    Dat respect. So it turns out the Mantis people are the only folks not going crazy and are in fact doing totally fine? And they're actually really polite? (Once they know you.)

Gundi on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular

There is a serious lack of benches in the game, for something that doesn't even have a temp save system so you can quit right where you are and come back to it later, in that same spot.

Should've been at least double the benches, and the fast travel systems should've either all been connected system or at least had their exit points placed intelligently so you aren't running your ass off trying to get around.

After a while, all the overly-circuitous travel reminded me pretty strongly of navigating the world in Metroid Prime 2, which got really really annoying with all the dead ends and alternate routes you had to use.

I didn't mind benches. I needed more Stag transit spots though.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    It just really needs an ability to save without benches, like the Souls series lets you save anywhere. I know I've put off a session or two because I knew I had stuff to do in like 30 minutes and it's entirely possible to not be able to find a new save spot in that timeframe.

Corpekata on
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I'm retaking this a bit after Zelda ate up all my game time.
    So, the world is started to get infected. The Crossroads are getting ways blocked and enemies upgraded. I finally found one of the three mask people that were marked on my map. He was just asleep and I stabbed his dreams until he cracked.

Just, the more this game advances the more I'm getting a definite feeling that I'm freeing this plague again instead of trying to beat it, but it's not like the game has given me any other objective here.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    It just really needs an ability to save without benches, like the Souls series lets you save anywhere. I know I've put off a session or two because I knew I had stuff to do in like 30 minutes and it's entirely possible to not be able to find a new save spot in that timeframe.

FWIW, you can quit anytime and retain your progress - the only thing you lose is your position in the world, and in some cases it's actually handy to quit and restart as a quick-return to your last bench.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Is this coming on the Switch?

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Is this coming on the Switch?

at some point, yes

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    I haven't gotten very far in at all, but this game is super gorgeous

qcklw92m98s0.png
    Jaunty wrote: »
    I haven't gotten very far in at all, but this game is super gorgeous

Their use of color and making use of it for the story is brilliant.

Just want folks to know that with the Nailmaker:
    Don't kill him

Don't kill him

But then I wouldn't be hitting things! D:

I mean he's got another part of his story that you won't see, but whatevs.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

I didn't mind benches. I needed more Stag transit spots though.

this is my one gripe aside from some super frustrating jumpin sections

theres just too much banal traveling

• AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    Don't kill him
    Since I already did, what am I missing?

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
    AkimboEG wrote: »
    Don't kill him
    Since I already did, what am I missing?
    He finds Painter Nailbro, decides to start over learning how to make something new since he has nowhere else to go with weapons.

• Vrtra TheoryVrtra Theory Registered User regular
    Totally stumbled into this on Steam and although I've only beaten a couple bosses, the atmosphere is totally Dark Souls. I am really digging it so far.

(Currently I am playing on keyboard, which isn't so bad after I remapped a few keys. If the game gets significantly harder later I might need to dust off some controllers.)

Are you a Software Engineer living in Seattle? HBO is hiring, message me.
    There's a guy who wants to buy those items you find that aren't equippable or charms (I believe they are "trash" items). Is it always safe to do so, or is there a reason to hold onto them?

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    It's safe. I always held on to one of each type, but there's no other use for them.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Just saw this thread, started reading about how it had a giant map, and I thought 'I like giant Metroidvania-style maps.' Went to google image for a full map, picked the biggest resolution one, then clicked on it to zoom in. First section I happened to see?
    'Pleasure House.'

Well played, Hollow Knight, tapping in to the bug brothel enthusiast market.

H9f4bVe.png
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    There's a guy who wants to buy those items you find that aren't equippable or charms (I believe they are "trash" items). Is it always safe to do so, or is there a reason to hold onto them?

The only reason to hold onto them is "I don't need the Geo now, but might later". It's a way to have reserve Geo that doesn't disappear on you if you die.

Steam ID: Right here.
    edited June 2017
    Drascin wrote: »

The only reason to hold onto them is "I don't need the Geo now, but might later". It's a way to have reserve Geo that doesn't disappear on you if you die.

Makes total sense -- kind of like holding onto your "Souls of A Super Awesome Paladin" in Dark Souls.

So, while I'm still digging this game, I've played far enough in where I do have some beefs. For one, I think boss encounters really should have a health bar. Some of them are difficult enough on their own that getting a sense of "Nice, I bet I could probably dodge for long enough to kill this guy" vs "OK, I don't stand a chance" seems only fair. (I'm trying to both not spoil and not get spoiled, so for all I know maybe a later boss does get one.)

I also think some of the back-tracking, especially when you are scouting, is a little much. To continue the Dark Souls comparisons, if every bench could teleport you to any other bench, that would be awesome -- but maybe too easy, and it would make the stag beetles kind of useless (I like the stag beetles). Barring that, if you could spend geo to buy a "Homeward Bone" that would teleport you to the last bench, that would make exploring out into one direction much easier.

EDIT: I just realized that you can actually Quit to Menu and Reload any time to jump back to your latest bench. So I guess I take back that criticism.

Vrtra Theory on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Benches not teleporting is fine, but there needed to be something like twice the Stag Beetle stations, and they should go to every region. Things like having to take a beetle to get close to the tram so you can ride the tram so you can backtrack way the hell down to the bottom of a couple of the regions and then have to do it all in reverse to leave? That's just crappy design.

• GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Reading about indies coming to the Switch and just read this review from Destructoid - I'm suddenly really, really excited for this.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    hope it comes out soon

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Holy shit this game is fucking amazing.

The music in Crystal Peak is absolutely incredible, and everything about the atmosphere in City of Tears is fantastic.

Just spent about an hour or so fighting the **** Tyrant immediately after I first beat his original form. I probably should have let it be and gotten more upgrades, especially considering how much Essence he gave after I beat him. It was a lot of fun though. Got in the kind of zone that I don't reach often except when i'm really enjoying the mechanics of a fight.

Also grubs are goddamn adorable as hell.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I picked this up, having a lot of fun with it. It looks really beautiful too, and so many cute characters and enemies.

H9f4bVe.png
    Myla, nuuu...

H9f4bVe.png
    After a marathon play-session, unlocked all 3 endings and 100% completion. Only needed an online guide for a couple charms and the method for unlocking the 2 hidden endings! Absolute joy to play through this game. This sets a new standard in Metroidvania gameplay and atmospheric story-telling. Totally exhausted mentally and emotionally now!

H9f4bVe.png
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    After a marathon play-session, unlocked all 3 endings and 100% completion. Only needed an online guide for a couple charms and the method for unlocking the 2 hidden endings! Absolute joy to play through this game. This sets a new standard in Metroidvania gameplay and atmospheric story-telling. Totally exhausted mentally and emotionally now!

Without getting too spoiler-y, is 3 endings 3 complete playthroughs? Or is it possible with save-reloads or NG+ or some other mechanism.

Golden Yak wrote: »

Without getting too spoiler-y, is 3 endings 3 complete playthroughs? Or is it possible with save-reloads or NG+ or some other mechanism.

You can reload at the last bench after beating the game once and unlock the rest of the endings, as well as doing any other stuff you missed.

Unlocking the 2nd ending will prevent you from getting the 1st ending however.

Unlock method spoilerth:
    You unlock the 2nd ending by acquiring a charm called the Voidheart, so if you want the 1st ending, complete the game once before acquiring the Voidheart.

Also, new content coming next month!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q-HWedUolo

Some people mentioned the game could use some more ways of getting around quicker, and apparently this update will give you one! Hooray!

H9f4bVe.png
    Oh shit. Oh shiiiiiiit the crossroads.

What did I dooooooooooo?

Wow... mild spoiler:
    Found the arena. This first fight seems like it never ends... I may actually have to come back later, even though I felt I was pretty well equipped.

Aistan wrote: »
    Oh shit. Oh shiiiiiiit the crossroads.

What did I dooooooooooo?

It is your fault.
    Wow... mild spoiler:
    Found the arena. This first fight seems like it never ends... I may actually have to come back later, even though I felt I was pretty well equipped.

Yeah...
    The third arena fight is one of three three what I call 'Fuck you, Team Cherry' gameplay challenges. It's definitely very end-game content.

H9f4bVe.png
    Holy shit, fuck the Failed Champion. What a garbage boss.

Like yeah of course it's gonna be hard they are optional, but what the hell. Soul Tyrant wasn't too bad once you figure out the pattern, since you can dodge most of the attacks super easy and he even gives a little spot to heal up pretty frequently. Lost Kin was similar, with more shit to avoid at a more random pattern but as long as you kept the field clear you could handle it. This though, I don't even understand how it's supposed to work. It's just smash smash smash smash smash smash smash smash with no breaks and barely any time to avoid things nevermind you have to pay attention to seven things at once with all the fire raining down. He gives a 1/4 second tell in front of each attack, and even if you see what it is and get ready to dodge he might be just a bit too far or a bit too close and he'll hit you regardless. There's no spots to heal at all, not that he even gives soul, so six fuckups and you're dead start over. It's insanity.

edited June 2017
    Holy shit, fuck the Failed Champion. What a garbage boss.

Like yeah of course it's gonna be hard they are optional, but what the hell. Soul Tyrant wasn't too bad once you figure out the pattern, since you can dodge most of the attacks super easy and he even gives a little spot to heal up pretty frequently. Lost Kin was similar, with more shit to avoid at a more random pattern but as long as you kept the field clear you could handle it. This though, I don't even understand how it's supposed to work. It's just smash smash smash smash smash smash smash smash with no breaks and barely any time to avoid things nevermind you have to pay attention to seven things at once with all the fire raining down. He gives a 1/4 second tell in front of each attack, and even if you see what it is and get ready to dodge he might be just a bit too far or a bit too close and he'll hit you regardless. There's no spots to heal at all, not that he even gives soul, so six fuckups and you're dead start over. It's insanity.

For Dream bosses, losing doesn't count as death, so you can use Leg Eater's fragile charms without worrying about them breaking - Fragile Heart for extra health and Fragile Strength for extra damage are super useful. You could also try Lifeblood Heart, Joni's Blessing, and/or Hiveblood charms to boost your overall health if you're finding it too hard to heal. Some bosses are like that. The only 'safe' spot I recall on Champion is when he's de-helmed and helpless, you can use that window to heal a bit, though without Quick Focus I think you can only risk one heal before he gets back up. When he's down you can also use the Dream Nail on him for a lot of soul. Spells might be safer than trying to attack him in melee.

Item location spoiler:
    If you have the Shade Cloak, dodging can be a little easier. You can find it in the bottom of the Ancient Basin if you have the King's Brand. Major potential lore spoilers down there, though.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
    edited June 2017
    Yeah I had been using that but my health was too low to handle more than a couple mistakes. I actually got him first try the next morning (of course), but I had swapped out for that charm that makes your entire health bar those blue goo things but makes you unable to heal, which doesn't matter for him since you can't heal anyway. That amount of extra health was enough to make the difference. I didn't want to spam up the thread livechatting my experience though.

Still a dumb boss.

I was also surprised when later on I found a section of the game that wouldn't have felt out of place in super meat boy. That wasn't that frustrating since I just used the bee charm and sat and waited for a few seconds after every cockup so I would never run out of health and have to start the section over. Glad it's done though.

Still steadily pressing on to the end. Only just got the third of the things to unlock the other thing. It's easily a contender for my goty this year. Everything about it is just so gorgeous, and the few minor boss-related annoyances are easily outweighed by everything else being a joy to experience. The vast majority of my screenshots are just the little beetle warrior person looking up at things.

I met a giant slug dude. We just stared at each other for a few seconds then he gave me a charm and left. Nice fella.

Everyone cool keeps dying though :(

Aistan on
    I was also surprised when later on I found a section of the game that wouldn't have felt out of place in super meat boy. That wasn't that frustrating since I just used the bee charm and sat and waited for a few seconds after every cockup so I would never run out of health and have to start the section over. Glad it's done though.

Yeah, that's another of the 'Fuck You, Team Cherry' gameplay moments I ran into. Generally though in games when I get through stuff like that I just feel relief that it's over, this time the lore that was unlocked by doing it made me genuinely glad I'd done it. Definitely one of my favorite games this year too, one of the best I've ever played period. It's so good at world-building and telling a story with little bits and pieces of lore here and there. Even after getting 100% and all the endings, I'm still finding Youtube clips of secret locations and little bits of lore that I missed that I feel compelled to go experience for myself.

There's one amazing one in the Resting Grounds that doesn't have anything to do with the main storyline, but its' related to the Kickstarter backers for the game's campaign.

H9f4bVe.png
    edited June 2017
    I actually have no idea what is going on at all with anything. So when I meet a giant bright white tree lady who gives me half a thing i'm just like "sure?" and then go I back to jumping over spike pits.

And like, i've tried. I've read minds and talked to all the npcs multiple times and looked everywhere. I just have no idea what is happening or why.

Here's my actual attempt at what I think is happening going into the endgame:
    There was a king and he did some stuff. Then something happened and three people sealed a thing away to stop the infection? maybe? But now they want you to break it because you, as a little beetle, can better contain the thing than the flawed whatever it was. And now you should go do that.

Oh and also now i'm the king I guess. That happened too.

Aistan on