As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX West 2017 Information, FAQ, and Q&A Thread (Ask Questions Here!)

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Anecdotes aside, it does violate the registration policy laid out for the last couple years of 4 tickets per day per household. YMMV on whether or not your order gets flagged, and that's not something we can answer for you with any certainty.

• Options
    SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    SkeleVader wrote: »
    Duder5001 wrote: »
    I have a question about ticket purchase limits.

In the past there was a limit of 4 tickets/day. That was never a problem because I never need more than 4/day.
    This year my son will be ordering 4 tickets/day as well. He will use his own credit card but his tickets and my tickets will be delivered to the same address (he still lives with dad).
    Will that be a violation of the ticket limit rules?

Yes, that will get your tickets canceled. The limit is per household, not per person unfortunately.

I'm not sure this is 100% true. Last year I bought 4/day and my significant other got 4/day to cover the rest of our group and our orders didn't get canceled.

@Duder5001 your best option would be to email pax_questions@paxsite.com and make sure.

It is true that some people have gotten away with it for one reason or another, but the official rule that has been posted on the registration page is 4 per day per household. Emailing them will just get that standard response.

If you want to roll the dice and beg for forgiveness later that is up to you, but don't be surprised when we see people complaining about this later like they didn't know the rule.

If you need to buy more than 4 per day, then make arrangements for another person living in a different house to help. That way you have nothing to worry about.

IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    CKingCKing Registered User regular
    skitch78 wrote: »
    Am I missing a West F5'ers thread somewhere? It's well past May 3rd, I was expecting an active thread of numerous "Today???" posts and I'm not seeing it... hoping I'm not missing out on anything!

I've been thinking the same as well! Last year I lived for the 'staking for West' post. I've just been rereading older posts to satisfy the need for PAX talk.

• Options
    IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    CKing wrote: »
    skitch78 wrote: »
    Am I missing a West F5'ers thread somewhere? It's well past May 3rd, I was expecting an active thread of numerous "Today???" posts and I'm not seeing it... hoping I'm not missing out on anything!

I've been thinking the same as well! Last year I lived for the 'staking for West' post. I've just been rereading older posts to satisfy the need for PAX talk.

Haha I've been wanting the same but didn't want to risk starting a thread that might be seen as not contributing to the forum.

• Options
    krae_mankrae_man Registered User regular
    It's not waiting for PAX unless I see Business Cat constantly posting!

• Options
    Nathan WindNathan Wind Colorado Springs, CORegistered User regular
    Been F5ing since last week but noticed that the hotel link still says PAX 2016. Didn't On Peak go live last year for exhibitor reservations for a few days before passes dropped? Either way, will keep on F5ing. I wonder if someone at PA is watching the website hits and waiting till it hits a pre-determined activity level before giving the Go Order.

PAX Prime 14, 15
    PAX West 16, 17
    My Rig: I7 7700K, Aorus K5, 32GB RipJaws V, Samsung 960 PCIe 256 & 500, Zotac 1080Ti
  • Options
    PookyAlertPookyAlert Registered User regular
    Definitely it feels different this year! :surprised: But they were so late last year, and I feel like it's worn people down. Also that the F5ers are, well, just silently stalking their prey. :wink:

• Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    I wonder if someone at PA is watching the website hits and waiting till it hits a pre-determined activity level before giving the Go Order.

I promise you, that is not how it works. These dates are set way ahead of time, they need lots of coordination. Its not something we decide to do last minute.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    RavenHuskyRavenHusky Registered User regular
    Beker wrote: »
    I wonder if someone at PA is watching the website hits and waiting till it hits a pre-determined activity level before giving the Go Order.

I promise you, that is not how it works. These dates are set way ahead of time, they need lots of coordination. Its not something we decide to do last minute.

Can we get some sort of reprieve on badges? I would actually like to get some sleep when I get home from work in the morning.

tw787Xr.png

• Options
    LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    I can almost promise that the passes will go up during west coast working hours- they need to be able to react to any bugs or glitches that might result when they go up, and you can't do that if half your staff is having dinner at home or at their Saturday pilates class.

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    I can almost promise that the passes will go up during west coast working hours- they need to be able to react to any bugs or glitches that might result when they go up, and you can't do that if half your staff is having dinner at home or at their Saturday pilates class.

I agree. Tickets haven't gone on sale outside of 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM for West (Pacific Time of course). Similarly, they have never on a Monday, and not on a Friday since 2011 (when it still took over a week for 3-Day passes to sell out).

• Options
    This probably isn't the best thread for speculation about when tickets go on sale. The Soon thread is probably better for that.

• Options
    KopeAceticKopeAcetic Registered User regular
    So from a first time PAX goer is there anything I should look into bringing with me that isn't on a normal travel list?

A couple of things that people have mentioned from time to time are:

Non-Perishable foods to have in the hotel room for snacking and off-time meals (like peanut butter n' jelly)
    Many pairs of good socks

Are there any odd things I should be thinking about? I'm hoping to possibly get some DND gaming in if a group would have me, should I think about bringing my own dice? I've thought about making a character but I assume it would differ based on the ruleset that group plays in?

I'm air traveling so I was thinking of not bringing my computer with me, good idea? I might try to fix the laptop I have sitting around my room.

I'll be bringing my Kindle and my 3DS.

• Options
    sediroxsedirox Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    KopeAcetic wrote: »
    So from a first time PAX goer is there anything I should look into bringing with me that isn't on a normal travel list?

Non-Perishable foods to have in the hotel room for snacking and off-time meals (like peanut butter n' jelly)
    Many pairs of good socks

Are there any odd things I should be thinking about? I'm hoping to possibly get some DND gaming in if a group would have me, should I think about bringing my own dice? I've thought about making a character but I assume it would differ based on the ruleset that group plays in?

I'm air traveling so I was thinking of not bringing my computer with me, good idea? I might try to fix the laptop I have sitting around my room.

You can easily get snacks and the like from grocery stores and/or CVS during the weekend of PAX. I think there is a thread that goes up on food places after tickets sales have come and gone.

Yes, bring your own dice and make a DnD character. I don't do much tabletop at PAX but a friend has and said the groups are pretty friendly and open. Better to bring it and not need it than not bring it at all.

I know PAX does have a BYOC section so depending on how much you want to use it, you could bring it along (someone else can answer this better since I don't do BYOC :|)

sedirox on
  • Options

Many pairs of good socks

If you are flying, don't bring food unless you have some kind of special needs (or have space). There is a Target (which has a decent grocery) and an IGA within walking distance of the hotels.
    If there is somebody specific famous you want to meet, maybe bring something for them to sign.

• Options
    jthom252jthom252 Duarte, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    YoungFrey wrote: »

Many pairs of good socks

If you are flying, don't bring food unless you have some kind of special needs (or have space). There is a Target (which has a decent grocery) and an IGA within walking distance of the hotels.
    If there is somebody specific famous you want to meet, maybe bring something for them to sign.

There's a Bartells Drugstore near the Westin as well that I usually stop by if I end up needing anything. Might want to do yourself a favor and grab a water bottle to bring with you though as inside the convention center prices are way above average.

Laptop probably isn't worth bringing unless you need it for work or just hate browsing on your phone, plus if you plan on picking up T-Shirts or other stuff on the show floor the extra packing space is more valuable.

jthom252 on
  • Options
    PavioPavio Registered User regular
    I always recommend a shoulder bag for carrying anything you'll pick up at the show that has:
    -A change of socks
    -A water bottle or two
    -Snacks, usually I have a bunch of Clif bars. Great for sharing and making new friends in line. (Note--still eat at least one good, real meal a day. Trust me.)
    -A couple handkerchiefs (this has come in handy every time, and sometimes by other people around me needing something to wipe boogers or worse off of stuff--I have not asked for those back).
    -Space for your new stuff

This is the bag I've used lately and it's been perfect for me:
    https://store.bethsoft.com/general-issue-survival-messenger-bag?gclid=CIa5_ZCIrdQCFYF_fgodiA8DdQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

I usually eat my lunch at the convention center and then eat somewhere nice for dinner. Even if it takes an hour out of my PAX, I found that it's much more enjoyable.

Personally, for the dice, I've found that sometimes you need your own and sometimes there is plenty. But the times where I have needed it and had it have made it worth it for me.

I've always left my laptop behind and never regretted it. When I'm at PAX there are too many things to do that I don't get to do the rest of the year.

v6h3hfs2v597.png
  • Options
    bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Pavio wrote: »
    I have one of the earlier revisions of the Bag Of Holding from Thinkgeek with a jell shoulderstrap from an old laptop bag, it's been perfect for me for everyday use and at PAX. Looks like there is a newer revision as well, see http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/aaa5/

I've always left my laptop behind and never regretted it. When I'm at PAX there are too many things to do that I don't get to do the rest of the year.
    I bring my thinkpad with me mainly for offloading pictures from the phone and tossing them on imgur so my friends can get geek envy and live vicariously through me :P , as well as watch the twitch stream of those things I couldn't make it to for $REASON.

bacon_avenger on
    PAX Prime 2022 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Bobcats [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Forum Badge
    eIMwu3s.png
  • Options
    That's fair. I usually watch the streams on my phone while I'm in line though.

v6h3hfs2v597.png
  • Options
    I always recommend a shoulder bag for carrying anything you'll pick up at the show that has:

There is a bit of a division of opinion on whether or not a shoulderbag or backpack is better for the dense crowds of PAX. It seems to boil down to "pick the one you're more comfortable with, and follow Wheaton's Law".

• Options
    anettie76anettie76 OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017

Many pairs of good socks

I have found the need for a battery charger cause tablets and cell phone batteries get used quite a bit while checking lines, Twitter, Twitch streams, etc. I've used mine both years I've gone. Backpack for holding stuff is a must and bring a water bottle. They have fountains all over you can continue to refill your bottle with. I would recommend some protein bars, but there is plenty of food at the convention site to eat and many restaurants around the area. Comfy shoes and extra socks are needed cause there is a lot of walking and standing in line.

anettie76 on
    5fac6ex5bpmi.jpg

• Options
    NeutralCNeutralC Registered User regular
    Hi, if everything's in stone "ticket wise" I'll be attending this year with a friend, but I have a question. There's a line that goes the following... "Each Badge must be used by the same person (the “Attendee”) for each day of the Event". Do I need to somehow put my friend's name on the ticket or something so they can come with me?

• Options
    NeutralC wrote: »
    Hi, if everything's in stone "ticket wise" I'll be attending this year with a friend, but I have a question. There's a line that goes the following... "Each Badge must be used by the same person (the “Attendee”) for each day of the Event". Do I need to somehow put my friend's name on the ticket or something so they can come with me?
    Historically there are no names associated with badges. You should be fine as long as you and your friend don't try to use the same badge to get in (i.e. each have your own).

• Options
    ShockkotaShockkota Registered User new member
    Regarding parking, we will be driving in each day. It feasible to be able to find somewhere to park? Is WSCC parking a reliable option, or should I be looking for other options?

• Options
    NeutralCNeutralC Registered User regular
    Gotcha! Thanks for the tip!

• Options
    Shockkota wrote: »
    Regarding parking, we will be driving in each day. It feasible to be able to find somewhere to park? Is WSCC parking a reliable option, or should I be looking for other options?
    unless you get there super duper ultra early, you should explore other options. It might be available, but I wouldn't count on it.

• Options
    anettie76anettie76 OregonRegistered User regular

In 2015 I drove in also and parked in the WSCC's parking garage that actually is connected to the convention site. It's like $20 for the whole day, but I would verify that. It wasn't a bad option at all. I just hope you don't mind city driving and have a good GPS/Co-Pilot. :)

5fac6ex5bpmi.jpg

• Options
    Dr.RocktipusDr.Rocktipus Registered User regular
    Does anyone know how long the Sheraton will hold bags for after checkout monday?

I booked a later flight monday hoping to catch the Astros/Mariners game at 3:40 and swing back over to get my bags and head to the airport(the baseball stadium won't let luggage sized bags in it seems). I'm hoping they'll be able to hold my bags until I get back from the game.

• Options
    Does anyone know how long the Sheraton will hold bags for after checkout monday?

I booked a later flight monday hoping to catch the Astros/Mariners game at 3:40 and swing back over to get my bags and head to the airport(the baseball stadium won't let luggage sized bags in it seems). I'm hoping they'll be able to hold my bags until I get back from the game.
    Most hotels will hold them same day indefinitely. You could probably find out for sure with a quick call to the front desk :)

• Options
    Dr.RocktipusDr.Rocktipus Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »

Most hotels will hold them same day indefinitely. You could probably find out for sure with a quick call to the front desk :)

I gave 'em a call and they said they'd hold them indefinitely as long as I kept the bag check ticket. Just an FYI for anyone else who wants to go see the city before they leave monday.

• Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular

Where did you see that? I don't see it on the badge purchase screen. Was it on the queue screen? Regardless, as @zerzhul said, its purpose is to keep people from using the same badge to get multiple people into the con at the same time. If you leave halfway though the day and pass the badge onto someone else for the rest of the day, thats fine.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options

My brother and I have driven in every day of PAX since 2012 and have never failed to find parking. Since the Convention Center fills up so quickly, we always head straight for the in the block with the Grand Hyatt and Hertz. We have arrived as late as 9:30am and found a spot.

v6h3hfs2v597.png
  • Options

Where did you see that? I don't see it on the badge purchase screen. Was it on the queue screen? Regardless, as @zerzhul said, its purpose is to keep people from using the same badge to get multiple people into the con at the same time. If you leave halfway though the day and pass the badge onto someone else for the rest of the day, thats fine.

It's on the purchase confirmation page.
    Tickets and/or badges (“Badges”) for the event (“Event”) are non-refundable and non-transferable and cannot be reproduced, resold or upgraded. The unauthorized resale or attempted resale of the Badge is prohibited and will constitute a forfeiture of the Badge without compensation. Each Badge must be used by the same person (the “Attendee”) for each day of the Event. The Event’s operating hours, schedules, guests and speakers are subject to change or cancellation without notice. Each Badge is a revocable license to attend the Event. All panels, autographing, photo ops, special events, show features and performances are subject to availability and access is not guaranteed and/or may require an additional fee. ReedPOP is not responsible for lost or stolen Badges. The Attendee acknowledges there are hazards and risks of physical injury or illness to Attendees of the Event and that not all such hazards or risks can be fully eliminated. By accepting this Badge and attending the Event, the Attendee freely and voluntarily agrees to assume the full risk of bodily injury or property damage, regardless of severity, or death that Attendee may sustain as a result of attending the Event, whether or not caused by the negligence or gross negligence of ReedPOP.

• Options

It's in the legalese for the terms of agreement for purchasing the badge.

• Options
    harkingharking Registered User regular
    Are there any punishments for scalpers? Some dude here resold his tickets day of for 200+% and it's giving me the rage.

• Options
    RavenHuskyRavenHusky Registered User regular
    harking wrote: »
    Are there any punishments for scalpers? Some dude here resold his tickets day of for 200+% and it's giving me the rage.

Anyone who breaks the 4 set per household rule will have their order canceled, and tickets put back on sale at a later date.

tw787Xr.png

• Options
    BLaZuREBLaZuRE Registered User regular
    I'm hoping to possibly get some DND gaming in if a group would have me, should I think about bringing my own dice?

I hope you were able to snag that awesome dice set to supplement your other dice :)

PAX West 2017 Checklist:
    [X] Order Badges [X] Hotel [ X ] Flight [ X ] Time Off [ X ] Bobcat [ . ] Office Set [ . ] Challenge Coin [ . ] Sanity

yQb8WN6.png
  • Options
    KopeAceticKopeAcetic Registered User regular
    BLaZuRE wrote: »
    I'm hoping to possibly get some DND gaming in if a group would have me, should I think about bringing my own dice?

I hope you were able to snag that awesome dice set to supplement your other dice :)

I was!!!

• Options
    Nathan WindNathan Wind Colorado Springs, CORegistered User regular
    Back on 16 May I posted that I thought the hotel system went live for exhibitors a couple days prior to passes dropping. Turns out I was right -- so recommend ya all remember that for next year. Not that it will keep any of us from F5ing earlier...but good intel to know anyway.

PAX Prime 14, 15
    PAX West 16, 17
    My Rig: I7 7700K, Aorus K5, 32GB RipJaws V, Samsung 960 PCIe 256 & 500, Zotac 1080Ti
  • Options
    jakkuh_tjakkuh_t Registered User new member
    edited June 2017
    When is BYOC info coming up? :)

(I'm assuming August lol)

jakkuh_t on
This discussion has been closed.