As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The James Comey Testimony

1232425262729»

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Man so Comey comes out and says the president asked him to see his way towards letting the Russian investigation go and that he then pointedly asked him for loyalty on multiple occasions.

Trump's attorney releases a statement saying the president is vindicated by Comey's testimony that... he never tried to impede the investigation or asked him for loyalty?

I don't...

The statement was "I was vindicated by Comey saying I wasn't under investigation. But Comey lied about everything else."

"At that time" he yells into the void, the cold emptiness strangling out the echo.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    What does the Comey testimony actually mean for America

There's no way the house or the Senate will move towards impeachment

Is anything going to happen before mid terms in 2018, if anyone actually votes?

Investigation continues, Democrats will now focus on obstruction because it is obvious from the past two days that "that Russia thing" simply doesn't amount to much (despite the protestation of many that "well of course there's something there"), Mueller is likely to get someone from slipping up in their testimony at some point (Scooter Libby should have held seminars) and voters hammered about Russia for the last year will likely vote with none of this on the brain.

This is a genuinely hilarious read of the situation. Flynn and Kushner are fucked.

You honestly think they're getting Flynn for collusion with the Russians? Kushner I'm not even going to bother with.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

Investigation continues, Democrats will now focus on obstruction because it is obvious from the past two days that "that Russia thing" simply doesn't amount to much (despite the protestation of many that "well of course there's something there"), Mueller is likely to get someone from slipping up in their testimony at some point (Scooter Libby should have held seminars) and voters hammered about Russia for the last year will likely vote with none of this on the brain.

This is a genuinely hilarious read of the situation. Flynn and Kushner are fucked.

You honestly think they're getting Flynn for collusion with the Russians? Kushner I'm not even going to bother with.

Needless nihilism is against the rules here. This includes "nothing will happen to anyone" type statements.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I love this world where the 'leakers' are the bad guys here. Whistleblowers are essential to making sure the corrupt don't rise to power like this. When this happens in Russia or says these things about Putin, that person usually ends up dead. We need people to stand up for the right thing, even in the face of an insanely involved and confusing scheme as this. Comey may have fallen for fake intelligence but in doing so seemed to make Trump think he was "on his side." If Hillary had won, we might not have known how just how compromised Trump, Flynn, Sessions, and potentially more high level gov't officials were.

I really don't think we can let this dude ride for another 3+ years knowing what we know, even repubs know how badly this will poison the well for them. We already look like a joke to the rest of the world and it's only been a few months.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

Needless nihilism is against the rules here. This includes "nothing will happen to anyone" type statements.

That's not nihilism, it's water carrying.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Man so Comey comes out and says the president asked him to see his way towards letting the Russian investigation go and that he then pointedly asked him for loyalty on multiple occasions.

Trump's attorney releases a statement saying the president is vindicated by Comey's testimony that... he never tried to impede the investigation or asked him for loyalty?

I don't...

Lawyers can only do their job if told the truth, and we all know how much Trump loves telling the truth. I'm positive Trump lied to his lawyer, which he is known to do, so expect a lot more of this until his lawyer catches on.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

Not necessarily. It's the money that's the problem. In Flynn's case being an unregistered lobbyist and then using government power to favor those who lobbied for (the Turks in this case). Kushner is toast on any of a number of financial issues. Not necessarily collusion, but money laundering would make total sense.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

Not necessarily. It's the money that's the problem. In Flynn's case being an unregistered lobbyist and then using government power to favor those who lobbied for (the Turks in this case). Kushner is toast on any of a number of financial issues. Not necessarily collusion, but money laundering would make total sense.

And if the US attorneys won't do anything to Kushner (Or can't in the case of a pardon from Trump), there's always the NY AG if anything happened in Trump Tower at any point in all of this.

• Options

I didn't say, as indicated in the bold, that "nothing will happen to anyone."
    Veevee wrote: »

I don't...

Lawyers can only do their job if told the truth, and we all know how much Trump loves telling the truth. I'm positive Trump lied to his lawyer, which he is known to do, so expect a lot more of this until his lawyer catches on.

Is that where we are now? A few weeks ago there were folks who were adamant that Comey had something on Trump and that this firing was going to bite him in the keister. . .so far that isn't the case, and the testimony today didn't really further that unless I'm missing the nuances of any of Comey's answers. Now the needle is being moved to what: Trump is lying to his lawyer (about what), and his finger wag at Comey is based on Trump Brand Bullspit?

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    The Arizona Diamondbacks are, allegedly, a baseball team

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

I don't...

Is that where we are now? A few weeks ago there were folks who were adamant that Comey had something on Trump and that this firing was going to bite him in the keister. . .so far that isn't the case, and the testimony today didn't really further that unless I'm missing the nuances of any of Comey's answers. Now the needle is being moved to what: Trump is lying to his lawyer (about what), and his finger wag at Comey is based on Trump Brand Bullspit?

Reminder of the rule for you and everyone else.

Carry on.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    The Arizona Diamondbacks are, allegedly, a baseball team

Do we... need to send somebody to check on him?

Juggernut on
  • Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    There's now a special prosecutor investigating all kinds of shenanigans. That's not exactly *not* biting him in the keister.

These things take time. I'm not 100% sure we're going to be happy with the result, but it's moving at a reasonable pace.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular

I don't...

You are.

I am very tired so I won't spell it out for you. Suffice it to say even if the very high bar of direct evidence required for felony obstruction of justice is continuously shifted just out of reach, the mere perception of this level of extraordinary corruption will, whether by political pressure or through the ballot box, force a reckoning in congress. Incontrovertible evidence of a crime is not necessary to make this Russia Cloud ruinous to the administration.

I'm not ignoring that republicans for the moment are intent on carrying Trumps water, and will continue to do so to get what they want out of their majority before the shit goes down.

But the shit is going down, sooner or later, and Comeys testimony brought us closer to it.

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    ED! wrote:

I don't...

This not a movie, where a single court session drops a bombshell testimony and the judge slams his gavel and says "bailiffs arrest that man" and then everyone lives happily ever after

By the standards of the actual real world, this testimony IS biting Trump in the keister over Comey's firing, and the heat will only get more intense from here.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Hakkekage wrote: »

I don't...

You are.

I am very tired so I won't spell it out for you. Suffice it to say even if the very high bar of direct evidence required for felony obstruction of justice is continuously shifted just out of reach, the mere perception of this level of extraordinary corruption will, whether by political pressure or through the ballot box, force a reckoning in congress. Incontrovertible evidence of a crime is not necessary to make this Russia Cloud ruinous to the administration.

I'm glad you weren't THAT tired. Hopefully in the morning you can focus on the actual crimes that Trump & Co. are accused and not the (admittedly) boneheaded way they've gone about addressing that (which wasn't the focus of my comment, and which I already covered in my initial post in this thread).

• Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    I love this world where the 'leakers' are the bad guys here. Whistleblowers are essential to making sure the corrupt don't rise to power like this. When this happens in Russia or says these things about Putin, that person usually ends up dead. We need people to stand up for the right thing, even in the face of an insanely involved and confusing scheme as this. Comey may have fallen for fake intelligence but in doing so seemed to make Trump think he was "on his side." If Hillary had won, we might not have known how just how compromised Trump, Flynn, Sessions, and potentially more high level gov't officials were.

I really don't think we can let this dude ride for another 3+ years knowing what we know, even repubs know how badly this will poison the well for them. We already look like a joke to the rest of the world and it's only been a few months.

Authoritarians don't think like you or I do. Disloyalty is the worst sin for them.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    I think it's worth pointing out that this investigation and committee is moving at an absolutely blistering pace compared to what you typically expect in this situation.

The Watergate scandal committee was voted into existence February 1973 and took 18 months to lead to impeachment articles. If this is heading for impeachment, it doesn't look like it's going to take that long.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    The Russian collusion touches Trump's campaign and associates all up and down the ladder. The obstruction of justice was done by him personally.

The idea that somehow one is being abandoned just because the other has the biggest headlines in any given week is pretty goosey.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Inkstain82 wrote: »
    There's now a special prosecutor investigating all kinds of shenanigans. That's not exactly *not* biting him in the keister.

These things take time. I'm not 100% sure we're going to be happy with the result, but it's moving at a reasonable pace.

I'm sure no Special Prosecutor would have been Trump Co.'s preference as this opens Trump and those around him to a possibly sprawling investigation (as we've seen happen in the past), however the Comey firing and subsequently maligning him in the press, was meant to be perhaps not the nail, but at least the beginning of the hammering. It's entirely possible that Comey gave insight in the closed session that begins that process but it just doesn't seem likely.

As mentioned, people are going to get caught up in their conduct during the investigation (and I'll even toss in some bad money deals); for Democrats that'll likely be enough to run on in 2018. However, this Big Fish story that started all this. . .
    The Russian collusion touches Trump's campaign and associates all up and down the ladder. The obstruction of justice was done by him personally.

The idea that somehow one is being abandoned just because the other has the biggest headlines in any given week is pretty goosey.

I'll assume this is directed at me: where is that assertion being made?

ED! on
  • Options

I don't...

You are.

I'm glad you weren't THAT tired. Hopefully in the morning you can focus on the actual crimes that Trump & Co. are accused and not the (admittedly) boneheaded way they've gone about addressing that (which wasn't the focus of my comment, and which I already covered in my initial post in this thread).

As I said above, provable crimes would be sufficient but crimes are not Necessary.

This is Very Bad for trump no matter how furiously the Fox News spin machine is working

• Options
    Actively lying to Congress and on your security applications because you don't want people to know the details of your meetings isn't some sort of minor technicality oopsie that some low-level staffer gets sacrificed to. It's not "conduct during the investigation." It's a real crime.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

He's not doing nihilism, he's doing defense of the President.

• Options
    Ha. I love these completely unsubtle subtle insults.
    Actively lying to Congress and on your security applications because you don't want people to know the details of your meetings isn't some sort of minor technicality oopsie that some low-level staffer gets sacrificed to. It's not "conduct during the investigation." It's a real crime.

Absolutely. And is being investigated. If Mueller and Co. (including all the congressional bodies investigating) find that these folks acted in concert or alone to knowingly mask their relationships with foreign agents - throw the book at 'em. IANAL and would love someone to chime in here, but I feel like that's going to be pretty hard to prove for some of those "satellites" of Trump's.

• Options
    basically the point overall is that while public interest in the overall process shifts up and down as it progresses, you can't use public interest to gauge the likelihood of things progressing or actions being taken against wrongdoers, because criminal proceedings don't work like that.

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    basically the point overall is that while public interest in the overall process shifts up and down as it progresses, you can't use public interest to gauge the likelihood of things progressing or actions being taken against wrongdoers, because criminal proceedings don't work like that.

Totally agree.

• Options
    Ha. I love these completely unsubtle subtle insults.

Absolutely. And is being investigated. If Mueller and Co. (including all the congressional bodies investigating) find that these folks acted in concert or alone to knowingly mask their relationships with foreign agents - throw the book at 'em. IANAL and would love someone to chime in here, but I feel like that's going to be pretty hard to prove for some of those "satellites" of Trump's.

It's not at all hard to prove under normal circumstances. If this were a criminal case and not a political one, they'd be screwed up to high heaven. "Oopsie I just forgot to mention that important meeting when I filled out my security application and swore it was completely true. But that's the only one I forgot until the next one you uncover. But anyway, you can't read my mind to prove it was on-purpose so I guess you have to let it go" only works when you have Congress with a vested interest in exonerating you. But that only lasts as long as it is in their best political interest to be on your side.

In a non-political case, a judge and jury takes 10 seconds to say "You said a thing that wasn't true, you benefited from it, you acted in the way a person who knew they were lying would act. That's plenty for reasonable doubt to be surpassed."

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited June 2017

I don't...

You are.

What's so funny to me is that someone can be sooo sure what congress is or isn't going to do; nothing about the last year has followed tradition, and so confidently claiming that nothing is going to happen to Trump seems as foolish as expecting Obama to swoop down from the heavens and save us all from this insanity. The republican party is a walking corpse with no one at the wheel and there's a madman at the head of the whitehouse who can't fucking lead. And in the absence of leaders chaos rules. Regardless of what might happen to Trump in the future, I think today's testimony continued the steady progression of sapping away all credibility and agency from Trump's administration, and administrations who can't get shit done don't usually last very long.

Comey made it abundantly clear today that Russia did knowingly and purposely fuck with our election and my hope is that people really start to realize that this isn't about partisanship anymore. I have a feeling this sentiment is going to grow over the coming months.

Also, just a side note, even if you think nothing ever comes of this Russia thing, which is certainly possible, what this mess has shown is that Trump and his people are insanely ill equipped to deal with a crisis. Like...dangerously inept, and that's some scary shit.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    http://theatln.tc/2sk8wQL

Frum has good lo-down on why the 5 lines of attack on comeys testimony today are weak tea

• Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    Surprised we have no Trump tweets yet.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Now back to our main thread.

702682133_WHS2N-2100x20000.jpg

smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.