As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stupid technology subforum verdict?

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Could we at least get some of the threads back?

The cell phone one and the mac/apple thread would both be nice

ronzo on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I got a lot of use out of it .... It seemed like it was better for specialized questions that would otherwise have gotten lost in megathreads or landed in the backwoods of page 3 in 25 minutes.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I got a lot of use out of it .... It seemed like it was better for specialized questions that would otherwise have gotten lost in megathreads or landed in the backwoods of page 3 in 25 minutes.

Ok, I do have to correct this...

G&T forum (check 12/06/07 at 3:30pm EST):

First page, every thread's last update is less then 1 hour old.

the first thread that hasn't been replied to in the last day is on page 4.

People, please get that straight. I'm with you on the fact that I would love to have a separate forum / subforum, but we really need to get our facts straight.

So here are the other facts (all done with 35 threads on a page and at the same time as the G&T data was taken):

D&D:
    First page is 4 hours old.
    1 day old is 10 down on page 2.

Artist's Corner:
    First page is 1 week, 3 days old.
    There's only 9 threads that are less then 1 day old.

H/A:
    first page is 6 hours old.
    The first day old thread is on the start of page 3.

Graphic Violence:
    First page is 1 week 4 days old.
    14 threads are less then a day old.

Critical Failures:
    First Page is 4 days old.
    17 topics are less then 1 day old.

Writer's Block:
    First Page is 1 week 3 days old.
    8 threads less then 1 day old.

And now after getting the link to the tech forum, let's compare:

Stupid Tech (adjusting for the fact that it was locked on the 1st):
    Front Page was 2 days old.
    19 threads were less then 1 day old.

Analysis:

If we compare the front pages of all the forums, Tech would be 3rd behind H/A and G&T.
    If we compare # of threads less then a day old, Tech would again be 3rd behind H/A and G&T.

Feel free to discuss my findings.

EDIT: I know that those are not every forum on the boards, but those are all the on-topic ones and I feel the only ones that should be used in comparison.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited December 2007
    The administration is already in possession of accurate statistics measuring board traffic, but thank you.

Tube on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    He does have a point though. I didnt post much in it but it was a hugely interesting read most of the time. Plus it kept the same kind of threads out of G+T which has been pretty decent for discussion of late.

I dont see why it would be dispensed with. Seemed like a good idea and was well implemented.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    You're forgetting that I hate joy.

Tube on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You're forgetting that I hate joy.

And Morrissey too. I guess that evens things out.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Can we have a forum dedicated to Joy? Perhaps even Abject Joy?

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited December 2007
    What about a forum dedicated to hate.... oh wait, we already have one of those.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I come from the opposite perspective, which is that I hang around H/A all the time but never visit G&T because I don't really care about gaming.

Stupid Technology had three kinds of threads in it.
    1. Threads that should have gone to H/A, been answered, and been closed.
    2. Stupid megathreads. The Q&A threads and other 'megathreads' are terrible and stupid because they attempt to be a forum in a thread. I don't see what's wrong with creating new threads for each distinct topic, getting the question answered, and then locking the thread (as is H/A tradition). What, do threads cost money now? If there's a new post in a Q&A/megathread, it may be on the one topic that somebody is knowledgeable on, or it may not, and you've got to wade through the four other chats going on simultaneously to find out.
    3. "Help me waste my money" threads. Here, yet another guy posts yet another list of pieces of hardware he's going to buy to put together his "1337 g4m1ng r1g" and most of the comments are inane posters telling him he's going to need more RAM or less Disk or AMD r0x0rZ 1nt3l or whatever, and it's terribly droll. Seriously, it's like a parts fetish. If it's not a 1337 rig, it's "Which HDTV should I buy" or "Which monitor is better." Maybe a "product fetish" subforum?

Here's how I'd break down the top page of threads on Stupid Technology when it died.
    • ipod classic vs. ipod touch Goes to H/A or Help Me Waste My Money
    • The All-New Desktop Thread Neverending megathread
    • Essential Windows Programs? Nominally H/A but was turning into a Neverending megathread
    • So, uh, planned upgrade, critique it. Help Me Waste My Money
    • ASUS MW22IU monitor Help Me Waste My Money
    • HDTV A/V cable difficulties Goes to H/A
    • Suggestions for a new laptop? Help Me Waste My Money
    • Scratches on an LCD Goes to H/A
    • A/The Cell Phone Thread Help Me Waste My Money AND Neverending megathread
    • D-Link DI-524 + open firmware? Goes to H/A
    • New powered exoskeleton video Goes to SE++
    • Airline Audio Jacks Goes to H/A
    • PhysX - How good is it? Goes to H/A
    • Media Center PC parts.... Help Me Waste My Money
    • Recommend me a monitor Help Me Waste My Money
    • Vista or XP? Goes to H/A, but nominally Help Me Waste My Money
    • Revised OP: Obscure shot-in-the dark: Need help with COBOL Goes to H/A
    • Of 8800GT's (Dell deal over!) Help Me Waste My Money
    • A good set of headphones Help Me Waste My Money
    • $pend On::: Black Friday and other Technology Deals Thread Help Me Waste My Money
    • My computer, she hates mp3 players. Goes to H/A
    • I needs me a laptop, please help me pick Help Me Waste My Money
    • Mac Thread: Yes you can turn off the 3d glass effect! W/Y/H Neverending Megathread
    • Linux Thread - prerelease beta alpha version 5 Neverending Megathread
    • Nerf Guns and the Modding Thereof Neverending Megathread AND Nominally H/A
    • putting mp3s on meh xbox360 Goes to H/A
    • The search for weighted playlists Goes to H/A
    • FSB and CPU confusion Goes to H/A
    • Hey dudes, remember the EEE? Help Me Waste My Money
    • Podcasts: How to and what's good? Goes to H/A
    • The More Advanced Programming Q and A thread Neverending Megathread
    • ATi/AMD's New GPU Line Help Me Waste My Money
    • Low hissing sound emitting from either the CPU or the Motherboard Goes to H/A
    • Blue Chocolate Verizon Douchetransfer Help Me Waste My Money disguised as Goes to H/A
    • Desktop Replacements actual replacements? Help Me Waste My Money

DrFrylock on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    _______moe wrote: »
    What about a forum dedicated to hate.... oh wait, we already have one of those.

Yeah, it's called "Penny-Arcade."

I'd like a "Whinging" forum. It would be like the Whine forum used to be before a bunch of idiots fucked it up, but you'd have to whine Britishly.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I was hinting towards SE++, actually

thanks for ruining that

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    DrFrylock wrote: »
    [*] Threads that should have gone to H/A, been answered, and been closed.
    No, see, I'd put a thread like that in G&T anyway because I'd want people to read it.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    HiravaxisHiravaxis Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I hang around H/A all the time but never visit G&T because I don't really care about gaming.
    But do you care about Technology?
    If you do, all the more reason to have a subforum dedicated to Tech.
    Perhaps it would attract more people such as yourself.

Hiravaxis on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    The tech forum seemed to draw in a number of people who wouldn't have been posting in its threads if they had been in G&T.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hiravaxis wrote: »
    I hang around H/A all the time but never visit G&T because I don't really care about gaming.
    But do you care about Technology?
    If you do, all the more reason to have a subforum dedicated to Tech.
    Perhaps it would attract more people such as yourself.

I enjoy helping people solve technological (and other) problems and seeing how other people suggest help, because I learn a lot. This goes on all day long in H/A and mostly things seem to get resolved before they fall off the first page or get locked. H/A moves at a nice pace and doesn't need to be split up, nor do the tech help threads need to go elsewhere.

My problem with Stupid Technology was that about half the tech-help questions that would normally have just gone to H/A and been answered just fine got siphoned off into this other forum. There, they got all comingled with a Technology Fetish forum where the remainder of the discussion was about different ways to increase the size of one's epeen.

I know there are plenty of people here who want to argue endlessly about whether the Asus KL38438-WJR83 rev.2 is 1337er than the iWill i932Z-x64 for the Conroetanium 6600GT PCI-e video board and whether the upscaler on the Sharp Aquous Wega 1987X-22Z is superior to the one on the Westinghouse HD1347DP22, and I think that they should have a place to do that, but don't dilute H/A for no good reason in the process.

DrFrylock on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited December 2007
    Well... yes. Any discussion about a purchasable object will probably center around either how to use it, or advice for purchasing it or similar alternatives. This is surprising for some reason?

Aroduc on
  • Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The administration is already in possession of accurate statistics measuring board traffic, but thank you.

I was actually trying to point out the facts to the people who are not in possession of accurate statistics measuring board traffic, since they keep on getting the facts wrong... but you're welcome anyway.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Tube, I'm really curious as to the honest reason you seem so against this. There are lots of good reasons to have it and I can't think of any reasons not to.
    Hell, if you're so for keeping vaguely similar topics in a single forum, why are AC, Writers Block, and Graphic Violence seperate? Critical Failures is all about games, let's roll them up into G&T too!

Straight up, Tube. Give us an honest answer. We just want the truth. You don't need to prove you're a dick to us anymore. We get it.

The Deliverator on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hey look theres already a "Cool technology" post in G+T.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I don't see it. Looks like it's already been bumped off the front page.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I vote to keep it as long as the forum keeps it's current title.

I like "Stupid Technology Forum"

It's quaint.

Blake T on
  • Options
    MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Thumbs up for the Tech Sub forum from random forum troll #45789120.

Muriden on
    MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
    301787-1.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Everyone should know by the way, that the return of the stupid technology forum gets bumped back by a week every time monoxide hassles me in any way about anything.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Straight up, Tube. Give us an honest answer. We just want the truth. You don't need to prove you're a dick to us anymore. We get it.

I don't care what you want. I've heard your opinion. It has been taken into account. Get off my balls. I will make my decision

A. When I'm good and ready
    B. One week after the last time someone annoys me about it

Tube on
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    In other words, you still feel that you need to prove you're a dick to us.

That's cool, we all have our personal issues. Good luck with yours. ^_^

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, thanks for your input. That's really helpful.

It has nothing to do with "proving I'm a dick". It has everything to do with discouraging people from being morons. You want to be an obnoxious asshole? Fine, you're ruining it for everyone. Every person who comes in here being a shithead is spoiling the tech forum, because it's not happening until people stop acting like children with bizarre entitlement issues.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    On the Penny Arcade forum, from now on, the squeaky wheel gets greased

Tube on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I think you should make a countdown.

We can all cheer as it makes progress, jeer as it gets reset, and place bets on how long its going to take to count down.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, thanks for your input. That's really helpful.

It has nothing to do with "proving I'm a dick". It has everything to do with discouraging people from being morons. You want to be an obnoxious asshole? Fine, you're ruining it for everyone. Every person who comes in here being a shithead is spoiling the tech forum, because it's not happening until people stop acting like children with bizarre entitlement issues.

Are you an admin or a housewife

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    can't I be both?

Tube on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2007
    Hey Tube you smell funny.

Ha ha I have now delayed the return of the forum by another week!

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Tube, I think this is ElJeffe's way of campaigning to be a Stupid Technology Forum moderator:
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Hey Tube you smell funny.

Ha ha I have now delayed the return of the forum by another week!

Drez on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    can't I be both?

Only if you wear a costume.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I thought it was cool, a neat place to see all the technology threads in one spot. Then I realized that it was mostly just the "i own this thing" circle jerk and stopped reading it. Sure G&T moves quickly but people are still going to post inane "I just got a mac and can't spend 10 minutes doing some google searches on my own, please tell me how to use my computer" threads even if there's a big-ass Mac thread somewhere.

If the main complaint is that there aren't enough threads on the front page, the argument should be "give us more than 50 threads per page." Not "I want to post about my Zune since no one else on the web talks about it."

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I find it rather weird that, "I personally do not enjoy thread [X]" is thought to be a valid complaint about a subforum. Especially when that very same thread apparently has enough people who *do* enjoy it to garner a relatively large amount of posts.

I guess maybe I can understand it if you are looking at the forum through an H/A mindset where the purpose is to solve the problem as quickly as possible, so threads with large amounts of discussion would be seen as a failure. That would seem to be almost exactly the opposite of the rest of the board, where multiple threads on the same topic are discouraged, and lengthy discussion is generally the standard to which we aspire.

So maybe that's the distinction that needs to be made here: If you post in H/A you should be expecting A) Quick Results, B) Little to no Discussion, and C) Your thread closed upon the resolution of your problem. If you have another question, start another thread.

If you are more inclined to wait for your answer, or feel more comfortable seeking open discussion then you should be asking in a different forum. Because some people find their "Help me spend money!" circle-jerks to be oh so entertaining.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    There's one thing frylock missed about his analysis and want to put 90% of those threads in H/A. H/A does cater well to people wanting to have a debate over technology. A thread like the Physx one would likely have ended in at least one warning, if not more. Sure, it would kill off some of the pure nonsense that appeared in some of the threads, but it will also kill off genuine discussion.

stigweard on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    stigweard wrote: »
    There's one thing frylock missed about his analysis and want to put 90% of those threads in H/A. H/A does cater well to people wanting to have a debate over technology. A thread like the Physx one would likely have ended in at least one warning, if not more. Sure, it would kill off some of the pure nonsense that appeared in some of the threads, but it will also kill off genuine discussion.

It seems like a better solution would be to allow discussion in H/A threads once the issue is resolved rather than having a whole forum for the discussion part.

MKR on
  • Options
    JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Not to mention that H/A is a terrible, terrible place for getting programming-related advice.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    MKR wrote: »

It seems like a better solution would be to allow discussion in H/A threads once the issue is resolved rather than having a whole forum for the discussion part.
    Except then you'd likely have the top handful of debated topics remaining forever on the front page.
    Then who is going to tell me the best way to shave my sack? That thread's going straight to page 2, and noone's going to dig in H/A for sack-shaving related posts.

see317 on
This discussion has been closed.