As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Top Gear

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    I've been watching Chris Harris for years and i never get tired of hearing him talk about cars.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Another very solid episode this week. I'm getting the feeling this is going to bed down rather nicely. Matt, Chris and Rory are definitely getting a good team dynamic going - and crucially, it's not a carbon copy of their predecessors. It's definitely its own thing.

If I have a gripe it's that Chris' "grumpy instructor" thing feels forced, and mean-spirited with it. However, this week David Tennant was having absolutely none of it and was awesome.

Also - 43 seconds! :lol:

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    New Episode tonight. Goddamn do I love Lamborghini. Also that Alfa was sex on wheels. Overall a pretty good episode! It did sound like their mics blew out a couple times in the studio though.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Sabine is back! :D:D

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Top Gear USA on History Channel may have died.

But Top Gear America is being born on...BBC America.

with..William Fichtner of all people as the main guy. I don't even..just..what? Alton Brown would make more sense to me than William Fichtner

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Let Carolla give it a shot this time, and Jay Leno is there without a show to worry about now. <aybe see if Patrick Dempsey wants to do something in between racing.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Adam Carolla is annoying AF and not at all funny.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Yeah...it's a very strange mix of hosts. I remember Tom Ford from 5th Gear and he'll make for a great odd ball/car buff/much younger James May'ish persona. I have no idea who the other two guys are. So long as Top Gear proper and The Grand Tour continue to be good and get even better in their second seasons I could care less what the new show is all about.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    God, Alton Brown would be the perfect American James May.

• Options
    Maximum wrote: »

Plus every week he'd cook something in the engine, or strapped to the muffler, or god only knows what.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Plus every week he'd cook something in the engine, or strapped to the muffler, or god only knows what.

He's cooked an entire Thanksgiving dinner in a car. Not sure how you top that.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »

He's cooked an entire Thanksgiving dinner in a car. Not sure how you top that.

Making a grilled cheese while driving a Reliant Robin?

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Didn't Top Gear allready do a challenge where the guys had to chauffeur a cook and present a meal at the end?

• Options
    Adam Carolla is annoying AF and not at all funny.

I used to think so too until I saw his various building shows. When hes involved in something hes knowledgeable about he can be pretty good and funny.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Interesting that in one film this week, Matt thinks the addition of turbocharging didn't ruin one car (DB11), but it did ruin another (124 Spider).

It's how you (the manufacturer) approach it, I suppose. And of course there's a big, big difference between a GT car and a roadster.

I agree with them on the 124's styling. I'd like to like it, but I don't. It has that self-consciously retro that doesn't work sort of approach (see: Ford Thunderbird, Jaguar S-Type). It's hard to get right, but it can be done, and gloriously ('05 Mustang, and going back a bit, 1st-gen MX-5/Miata).

Studio stuff still doesn't seem flowy or altogether comfortable. Still, awesome to have Sabine back. She cracks me up.

And Tamsin Greig's approach to shutting down "grumpy instructor Chris" was awesome.

Jazz on
  • Options
    The studio stuff is good enough that if this trio lasts another season or two I think it will gel. My big beef currently is Matt turns on the "I'm on TV!" mode during the studio way more than in the videos. Makes me feel like I'm watching him play a caricature of himself, versus the "real" Matt, if you get my drift.

• Options
    The three guys definitely have something. It'll only get better with time. Yeah, another season or two will make all the difference. But the foundation they're laying feels pretty good.

• Options
    I think Top Gear finally has a new group to carry it into renewed glory, if they can keep Matt, Rory and Chris together.

They wont supplant James, Hamster and Pubic Hair Gorilla.. but theres room enough on the pinnacle for them to stand as equals.

Also doing a lap of the Nurburgring with Sabine driving is totally a bucket list item.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Bugatti Chiron and Ducati 1299 Superleggera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pusZXECS0mM

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    I had no idea Honda made a plane, that thing looks neat. Apparently it gets 20% better fuel economy over similar jets.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Last season is up on netflix. Evans was trying to hard in studio. Leblanc definitely carried himself better despite Im sure a tightly balled fist whenever he had to be on screen with Chris. Sabine is a delight as always

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    I hope thats a regular occurrence where Sabine and Chris are put into uncommon racing series in an endless vying for superiority and the title of Topest Top Gear.

This new season has been incredible, The trio are solid and entertaining, the challenges have been interesting and enthralling, and the comedy has for the most part been spot on. I also really appreciate the reduction of the Stig to just timed laps for fancy cars, with Chris doing all the training laps for celebrities.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    This season has definitely been an improvement. Still not "Top Gear" for me, but overall it's an enjoyable way to waste a couple hours.

I still don't care for LeBlanc. He's too wooden, and I don't find him funny at all, but as the figurehead of the show he's sooo much better than Evans.

Sabine is still kind of meh for me too. When I get to see her drive, she's great, but I don't think she has enough personality to carry segments.

Chris is basically the savior though. He's great.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Hammond got a bit luckier this time around totalling his car it seems.

Richard Hammond airlifted to hospital following car crash in Switzerland
    3500.jpg?w=1920&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=5c015e4dc3639a4cbe59f73f18c83c81

there's supposedly also video of the accident but I haven't looked for it.

honovere on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    What, again?

• Options
    I'm glad he's ok because when I saw this thread appear so soon I got worried.

This is only going to make his love for Porsche be even more annoying.

I just wonder if this was supposed to be May's turn to drive the car. Again.

• Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    bwanie wrote: »
    the anti-environmentalism schtick is getting less funny everytime I get a glimpse of the receding icecaps.

When they went to Antarctica, did they drive on the Larsen ice shelf? I mean, they did cause the volcanic eruption...

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Wait what am I doing in here I don't know what I'm doing

Trace on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    What, again?

The man is a tiny highlander. That is not a survivable crash

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    What, again?

The man is a tiny highlander. That is not a survivable crash

luckily as far as these things go the fire happened after he got out.

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    It was an electric car so maybe the fire took a bit to get going.

https://youtu.be/kCwBBaZ7UAE

The motors apparently put out almost 1,100 horsepower so not that surprising he lost it at a corner, assuming it wasn't some kind of issue with the car.

Seal on
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    The Hamster is a braver man than I. Where I in his shoes I wouldn't drive a car over 30 mph ever again.

• Options
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Interestingly, S09E01 (the one where he comes back from the vampire crash) is the only episode not up on amazon. Wonder why that is?

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    IIRC they agreed never to mention it again, maybe no reruns is a part of that, so it gets omitted from streaming too?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    IIRC they agreed never to mention it again, maybe no reruns is a part of that, so it gets omitted from streaming too?

The big shame is that they won't even show the great 24-inspired 24 hour fix a road challenge since it was part of the show. Because of all the dumb stuff they do, and they fudged it up a bit for the camera, the logic Clarkson used make sense: yes, you spend more to get it done in a day as opposed to a week, but you make up for it in goodwill and time saved by commuters,

• Options
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    So apparently the key to surviving a horrific wreck is to be tiny with very white teeth.

Anyone else is doomed.

Though it does sort of make Hammond something of a posterchild for the kind of crazy engineering that goes into supercars to keep them from killing their drivers.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Oh, I just read that that car was one of 7 of its kind?

This discussion has been closed.