As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Poké] PKMN - Comfy And Easy To Wear

• Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Intro post incoming, hold onto your butts.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

@Marshmallow or @Kay do you guys know where our last adventure took place? I can't find the second thread after the first one was closed seven years ago (Jesus I was a child)

Tada. You can find all my horrible Pokemon threadbominations via my profile including this gem of an OP.

We've all grown up a lot (spoilers: I probably have not).
    TiamatZ wrote: »
    Pursuit [Physical/Offensive[?]/Dark] [?] - Not really sure what kind of Style a move like Pursuit would have. But Offensive sounds like a good choice.

Offensive makes for a good "chase something into obstacles/trouble/my allies" Move, if you wanted something that was more "it's trying to get away, I give chase!" then Mobile would probably work, getting to shift before you attack means you can get freely follow and attack something that is using its entire turn to disengage from a fight.

Someone in another game actually made a Pursuit Move that combined both those Styles into a Signature Move, allowing them to chase a fleeing Pokemon and then herd it back into the battle. Shame I never got to see it in action, but it certainly sounded awesome. You might look forward to upgrading it along those lines, later.

Everything else looks wonderful, including @discrider's background. Looks like a good group, can't wait to get started.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Kay wrote: »
    @Marshmallow or @Kay do you guys know where our last adventure took place? I can't find the second thread after the first one was closed seven years ago (Jesus I was a child)

I think it was Kanto? I'm divorcing that Al from this Al given that, well. That Al built up experience and Volnoy became a beast, while we're all starting anew here.

It was definitely Kanto @Tommy2Hands - we were in Pewter City, awaiting the opening of the museum.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Just quickly reread the last thread (rip). I still feel shitty for abandoning that battle. Apparently Alex became a plant-psychic and had a tropius and shit? Man, that Alex got doped out.

Anyway, I'm considering that an alternate universe Alex. This is the one true Alex.

Alex's Story

acxmcjon4jgp.gif

Eldest son of the notorious Hoenn Skipps Family, Alex was born destined for a prewritten legacy of breeding only the very best. At the tender and fraught age of 14, Alex, keen to stay in his room to either research or water his Lotad, a reject from a breeding project, tossed aside carelessly by his parents and reclaimed from a dusty pile of balls in the basement, was accosted by his encostumed father to travel the world, see sights, and come back with a story to tell.

"'Go on your epic journey', he said, 'Everyone did it at 12 when I was a boy' he told me!"

Alex told himself this repeatedly when he found himself lost in the Veridan Forest, challenging Brock, lost in Mt. Moon, and milling about in Cerulean City. Ever the optimistic and affable sort once out of his shell, the young Skipps had made something special of this compelled journey, growing as a trainer and making lifelong friends that he could never forget. He never expected the call he recieved from his grandmother, urging him to return home.

An egg had hatched. He had a sibling.

Now an older brother to a number of kin, Alex began to take the duties of the family business more seriously. They may be strange and obsessive, but they were his strange obsessives. It was his responsibility to be the socially well-adjusted face of the family now, if only for his brothers and sisters sake.

Alex met Pidgey one fateful evening while returning from the routes nearby to the Skipps estates. Figuring he could use another flier on the delivery team, he casually tossed a ball at the bird. It didn't take. Confused, Alex tossed a second. Then a third. Many hours later, his great balls nearly spent, Alex, tired and moderately perplexed, caught the common fowl. He figured he'd come up with a better name for it in the morning.

When his mother first broke the news about Pidgey's strange features to Alex, around a week of frustrating training had already passed. Laughing, she congratulated him on taking his first step as a future Master Breeder.

Ever since then, Pidgey has been a constant compatriot to Alex, making themselves useful as both a battle companion and a friend. When Alex decided at 18 that he would take another shot at the League, he knew exactly whom he would be bringing along for the ride. With EightOh, Zeze, and Frenzi left in the care of various family members, Alex and Pidgey left for Lumiose City and the Pokemon League on their own terms.

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    n3gH7Cf.png

And Lo, One Week Has Passed...:whistle:

Kalos, the region of beauty. Geographically distant from its sister regions, yet a fulcrum of culture, nonetheless. It's vibrant and proud citizens always found at the bleeding edge of fashion, art, and of course, battling - with its world class Pokemon League.

Travel delays have put you perilously close to missing your appointment, however. So settling in, and sampling the local flavors, will have to be put off until later. Rain patters against the pavement as you flag down a taxi at the curb, the driver naming a rate that nearly causes your jaw to drop. It seems that access to all this style and architecture comes at a hefty cost. Thankfully, after hearing where you're headed, and why, the cabby laughs and waives the fee.

"Welcome to the City of Light, Trainer" he says warmly. "Tell you what, we can take the scenic route. Don't worry, I promise I'll get you there on time."

Lumiose City
    , a dazzling metropolis of art and artifice, located in the very heart of the Kalos region. Not even the currently dreary atmosphere can stifle the spirit of this grand town, its bustling pedestrians merely taking the rain and mist as a chance to wear their very best coats and jackets, while showing off their stylish umbrellas. Meanwhile, you spot many a tourist meandering down the streets, shielding the screens of their Pokedex from the moisture, attempting to navigate while the skyline landmarks that would normally guide their sightseeing are temporarily obscured in the grayish fog.

Unhindered by the weather, the taxi driver smoothly drives down the puddled avenues and boulevards, past many a brightly lit cafe, extravagantly decorated shopping plaza, or stately monument. For a few moments, a galloping Gogoat keeps pace with your vehicle, its poncho-clad-albeit-still-thoroughly-soaked rider visible through the window, grinning in delight, before turning down a side street and disappearing from view. No picture, travel brochure, or web article could possibly compare to actually being here.

The tour over, for now, your driver comes to a stop next the the curb. Popping open the door, he gestures at the building beside you and wishes you the best of luck in your Pokemon journey, before accelerating away into the mist.

Sycamore Labs, where you will be shortly meeting the titular Professor to finalize your League Challenge. Stepping up the broad stairway and through the glass doors, you are met by a warm and well-appointed waiting room - carpeted in red with rows of chairs arranged along the walls, some already occupied by what you can only imagine must be fellow trainers here for the same reason as yourself.

Standing at a desk at the front of the room, a lab-coated assistant gives you a calm smile.

"The last one arrives, tres bien." She motions at the seats beyond. "Please. Take a seat. The Professor will be with you all shortly." She adjusts her gesture, now at a table against one wall, stacked with ceramic cups, a pair of stainless steel devices, and a kettle, as well as a tiered rack of paper packets and plastic containers.

"There is coffee. Tea. While you wait. Feel free to help yourself."

Who exactly is our last arrival? Does it really matter? Everyone is here, so make yourselves comfortable, grab a hot beverage to chase away the chill, and maybe even introduce yourselves to these other trainers. Surely their stories must be just as fantastic as your own to have earned a place here.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Good lord do I miss color tags. For the time being lets keep OOC chatter in spoilers. We'll just have to work with bold and italics for in-character shenanigans.

Scene will continue once everyone gets a chance to make an entrance, introduction, or response. Feel free to chat it up and/or have your Pokemon get up to mischief in the meantime. First impressions are important!

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    A well-build blonde lad, his damp hair darkened by the rain, stands by the table of beverages, his hands wrapped around a steaming mug of coffee. Beside him stands a severe looking Buizel, arms crossed against his chest as he guards what can only be his Trainer's hiking backpack. The youth sips at his hot drink, then turns his head to the nearest seated trainer, whomever that may be. He is perhaps a little underdressed for the weather, in a sleeveless shirt, cargo shorts and running sneakers.

"I am Al," he says, with the precise tones of a competent non-native speaker. "I have travelled quite far for this opportunity, as has my partner, Volnoy." He indicates the Buizel beside him with a tip of his head. Volnoy also nods, adding a firm, "Bui!" to Aleksandr's words. "This city is spectacular," he continues. "I look forward to morning runs around the Prism Tower, and spending times in both cafés and training."
    Icebreaker time! Who will be Al's CONVERSATIONAL VICTIM? Only time will tell.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    A lanky, peacoat-wearing young-adult enters the laboratory holding a strange umbrella. Feeling the warmth of the room, he unbuttons the breast and stuffs his flat cap into an inner pocket. If one were paying attention, they could make out an egg-shaped logo on the arm of his coat. Under the coat is a dark green sweater with a white collared shirt under it and a clearly recently-pressed pair of slacks.

The umbrella is...weird. It's design is very stylish, though very common in the city of fashion and light, and it has a...sheen to it. Even on the underside. Weirder yet, the guy's head and shoulders still seem somewhat wet despite the umbrella. He tucks it under his arm, along with his coat, as he approaches the front desk and speaks the assistant. Looking over towards the refreshment table with a smile, wiping some moisture off of a pair of glasses before heading directly without pause towards the refreshment table.

Pouring a cup of black coffee, he sets his coat and umbrella down on the nearest chair as he scans the room.
    under the assumption that Al and Alex do not know each other in this timeline

New Al: Enjoys long runs around the tower, drinking coffee in stylish cafes, and working out. Looking for a Friend

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Jim poured himself a second cup of coffee, his casual green button-down shirt and jeans now mostly dry. The young man had had ample time to check out the room and its motley collection of person and Pokemon. In particular, he'd been trying to catch the eye of the cute assistant, rather unsuccessfully. Back in Alola, they always played it cool. Perhaps Kalos was a bit different? He ran a hand through his light brown hair. Ah, well. What was it they said here? C'est l'amour?

His calm is broken when a damp fellow brushes by him to reach for the coffee. This one's new, must have just arrived.

He puts on a winning smile. "Oh, excuse me!" he says, sliding out of the way. "Name's James, but you can call me Jim. Alola. You?" He extends a friendly hand.

Meanwhile, Eli's already managed to find his way into trouble. Spotting an entirely-too-serious creature standing with its paws folded, the candle silently floats up behind. Perhaps a bit of mischief can be managed while Jim's distracted? He brushes by the Buizel ever so gently before phasing into the floor, leaving behind only a tiny dusting of ash on the carpet.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    There is a decorative pillow on top of the guy's coat that sits on the chair. It looks like one of the ones on every other chair, but...different? Did he bring it with him? Strange, that.

"Oh! Uh", Alex responds, bringing the coffee to his lips and blowing gently on it, "Hi? Sorry. I was dying for a coffee. Alex."

He proffers a hand, "Nice to meet you! I assume you're here for the League Certification? You're from Alola, right? That seems like a long trip."

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    "Nowhere's too far in search of Pokemon!" Jim jokes, giving a hearty handshake. "Speaking of coffee, apparently they call coffee "café" around here. Isn't that just a gas?" He lets out a chuckle. "Anyway, yeah, League Certs. That's my jam." He points at the egg shape on the arm. "Breeder, huh? Knew a few of them back home. What brings you to the League?"

• Options
    edited June 2017
    "It's more of a family crest, but yeah. My grandmother insisted I wear it. I told her no, and then the night before I left, she patched it onto a bunch of my stuff", he replies with a smile, gesturing towards the matching patch on his messenger bag. It's was clearly sown on with care. Where one buys custom patches is anyone's guess.

"I was thinking I might finally be up for a real challenge! Breeding is busy work but the fam told me that they'd handle it while I'm gone. I should really take some pictures of that pavilion around the Tower for them--seems like a great place to ride a bike."

Anyone paying attention might have seen the strange Pillow be replaced by a second coffee maker, sitting atop the chair nearest to Alex.

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Pursuit [Physical/Offensive[?]/Dark] [?] - Not really sure what kind of Style a move like Pursuit would have. But Offensive sounds like a good choice.

Offensive makes for a good "chase something into obstacles/trouble/my allies" Move, if you wanted something that was more "it's trying to get away, I give chase!" then Mobile would probably work, getting to shift before you attack means you can get freely follow and attack something that is using its entire turn to disengage from a fight.

Someone in another game actually made a Pursuit Move that combined both those Styles into a Signature Move, allowing them to chase a fleeing Pokemon and then herd it back into the battle. Shame I never got to see it in action, but it certainly sounded awesome. You might look forward to upgrading it along those lines, later.

That actually sounds interesting. Is it possible to reword it into a Mobile move for now? I'll maybe upgrade it into a Signature move in the future. I originally envisioned Moriarty to be a 'birds eye view' scout for Beatrix, then harry any criminals long enough to allow her to catch up and 'bring them to justice' (aka tackle them). Onto the story...

The cab drive in Lumoise City was probably the most awkward moment today for the travelling lass. The driver kept giving her dirty looks while taking the ‘scenic’ route through town. Maybe it was because of how she looked…

… Or maybe it could have been aimed at Moriarty next to her, who took to dullness like any other bored Pokemon with a beak: Tap-tapping the window to no end. No doubt, that would grind someone’s gears. She would not be surprised if that’s what made the driver just finally accept resignation and remain fixated on the road. Not as if he should complain, he was paid good money for this trip. Beatrix knew at least a couple of drivers who would sell their mother in laws for such exorbitant prices.

Ahhh Kalos. That was the other surprise, which was wondrous news to Beatrix. She’d have hoped to start somewhere more traditional, like Kanto, or Johto. But Kalos?! That’s an entire league on its own (pun intended). She didn't know much of Kalos, other than the luxurious and extravagant foodstuffs and textiles that came from there (Kalos fashion was all the rage a few years ago), or the unusual conspiracy rumor whispered by the odd deranged nutjob of how Unova was the ancient foe of Kalos thousands of years ago.

As they passed Lumoise’s greatest landmark, Prism Tower, Beatrix had to stifle the tiniest glee. What phenomenal adventures hid in the shadows of the city of light?

====================

Standing in front of Sycamore Labs, the junior detective wondered to herself: So this is how it always starts? The up and coming trainer making his or her way to meet up with the greatest of minds of the region.

She pulled out her notebook, writing down a short blurb. “The rain came down hard on the city, like the repeating knocks of a desperate and cranky landlord, bashing on the door, asking for this month’s overdue rent. Our heroine, who stands at the precipice of progress’ doors, stands in awe at the building in front of her. What rogues and allies will she discover and meet up in there? What salvation lies ahead?”

Beatrix looks at Moriarty, who was busy settling on the young woman’s shoulders (though he would prefer if she would kindly get indoors; this rain is murder on his feathers). “Our very own Pokémon legend is about to unfold! A world of dreams and adventures with Pokémon awaits! Let's go!" she crowed in an old man’s voice teasingly.

Moriarty merely rolls his eyes.

The young woman steps through the doors…

====================

By the time Beatrix was comfortable in the room, there had been a few guests. She was sitting comfortably in a corner, inspecting the others like any good investigator. Gotta size up the competition first...

"I am Al," the young man next to the coffee table proclaims. "I have travelled quite far for this opportunity, as has my partner, Volnoy. This city is spectacular," he continues. "I look forward to morning runs around the Prism Tower, and spending times in both cafés and training."

Deciding to finally introduce herself, she makes her way to this 'Al' character. Her cheerfulness bubbles. “Greetings, Al… or in some parts of Unova… Howdy! Name’s Beatrix Spencer. Beatrix to my friends, Spencer to my associates, and ‘that damn busybody’ to my rivals. Flew all the way to Unova… and damn are our arms tired!” As if on cue, the Murkrow lets out a groan, but Beatrix merely stifles a giggle. Regaining some composure and gravitas, she continued. “But in all seriousness, investigating may be my game, but the League’s where’s it’s at. I take it y’all are taking part in the League?”

Moriarty, in the meantime, has staked his own claim in this room-sized kingdom, zealously eyeing the nearby sugar bowl (or at least resembling one to the shifty Murkrow). He measures the other Pokemon in the room, with more interest given to the floating Pokemon (with Volnoy hardly even given a glance).

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Volnoy's brush with a shadow does not go unnoticed. The Buizel straightens up suddenly, then turns in place just in time to see the Litwick's ash settling. The water weasel bends over, peering at the strange dust, before dabbing a slightly damp paw into the ash.

"Bui," he enunciates thoughtfully, before touching his tongue to the dust. Another low musing follows. The Buizel scans the area for the culprit.

"Howdy, like at a Ranch," Al offers with a smile to the junior detective, as well as a strong hand. For shaking. "And as they say where I am from, privet!" All the stress is on the second syllable. "Hello, Beatrix Spencer. You have much skill to fly all the way here. Volnoy and I swam from Sinnoh, for the League invitation." The youth is totally deadpan as he nods towards the distracted Buizel. "We are very good at swimming."

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    The doors burst open as a young man, dripping wet, barges in.
    Placing his Geodude on the ground he scans the room, clearly out of breath.
    Seeing that there appears to be no adults (bar the assistant) in the room yet, and about as many bemused people as there are bemused Pokémon, he starts removing his sodden lab coat.
    Underneath, he reveals equally drenched jeans and a grey collared shirt.

"We aren't too late I hope.", he announces to the room, hooking his coat onto a hanger next to the entrance, whilst brushing his hand through his brown hair to try and stop it sticking to his scalp.
    "Now I should have that invite somewhere here..."
    He digs out a thick notepad from his inside coat pocket.
    Flicking through the pages, he isolates one page specifically.
    "Um... Well you can clearly still see the seal."
    He places the sodden mess on the counter in front of the assistant.

Shivering slightly, he turns back to the rest of the group.
    "I'm sorry if we kept you waiting, but if someone hadn't fallen asleep in the rain"
    He shoots a look at the stony-faced Pokémon.

=========
    Lumiose / Prism Tower

"North!"
    The young man calls again up at his torpid Geodude, affixed halfway up the tower.
    "We're going to be late!"
    =========

Shivering again, he turns towards the hot water appliances.
    Passing over the first one, as there's no heat radiating from the top, he places the rest of the notebook on top of another to dry.
    Then filling the hot water kettle, he hovers over it, trying to extract as much heat as possible whilst he waits.

There is a rather sharp 'CLACK' as the Geodude nestles into the base of a nearby coffee trolley.
    Or perhaps a café trolley.
    Trolley café?
    In any case, the flimsy steel platform along the base doesn't seem to appreciate the weight.

• Options
    The wet young man, if he were to look to the left, might see an smiling alolan geodude staring back at him from where the second coffee pot once was.

"Buwow!"

It crackles happily, looking around the room at the assorted collection of trainers and their pokemon.

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    Okay, Jim was no eagle eye, but he does manage to spot the shaking of the trolley. "And who's this?" He asks, regarding the round creature.

Meanwhile, Eli's found the perfect mark. He springs back up through the floor and interposes himself between the weasel and the duplicate, wiggling back and forth and sticking his tongue out, then backing up and phasing through the Ge-faux-dude and back into the floor.
    Marsh, would it be appropriate for me to switch out [Psy Power] on Eli to [Phasing] or something like that? Seems like the kind of thing that would constitute an Assist.

• Options
    Volnoy blows the remains of the dust from his hand, then turns sharply as he senses movement. Seeing the playful ghost-type taunting him, the Buizel rolls his eyes, glances up towards Aleksandr for a moment, then sticks out his own tounge. He folds his arms over his chest and grunts out an irked 'harrumph'.

Once Elijah phases through Pidgey, the Geodude-disguised Ditto gets a sneaky faceful of water, squirted from the corner of Volnoy's mouth. He adopts a smug expression, which freezes in place as he feels his trainer's fingertip tap lightly, but firmly at the top of his crest.

"Nyet, Volnoy," Al admonishes. "Be nice."

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    The Pseudodude reaches out to hug the mischievous candle, shivering and seeming slightly disappointed as it moves through them.

Pushing itself up with both arms, they toss themself onto the floor before waving to the real North underneath the trolley.

At Jim's words, Alex looks down in time to see Eli's trick.

"Hey! Pidgey! Don't be rude!"
    , he says to his companion, ghostly tongue protruding from its rocky-visage. He drops down to a knee so as to be slightly above eye-level with the Sea Weasel Pokemon, "I'm so sorry, they're not normally like this. What's your-"

He's cut off by the jet of water. Pidgey, unbothered, turns to wave at the Buizel as Alex laughs.

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    The commotion is enough to draw Jim's attention. He's familiar enough with Eli to recognize the Litwick's machinations. He sighs. "No need to apologize, I'm quite sure I know who's fault this is." He gives an admonishing frown to the Litwick that's looking down from inside the ceiling. "Eli, you get down here right now and apologize for this mischief." Then he looks to the tall blonde man. "So sorry, he gets antsy around strangers... and friends... and when I'm not watching him... when he sees anything flammable...." Jim trails off. "It's a long list."

Eli glides down to the Buizel and offers a conciliatory... tiny hand? Whatever it is Litwick has for limbs.
    Waving%20Litwick_zps77vxznpo.gif

Jim suppresses a smile. "...But he usually doesn't mean any harm. You're Buizel's named Volnoy? This is Elijah... Eli." He turns back to Aleksandr. "And I'm Jim, if you didn't hear. Nice to meet you."

• Options
    Alex watches the Litwick float down from the ceiling as he uses the sleeve of his sweater to dry off Pidgey.

"I'm sorry buddy, I thought it was weird that you'd start being a dick to strangers. You normally love strangers", he whispers

He stands up as the imposter pokemon flashes Alex a craggy thumbs up and glows briefly as they grow smaller in mass.

Suddenly, the Eli has a twin. They float over Alex's shoulder and towards the ghost and water type pokemon to properly introduce themself. Alex rolls his eyes.

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    "That's North, and uh..", Richter turns around to see North getting hit in the face with more water, and Jim turning to attend to his own Pokémon.
    Richter glances down at where North previously was to see North waving back at his double.

"Hmm."
    Richter pulls a sodden cloth out of his pocket.
    "I'd dry you off buddy, but it looks like we have another casualty of the rain here."
    North appears happy enough though, curling up on the shelf in his own puddle.

Richter then turns himself back to the task at hand; filling up plastic containers full of hot water.
    His shivering becomes less pronounced as he starts sliding the sealed containers into his jean pockets.
    Leaving aside a cup of hot water to drink, he then sets another jug in motion, this time placing the wringed cloth over the top of the jug.
    The steam should dry it out more completely, or at least more quickly.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    ~Sycamore Labs~

The lab assistant handles the antics of trainer and Pokemon alike with grace. Given this is a Pokemon lab staffed by a Pokemon Professor, and therefore likely often plays host to many an eccentric trainer and their equally oddball Pokemon, she's probably had to put up with far worse than playful Ghosts and shapeshifters, flirtatious vagabonds, and recalcitrant Rock Types in her tenure.

The phone at the side of her desk barely begins to ring before she answers it with a "Oui?"

A few moments pass as she listens intently. "Certainement. Right away."

"The Professor is ready. Whenever you are," she says aloud to the assembled trainers, gesturing to a doorway at the rear of the room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The steel door automatically sliding out of the way as you approach, you pass through into the first room of the lab proper, a plain concrete one, with its left side dominated by rows of computers, attended to by a handful of preoccupied assistants. To the right, where tables and chairs have been folded and leaned up against the wall to clear a large, open space, a scruffy figure slips a slim Pokedex into the front pocket of their lab coat, and turns to greet the new arrivals.

"Ah, the League Challengers! Magnifique!" exclaims Professor Sycamore.

"My name is Augustine Sycamore. It is my pleasure as the Pokemon Professor of Kalos to welcome each of you to our beautiful region! It is such an honor to have so many participants, some of whom have traveled so far to be here," the man says, tossing his unruly hair to the side and offering a handsome smile.

"I'm certain you've had your fill of paperwork in getting here, so if you will step over here with your Pokedexes, I will swipe them with this and you will be registered for the Kalos Pokemon League," he says, waving a handheld device he retrieves from a coat pocket. "Isn't technology wonderful?" He pauses, before shaking his head and giving the scanner another evocative wave.

"I apologize. I am so excited that I am maybe getting ahead of myself, non?" Shrugging, he continues. "I am of course familiar with your applications, but if you would be so kind as to introduce yourselves I would be pleased to make your acquaintances. Furthermore if you have any questions about the League Challenge, the region, or its many Pokemon, I would be happy to answer to the best of my ability while we get you scanned in."
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Feel free to wrap up any loose business in the waiting room before proceeding. This seems like its going well!

Terrendos wrote: »
    Marsh, would it be appropriate for me to switch out [Psy Power] on Eli to [Phasing] or something like that? Seems like the kind of thing that would constitute an Assist.
    As a new mode of movement that opens up many options and can be used to avoid (or cause) trouble, I think that would be very appropriate. I was actually going to suggest it after that first post with Eli. Consider also if [Phasing] could be used to bring a willing (or unwilling) victim along with, could be a lot of fun to have Eli drag Jim through walls.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Beatrix returns the courtesy, offering a firm handshake of her own. “Sinnoh, eh? Sounds like a great place.” The only thing the young lass knew of Sinnoh, was that of an investigation there involving with one of Interpol’s agents there.

By then, the room was a flurry of activity, even with the late newcomer. Shenanigans were abound, and Beatrix could not help but smile at it all.

A man in a green shirt and jeans made his way to Al. The young lass, still hanging around, listens in on their exchange. "...But he usually doesn't mean any harm. You're Buizel's named Volnoy? This is Elijah... Eli." The man turns back to Aleksandr. "And I'm Jim, if you didn't hear. Nice to meet you."

Time for some more introductions then. She thought to herself. “Hi there Joe, pleased to meet ya. Name’s Beatrix Spencer, detective in training, and potential League challenger.” she offers a hand to the man. Moriarty, satisfied at pilfering what sugar cubes it could pinch from the sugar bowl, flies back to Beatrix’s left shoulder. It frowns at Eli, not really sure what to make of it.

“And this is Moriarty, my partner in crime. Err… figuratively speaking, of course.” The Murkrow caws at his name followed by a few sugar cubes being gorged.

Beatrix notices the Lab Assistant making her rounds, starting with answering a phone. "The Professor is ready. Whenever you are," she says aloud to the assembled trainers, gesturing to a doorway at the rear of the room. “Guess it’s time to meet the Professor.” Wonder who it could be? Probably an old codger like Professor Cedric, or maybe like his daughter, Professor Juniper…
    OOC Question, Marsh: Plot wise, when does the campaign take place with regards to the timeline of the universe? After X/Y?Or is this an AU (Alternate Universe)?

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Volnoy takes Aleksandr's advice to heart. Grudgingly. He offers a blue-finned hand to the Litwick, and sorta... handshake-motions through the phasing Ghost-type. His eyebrows are drawn together grumpily, but the tone in his greeting 'Bui' is cordial. The wave he then offers the ditto seems somewhat more sincere.

After shaking Beatrix's hand and favouring the young detective with a pleasant smile, Al then offers the handshake to Jim. "Al," he offers. "I am a trainer, and Volnoy is my Buizel, da." Alex is offered a hand holding a towel that Aleksandr had over his shoulder, as well as a handshake, and Richter is also offered a firm physical greeting too.

The blonde youth glances at each Pokémon and the trainer they are attached to, his eyes lingering on 'Pidgey' a little longer than the others. "Interesting name for your partner, Alex?" he asks. "Such a name could confuse an opponent, if they do not use their eyes in a battle. I must apologise for the squirting. Water types are much for the squirting."

In the next room, Aleksandr glances towards Beatrix once the Professor makes his introduction. He gestures towards Sycamore with his own pokedéx - a slim device in red and black - and nods towards the Detective. "He seems... much younger and more fashionable than I imagined, do you think?"

Volnoy stands at his trainer's side, casting sidelong glances at the other 'mons more than the other trainers. He reaches out to touch Pidgey (or the most likely suspect) with one paw, assuming he can keep track of whatever the Ditto has morphed into at this point.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    OOC Question, Marsh: Plot wise, when does the campaign take place with regards to the timeline of the universe? After X/Y?Or is this an AU (Alternate Universe)?

This takes place at the same time as Pokemon Sun/Moon, roughly two years after the events in X/Y. If you have not played those games, there may be some spoilers, though mostly you just won't hear much of Team Flare, Xerneas/Yveltal, or the main characters of those games, all of those having moved on to other things in the meantime, and any excitement that was stirred up in the course of the plot has had time to settle down.

Most of the Gym Leaders and otherwise non-itinerant NPCs have stayed the same.

• Options
    Jim frowns slightly when Beatrix mispronounces his name, but recovers quickly. At least if he happens to commit any crimes, he decides, she won't get his name right on the report. Jim waves to the Murkrow casually as it lands on Bea's shoulder. "Nice to meet you both."

In the next room, Jim's the first to approach Sycamore. "James Veidt, son of John and Georgia Veidt." He hands over his Pokedex for Sycamore to scan, which produces a loud *beep*, and the red light in the upper-left corner of the Dex flashes twice and turns green. "Excellent!" Jim says. "Now, what would you say is the biggest, most badass Pokemon around?"
    Went ahead and changed [Psy Power] to [Phasing 1]. At this point, Litwick only weighs about 7 pounds, so I have trouble imagining him being able to bring along something as large as another person, at least until he gets stronger. Might spend EXP to increment Phasing to the point he could do that later, though. I wasn't really planning on making Jim a sneaky sort, anyway.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    ~ Sycamore Labs ~

"So good to meet you, Monsieur," Proffessor Sycamore replies while he scans Jim's Pokedex. "Alola, eh? So far from home, but I hope you find Kalos' hospitality to your liking."

"In these labs, I'd say my Venusaur is quite formidable. The most powerful I have ever seen? Well, suffice to say that one moved along long ago, and I feel much safer for it. If you are looking for a capable partner for your charming bougie? I can surely say any Pokemon may become quite the 'badass' with proper training from a trainer it has bonded with."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Assists currently don't have ranks, or rather you only have one rank for Assist that determines how many Assists the pokemon has.

ie. Pokemon start with two Assists, you can spend 3 exp to get them a third Assist, 4 exp to get them a fourth, etc, etc.

To compensate for this, you can have Assists that are pretty good all on their lonesome. Theoretically I suppose you could add an Assist that complements another to kind of emulate additional ranks, in the sense of starting with a [Strong] Assist then later purchasing a [Really Strong] and then a [Like, Seriously Strong].

Bit silly though.

For phasing someone along with them, I was thinking more along the lines of the Kitty Pryde "hold hands to share your phasing" rather than physically carrying them, though carrying would be handy if Eli picked up a beefier form of levitation/floating.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Alex takes Al's hand, giving him a firm handshake and a smile. He eschews the towel, figuring that the candle pokemon Pidgey has morphed into has probably done a lot to dry them off.

"The name was an honest mistake that just sorta stuck. But that's an interesting perspective! If any of the gym's in this region have a blind leader, I guess Pidgey will have a definite advantage. No worries on the water, I have a Lotad back at home. A little water never...well, a little water never hurt anyone. Nice to meet you as well, Detective."
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Alex follows up after Jim.

"Salutations, Professeur! Je m'appelle Alex Skipps de Hoenn! It's so good to finally meet you, your research on mega evolutions is absolutely fascinating! Is it true that there's a town in Kalos full of mega stones?", he asks excitedly as he hands over his 'dex.

"Also, is it possible that if one bred two pokemon while in a Megaforme, their offspring might hatch as a mega evolution?"

Volnoy finds himself placing a comforting hand on a warm desktop computer monitor, identical to those on the left side of the room, sitting on the floor next to where Alex was. The monitor beeps happily, excited to have made a friend.

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    ~ Sycamore Labs ~

The Pokemon Professor smiles widely. "Bonjour, Alex. Votre français est tres bien! I am flattered you know of my research! If you are interested in Mega Stones and Evolutions, you might visit Shalour City and the Tower of Mastery, as I did long ago."

Placing a hand on his chin, he considers Alex's question carefully. "Mega Evolution is a taxing process for a Pokemon. Even with the strongest of bonds with a trainer, it takes its toll. I am not certain it would be possible to maintain a Mega Evolution for long enough for two Pokemon to produce an egg, though I imagine a Mega Charmander would be cute as could be, non?"

Accepting the Breeder's Pokedex, he passes the scanner over its surface, eliciting a beep. "En voila! You are a League Challenger!"

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    "He seems... much younger and more fashionable that I imagined, do you think?" Al enquires towards the young detective.

Beatrix could only nod in response. “Yup… err… I mean. It’s elementary. Though it’s not such a strange occurrence. Prof. Juniper back home is probably in the same age bracket as Prof. Sycamore here. A lot of new developments in research and technology is furthered by up and coming Professors, making the theories of yesteryear into facts of tomorrow. What’s that saying, standing on the shoulders of Regis. Speaking of Professors, that reminds me…”

Beatrix offers her own salutations to the handsome researcher. “Beggin your pardon, Prof. Sycamore. My… err... Kalosian is terribly rusty. Guess I should have invested in downloading a Kalosian translation app for my Xtransceiver. Name’s Beatrix Spencer, a (junior) detective by trade, but most definitely an up and coming Pokemon League battler. And who knows, maybe even the next champ!” Beatrix offers her Pokedex to the Professor.

The young woman had so many questions running in her head. It was hard to keep track of them all. With notebook in hand, she starts questioning the young academic.

“Do you know of Prof. Juniper and her research? What is this Mega Evolution? What is the Pokemon League challenge like here in Kalos? Any ne’er-do-well activities here in Kalos?” What's the weather like at this time of year? What do ...

Her train of thought was caught mid sentence (or would that be mid-question?), as the Murkrow nibbles on a few strands of Beatrix’s hair. He was feigning distraught, but it was a charade the lass knew all too well.

“Oh… and Moriarty here would like to know what sort of confectionery treats a marvelous place like Kalos sells. He’s kind of got a sweet tooth, you see. I think he’s still sore about me eating the last Casteliacone on route to Kalos.” Satisfied with her request, Moriarty puffs his feathers and flutters over to Volnoy, finally curious as to what the Buizel’s interest was in a monitor screen.

Really, Beatrix could spend all day asking questions to Sycamore. I guess this is how mom used to feel like when she started out as an agent in a strange land…
    This takes place at the same time as Pokemon Sun/Moon, roughly two years after the events in X/Y. If you have not played those games, there may be some spoilers, though mostly you just won't hear much of Team Flare, Xerneas/Yveltal, or the main characters of those games, all of those having moved on to other things in the meantime, and any excitement that was stirred up in the course of the plot has had time to settle down.

Most of the Gym Leaders and otherwise non-itinerant NPCs have stayed the same.

I played X back during it's launch. Really enjoyed the setting. Then again, it's been years since I played it, so details on kalos is still pretty hazy to me. Also, since we're trainers, do we have access to devices like Xtranscievers? Since Gen 5, they've been pretty common in the games. If not, I can just alter the post.

@Terrendos: Haha, that’s what I get for not properly proofreading my posts. I use a word processor for most of my posts before posting, so it must have defaulted your name to Joe. Beatrix mispronouncing names could be a running gag on its own.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    "I should visit Unova, and meet your Professor Juniper," Aleksandr says, before stepping aside as Beatrix heads towards Sycamore. Once the young woman has had her Pokédex registered, the blonde trainer offers his own up with a nod and smile for the Professor. "Shalour City and the Tower are places I would much like to visit. I would also like to swim in the Azure Bay, with my Buizel."

Speaking of Volnoy, his reaction to the computer monitor is one of surprise. He pats at it experimentally, then inclines his head towards the curious Murkrow. He shrugs, expansively, and directs a rapid-fire barrage of 'Bui!'s and 'Zel!'s to Moriarty. The gist of his query is clear: 'What the FUCK?'

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    "'krow?", the black bird next to Vol inquires

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    ~ Sycamore Labs ~
    ~ Beatrix ~

Accepting the proffered Pokedex, Professor Sycamore scans the young trainer in. "Madamoiselle Beatrix, it is a pleasure to meet one of such ambition and spirit! You may be pleased to know we have a detective agency of our own, here in Lumiose City, known as the Looker Bureau. It is also headed by a young lady of much passion and dedication by the name of Emma. Perhaps you may compare notes and swap stories of your exploits, if you have time in your busy schedules?"

While the Professor scans her Pokedex, the man takes the time to answer her many questions:

"The Professor Juniper is a valued colleague, unrivaled in her apprehension of the historical past of Pokemon development. With my own research, I like to think that I look to what Pokemon may be like in the future. Mega Evolution is a rare and potent transformation that boosts a Pokemon above and beyond their normal limits, powered by the confluence of a Mega Stone, a Mega Ring, and the powerful bond between Pokemon and trainer."

"The Pokemon Challenge is much like any other civilized region. You travel from city to city, building and improving your team of Pokemon while you challenge the eight Gym Leaders for their badges of approval. Once you have acquired the necessary eight badges, you may challenge the Elite Four of our region - the most practiced and powerful of our trainers who will not hold back one whit against you. Should you succeed, you will have achieved the rank of 'Champion'."

"We are lucky to have rather little criminal activity here. As an important tourist destination, you may expect the International Police to take any major problems quite seriously, and for all other issues we have a healthy population of Detectives and Rangers that keep matters well in hand. We have come a long way since our very existence was threatened by the misguided efforts of Team Flare!"

The Professor is hard-pressed to suppress his amusement at the Junior Detective's unruly Murkrow's interruption. "Your loyal ally might be pleased to know that Kalos has a fine array of macaroons, poffins, and Poke Puffs. I would particularly recommend that they try the local delicacy 'sablé', which is a type of crumbly cookie that many Pokemon I know to be fond of."

~ Aleksandr ~

"Zdravstvuyte, Monsieur Ruskidoichev. How is Sinnoh these days? It has been ever so long since I have last visited," the Professor mentions, scanning Aleksandr's Pokedex.

"Kalos is full of wonderful places to explore, and I hope you enjoy your journey well. I would warn you to watch out for the odd Tentacool, but from what I have seen on the net, your Volnoy is a more-than-capable guardian." His eyes flick to where the group's Pokemon are currently up to hijinks "Though perhaps less so when confronted with a troublesome Ditto?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I played X back during it's launch. Really enjoyed the setting. Then again, it's been years since I played it, so details on kalos is still pretty hazy to me. Also, since we're trainers, do we have access to devices like Xtranscievers? Since Gen 5, they've been pretty common in the games. If not, I can just alter the post.

Any time I use the term "Pokedex", I'm usually referring to whatever variety of smartphone-esque device trainers are using nowadays. Phone and internet capabilities are a given, as well as whatever hot apps are available on the Pokemarketplace.

So yes, Xtranscievers and similar are very much a thing. It's a rare trainer that doesn't have personal tech that allows them to contact friends, read up on current trends, local events, and dramatis personae.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    At the word of Mega Evolutions, Jim perks up. "Oh yeah, this place is super famous for those, isn't it! So like, where's one go to get themselves a Mega Ring? Also, does it have to be a ring? Not really a 'jewelry' guy, you know? But like, a hat? Or a belt, maybe?" He pauses for a moment. "Any Mega Evolutions for Chandelure?"

• Options
    Murkrow is just as surprised as the Buizel and doesn't know either what just happened at the sudden polymorph. At least he knew 'it' had some good taste in which Pokemon to emulate.

• Options
    for the record, I'm going with either she or they for Pidgey

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    Fair enough. Moriarty doesn't know what Pidgey's gender is, or what Pidgey even is, for that matter.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    not an issue! that means things are going as intended thus far

E: also instead of getting actual well-paying work done, I've been rereading our previous adventures.
    Notes Taken;
    Alex would have rocked the next gym if given a chance
    Volnoy would have been a monster if he got a chance to follow through on Alex's training regimen
    Dayton could have become an absolute monster had he figured out how to weaponize the parasect fungual infection
    Squall almost became more of a bug boy than Bugboy
    Eggbert was most competent character as an NPC than most of the player characters
    The old rules for breeders were broken, given enough downtime
    I really want to catch a Vuplex still

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    "Perfect pronounciation," Aleksandr says with a look of surprise on his face when the Professor greets him in his own language. The fact that he stumbles slightly over his own enunciation makes it all the more perfect. Perfectly embarrassing, that is. "Yes, Volnoy will become great with the correct training and guidance. I will do my best to help him reach his full potential." A backwards glance between the interactions between his Buizel, Beatrix's Murkrow, and Alex's... other Murkrow reveals the following interaction.

Volnoy tentatively reaches out to lift Pidgey's wing to spread the feathers, rather gently. If allowed, even even touches each one to see just how 'feathery' it feels. He looks between Moriarty and the facsimile, then straightens up and thumps his chest with a nod, and an approving gesture. "Bui," he states, seriously, before thumping his chest again with another nod. 'Let's see you copy THIS,' is the unspoken challenge.

"I think, in a stadium, things would be more clear," Aleksandr hazards. "Now I am interested in those macarons, I may fit some treats into my diet from time to time." As he speaks, he quickly scrolls through the updates to his Pokédex, before bringing up a Ditto to Buizel comparison on screen.
    Question: If Pidgey Transforms into another Pokémon, would they have the feminine traits regardless of the copied target if applicable (Pikachu heart tail, for instance), or would it be a complete copy? I know it's not exactly 'copy that thing exactly', but it's worth thinking about!

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    Alex takes Al's hand, giving him a firm handshake and a smile. He eschews the towel, figuring that the candle pokemon Pidgey has morphed into has probably done a lot to dry them off.

"The name was an honest mistake that just sorta stuck. But that's an interesting perspective! If any of the gym's in this region have a blind leader, I guess Pidgey will have a definite advantage. No worries on the water, I have a Lotad back at home. A little water never...well, a little water never hurt anyone. Nice to meet you as well, Detective."

There's a rather loud 'bang' followed by a surprised yelp behind the two trainers.
    Richter limps over, somehow even more wet now, as a steaming mess escapes from the bottom of one of his jean pockets.

"Excuse me, but can I pain you for the towel that you're offering people?
    I fear my drying method is far from perfected.
    The name's Richter by the way."

Leaning heavily on his commandeered coffee trolley, Richter pulls into the next room.
    The cold metal side is helping his leg somewhat, and he also doubts whether he'd be able to dislodge North at the moment anyway.
    North has been put to use in the meantime holding some of the hot water containers shut, or rather he's asleep and is hugging his two hot water bottles. Either way.

Richter doesn't particularly want to move either, as the other trainers introduce themselves to the Professor.
    Instead, he listens intently to the Professor's answers as the others quiz him.

Finally, Richter makes his way to the Professor.
    "And I'm Richter of course.", figuring that everyone else had introduced themselves.
    "Pleased to meet you, Professor Sycamore".
    Richter fishes out his Johto Pokédex from his top pocket and hands it to the Professor to scan.

"Oh, and as for the invitation I believe there was mention of expenses..."
    Richter looks even more defeated as another blob of paper is pulled from a damp pocket.
    "Ah, well, what exactly was being provided there?"

Richter then leans in a bit.
    "And do you have any good leads as to future research directions?" he whispers furtively.
    "I mean,", regaining volume, "I have my own ideas, but it might be nice to a bit more.. directed".

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Kay wrote: »
    Question: If Pidgey Transforms into another Pokémon, would they have the feminine traits regardless of the copied target if applicable (Pikachu heart tail, for instance), or would it be a complete copy? I know it's not exactly 'copy that thing exactly', but it's worth thinking about!
    Technically, Pidgey is sexless prior to transformation, so I'd like to imagine that the transformations are more like artist's interpretations of a given subject that it can immediately see than anything else. However, most of the time the greatest benefit to transforming into something would be to copy it as closely as possible. This also explains less experienced Ditto copying things poorly (i.e. Dittoface)

In a casual setting though, I don't see why a Ditto couldn't put a little style on its transformations, so long as it retains the original vision it was going for. If that means altering the gender of the target 'mon for it's own sake, I don't see why not. Especially since that is presumably how Dittos have become the masters of breeding other species, after all

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg