As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MechWarrior/Battletech] The Oosik Irregulars are going to become canon! *EVACUATE THREAD*

• SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Been mucking around with a LRM lance in the Battletech game. It's reasonably effective because the AI is dumb enough to try and chase your scout around mountains giving you a tonnage mismatch elsewhere (if a slim one) but the match takes FOREVER because you're kiting around and plinking with LRMs and PPCs until you run out of ammo and/or are forced to stand and fight (and you better hope you've worn off enough armor by then).

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Don't play tonight, servers are beyond wonky.
    servers have been shit since thursday.

earlier today I was in the 2xERLL raven and almost solo'd a Centurion and a Stalker, at the same time, when the game froze then disconnected me, and refused to let me sign back in.

Yeah but it was once in awhile not every game like it was for me tonight. Think I only have the UAV challenges left to do tomorrow so hopefully it's better.

Since the event started, I think the only wonkiness I've seen has been the single person either failing to connect in the beginning of the match or being disconnected during the match. This can be a problem when you're trying to do the Protected Light/Medium and your team's only assault is the one who drew the short-straw.

Well...and then there's the whole hitreg thing...but that's definitely not new.

You could have done the protected event in a light next to a heavy.

But yeah, servers have gotten pretty wonky now that PGI is embezzling all the MWO money away.

Wait what? What did I miss? Also how is it embezzling when it's their money to spend in the first place?

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Kashaar wrote: »

earlier today I was in the 2xERLL raven and almost solo'd a Centurion and a Stalker, at the same time, when the game froze then disconnected me, and refused to let me sign back in.

Yeah but it was once in awhile not every game like it was for me tonight. Think I only have the UAV challenges left to do tomorrow so hopefully it's better.

Since the event started, I think the only wonkiness I've seen has been the single person either failing to connect in the beginning of the match or being disconnected during the match. This can be a problem when you're trying to do the Protected Light/Medium and your team's only assault is the one who drew the short-straw.

But yeah, servers have gotten pretty wonky now that PGI is embezzling all the MWO money away.

Wait what? What did I miss? Also how is it embezzling when it's their money to spend in the first place?

PGI is making Mechwarrior 5, and presumably most of their personnel and resources are being directed there. I keep seeing things where people get upset about game studios or publishers using money from one project for something else and I don't get it personally. They call it embezzling and act like it's scandalous. They're businesses assigning (or reassigning) funds to what they think has better profit potential, nothing more, nothing less.

Pointless edit: To be clear, I'm not saying it doesn't suck when stuff like this happens, I'm just saying people should not talk about as though it were a criminal act.

No idea about the server comment though.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    In today's episode of Battletech in the Morning, I hack the game files some more to play with the Enforcer and Blackjack:

https://youtu.be/tyh8sJEBnxg

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    In today's episode of Battletech in the Morning, I hack the game files some more to play with the Enforcer and Blackjack:

https://youtu.be/tyh8sJEBnxg

Historical footage of Nips opening notepad hacking the game files.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYNnPx8fZBs

• KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    @Nips Your mission, should you accept it, is to NOT USE SUMO NEXT TIME GOD

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

Now I need to go think up of some stupid insane builds... Hmm, wonder how much I can stuff into the Jenner IIc...

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    Betsuni wrote: »

Now I need to go think up of some stupid insane builds... Hmm, wonder how much I can stuff into the Jenner IIc...

If you want ammo to actually do anything, 250XL, 4xLRM10, 4.5tons of ammo seems about it.

If you want ammo to actually do anything, 250XL, 4xLRM10, 4.5tons of ammo seems about it.

Pfft, useful? I want stupid... Oosik levels of stupid. We're talking about putting a Gauss on a Locust level of stupid.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular

Pfft, useful? I want stupid... Oosik levels of stupid. We're talking about putting a Gauss on a Locust level of stupid.

I'm pretty sure that's how we got the Hollander

kx3klFE.png
    edited June 2017
    bddz85b7t2if.jpg

2xERLL/ECM Arctic Cheetah.

Team was down by a huge margin, then I came in like theb33f and just dropped mech after mech. Picking off STs to kill XLs and boring CTs to kill STDS (except for a shockingly STD engined quickdraw)

was down to myself when there was like 3-4 mechs left..burned through all of them but the last assault.

Which was an LRM stalker.

I face hugged him and slowly burned through his CT while mocking in all chat that this is why you mount backup weapons, cause he was impotent against me with his LRM boat.

tldr: killed half the enemy team with 2 ER large lasers and good aim.

edit
    aaaaaand of course, used up all my begood in that match..next 3 are all filthy garbage sub 200 matches.

Buttcleft on
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

PGI is making Mechwarrior 5, and presumably most of their personnel and resources are being directed there. I keep seeing things where people get upset about game studios or publishers using money from one project for something else and I don't get it personally. They call it embezzling and act like it's scandalous. They're businesses assigning (or reassigning) funds to what they think has better profit potential, nothing more, nothing less.

Pointless edit: To be clear, I'm not saying it doesn't suck when stuff like this happens, I'm just saying people should not talk about as though it were a criminal act.

I'm just salty that PGI is diverting funds away from a game that I have been backing since closed beta, without actually ever finishing it. They are doing this because they know noone would back them for a new game honestly through kickstarter with them again having yet to finish the last game they started.

And this diversion has represented a reduction in their already glacial pace of development, and now is most evident in servers during events often being over worked and them reducing the refresh rate on event achievements to once an hour, from what used to be twice an hour, which itself was a reduction from every 15 minutes. All this even though game population has been dwindling.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
    edited June 2017

I'm just salty that PGI is diverting funds away from a game that I have been backing since closed beta, without actually ever finishing it. They are doing this because they know noone would back them for a new game honestly through kickstarter with them again having yet to finish the last game they started.

And this diversion has represented a reduction in their already glacial pace of development, and now is most evident in servers during events often being over worked and them reducing the refresh rate on event achievements to once an hour, from what used to be twice an hour, which itself was a reduction from every 15 minutes. All this even though game population has been dwindling.

Dwindling to such catastrophic levels that they are basically ignoring tier, the thing the implemented to fix elo, the thing they implemented to try to make potatoes not be dropped against ultra tryhards, just to fill out matches because the population is so disastrously low

All while trying to get more money from mechpacks, for less rewards. Because we got to fund Russ and Pauls fuckatorium the next big mechwarrior disaster.

Buttcleft on

Ah, yeah. Well, the way I see it there are great studios and... less great ones. Both are businesses that can do whatever the hell they want with their money. Sure, it might suck for players and damage the long-term value of their IP, but that's more like their own problem really...

Then again I'm no longer emotionally invested in the success of this game.

• Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular

What does "finishing" development even mean for MWO? You never "finish" developing f2p multiplayer games like these. You cease development when it no longer makes money for you or you have a new product to replace it.

sXXjb1B.png
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

Ah, yeah. Well, the way I see it there are great studios and... less great ones. Both are businesses that can do whatever the hell they want with their money. Sure, it might suck for players and damage the long-term value of their IP, but that's more like their own problem really...

Then again I'm no longer emotionally invested in the success of this game.

True, businesses can do anything they want with their money that is within the law.

And Consumers can purchase products or not for whatever reasons they choose.

And consumers who disagree with how a company operates are free to discuss thier reasoning to sway other consumers away from a company until it changes its operations or ceases to be a going concern.

People who keep repeating the first phrase just feels like pointless corporatist white knighting without any effort to address the substance of the complaint and instead reframe the discussion into some sort of legal framework.

or some useless 'I'm above it all' effort to stifle discussion.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    they'd certainly have more goodwill if they actually fixed the issues plaguing the game and didn't charge 40$ for mech *variants* at the time that I quit.

No idea how much mechs cost now. Same? more? less?

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular

What does "finishing" development even mean for MWO? You never "finish" developing f2p multiplayer games like these. You cease development when it no longer makes money for you or you have a new product to replace it.

Finish baking their half baked features for one. Unit coffers are still nothing more than money siphons draining the profits of of unit members to a useless pool.

Action balancing clan and Sphere should be a high priority. If they insist on facing clan and Sphere off against each other on equal terms in this game, then clan and Sphere mechs should be equally potent. Lore be dammed. They're the ones denying the Sphere their canonical advantages.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    they'd certainly have more goodwill if they actually fixed the issues plaguing the game and didn't charge 40$ for mech *variants* at the time that I quit.

With the current mechpack:

$15 for 3 Osiris chassis
    $20 for a 3-pack of the other chassis

Or, you can double those prices to include 30-days of active (looks like they got rid of the banked) premium time and a special (S) variant with 30% boosted Cbills earned

Add in another $30 on top of that last one (well, $20 for the Osiris) to also get 2 more variants for the specific chassis you buy.

So the breakdown basically comes out to be:

$15/3 light mechs
    $30/34 light mechs + premium time
    $50/57 light mechs + premium time
    $20/3 medium, heavy, or assault mechs
    $40/34 medium, heavy, or assault mechs + premium time
    $70/57 medium, heavy, or assault mechs + premium time

And if you want all the mechs in the pack? That'll be $240 (so, on par with the all-inclusive Clan Invasion pack pricing...for fewer mechs and no banked premium time)

EDIT - incorporated Kaboodles' corrections

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular

$15 for 3 Osiris chassis

Or, you can double those prices to include 30-days of active (looks like they got rid of the banked) premium time and a special (S) variant with 30% boosted Cbills earned

Add in another $30 on top of that last one (well, $20 for the Osiris) to also get 2 more variants for the specific chassis you buy.

$15/3 light mechs
    $30/4 light mechs + premium time
    $50/7 light mechs + premium time
    $40/6 medium, heavy, or assault mechs + premium time
    $70/7 medium, heavy, or assault mechs + premium time

And if you want all the mechs in the pack? That'll be $240 (so, on par with the all-inclusive Clan Invasion pack pricing...for fewer mechs and no banked premium time)

Not quite correct.

The $30/$40 "Collector" packs give you 4 total mechs. You get the 3 from the basic pack as well as the special variant .
    The "Ultimate" pack gives you everything in the Collector packs + 2 more standard variants and a hero, for a total of 7 mechs.

If you don't want to fork over for the "special" variant but still want all the rest, you can buy a basic pack with the reinforcement and hero addons. $35 for 6 light mechs or $50 for 6 medium+ mechs.

sXXjb1B.png
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2017

$15 for 3 Osiris chassis

$15/3 light mechs
    $30/4 light mechs + premium time
    $50/7 light mechs + premium time
    $40/6 medium, heavy, or assault mechs + premium time
    $70/7 medium, heavy, or assault mechs + premium time

Not quite correct.

The $30/$40 "Collector" packs give you 4 total mechs. You get the 3 from the basic pack as well as the special variant .
    The "Ultimate" pack gives you everything in the Collector packs + 2 more standard variants and a hero, for a total of 7 mechs.

If you don't want to fork over for the "special" variant but still want all the rest, you can buy a basic pack with the reinforcement and hero addons. $35 for 6 light mechs or $50 for 6 medium+ mechs.

Hang on...if it's anything like the Marauder IIc pack, the Special variant replaces the standard base variant.

EDIT - this interpretation is backed up by the Collector pack still only coming with 3 mechbaysokay, took an even closer look on the page, and I'm a full-on (unintentional) liar: collector pack comes with 4 mechbays. my apologies.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Does anyone have a timeline for open beta on Battletech? It's looking good, but all the footage up now has me nearly screaming "WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT" to the monitor

I'm shocked/relieved to see PGI hasn't changed one bit since the time I stopped playing a few years ago :D

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    MWO can never be "finished." F2P games are designed to jot be finished. They are just eventually discontinued.

F2P games aren't products, they are services.

Inquisitor on
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I'm finally going to have time to play the Battletech beta tomorrow, and I'm curious if I can just start the game at high quality? My PC is a little better than the recommending specs but I know those can be misleading when you want decent framerates (I've got an FX-8350 and 1050Ti, recommended are FX-6300, 950).

• BeornKBeornK Registered User regular
    re Battletech, for lrms, run a catapult, run through your ammo and mario stomp all the mechs. DFA hits way to often now. I'm really tempted to make a dfa/melee lance and not even bother shooting. Get as much jumpy tonnage as possible +angel of death and wreck the terrible bad ai...

DS0mQJS.png
    edited June 2017
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    MWO can never be "finished." F2P games are designed to jot be finished. They are just eventually discontinued.

It can be finished in the way that its feature complete on the promises made, without the glaring issues, without still being a obvious alpha.

Without wasting the one programmers time that still works on the game trying to create anti-grav technology to deal with the issues of a poorly designed wheel.

Buttcleft on
    Farangu wrote: »
    Does anyone have a timeline for open beta on Battletech? It's looking good, but all the footage up now has me nearly screaming "WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT" to the monitor

They said that it is going from closed beta to launch. Maybe they'll have a demo? Did they have a demo for Shadowrun?
    jgeis wrote: »
    I'm finally going to have time to play the Battletech beta tomorrow, and I'm curious if I can just start the game at high quality? My PC is a little better than the recommending specs but I know those can be misleading when you want decent framerates (I've got an FX-8350 and 1050Ti, recommended are FX-6300, 950).

I could try running it on my Surface Pro 2 and see how bad it runs. But I always try pushing a game over my specs at first then tweak it down if need be.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Farangu wrote: »

@Nips is legit about the best player I've seen so far. The MWO streamers who have been playing it are just driving me fucking nuts with their horrendous decisions. Especially wrt heat management.

And to answer your question I don't believe there's going to be an open beta. They're doing the closed beta for backers, and that's going to be for a month or so, and then that's going to go away, and then some time late summer early fall should be the straight up release.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    The one minor exception is probably Tribes Ascend, where after a couple of years of maintenance mode they put a small team on it to spend a year fixing up bugs and exploits, implementing features the remaining fanbase had been asking for and just generally making it a better game. That's stopped now, likely because the game will never again have enough of a population to be worth investing into, but I appreciated their efforts.

• nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular

Except PGI talked about how mechpacks were the only thing keeping the game running, but actually they have a whole second game under development and nothing seems to change with the first game everyone is paying them to work on.

I don't think anyone expects them to finish. Just get around to the stuff like the new Skill Tree, community warfare and information/role warfare that were all supposed to be done 3 years ago, but instead are all in states of "good enough" to completely fubar.

• CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    On one hand, Mechwarrior 5 is the game I originally wanted to play like eight goddamn years ago, so I'm fine with that taking precedence in development.

Really wish it were being developed by... basically anyone else, though.

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    so hey with mechwarrior 5, can I at least get all the mech variants without buying each one for 40$ after paying 60$ for the game? :P

oh also. maybe we'll get some competant modders to clean up whatever pgi ships out and we can metacampaign our own faction warfare ./salt

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Has anyone tried the freeware MC2 mod thing?

edit: http://www.moddb.com/mods/mechcommander-omnitech

Molybdenum on
    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    At 5 UAVs shot down and 3/30 on the challenge, I don't think I'm going to complete this one.

Not a lot of them going up after the skill tree.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    At 5 UAVs shot down and 3/30 on the challenge, I don't think I'm going to complete this one.

Not a lot of them going up after the skill tree.

I always hate the detect enemies with a uav challenge, always takes me like an hour to do.

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    so hey with mechwarrior 5, can I at least get all the mech variants without buying each one for 40$ after paying 60$ for the game? :P

oh also. maybe we'll get some competant modders to clean up whatever pgi ships out and we can metacampaign our own faction warfare ./salt

Man, Wolvesight (I think it was him anyway), was regaling us with tales of how awesome the old MW4 online community he played in was. Proper faction warfare with systems, planets, financing, logistics and all sorts and plenty of room for role-playing all the delightful silliness of MW. Made me really sad for what faction warfare became on MWO. I guess it's just really just an issue with how mechs are customised in this game. No-ones going to buy a bunch of mechs and expensive weapons if you then can only afford to run a stock mech on whatever front you're fighting on in faction warfare. Thinking about it though, it would actually be pretty cool if in a match when you saw a customised mech then it would actually be a big thing, all "Oh shit, that's InsertGuysName's custom Atlas, take fucking cover".

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    what do you actually need to do to 'detect' an enemy with a UAV? Does it just need to spot them on the minimap, or something else?

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the freeware MC2 mod thing?

edit: http://www.moddb.com/mods/mechcommander-omnitech

I will have to check this out tonight. I love MC2.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    I almost have enough C-Bills to get my Cauldron Born. The Nova-BK has been a good mech and I will continue to use it. But I think I am ready for something a little heavier.

As for MW5. My biggest hope is a lot of support for Co-Op missions. Managing my AI-Pilots in Mw4 was fun but actually being able to run missions with players would be so much fun.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)