As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

FBI: PAYBACK, THE ENTERTAINMENT EVENT OF THE SEASON, 10AMEST/7AMPST!

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    it was a serious question!

I did some quick check-up on Clinton's plan, and it seemed extremely optimistic - especially given a similar promise she made for job growth as a senator for upstate new york

plus the whole gaffe about putting coal miners out of work, which should be nothing considering that Trump only speaks in gaffes

well, no way to tell how it would have worked, I guess

but when her campaign praises the job creation of Obama's administration I grit my teeth, because it wasn't exactly ideal growth for folk at my income level

any time someone talks about however many straight months of job growth I just arch an eyebrow

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Label wrote: »
    I have to imagine Melania is smart enough to know that everything around her is going down in flames at the end.

I dunno - trophy wives tend not to realize that they are disposable and replaceable, even when they're number three or four.

Also, if Melania has noticed any pattern, it's that whenever everything goes down in flames, Donald doesn't get burned.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I dunno, that lawsuit she brought against the Mail didn't fill me with confidence in her astuteness and foresight.

I dont think she's allowed to actually be near the lawyers . Trump probably did all that.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I dunno, that lawsuit she brought against the Mail didn't fill me with confidence in her astuteness and foresight.

These theories remind me of how people look at Ivanka and Kusher, frankly

We know next to nothing about Melania beyond the lawsuit and how she is fine with openly dunking on her husband through body language

We probably shouldn't try to fill in the blanks left between those facts in any way that makes her relatable, as tempting as it can be

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

"19.5M Americans watched the Comey hearing, around the same number of those who tuned into Game 2 of the NBA Finals."

https://t.co/bX0WySz2g9

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    the georgia election is going to be a real litmus test. democrats are putting a lot of money and effort into it and winning it would be big

Maybe someone else hit on this but as a person in Atlanta I'm not holding my breath. It's still an r district, and while I see tons of signs for ossoff around me...we aren't in the district. It's the burbs. The same burbs that keep denying Marta expansion to keep out "urban elements" and keep making their own smaller towns in "fuck you got mine" fashion, cutting poorer parts of towns off to fend for themselves.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Like I remember when they posted the picture of the Trump family and the Pope, and everyone except Trump looked completely miserable, but Melania was like, in full 'widow at a funeral' garb with black dress and black veil

Dress for the job you want, I guess

That's the standard dress code for women meeting the pope. All black everything, very conservative, very demure.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Don't let facts get in the way of a good joke.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

the play is Shakespeare's Julius Caesar

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Ahahahahaha fuck those assholes

Fox News, not the performers

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    hahahaha the irony of it all

if they think that's bad they should've seen the musical I saw a couple years back that was literally a musical about the assisinations of various US Presidents from the assassin's view point

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Fox News has been a reliable source of fake news for decades now.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    wait someone is using Julius Caesar to express dissatisfaction with the current political regime?

Holy shit my monocle is poppin' at ballistic speed!

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Why are they assholes in this specific instance? Given their political leanings, it seems almost a subdued reaction.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

the play is Shakespeare's Julius Caesar

That seems like a poor fit, or like someone was intentionally trying to make a conservative version of it.

The story of Julius Caesar is about a leader who was progressive, popular with the people, despised by the old rich patrician white men in the senate, and eventually had his friends turned on him. The point is that the senator's claim he's grabbing too much power even though he's been openly denying power. His death leads to unpopular reforms to undo his changes and leads to a widening split in the republic that leads to civil war. Brutus comes to regret his part in the murder and his co-conspirators are killed. It's a tragedy because the senators use Brutus's honor and loyalty to Rome to convince him that by killing Caesar he'll be saving Rome, but in reality he brings about a civil war and over his defeat the next Triumvirate is formed and Rome at last formally slips from Republic to Empire. The people who kill Caesar are the bad guys.

If we're doing presidents, the better fit would be Roosevelt or Lincoln. If we're doing recent presidents, Obama would be a better fit.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    whitest kids you know ahead of its time

kinda

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEQOvyGbBtY

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    David_T wrote: »
    Why are they assholes in this specific instance? Given their political leanings, it seems almost a subdued reaction.
    Because this has been happening for literally decades

recasting a Shakespearean tragedy to reflect modern times, especially modern political figures, is the oldest of old hat

so going NYC PLAY ABOUT ASSASSINATION OF @POTUS (which means they are specifically referring to Trump as he is the holder of that account right now) when in reality it is "Someone does the President thing with Shakespeare for the hundreth time" is their typical hyper exaggerated escalationist bullshit

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    hahahaha the irony of it all

if they think that's bad they should've seen the musical I saw a couple years back that was literally a musical about the assisinations of various US Presidents from the assassin's view point

I remember hearing Sarah Vowell talk about that in the audio book for assassination vacation.

Good book BTW.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    David_T wrote: »
    Because this has been happening for literally decades

recasting a Shakespearean tragedy to reflect modern times, especially modern political figures, is the oldest of old hat

so going NYC PLAY ABOUT ASSASSINATION OF @POTUS (which means they are specifically referring to Trump as he is the holder of that account right now) when in reality it is "Someone does the President thing with Shakespeare for the hundreth time" is their typical hyper exaggerated escalationist bullshit

But they make it clear that it's Julius Caesar and the guy they have in the studio even says that he doesn't want to hammer the outrage button over it. And frankly, I can see both the point that it's not great to put these sorts of visuals out in this political climate and that if a play had cast Barack Obama as Caesar with such a visceral assassination scene, there would have been a lot of very angry people.

Then there's a lot of BS about, oh, how can taxes pay for this and specifically mentioning the corporate sponsors, but let's just say I was expecting much worse from Fox & Friends.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Julius Caesar was probably a bad fit, should have gone with like... Richard the Third or something instead

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Making Julius Caesar about Donald Trump is p dumb for like, the themes about Julius Caesar not fitting

but popping monocles over it is dumb as fuk

• Options
    I'd say maybe King Lear, but none of his spawn are good enough to be Cordelia

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I'd say maybe King Lear, but none of his spawn are good enough to be Cordelia

also there would be nothing tragic about Trump shouting into a thunderstorm.
    You could probably rewrite it as a pretty good farce, though.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Leslie Nielsen you were too perfect for this world

• Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    I mean, if you're gonna Shakespeare Trump, do Titus Andronicus with Trump as Tamora and America as Lavinia.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Julius Caesar was probably a bad fit, should have gone with like... Richard the Third or something instead

I'd say the Scottish play, personally. Trump ain't smart enough to be Richard.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

ok, but Bannon is playing the Lady

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

ok, but Bannon is playing the Lady

I was thinking Ivanka, but sure. Could Comey be our Banquo?

• Options
    Oghulk wrote: »
    whitest kids you know ahead of its time

kinda

Well at least they know why the Civil War was fought...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VxSFdAUfVM

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    trump is claudius

comey is hamlet

obama is hamlet's dad

jeff sessions is polonius

laertes is whoever comes after comey the most. i haven't really been following it. ophelia is obviously america

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Delta Airlines and Bank of America have pulled their sponsorships of the Public Theatre and Shakespeare in the Park

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Delta Airlines and Bank of America have pulled their sponsorships of the Public Theatre and Shakespeare in the Park

This is... deeply distressing.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

Two shitty companies come together to perform a shitty thing!

More at eleven!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Gotta show your loyalty to the tantrum-thrower in chief if you want those sweet sweet tax breaks...

• Options
    Bank of America needs those resources for laundering drug cartel money anyway.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Gotta show your loyalty to the tantrum-thrower in chief if you want those sweet sweet tax breaks...

Bank of America is a huge military contractor, I suspect it's more about trying to avoid the wrath of the bully-in-chief.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Bank of America should be on the terror watch list for a whole lot of reasons

This discussion has been closed.