As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

FBI: PAYBACK, THE ENTERTAINMENT EVENT OF THE SEASON, 10AMEST/7AMPST!

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Bank of America is also invested in the Dakota Access Pipeline

They suck butts

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Anyone who has ever banked with Bank of America is probably abundantly aware that they are Satan the Devil

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Anyone who has ever banked with Bank of America is probably abundantly aware that they are Satan the Devil

I'm not!

this has been a very upsetting night!

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    If you are going
    Maddoc wrote: »

You only notice if you fall into the category of customers they have decided to treat as fee cows. If you're banking entirely intra-state and don't flirt with overdrafts, you're fine.

But like hoo boy if you're a student or something?

fuggedaboutit

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Is US Bank particularly evil, that's who I use

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Is US Bank particularly evil, that's who I use

AFAIK banks in general (at least in the US) all seem to have some skeletons in the closet. Some have more than others, but as a rule, it doesn't seem to be the most moral or ethical of industries.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Delta Airlines and Bank of America have pulled their sponsorships of the Public Theatre and Shakespeare in the Park

Gotta show your loyalty to the tantrum-thrower in chief if you want those sweet sweet tax breaks...

Bank of America is a huge military contractor, I suspect it's more about trying to avoid the wrath of the bully-in-chief.

well, I guess this means they're still in the big pride parades :rotate:

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    edited June 2017

"BTW, there was a production of Julius Caesar in NYC in 2012 where Obama was Caesar and no one freaked out! cc @Delta https://t.co/YUWhcH4yDd https://t.co/L2bITQQ0LU "

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

"19.5M Americans watched the Comey hearing, around the same number of those who tuned into Game 2 of the NBA Finals."

https://t.co/bX0WySz2g9

You can see my back in that picture.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular

the play is Shakespeare's Julius Caesar

That seems like a poor fit, or like someone was intentionally trying to make a conservative version of it.

The story of Julius Caesar is about a leader who was progressive, popular with the people, despised by the old rich patrician white men in the senate, and eventually had his friends turned on him. The point is that the senator's claim he's grabbing too much power even though he's been openly denying power. His death leads to unpopular reforms to undo his changes and leads to a widening split in the republic that leads to civil war. Brutus comes to regret his part in the murder and his co-conspirators are killed. It's a tragedy because the senators use Brutus's honor and loyalty to Rome to convince him that by killing Caesar he'll be saving Rome, but in reality he brings about a civil war and over his defeat the next Triumvirate is formed and Rome at last formally slips from Republic to Empire. The people who kill Caesar are the bad guys.

If we're doing presidents, the better fit would be Roosevelt or Lincoln. If we're doing recent presidents, Obama would be a better fit.

That sounds like an incredibly generous interpretation of Julius Caesar's actions.

Just because someone's a populist doesn't make them a progressive, whatever that even means in late Republican Rome.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

That seems like a poor fit, or like someone was intentionally trying to make a conservative version of it.

The story of Julius Caesar is about a leader who was progressive, popular with the people, despised by the old rich patrician white men in the senate, and eventually had his friends turned on him. The point is that the senator's claim he's grabbing too much power even though he's been openly denying power. His death leads to unpopular reforms to undo his changes and leads to a widening split in the republic that leads to civil war. Brutus comes to regret his part in the murder and his co-conspirators are killed. It's a tragedy because the senators use Brutus's honor and loyalty to Rome to convince him that by killing Caesar he'll be saving Rome, but in reality he brings about a civil war and over his defeat the next Triumvirate is formed and Rome at last formally slips from Republic to Empire. The people who kill Caesar are the bad guys.

If we're doing presidents, the better fit would be Roosevelt or Lincoln. If we're doing recent presidents, Obama would be a better fit.

That sounds like an incredibly generous interpretation of Julius Caesar's actions.

Just because someone's a populist doesn't make them a progressive, whatever that even means in late Republican Rome.

Surprisingly, Shakespeare's play is not completely historically accurate.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular

I was gonna say, thanks for that reading, Antony

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

"19.5M Americans watched the Comey hearing, around the same number of those who tuned into Game 2 of the NBA Finals."

https://t.co/bX0WySz2g9

You can see my back in that picture.

Lewd.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    trump is bottom

except you end the play before he gets changed back

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    trump is bottom

but who would top trump

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    trump is bottom

except you end the play before he gets changed back

Just replace the donkey mask with a Trump mask, I say. It's much more embarrassing for Titania to fall in love with that than a regular ass.

• Options
    my suspension of disbelief would not stand up to anyone falling in love with that thing even under fairy magic

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    trump is bottom

but who would top trump
    Melania, with the largest strap-on she can find.

sig.gif
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

He extended voting rights, citizenship, and opened the positions in government to people outside of Rome itself. He pardoned most of his enemies instead of the traditional prescription (IE, kill them and take their stuff). He reworked the tax and governorship systems to be fairer to the cities and provinces outside Rome, so that they hopefully wouldn't be besieged by one governor pillaging the people for their own gain after another. He reworked the grain dole to exclude wealthier patricians who had been exploiting it to the detriment of the poor.

He was a dictator, but he also took great care to include provincials in the processes of Rome, people who were previously nothing more than exploited resources.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    ehhhhhhhh I wouldn't be super quick to look at any part of an old culture in a particularly positive or negative light, given severe differences in circumstance

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    ehhhhhhhh I wouldn't be super quick to look at any part of an old culture in a particularly positive or negative light, given severe differences in circumstance

You don't have to say it would be good for today in order to say it was good for the times. And Caesar had two predecessors to the role of absolute dictator, Marius and Sulla, that put a pin in how different his rule was.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Julius Caesar was overall a good leader for Rome, for the time that he was leader.

It's probably a good thing (for his image, if nothing else) that he was assassinated before that could change.

• Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    "the establishment hated Caesar and murdered him for being a based dictator" sounds exactly like the right's narrative of trump

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    It still blows my mind a little bit that thousands of years later we still have a month named after him.

• Options
  • Options
    Tube wrote: »
    It still blows my mind a little bit that thousands of years later we still have a month named after him.

Julisember?

• Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular

He is also the reason we have 12 months instead of 10, and the months named after him and Augustus were specifically given 31 days in their honour.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Thank goodness they went for superior highly composite numbers instead of weak awkward metric ones

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular

Julisember?

Yep. Exactly. Got it in one.

• Options
    As a child I always assumed that one day I would know how many days are in each month. This did not come to pass.

• Options
    As a child I always assumed that one day I would know how many days are in each month. This did not come to pass.

I finally got the knuckle counting thing to work a couple of years back, and now I'm pretty good at it.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular

Anybody with the skill to do so is probably a witch imho

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options

30 days hath september, april, june, and november

all the rest have 31, excepting february

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular

I know the jingle too, but if you randomly asked me 'hey how many days are there in June?' I'd have to say it in my head until I got to that part.

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular

Here's one for prime numbers under 100:
    Prime numbers under 100 are: 2,3,5,7,11,13,17,19,23,29,31,37,41,43,47,53,59,61,67,71,73,79,83,89,97
    The rest aren't

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Regarding banks, I used to bank with Washington Mutual until they introduced fees for not keeping your account up to a certain amount monthly, among other nickle and diming. I was livid and went straight to my local branch and closed out all of my accounts.

It wasn't hasty thinking though. I had long considered joining USAA since my dad is retired Air Force and this was a great opportunity to do so. I signed up, got everything going, and have never looked back. I get a check I can take a picture with my phone and it's in my account instantly, I have my auto loan and both insurances through them, and they waive the fees from ATM's that charge me for withdrawals a set number of times a month. Also no bullshit fees. It's fantastic.

• Options
    Put your two fists together in front of you, so that the knuckles of your forefingers are touching. Then start counting hills and valleys - if they're a knuckle, it's a month with 31 days, if it's the space between, then it has 30 (unless it's February - I recommend getting a sweet scar there to make that one look a bit different).

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular

all the rest have 31, excepting february, the little punk. Can't even make up its mind and switches how many it has every four years.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Banks suck unless you're rich. Credit unions are the way to go for us peons. USAA is great if you can get it. If not, look for something in the shared branching credit union network. Get your money out of the bank and into a place that doesn't see you as a fee farm that they intend to harvest.

• Options
    BlueBlue wrote: »

Here's one for prime numbers under 100:
    Prime numbers under 100 are: 2,3,5,7,11,13,17,19,23,29,31,37,41,43,47,53,59,61,67,71,73,79,83,89,97
    The rest aren't

I was trying to formulate my response to that non-mnemonic and this is more wonderful and concise a way of doing it than I could ever have devised.

This discussion has been closed.