As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MechWarrior/Battletech] The Oosik Irregulars are going to become canon! *EVACUATE THREAD*

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Kashaar wrote: »
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Don't play tonight, servers are beyond wonky.
    servers have been shit since thursday.

earlier today I was in the 2xERLL raven and almost solo'd a Centurion and a Stalker, at the same time, when the game froze then disconnected me, and refused to let me sign back in.

Yeah but it was once in awhile not every game like it was for me tonight. Think I only have the UAV challenges left to do tomorrow so hopefully it's better.

Since the event started, I think the only wonkiness I've seen has been the single person either failing to connect in the beginning of the match or being disconnected during the match. This can be a problem when you're trying to do the Protected Light/Medium and your team's only assault is the one who drew the short-straw.

Well...and then there's the whole hitreg thing...but that's definitely not new.

You could have done the protected event in a light next to a heavy.

But yeah, servers have gotten pretty wonky now that PGI is embezzling all the MWO money away.

Wait what? What did I miss? Also how is it embezzling when it's their money to spend in the first place?

PGI is making Mechwarrior 5, and presumably most of their personnel and resources are being directed there. I keep seeing things where people get upset about game studios or publishers using money from one project for something else and I don't get it personally. They call it embezzling and act like it's scandalous. They're businesses assigning (or reassigning) funds to what they think has better profit potential, nothing more, nothing less.

Pointless edit: To be clear, I'm not saying it doesn't suck when stuff like this happens, I'm just saying people should not talk about as though it were a criminal act.

No idea about the server comment though.

Ah, yeah. Well, the way I see it there are great studios and... less great ones. Both are businesses that can do whatever the hell they want with their money. Sure, it might suck for players and damage the long-term value of their IP, but that's more like their own problem really...

Then again I'm no longer emotionally invested in the success of this game.

True, businesses can do anything they want with their money that is within the law.

And Consumers can purchase products or not for whatever reasons they choose.

And consumers who disagree with how a company operates are free to discuss thier reasoning to sway other consumers away from a company until it changes its operations or ceases to be a going concern.

People who keep repeating the first phrase just feels like pointless corporatist white knighting without any effort to address the substance of the complaint and instead reframe the discussion into some sort of legal framework.

or some useless 'I'm above it all' effort to stifle discussion.

I'm not trying to "stick up for the big guy" or stifle discussion, I'm just saying maybe measure your words so you don't sound like a spoiled child. I'm certainly not "above it all"; I just recently got called out for saying something that came across like entitled whining in a post over in the G&T Overwatch thread, and I went back and edited that post because they were right. Embezzling funds is a crime. Moving support from something that never lived up to its promises over to a different project we have misgivings about is letting the community down. There's a bit of a difference. It's not my intention to single you out, either; as I was saying in the first post about it, I've seen quite a lot of different people (on different sites) use similar hyperbole with various game companies over the past several years and I was mostly making a comment on that trend.

I'm sorry if this ruffled anyone's feathers.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    so hey with mechwarrior 5, can I at least get all the mech variants without buying each one for 40$ after paying 60$ for the game? :P

oh also. maybe we'll get some competant modders to clean up whatever pgi ships out and we can metacampaign our own faction warfare ./salt

Man, Wolvesight (I think it was him anyway), was regaling us with tales of how awesome the old MW4 online community he played in was. Proper faction warfare with systems, planets, financing, logistics and all sorts and plenty of room for role-playing all the delightful silliness of MW. Made me really sad for what faction warfare became on MWO. I guess it's just really just an issue with how mechs are customised in this game. No-ones going to buy a bunch of mechs and expensive weapons if you then can only afford to run a stock mech on whatever front you're fighting on in faction warfare. Thinking about it though, it would actually be pretty cool if in a match when you saw a customised mech then it would actually be a big thing, all "Oh shit, that's InsertGuysName's custom Atlas, take fucking cover".

yes, seeing Mvrk's Reaper, or any highly customized mech, would be a big fucking deal if there was only one or two pilots successful enough to scrape the funds and salvage required to put them together. And by the same token, you wouldn't deploy it on a milk run mission either. The payment and misallocation of material means that it wouldnt be available for that all important mission on Twycross or Tukayyid when its just scraping 3rd rate highwaymen and pirates off its boot.

haha... this got me thinking... the reason medium lasers are so prevalent is because they are cost effective for their weight, price, and performance on the battlefield, but that precludes an infinite availability of all weapon systems. Watch the price of medium lasers (or any other weapon system) explode when production can't meet the demand of the conflict.

"Sorry bro, medium lasers are running twice the price of PPCs."
    "I need medium lasers, I can't fit a PPC in my mech."

wow, do you even fully commit to the engagement then? What about waving the flag of surrender?
    Better to pay the ransom than to lose your mech in its entirety and be stripped to salvage.

I'd be interested in a campaign like that if ever there was enough people to support that granularity of the conflict.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    what do you actually need to do to 'detect' an enemy with a UAV? Does it just need to spot them on the minimap, or something else?

It feels like you need to pop a UAV on top of a bunch of enemies that havent been scouted yet, and then when they get targeted using your UAV it scouts them.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Don't play tonight, servers are beyond wonky.
    servers have been shit since thursday.

earlier today I was in the 2xERLL raven and almost solo'd a Centurion and a Stalker, at the same time, when the game froze then disconnected me, and refused to let me sign back in.

Yeah but it was once in awhile not every game like it was for me tonight. Think I only have the UAV challenges left to do tomorrow so hopefully it's better.

Since the event started, I think the only wonkiness I've seen has been the single person either failing to connect in the beginning of the match or being disconnected during the match. This can be a problem when you're trying to do the Protected Light/Medium and your team's only assault is the one who drew the short-straw.

Well...and then there's the whole hitreg thing...but that's definitely not new.

You could have done the protected event in a light next to a heavy.

But yeah, servers have gotten pretty wonky now that PGI is embezzling all the MWO money away.

Wait what? What did I miss? Also how is it embezzling when it's their money to spend in the first place?

PGI is making Mechwarrior 5, and presumably most of their personnel and resources are being directed there. I keep seeing things where people get upset about game studios or publishers using money from one project for something else and I don't get it personally. They call it embezzling and act like it's scandalous. They're businesses assigning (or reassigning) funds to what they think has better profit potential, nothing more, nothing less.

Pointless edit: To be clear, I'm not saying it doesn't suck when stuff like this happens, I'm just saying people should not talk about as though it were a criminal act.

No idea about the server comment though.

Ah, yeah. Well, the way I see it there are great studios and... less great ones. Both are businesses that can do whatever the hell they want with their money. Sure, it might suck for players and damage the long-term value of their IP, but that's more like their own problem really...

Then again I'm no longer emotionally invested in the success of this game.

True, businesses can do anything they want with their money that is within the law.

And Consumers can purchase products or not for whatever reasons they choose.

And consumers who disagree with how a company operates are free to discuss thier reasoning to sway other consumers away from a company until it changes its operations or ceases to be a going concern.

People who keep repeating the first phrase just feels like pointless corporatist white knighting without any effort to address the substance of the complaint and instead reframe the discussion into some sort of legal framework.

or some useless 'I'm above it all' effort to stifle discussion.

I'm not trying to "stick up for the big guy" or stifle discussion, I'm just saying maybe measure your words so you don't sound like a spoiled child. I'm certainly not "above it all"; I just recently got called out for saying something that came across like entitled whining in a post over in the G&T Overwatch thread, and I went back and edited that post because they were right. Embezzling funds is a crime. Moving support from something that never lived up to its promises over to a different project we have misgivings about is letting the community down. There's a bit of a difference. It's not my intention to single you out, either; as I was saying in the first post about it, I've seen quite a lot of different people (on different sites) use similar hyperbole with various game companies over the past several years and I was mostly making a comment on that trend.

I'm sorry if this ruffled anyone's feathers.

Fine, PGI is actively making MWO worse by diverting funds needed for servers to support the currently shrinking player base to their new development project. Which I am sure isnt going to encourage a further exodus of players creating a deathspiral, which will leave PGI with 2 unfinished games, and no more players in MWO to divert funds from.

No hyperbole, just the facts.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    so hey with mechwarrior 5, can I at least get all the mech variants without buying each one for 40$ after paying 60$ for the game? :P

oh also. maybe we'll get some competant modders to clean up whatever pgi ships out and we can metacampaign our own faction warfare ./salt

Man, Wolvesight (I think it was him anyway), was regaling us with tales of how awesome the old MW4 online community he played in was. Proper faction warfare with systems, planets, financing, logistics and all sorts and plenty of room for role-playing all the delightful silliness of MW. Made me really sad for what faction warfare became on MWO. I guess it's just really just an issue with how mechs are customised in this game. No-ones going to buy a bunch of mechs and expensive weapons if you then can only afford to run a stock mech on whatever front you're fighting on in faction warfare. Thinking about it though, it would actually be pretty cool if in a match when you saw a customised mech then it would actually be a big thing, all "Oh shit, that's InsertGuysName's custom Atlas, take fucking cover".

yes, seeing Mvrk's Reaper, or any highly customized mech, would be a big fucking deal if there was only one or two pilots successful enough to scrape the funds and salvage required to put them together. And by the same token, you wouldn't deploy it on a milk run mission either. The payment and misallocation of material means that it wouldnt be available for that all important mission on Twycross or Tukayyid when its just scraping 3rd rate highwaymen and pirates off its boot.

haha... this got me thinking... the reason medium lasers are so prevalent is because they are cost effective for their weight, price, and performance on the battlefield, but that precludes an infinite availability of all weapon systems. Watch the price of medium lasers (or any other weapon system) explode when production can't meet the demand of the conflict.

wow, do you even fully commit to the engagement then? What about waving the flag of surrender?
    Better to pay the ransom than to lose your mech in its entirety and be stripped to salvage.

I'd be interested in a campaign like that if ever there was enough people to support that granularity of the conflict.

Flag of surrender? That's how you end up a bondsman.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    very true, but surrender in the IS was common, and exchange for pilots or mech systems for ransom wasn't uncommon.
    Remember, the entire governmental structure of this universe is based on feudal lords and their vassals.
    The allegories are almost on a one to one equivalency with mechs being armor and swords and pilots being akin to knights

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    In today's episode of Battletech in the AM: SRMs, SRMs everywhere:

https://youtu.be/sKBtNIx45rs

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular

In the league I was in before, the cost of weapons were not charged, but the mechs were very expensive. If you lost a battle too badly, it may severely limit your ability to fight in future battles for months to come. A few times, units even went bankrupt and basically had to leave the league.

My unit was involved in a 2+ month-long planetary assault against Clan Jade Falcon at one point (this is over a decade ago, by the way). Since you could only put so many mechs on the planet at the start of the fight, and you had to actually list what mechs you did drop in the website's automation; you could be extremely limted on what you could bring to each drop. Near the end of the engagement, there was a severely heavy drop coming up where nearly every pilot could be driving a Heavy or Assault class mech. By that point, my unit was running a bit low on heavies, and assaults were down in the single digits. I decided we'd run the next two extremely heavy drops using nothing but light mechs (which we had plenty) and one or two cheap medium mechs we could throw away. In this league, only Clan mechs could use Clan tech, and IS mechs could use IS tech. You could salvage mechs from the other side of the conflict, but they were a bit rare and expensive to maintain. Of course, this meant that the IS teams were incredibly outmatched when going toe-to-toe with the Clans, so we had to evolve different strategies and such to overcome our tech disadvantages. Well, when we engaged with the first heavy drop, we actually won with our heaviest mech being a Hellspawn, I believe. It wasn't even close really. In the 8v8 engagement, we only lost 2 or 3 mechs. In the second drop, we also won, but this time we didn't lose a single mech. I later heard some recordings of the other team's comms during these fights and it was hilariously bad with all the yelling, shouting, and complete disarray they were in. After those two drops, Jade Falcon had to withdraw from the planet (leaving a good bit of salvage behind) and nearly bankrupted themselves in the process. They could barely even defend their own worlds afterwards.

Don't get me wrong, the system wasn't perfect and was prone to abuse by some people, but it was a lot of fun and really leant itself to giving each fight meaning. There was an overall map where you could see the ongoing fights. there were automatic reports generated for who won what and where. The players also got into the mix by roleplaying up specific engagements and rivalries. So yeah, it was a good time. Hopefully someone, at some point, can come up with something similar in the future.

253J736.png
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    The above reminds me of how things started trending in the KALI days during MechWarrior 2. Good times. It's amazing how much MechWarrior lends itself to those style leagues.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Btech being shown on the PC E3 livestream right now.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    E3 https://www.pcgamingshow.com/

Interviewing Jordan on Battletech.

Showing the Argo, your spaceship / mercenary command center.

• nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    E3 https://www.pcgamingshow.com/

Interviewing Jordan on Battletech.

Showing the Argo, your spaceship / mercenary command center.

Day9 with the interview. Looking nice, those character models are really a big jump up in production quality from the Shadowrun games.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    4rwjh0haruhc.jpg
    kj6ip6o7jz07.jpg

edited June 2017
    Snuck in a few more games of the Beta over the weekend. AC10s and SRMs are really good. AC10s are possibly the single best weapon doing the equivalent of 15 TT damage, SRM6's put out slightly less at 60, 10 damage per missile. The stability effect is crazy, and at 3 tons, you'll want to boat them on everything in the campaign. The Medium Laser is also just as crazy as it was back in the MWO beta. The Hunchback 4P punches way above its own weight, and the Battlemaster 1G is a workhorse. AC10 Centurion is best Centurion. Big energy weapons like the Large Laser and PPC are pretty disappointing, its hard to exploit their extra range.

I took out my 2 Awesome / Jager / Locust team to see how well I could abuse LRMs with Sensor Lock. Results were somewhat underwhelming against a Commando/2xJager/Battlemaster lance. LRM15s do 60 damage on a rare perfect shot, which is pretty low when you are spreading it out over the entire mech. By contrast, my Victor/3 Urbie lance drills out CTs like a well oiled machine. My Jagermech shot stuff so hard its arms fell off (thanks overheat damage.) I ended up sanding off all their armor, and then missing kill shots punching the arms off of the Battlemaster while it stuck its fist through one of my Awesome's CT.

Unless you underton yourself, its pretty easy to beat the AI taking 1 loss, and if you're a little more patient, none at all. What's up with the fourth mech walking back and forth refusing to join the fight? Its hard to know what will be the most efficient way to tackle missions in the campaign. I can't imagine pouring tons of LRMs into targets will pay off.

Youtube clip is up:
    https://youtu.be/IBJ7fbbTDA0

nonoffensive on
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Youtube clip is up:

YOU CAN TRY TO HIDE IT BUT I SAW IT, I SAW THE URBANMECH BETWEEN THE SHADOWHAWK AND THE CATAPULT

WHY DID YOU SKIP IT?! WHY!

UNPREORDER CANCELLED!

• DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    All this HBS BT hype has gotten me in a BattleTech mood so MWO is reinstalled.

I last played in 2012 or 13. Certainly before there were Clans. Adjusting has been...interesting. I really like the Night Gyr, though. 2xERPPC, 2x UAC-5. Good times.

• Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    MWO can never be "finished." F2P games are designed to jot be finished. They are just eventually discontinued.

F2P games aren't products, they are services.

It can be finished in the way that its feature complete on the promises made, without the glaring issues, without still being a obvious alpha.

Without wasting the one programmers time that still works on the game trying to create anti-grav technology to deal with the issues of a poorly designed wheel.

Snuck in a few more games of the Beta over the weekend. AC10s and SRMs are really good. AC10s are possibly the single best weapon doing the equivalent of 15 TT damage, SRM6's put out slightly less at 60, 10 damage per missile. The stability effect is crazy, and at 3 tons, you'll want to boat them on everything in the campaign. The Medium Laser is also just as crazy as it was back in the MWO beta. The Hunchback 4P punches way above its own weight, and the Battlemaster 1G is a workhorse. AC10 Centurion is best Centurion. Big energy weapons like the Large Laser and PPC are pretty disappointing, its hard to exploit their extra range.

I took out my 2 Awesome / Jager / Locust team to see how well I could abuse LRMs with Sensor Lock. Results were somewhat underwhelming against a Commando/2xJager/Battlemaster lance. LRM15s do 60 damage on a rare perfect shot, which is pretty low when you are spreading it out over the entire mech. By contrast, my Victor/3 Urbie lance drills out CTs like a well oiled machine. My Jagermech shot stuff so hard its arms fell off (thanks overheat damage.) I ended up sanding off all their armor, and then missing kill shots punching the arms off of the Battlemaster while it stuck its fist through one of my Awesome's CT.

Unless you underton yourself, its pretty easy to beat the AI taking 1 loss, and if you're a little more patient, none at all. What's up with the fourth mech walking back and forth refusing to join the fight? Its hard to know what will be the most efficient way to tackle missions in the campaign. I can't imagine pouring tons of LRMs into targets will pay off.

Youtube clip is up:

Some very Halo-esque music in there. Maybe a bit of Deus Ex.

sXXjb1B.png
    edited June 2017
    That piece in particular strikes me as Neverwinter Nights meets Deus Ex. Definitely some Lord of the Rings style tracks too. The soundtrack seems to skew more to fantasy end of things so far.

nonoffensive on
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Played 3 games of BT beta this morning, definitely liking it so far. All three of my games ended in a big slugfest between my last unit and the enemy's last unit.

• KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    @Nips didn't use Sumo. <3

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
    Kay wrote: »
    @Nips didn't use Sumo. <3

I'm not sure how long my willpower will hold out. He's too good, and too charmingly derpy, not to use! But I will prevail for now. I've got some ideas for different play setups to try, that don't just involve using the pilots with the best Gunnery.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    So I was super busy last week and even though I haven't played MWO in ages I still lurk in the thread. So hey, the OOSIKs are official? That's pretty awesome. Nice work to the folks who got that through. Just rewatched the tournament match that was posted a few pages back. Such good times.

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    I would have been super hype for more Xcom, but Battletech took Xcom lunch.

Seriously, I'm glad that we finally have what appears to be a good Battletech game once again.

• MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    Is the beta worth a buy-in? Is this going to be one of those "Hey it's 2019 and we're releasing beta patch 0.7.2.A5.002.D.2 - codename 'Babylon' - so that's good and maybe we'll actually release by 2020" things or do they actually have a release in the near future

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    The beta is strictly that- A beta. SP Skirmish only ,MP will come and then stay online for at least 4 weeks

Company is Harebrained Schemes, HBS, they have delivered so far with their Shadowrun games, which I all loved and which all stood by the promises made.

So.. Outlook good?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    I mean I spent like 50 hours each in those three shadowrun games... They are awesome as fuck! There's a ton of beta gameplay on youtube available, plus new videos from E3, so you can get a fair picture of what's available.

They buy in for beta access is at least $50, which isn't cheap, but still not more than the price of a full price game.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    Is the beta worth a buy-in? Is this going to be one of those "Hey it's 2019 and we're releasing beta patch 0.7.2.A5.002.D.2 - codename 'Babylon' - so that's good and maybe we'll actually release by 2020" things or do they actually have a release in the near future

no, it's very much a beta of the combat system and will end at some point this summer (after they get a month of testing PvP in)

the developers are really proactive about putting themselves out there and keeping everyone abreast of exactly what's up with the game and where things stand and what will and will not be in it and when we can expect developments. If you're curious I strongly recommend checking out their archive of monthly Q&A livestreams as well as the two multiplayer PVP matches they've demoed.

rRwz9.gif
    Here's what I'll say about buying into the beta today:
    The beta, as its been released, is extremely limited. It is only lance on lance skirmishes vs. an AI opponent. That's it; no other modes, or ancillary parts of the game (Mech Lab). Without tinkering with the game files, the list of 'Mechs is fixed; though sizeable, it doesn't contain every chassis that will be released in the final product. There are only five maps, though each map has a number of time of day/weather condition options.

HBS has a solid track record of delivering on their finished products, and BT is supposed to be out this year. Unless you have a deep, deep desire to play a tactical 'Mech game right now, I'd save your money for the final product.

That said, if your mania is like mine, and you can't fucking wait, fucking throw your money at HBS and get in on this action. It's soo good.

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

you can't use LRMs as your primary damage source becuase they tend to sandpaper armor off the entire mech, but they are fantastic at knockdowns - having a trebuchet or catapult drop a bad guy to the ground so your lancemate with the ac-10 can make a called headshot is a very valid tactic - and since their hit locations are rolled individually, instead of in tranches of 5 like the tabletop, they're murderous crit-seekers. If you throw 20 LRMs at an enemy with an exposed internal somewhere at least one of your missiles will find it.

rRwz9.gif
    I saw Jacob had posted in the thread and I thought for sure we were gonna be yelled at for something.

Didnt expect him to be a mechhead :D

Jacobkosh wrote: »

you can't use LRMs as your primary damage source becuase they tend to sandpaper armor off the entire mech, but they are fantastic at knockdowns - having a trebuchet or catapult drop a bad guy to the ground so your lancemate with the ac-10 can make a called headshot is a very valid tactic - and since their hit locations are rolled individually, instead of in tranches of 5 like the tabletop, they're murderous crit-seekers. If you throw 20 LRMs at an enemy with an exposed internal somewhere at least one of your missiles will find it.

I was trying to kill stuff before it could see me using Sensor Lock. Things didn't work out as planned, although... you could always get lucky. I just like stacking a single weapon type to see if any balance issues become visible. I think LRMs are pretty well balanced. Putting a guy with Precision Strike in a Cent A or Hunchback 4G is a great way to finish targets and having a well rounded lance is pleasantly effective.

Supposedly the stat bonuses to avoid knockdowns from Piloting and avoid injuries with Guts aren't in the Beta, so I wonder if knockdowns will be harder to come by in the final release. Getting hit in the head currently seems like instant Unsteady, and then missiles continue to inflict tons of balance damage.

I saw Jacob had posted in the thread and I thought for sure we were gonna be yelled at for something.

Didnt expect him to be a mechhead :D

I'm not a G&T mod, so I do not bring the darkness and the green fire with me into this place. But I am absolutely a mech nerd and I've been an unreptentant hype machine for Battletech for months, because I love the world and I love the developers; it's just that MWO has never really been my thing, since I need some story content to sink my teeth into.

I was trying to kill stuff before it could see me using Sensor Lock. Things didn't work out as planned, although... you could always get lucky. I just like stacking a single weapon type to see if any balance issues become visible. I think LRMs are pretty well balanced. Putting a guy with Precision Strike in a Cent A or Hunchback 4G is a great way to finish targets and having a well rounded lance is pleasantly effective.

Supposedly the stat bonuses to avoid knockdowns from Piloting and avoid injuries with Guts aren't in the Beta, so I wonder if knockdowns will be harder to come by in the final release. Getting hit in the head currently seems like instant Unsteady, and then missiles continue to inflict tons of balance damage.

Yeah, it's going to be really interesting seeing just how influential pilot skills end up being in the finished product. The guys we have access to in the beta seem like they're pretty high end - everyone has a stat at 8 and a couple at 5 or 6 - so KDs and pilot injuries may be wildly less likely with them in the full game's skirmish mode, but conversely way more likely in the SP campaign when you're rolling with starter pilots who have 2s and 3s in everything.

rRwz9.gif
    I also need my story stuff.. I loved their work on shadowrun so much, I'm pretty stoked for this game!

I almost bought the coasters... I need new coasters anyways...

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

I've had decent success with killing pilots cia repeated knockdowns.

As long as Battletech captures 50% of the magic that MechCommander had..it'll be great.

God i still remember that early MechCommander mission..You were supposed to lure the Mad Cat into a field of explosive storage vats to destroy it.

But..but if you kept yourself long range, and ordered your mechs to aim for the cockpit..Maybe..just maybe you could capture that thing..and completely break the next like 5 missions.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I would characterize it more as a tech demo than a beta; "beta" usually implies something that's much closer to feature-complete than this is

still, it seems pretty cool. Assuming it winds up being something close to xcom with mechs I'll definitely get it whenever they launch.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    As long as Battletech captures 50% of the magic that MechCommander had..it'll be great.

God i still remember that early MechCommander mission..You were supposed to lure the Mad Cat into a field of explosive storage vats to destroy it.

But..but if you kept yourself long range, and ordered your mechs to aim for the cockpit..Maybe..just maybe you could capture that thing..and completely break the next like 5 missions.

You just described the reason why I kept loading and replaying the first mission in MechCommander 2. The last mech on the field was a damaged Timber Wolf, and the very first time I played the game, I managed to capture it...then the game crashed and I lost that save. It's been my mission ever since to re-capture that thing and ride it to glory.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    So as a follow-up to my own question about Battletech's system requirements, it seems like the game is really bound by available RAM. On my desktop (FX-8350, 1050Ti, 16GB RAM), the game loads quickly and runs smoothly even at 1080p with high quality graphics. I tried to run the game on my old laptop (Core 2 Duo, Radeon Mobility 3470, 4GB RAM) and watched Task Manager. I loaded into the skirmish selection screen quickly at 720p/low graphics and everything responded quickly. When I went to load the actual skirmish the game basically froze as RAM utilization jumped up to 95%, meanwhile CPU utilization never rose above about 45%.

jgeis on

On my last MC playthrough, I managed to snag that beautiful beast.

It was a hell of a thing, to have that through the rest of the campaign.

Nips wrote: »

On my last MC playthrough, I managed to snag that beautiful beast.

It was a hell of a thing, to have that through the rest of the campaign.

I always snagged it.

because I'm a piece of shit that savescummed the fuck out of that because Its a fucking Timber Wolf gimme gimme