As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

West 2017 Hotel Partners

• jthom252jthom252 Duarte, CARegistered User regular
    edited July 2019

jthom252 on
  • MarinoMarino Giant Bomb Moderator / League of Heels Webmaster Macon, GARegistered User regular
    Deimir wrote: »
    Crowne Plaza is my favorite. This will be my 11th time at West overall, and my 6th time at Crowne. It's nearby enough that I can pop in easily if I just need to sit down by myself for a bit, and just far enough off the beaten path that I don't have to swim through a crowd of attendees and scalpers to get there and back.

I've stayed there three times. That hike back up the hill at the end of the day makes me want to avoid ever staying there again.

• Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Marino wrote: »
    Crowne Plaza is my favorite. This will be my 11th time at West overall, and my 6th time at Crowne. It's nearby enough that I can pop in easily if I just need to sit down by myself for a bit, and just far enough off the beaten path that I don't have to swim through a crowd of attendees and scalpers to get there and back.

I've stayed there three times. That hike back up the hill at the end of the day makes me want to avoid ever staying there again.

The trick I figured out the one year I stayed at Crowne Plaza is that you don't come out the front of the convention center and walk up 5th; if you cut through Freeway Park behind the WSCC, you stay on relatively the same level as the Crowne Plaza lobby and can avoid having to walk uphill.

The only drawback is that Freeway Park has exceptionally terrible lighting, so taking that route at night is hella creepy.

[IMG][/img]
  • Croatian SensationCroatian Sensation Registered User regular

The trick I figured out the one year I stayed at Crowne Plaza is that you don't come out the front of the convention center and walk up 5th; if you cut through Freeway Park behind the WSCC, you stay on relatively the same level as the Crowne Plaza lobby and can avoid having to walk uphill.

The only drawback is that Freeway Park has exceptionally terrible lighting, so taking that route at night is hella creepy.

Yeah, I don't recommend walking through the freeway park at night. Did it last year and it provided a very awkward experience lol

• IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular

I usually end up cutting through the Union Square plaza, which avoids the park and lands me within a block of the Crowne.

• DeimirDeimir Registered User regular
    Nuuu, my super secret route has been discovered! But yeah, Union plaza makes the walk back and forth a breeze.

Time off: done. Hotel: ??? Travel: ??? Badges: ???
    PAX Prime attendance: '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16
  • dragon keeper xdragon keeper x Registered User regular
    Just curious. Has anyone here ever used their Starwood Preferred Guest points at the Sheraton for free room nights at PAX before? I have rooms booked through onpeak but not sure if I'm able to use my points or not.

Max sig size: 500x80px <3 Moe
    sig_dragonx.jpg
    edited June 2017
    Just curious. Has anyone here ever used their Starwood Preferred Guest points at the Sheraton for free room nights at PAX before? I have rooms booked through onpeak but not sure if I'm able to use my points or not.

I haven't used this method for Starwood but I did it for SDCC. I went ahead and booked the nights I needed through onPeak, then booked the free night separately through the hotel's website. This would mean changing rooms but most of time a quick phone call to the reservations department will get everything collapsed into one booking.

TL;DR give the Starwood reservations dept. a call and they can help clear and set it up ;)

IncreaseBlue on
  • PotatoemanPotatoeman Registered User regular

I work for Starwood, can chime in a little! The rooms you book through onpeak cannot use your points to cover a night, but like IncreaseBlue said, if you reserve a room for a few nights on Starwood's website, you may be able to use points for a portion of your stay. As we get closer to the hotel being sold out, they offer fewer and fewer rooms to use with points. The point amount will always be the same though; that doesn't change.

If you reserve a room through the website/over the phone, and its the same room type you have with onpeak, you should be able to stay in the same room consecutively for your entire trip, you just need to call the hotel/reservation line.

In this circumstance, you could reserve a room with onpeak from Thursday to Sunday, then reserve a room from Sunday to Tuesday on the website using your points. As long as both of the reservations are for the same type of room, you'd be fine.

• P.D.B. FishsticksP.D.B. Fishsticks Ohio, USARegistered User regular
    I ended up just booking myself a room at the Homewood several months ago outside of OnPeak; I've stayed there for three PAXes (and several personal trips to Seattle) and it's generally my preference.

• helen0rzhelen0rz Registered User regular
    Sheraton this time around. The past two times have been at Crowne Plaza. Here's the thing though: by the time I got my badges and book the hotel, I couldn't book double occupancy single bed anymore and we're only doing Saturday--- I wonder if Sheraton would let me switch with someone somehow so that I don't feel like I'm hogging an extra for no reason? My fiancé and I will be getting married Thursday that week so PAX is literally how we're gonna start our honeymoon lol! If not, I guess we'll just do this 50s style and sleep on separate beds for lols or something

48vla9t2j9ff.png
    helen0rz wrote: »
    Sheraton this time around. The past two times have been at Crowne Plaza. Here's the thing though: by the time I got my badges and book the hotel, I couldn't book double occupancy single bed anymore and we're only doing Saturday--- I wonder if Sheraton would let me switch with someone somehow so that I don't feel like I'm hogging an extra for no reason? My fiancé and I will be getting married Thursday that week so PAX is literally how we're gonna start our honeymoon lol! If not, I guess we'll just do this 50s style and sleep on separate beds for lols or something

They MAY be able to do that, but you'll have to either keep an eye on Onpeak to switch it, or wait for the reservations to be moved to the hotel.

• jamsyarbotsjamsyarbots Wilmington, DERegistered User regular
    Has anybody had any luck making room requests before? Specifically with the Grand Hyatt? By room requests I mean stuff like requesting a certain floor or room type. This will be my 3rd pax but my first at the Grand Hyatt and I never thought to ask when I stayed at the sheraton.

• CKingCKing Registered User regular
    Has anybody had any luck making room requests before? Specifically with the Grand Hyatt? By room requests I mean stuff like requesting a certain floor or room type. This will be my 3rd pax but my first at the Grand Hyatt and I never thought to ask when I stayed at the sheraton.

I haven't actually asked, but I can say the Grand Hyatt is super helpful. Last year we missed our flight and called that day and they held our reservation and didn't charge for the missed day. You could try to call now, but the reservation should still be through onpeak I believe, so you might have to wait until they transfer.

Also, depending on the request, you might be about to go through and change it through your onpeak reservation.

• Nathan WindNathan Wind Colorado Springs, CORegistered User regular
    Any opinions on Homewood Suites? I snagged Wed - Mon and dropped a Westin reservation. My son enjoys the atmosphere at the Sheraton (filled with PAXers) and we wanted to try the Hyatt this year but no luck so far. I am all about free breakfast, so Homewood has that going for it, but the rooms only have one bed and a sofa bed. I will probably get the sofa so my 6-3 son can have the bed. The full-size fridge is another selling point, so we can fill it with booze and food.

PAX Prime 14, 15
    PAX West 16, 17
    My Rig: I7 7700K, Aorus K5, 32GB RipJaws V, Samsung 960 PCIe 256 & 500, Zotac 1080Ti
  • SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    Any opinions on Homewood Suites? I snagged Wed - Mon and dropped a Westin reservation. My son enjoys the atmosphere at the Sheraton (filled with PAXers) and we wanted to try the Hyatt this year but no luck so far. I am all about free breakfast, so Homewood has that going for it, but the rooms only have one bed and a sofa bed. I will probably get the sofa so my 6-3 son can have the bed. The full-size fridge is another selling point, so we can fill it with booze and food.

I have not personally stayed at this Homewood, but I have had friends who stayed there and they had only good things to say. I have also stayed at a similar Homewood in Oregon and the one bed / sleeper sofa room was very roomy. I also just picked up a room at Homewood (dropped a Hilton) and we are looking forward to it.

For anyone else that is looking, there seems to be at least one more Homewood room open right now.

IhtGIyi.png
    I'm seeing a lot of moving and shaking of reservations on onPeak today so for folks who missed out on hotel spots, be vigilant!

• solomon123solomon123 Registered User regular
    Anyone know how much per night a quad was at the Grand Hyatt this year?

xg81x9uysw01.png

I've been very happy with that Homewood Suites (stayed there for three past PAXes plus several personal trips to Seattle, and I'll be staying there this year). The proximity to the convention center is good.

That Homewood Suites has a variety of rooms, but there are two main types: suites (separate bedroom and living room) and studio suites (a single room like a traditional hotel room), and various sizes of each. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem obvious which size room you'll get via your OnPeak reservation, but if they're promising you the full size fridge/kitchen, then you're not in the tiniest rooms.

Did you have any particular questions about the hotel that I can answer?

• Nathan WindNathan Wind Colorado Springs, CORegistered User regular

I've been very happy with that Homewood Suites (stayed there for three past PAXes plus several personal trips to Seattle, and I'll be staying there this year). The proximity to the convention center is good.

That Homewood Suites has a variety of rooms, but there are two main types: suites (separate bedroom and living room) and studio suites (a single room like a traditional hotel room), and various sizes of each. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem obvious which size room you'll get via your OnPeak reservation, but if they're promising you the full size fridge/kitchen, then you're not in the tiniest rooms.

Did you have any particular questions about the hotel that I can answer?

Hope I am getting one of the suites, since the photos I saw online of studio rooms didn't have a sofa bed in them. I think all the rooms have full kitchens, studio or suite. My reservation just says one bed with sleeper sofa. I will call On Peak to see if they can confirm the room type. How comfortable are the sofa beds? We've stayed at a lot of Embassy Suites and those sofa beds are crap.

PAX Prime 14, 15
    PAX West 16, 17
    My Rig: I7 7700K, Aorus K5, 32GB RipJaws V, Samsung 960 PCIe 256 & 500, Zotac 1080Ti
    Not sure on that, as I've had the actual bed every time. The one year I shared a room, my friends didn't complain about the sofa bed -- but I doubt they'd be any better than the Embassy Suites sofa beds.

• jthom252jthom252 Duarte, CARegistered User regular
    edited July 2019

jthom252 on
    edited June 2017
    solomon123 wrote: »

Looks like quad occupancy with Two Beds is $300 a night.
    fsfmptjhut18.jpg

IncreaseBlue on
  • Hoboking006Hoboking006 Registered User regular
    I'm seeing a lot of moving and shaking of reservations on onPeak today so for folks who missed out on hotel spots, be vigilant!

Managed to get friday night at sheraton for quad occupancy, hopefully from this humble seed a mighty reservation will grow!

May PAX be upon you.
  • Goddess of MadnessGoddess of Madness Registered User regular
    CKing wrote: »
    Headhunter wrote: »
    SUPER happy that I got back into the Hyatt @ Olive 8 again after missing them in 2015/2016, my favourite hotel in the area.

How are the bathrooms? This will be my first year there if Grand Hyatt doesn't open up again.

The floor of the bathroom is bloody amazing if you have food poisoning and need to lie on the floor next to the toilet. Also? The concierge is fantastic and sends crackers and tea free of charge when you are dying on said floor. Saturday 2014 kind of sucked.

Not sure what you are looking for in a bathroom but it was nicely fitted out with a very large glass shower, large vanity and a toilet with amazing flushing capacity

solomon123 wrote: »

Looks like quad occupancy with Two Beds is $300 a night.
    fsfmptjhut18.jpg

Ah, thanks. Just remembered how to see 'sold out' hotel reservations.

xg81x9uysw01.png
  • RiDERiDE the WORST! Hotel CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I noticed my Homewood reservation says non-smoking not guaranteed...anyone ever get stuck with a smoking room when they didn't want one at this hotel? TripAdvisor/Yelp has a few people saying they got stuck in smoking rooms despite asking for non (this could be a deal breaker for me because of allergies

"Try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damned fool about it."
    It's never happened for me at this particular Homewood (and I was in a different room each of the last five times I've stayed there). Their website does say that smoking rooms are available, though, so I guess it's possible.

It did happen seven years ago or so at a Homewood Suites near St. Louis, but they called me beforehand to make sure it was okay that I was put in a smoking room.

However, once the reservations switch from OnPeak to the hotel, you should be able to call them and let them know about your allergy, and they should be able to accommodate you. My girlfriend has asthma and smoke allergies and similarly can't stay in a smoking room, and we've never had a problem with any of Hilton's properties (of which Homewood Suites is one) being able to help us -- just make sure to talk to them as soon as possible.

This is the first time I've gotten a hotel reservation for all my days and the hotel I wanted in the first go. Now I don't know what to do with myself. I find myself lurking the OnPeak page looking for more rooms that I don't need, and am constantly tempted to try and get one for the Sheraton when I know it's likely not my cup of tea.

#PAXerProblems

Hey guys hotels opened up today! Sheraton WAS available, but hyatt opened up ass well.

edited June 2017
    Sweet, picked up a Sheraton quad for 3 nights. Dropped a Roosevelt quad, get it while it's hot!

Got super lucky, didn't expect the *duplicate reservation* email to go out this early.

solomon123 on
    xg81x9uysw01.png
    Rooms are available at Sheraton and Grand Hyatt as well as a few other popular ones for all days!

• DracilDracil Registered User regular
    Thanks! Managed to swap from Hyatt to Sheraton

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • SinoSambaSinoSamba CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Switched from Olive 8 to Sheraton :) Glad I checked today.

3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239
    Does anyone know approximately when the OnPeak stuff gets transferred to the hotel? Really want to try and see if I can change my two bed double occupancy to single bed

48vla9t2j9ff.png
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    helen0rz wrote: »
    Does anyone know approximately when the OnPeak stuff gets transferred to the hotel? Really want to try and see if I can change my two bed double occupancy to single bed

Usually it's 2-3 weeks before PAX, depending on the hotel you might get an email but a phone call is probably the best. I also doubt it would be hard to switch to a single bed as the doubles are like gold.

Usually it's 2-3 weeks before PAX, depending on the hotel you might get an email but a phone call is probably the best. I also doubt it would be hard to switch to a single bed as the doubles are like gold.

Interesting enough, that was all that was available when I book at the Sheraton's. I really don't want to hog the two beds because one of them definitely won't get used and I do think it'll benefit someone else instead.

It's just a matter of whether they'll let me or not. Thanks btw!

48vla9t2j9ff.png
  • DucRomeDucRome Registered User new member
    Sheraton shows available again

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    DucRome wrote: »
    And other hotels too. I'm guessing the blocks of rooms reserved for Exhibitors and such have been released. This is probably the last good chance to switch up rooms.

DucRome wrote: »

thanks! I was able to switch my two beds to a single. Weirdly enough though I had to call OnPeak. The reservation itself would not show the single bed option in my reservation. I didn't want to cancel my reservation just to do a new one so I had OnPeak do it for me. I asked when the lists are getting transferred to the hotels, and the nice lady told me it'll be 8/24

48vla9t2j9ff.png