As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

World War Hulk Thread: Non-Retarded Version

• Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    I really liked the one issue of UXM where they send Wolverine to go kill that mutant kid who accidently killed his entire town

oh man that shit was so sad

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    I really liked the one issue of UXM where they send Wolverine to go kill that mutant kid who accidently killed his entire town

oh man that shit was so sad
    Seriously.

"Just a couple genes over to the left and I coulda been an X-Man." :cry:

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Let's make a comparison to 9/11. Oh and then let's have Sally bitch and moan and suggest shooting -all- the heroes into space considering how well shooting Hulk into space worked out. Then let's have her give Daredevil the finger like any of it is his fault.

I haven't read the issue but did Sally bother to go into any details about how she planned to accomplish that one? Especially consider the only thing the Civil War proved was that only Supers are capable of policing other Supers.....

Actually that'd be a really really great way to solve the problem of the worlds most singularly retarded journalist. Sally starts bitching and moaning at the Sentry, he gets sick of her and rips her in half and throws her into the sun.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Anjin-San wrote: »

oh man that shit was so BAD

fixed for truth

Algertman on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You're just getting lazy now Algertman

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Ok, aftersmash kind of irritated me.. it was ok in some ways.

But DAMN, do they know how to fuck up stuff that they did so so right.

We go from PH with an accident that ended an awesome storyline, and a possible bug involvement with causing/triggering the accident... Illuminati still culpable to some of the blame.

WWH ends with Miek seeing the Red King/anti Hulk people tossing some old warp core into the shuttle (still makes no sense mind you) and the illuminati not being totally exonerated but still removed from most guilt.

Now we have aftersmash where the Illuminati are totally without blame, Miek being solely responsible for the whole thing, and essentially everything good about PH has been stripped away save "maybe" a few new characters to use (what's left of the warbound).

Ugh, it just irritates me when they "fix" things in such a shitty way.

EclecticGroove on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    What is with people and thier hard on for being able to blame the Illuminati for everything?

They are at fault for putting everyone in this situation to begin with, but the explosion has always been Miek's fault.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    What is with people and thier hard on for being able to blame the Illuminati for everything?

They are at fault for putting everyone in this situation to begin with, but the explosion has always been Miek's fault.

No, it wasn't "always" Miek's fault. The explanation in WWH for it didn't place the blame solely on him, and didn't even fit or make sense regardless. But even if they wanted to have him share some blame, that's just it... he shared a part of it.

Illuminati members don't have to (and shouldn't) be 100% responsible, but they should have realized what they did was wrong. As it stands now, they are 100% not to blame because nothing they did wound up sticking to them. Hulk came back, he smashed, he saved, and ultimately got betrayed by one of his own with an explanation that didn't even fit in.

Not even the apeshit Sentry Tony let loose came back to haunt them since the Hulk took care of it then Stark "saved the day" and everything was a ok.

I just wanted to see them realize that the shit they did was wrong and be culpable for it, just like they expected everyone else to be. Strange and Prof X are the only two that came close to that.

EclecticGroove on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I don't think you read the same World War Hulk I did

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I don't think you read the same World War Hulk I did

How so?

Hulk sees shuttle go boom, blames Illuminati (either for sending it or for planning it, it was never 100% sure). During PH it's mentioned that the shuttle had a warp core... so it's pretty natural for people to assume that's the one that went boom. The shuttle alerting to it enforced that. Miek/Brood messing with it was alluded to, but in no way confirmed or solid.

WWH ends with Hulk fighting Sentry, who went nuts because Tony told him he had to "play God" and he lost control. Hulk stops him after a big drag out fight. He'd already commented that he was not going to kill anyone, he stopped it right there, he was just going to smash NYC "eye for an eye" style and leave the Illuminati and allies defeated and humbled before going off to do whatever he was going to do.
    Then the Illuminati get"off the hook" since Miek then explains how he saw people loading some other warp core onto the shuttle (which makes no sense due to the items already established in PH) and then him being shown as a traitor for not informing anyone. And also, he stabbity's Rick.

At that point it wasn't a full cop out yet. The Illuminati members still had some blame. People were still angry at them, and there were still things they had to answer for and think about. Aftersmach basically puts them right back where they started, they might as well have not had WWH at all, just have some nameless villain smash NYC and it would have been almost the exact same. The only potential saving grace will be the new characters/teamups that come out of it (Herk/Cho, Warbound, Son of Hulk) and maybe the Hulk himself, but all of that is up in the air.

EclecticGroove on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I haven't read Aftersmash yet. What does it change?

august on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited December 2007
    As far as I can tell, nothing other than giving Bill Foster's nephew something to do other than go "BLURGH I HATE YOU GUYS YOU KILLED MY UNCLE"

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I don't understand how you can continue to say blaming the ship exploding on Miek is a "cop-out" when it was clearly always the intended outcome. Yeah it's not 100% clear at the end of Planet Hulk that he did it but thats because they didn't want to give away the end to WWH.

The Illuminati still fucked up big time, I'm sorry that you can't blame them for the death of a planet too.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    We haven't quite explored all of the repercusions of WWH just yet, but from what I've read of Aftersmash (which I thought was awesome), what EG's said seems pretty accurate. The Illuminati (or at least Iron Man) seems to have been given a free pass. I mean, even Thing, Peter, and Cage had nothing but jokes for him when they saw him. I expected at least Spidey to say "What the hell were you thinking, man?" re.: sending Hulk into space.

We haven't seen reactions to Richards, Strange, or Black Bolt yet, but Iron Man's still Director of Shield like nothing happened. Technically, they didn't do anything illegal, but you'd expect at least some backlash from the super hero community. Nobody wants to see these guys hanged or anything, we just want to see them acknowledge that they made a big mistake.

Maybe that'll come after everything's cleaned up though. For now, it seems like all the heroes are just trying to piece the city back together. Maybe that's the point of the book.

Side note - I love how Amadeus has just totally switched his man-crush from Hulk to Herc. Little guy likes being around big strong people, I guess. Maybe it comes from being smart but physically puny. Sounds like some psychology there...

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I don't understand how you can continue to say blaming the ship exploding on Miek is a "cop-out" when it was clearly always the intended outcome. Yeah it's not 100% clear at the end of Planet Hulk that he did it but thats because they didn't want to give away the end to WWH.

The Illuminati still fucked up big time, I'm sorry that you can't blame them for the death of a planet too.

I don't want the Illuminati hanged, just accountable, which is what one of the big points of WWH seemed to be early on. Making those who felt they were above everyone and the law be accountable.

Miek is a cop out because at first it was shown as an accident with "possible" undertones of betrayal by Miek and Brood. Then it was shown to be sabotage in which Miek wasn't involved but stayed silent (yet still went contrary to facts presented in PH). Now everyone is blaming Miek for the whole thing.

It stinks because now that they have someone who is to blame for part of it, he's to blame for all of it... PROBLEM SOLVED FOREVER! Even though the Illuminati, Hulk, Warbound, and everyone else with some part to blame should obviously know that it's not.

I just don;t like how with all the growth and characters in Planet Hulk, and even parts of the Hulk, it still wound up being "Hulks a monster and so are his buddies" and no one else had to step up and say they screwed up.

EclecticGroove on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It should be illegal to shoot someone into space.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It should be illegal to shoot someone into space unless, of course that person happens to be named sally floyd. Seriously, fuck that stupid bitch..

Fixed.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Gaddez wrote: »
    It should be illegal to shoot someone into space unless, of course that person happens to be named sally floyd. Seriously, fuck that stupid bitch..

Fixed.

WORLD WAR FLOYD

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Unfortunately, Ben Urich's wife is going that direction as well.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Unfortunately, Ben Urich's wife is going that direction as well.

If anything, she should be angry at their insurance company for not offering superhuman insurance. Or did Clor's involvement classify the entire event an act of robot God?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Shit, anyone living in New York should be required to buy superhuman insurance, like people living in flood plains are required to have flood insurance.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Shit, anyone living in New York should be required to buy superhuman insurance, like people living in flood plains are required to have flood insurance.

See, but they would probably do something shady like only offer supervillain insurance with damage caused by superhero's as an additional coverage.

Then there's the whole "they aren't a superhuman, they are a meta/demihuman" issue. Not even getting into aliens and creatures from another dimension, or normal humans using advanced weapons, magic, etc.

I could see the red tape being a couple miles deep there!

EclecticGroove on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

See, but they would probably do something shady like only offer supervillain insurance with damage caused by superhero's as an additional coverage.

Then there's the whole "they aren't a superhuman, they are a meta/demihuman" issue. Not even getting into aliens and creatures from another dimension, or normal humans using advanced weapons, magic, etc.

I could see the red tape being a couple miles deep there!

But it'd be like claiming the flood wasn't the problem with Katrina, it was the winds and the levy breaking, so it's not covered by FLOOD insurance.

A court of law would go "Was it above and beyond human capability? Than it is SUPER-human." and the insurance company would have a giant block smudge.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    But it'd be like claiming the flood wasn't the problem with Katrina, it was the winds and the levy breaking, so it's not covered by FLOOD insurance.

A court of law would go "Was it above and beyond human capability? Than it is SUPER-human." and the insurance company would have a giant block smudge.

But I thought that argument worked.

Damn. That was a masterpiece of a legal defense.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Gaddez wrote: »

Fixed.

WORLD WAR FLOYD

Namor: Your insane, all of you! Sally floyd will come back and she'll irritate you all!

Gaddez on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    As far as I can tell, nothing other than giving Bill Foster's nephew something to do other than go "BLURGH I HATE YOU GUYS YOU KILLED MY UNCLE"

Well it also gave Misty Knight control over the remaining Death's Heads.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    If only Misty Knight was appearing in an ongoing so we could explore this new development for the character!

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    If only Misty Knight was appearing in an ongoing so we could explore this new development for the character!

Who knows where she might show up in next.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I would read a comic about a posse of robots with the hive-mind of a sassy black woman.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I was kind of annoyed about her freaking out about the Hiveling. I mean, I guess they're kinda sentient, but she didn't even kill the thing, and it was invading her planet.

If you're going to feel remorse, feel remorse about something that can tell the difference between a 4-foot-tall yellow insect and a bunch of 6-foot superheroes.

Scooter on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm willing to bet Misty shows up more in Iron Fist even after the tournament.

Groove is pretty spot on, and it's unfortunate that they went down that path. Now I'm waiting for the third arc to be out in it's entirety and I'll read a spoiler on the ending before I consider purchasing it, because everything builidng up in the previous 2 arcs turned out to be a complete bait and switch.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Sally Floyd turns out to be the Red Hulk.

Banner and Floyd are both shot into space, where they Hulk out and fight each other, demolishing any planetary systems they come near until.....

They crash through the SOURCE WALL

Sally is recruited by the Star Sapphires while Banner goes with OA and next year's big event with a stupid ending is:

CORPS WAR HULK (Apparently, it all turns out to be Booster's fault)

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    sullijosullijo mid-level minion subterranean bunkerRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I was re-reading Planet Hulk last night and noticed something that I missed the first time:

According to the Gladiator Guidebook, Sakaar is in the Tayo star system. There are two inhabitable planets in the system; Sakaar and Gangalo, which is described as "a humid world with exotic vegetation and fungal lifeforms" but no evidence of sentient life.

According to "Planet Cho" in Incredible Hulk #100, the Illuminati meant to send the Hulk to "BR-54 in the Tayo System." Is this the same Tayo system that Sakaar is in? Was Gangalo the Hulk's original destination? And does the destination planet depicted to What If: Planet Hulk match the description of Gangalo? (it's not obvious to me that it does.)

Am I reading too much into this?

sullijo on
    When I was driving once I saw this painted on a bridge:
    "I don't want the world, I just want your half"
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    sullijo wrote: »
    I was re-reading Planet Hulk last night and noticed something that I missed the first time:

According to the Gladiator Guidebook, Sakaar is in the Tayo star system. There are two inhabitable planets in the system; Sakaar and Gangalo, which is described as "a humid world with exotic vegetation and fungal lifeforms" but no evidence of sentient life.

According to "Planet Cho" in Incredible Hulk #100, the Illuminati meant to send the Hulk to "BR-54 in the Tayo System." Is this the same Tayo system that Sakaar is in? Was Gangalo the Hulk's original destination? And does the destination planet depicted to What If: Planet Hulk match the description of Gangalo? (it's not obvious to me that it does.)

If this is true, then the Illuminati screwed up even less than previously thought.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

If this is true, then the Illuminati screwed up even less than previously thought.

Or even more. If you want the Hulk to stay out of everyone's way, why do you send him to a star system with a bunch of alien races chilling on one of the planets?

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Htown wrote: »

Or even more. If you want the Hulk to stay out of everyone's way, why do you send him to a star system with a bunch of alien races chilling on one of the planets?

Because they didn't know that anyone was on Sakaar, obviously. (One could argue the portal has something to do with that.)

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Wait, so the Illuminati were smart enough to find a world for Hulk but not enough to check out the rest of the star system for sentient life forms? Or the entire route between the Earth and the planet for potential hazards like wormholes?

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I always check the forecast for wormholes before leaving the house.

august on
  • Options
    GreyHunter316GreyHunter316 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Me too, I thought everybody did that its common sense.
    I thought the Hulk was the one who put the ship of trajectory that caused it to go into the wormhole, when he got pissed after the Illuminati's video.

GreyHunter316 on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It's amazing that Hulk sent it off course, but somehow it still managed to hit a wormhole that sent him basically to the same place anyway.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee