As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SysAdmin] More like unItanium.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    I don't think it's iron clad if you record yourself ripping it open with your teeth. You didn't sign any contract. Opening a bag isn't a legally binding.

LD50 on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    it takes so god damned long to catch a windows 7 PC up in updates it's crazy

it's taken me like 3 days of updates in the background to get this one up to speed

even with the roll up

it still is like 10+ reboots worth of updates

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I wonder how iron clad that is if you keep the bag and recorded yourself taking it out of said bag.

I believe that falls under the same old aftermarket car-parts case that technically covers all the "if you remove this sticker you invalidate the warranty," stickers as well. They don't really have any force but good luck paying for the litigation if you need to.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular

it's taken me like 3 days of updates in the background to get this one up to speed

even with the roll up

There's actually some kind of "bug" in Windows updates on Windows 7 where it takes way longer than it should. My theory is that it's because there are way more updates than they ever envisioned there would be for it. My recommendation for Windows 7 (and server 2008R2 actually) is to download the update rollup package Microsoft released about a year ago and install that offline. It brings the patch level up to that point, and then it'll make doing the remainder of the updates much faster.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Today is the best day. I get to watch a vendor install shit on a server fuck aorund on the internet and watch TV for 4 hours.

wunderbar wrote: »

even with the roll up

There's actually some kind of "bug" in Windows updates on Windows 7 where it takes way longer than it should. My theory is that it's because there are way more updates than they ever envisioned there would be for it. My recommendation for Windows 7 (and server 2008R2 actually) is to download the update rollup package Microsoft released about a year ago and install that offline. It brings the patch level up to that point, and then it'll make doing the remainder of the updates much faster.

I did the roll up!

It still took like another 10+ reboots and had another like 100+ updates.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    Today is the best day. I get to watch a vendor install shit on a server fuck aorund on the internet and watch TV for 4 hours.

(please come feed out machines)

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm

even with the roll up

I did the roll up!

It still took like another 10+ reboots and had another like 100+ updates.

Well....... then imagine if you hadn't!

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    They throttle windows 7 update servers. I am certain of it.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    There's that weird phase during Windows Update on Win7 where it spends forever just searching for available updates.

Then a second weird phase after you've clicked the "update" button where it just sits there at zero progress downloading.

I know I keep harping on PS-WindowsUpdate. I'm not sure if this is placebo effect, but it seems to run a little faster than the GUI.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    @Feral how do you use PS-WindowsUpdate?

You're probably not wrong, the UI is probably using some shitty async code that's throttled or something.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I installed what I think was like, a RTM 7 image on a machine a few weeks back

With constant babysitting it only took 6 hours to get all the way up to current.

My favorite is when it shits a brick partway through and then needs to update windows update.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular

Sounds like a typical weekday for me.

• SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    I installed what I think was like, a RTM 7 image on a machine a few weeks back

With constant babysitting it only took 6 hours to get all the way up to current.

My favorite is when it shits a brick partway through and then needs to update windows update.

Or

"An update failed to install.

Rolling back Windows Update."

What fucking update? Why did it fail? Any error codes? Thanks for nothing, Microsoft.

TIL windows conveniently has two date formats that count by 100ns ticks, one starting at CE 1 and one at CE 1601.

Useful! How horrible if there was only one date format.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    A queue full of easily solvable issues through a little investigation this morning.

This does not bode well.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    @Feral how do you use PS-WindowsUpdate?

You're probably not wrong, the UI is probably using some shitty async code that's throttled or something.

It's a powershell module.

Short version: install the Windows Management Framework 4.0 update to get Powershell 4, then install the PS-WindowsUpdate module. Then run Get-WUInstall to install updates.

I'll post some more details a little later.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• donavannjdonavannj Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    They throttle windows 7 update servers. I am certain of it.

There's legitimately a hard-coded cap on the number of download trips to an update server that Windows 7 can make before a connection to the server "fails". Seriously.

steam_sig.png
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    A queue full of easily solvable issues through a little investigation this morning.

This does not bode well.

Ticket this afternoon:

"THERE WAS THIS THING THAT HAPPENED ONCE THIS AFTERNOON AND NOW ITS NOT DOING IT BUT YOU NEED TO FIX THAT THING THATS NOT HAPPENING HERE'S A SCREENSHOT WE PRINTED AND THEN SCANNED IN BLACK AND WHITE AND IS BARELY LEGIBLE."

I was correct.

Regarding PSWindowsUpdate:

Briefly, PSWindowsUpdate is a module that lets you control Windows Update from Powershell.

The module is available for download from here

It works on Windows 7 out of the box (Powershell 2.0) but as a matter of habit I always upgrade Windows 7 to Powershell 4 by installing Windows Management Framework 4. I don't remember all the differences between Powershell 2.0 and Powershell 4.0 so I can't promise any advice I give will work in Powershell 2.0. (Remember, you can always check your Powershell version with the command Get-Host.)

Why use it?
    • PSWindowsUpdate gives you more granular control over what updates to install or ignore than either the GUI or other command line tools (like wuauclt.exe). You can skip updates based on strings and wildcards. For example, my usual server update command skips anything that matches "Silverlight" or "Skype."
    • PSWindowsUpdate works nicely with Task Scheduler, so you can schedule your updates with much more precision than the Windows Update GUI. You can also invoke scheduled tasks remotely.
    • You can invoke a Windows Update cycle with a single line of code, including automatic reboot or not, and no futzing around in the clunky Windows Update GUI.
    • PSWindowsUpdate uses Powershell. Powershell is civilization. It is known, Khaleesi.

Basic usage is basic.

Download the module, unzip it, and copy it to C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowershell\v1.0\Modules

Then launch a Powershell session and do
    Import-Module PSWindowsUpdate
    Get-Help Get-Wuinstall

I'll make one more post on how to make it sing later.

So, I don't just install it manually.

I wrote this little script to make it easier to distribute. It installs, creates a log folder, updates the script, and runs it.

(BTW, I'm using 'quote' instead of 'code' because the code tag appears to be buggy right now.)
    <#
    Install-PSWindowsUpdate

Simple install script for PSWindowsUpdate module.

Module obtained from: https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/2d191bcd-3308-4edd-9de2-88dff796b0bc
    #>

Try {
    #Try to run Get-WUInstall. If it fails, grab PSWindowsUpdate and install it
    Get-WUInstall -? | Out-Null
    } Catch {
    Copy-Item -Path "\\server.fqdn.com\path\PSWindowsUpdate" -Destination "$env:systemroot\system32\WindowsPowershell\v1.0\Modules" -Recurse
    Import-Module PSWindowsUpdate
    } Finally {
    #Check to see if C:\Windows\Logs\PSWindowsUpdate exists. If not, create it.
    If (Test-Path "$env:systemroot\Logs\PSWindowsUpdate") {
    } else {
    New-Item -Path "$env:systemroot\Logs\" -Name PSWindowsUpdate -ItemType directory
    }
    #Update the PSWindowsUpdate module, then download and install updates without rebooting.
    Update-WUModule -Confirm:$false
    Get-WUInstall -NotTitle "(Silverlight|Skype|(Language Pack))" -AcceptAll -AutoReboot -Verbose -Confirm:$false | Out-File $env:systemroot\Logs\PSWindowsUpdate\PSWindowsUpdate.log
    }

Before running the script I made sure the module was downloaded and unzipped to \\server\path.

If you don't want to throw the module on a share, Powershell has a wget command! (It's actually an alias for Invoke-WebRequest.) The following code is minimally tested, so use a little common sense. Use it instead of "Copy-Item" above.
    $downloaduri = "https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/2d191bcd-3308-4edd-9de2-88dff796b0bc/file/41459/47/PSWindowsUpdate.zip&quot;
    Invoke-WebRequest -Uri $download-uri -Outfile $env:temp\PSWindowsUpdate.zip
    Add-Type -AssemblyName System.IO.Compression.FileSystem
    $[System.IO.Compression.ZipFile]::ExtractToDirectory("$env:temp\PSWindowsUpdate.zip","C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowershell\v1.0\Modules\")
    Remove-Item $env:temp\PSWindowsUpdate.zip

(Note: Powershell 5 includes native commands for unzipping files so you don't have to monkey with System.IO.Compression.FileSystem.)

The log file is optional. Windows Update logs all activity to C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log but that log file gets hyyyyoooooooouuuuuuggggggeeeee. By piping the output of PSWindowsUpdate to its own log, you get a very brief easily-readable log of which updates get installed and which fail.

Now, I know some of you hate Powershell almost as much as you hate Windows Update. Good news! You can invoke a powershell command from anywhere you could run a DOS command just by treating it as a command-line argument for powershell.exe.
    powershell.exe Get-WUInstall -NotTitle "(Silverlight|Skype|(Language Pack))" -AcceptAll -AutoReboot -Verbose -Confirm:$false | Out-File $env:systemroot\Logs\PSWindowsUpdate\PSWindowsUpdate.log

What's what you can put in places like Task Scheduler:

A4lfypx.png

Task Scheduler is critical for this IMO. There's something about the way Windows Update works that prevents you from invoking Get-WUInstall in a remote Powershell session using the usual commands like Enter-PSSession.

However, if you have a scheduled task, you can point your task scheduler console to a remote computer to launch Windows Update remotely from a GUI, or use command-line tools like schtask or the Powershell scheduled tasks module. You can also set your scheduled task to run at bootup. Combined with the -AutoReboot argument, this will force a new computer to resume installing updates after it reboots from the last batch. Fire and forget.

I'm using this method on all of the Windows servers I admin in our production environment alongside WSUS and it's significantly reduced our Windows Update woes.

There's something about the way Windows Update works that prevents you from invoking Get-WUInstall in a remote Powershell session using the usual commands like Enter-PSSession.

Hmm I wonder if that's because of the general thing about PSRemoting where you only have access to local resources on the remote machine. (Unless your environment is set up very specifically to allow that... It has something to do with the credential model powershell uses I think.)
    Can't do updates if you can't reach the net!

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    It's hard to install a program "right now" for a user when said program needs a username/password to even download the program and the user doesn't have either.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
    I like how feral hides skype and silverlight from his auto update

10/10 we are 2 peas in a pod

so .NET 4.7 is out.

.NET 4.7 is being offered through Windows Update.

if .NET 4.7 gets installed on a server running a currently supported version of Exchange, exchange will break.

To summarize: if you install an offered windows update onto a supported configuration of Exchange server, your Exchange Server will break.

What the actual fuck.

There's a reg edit you can make to block 4.7 from being offered, but has to be done manually.

This is why no one should have automatic updates on on any server, which also potentially compromises security. But it boggles my mind that in 2017 Microsoft still can't detect system state and be able to automatically go "oh, this update would probably break your server in the current condition maybe we shouldn't offer it to that machine"

The bigger question is why does exchange break with a new .NET version?

You can specify which framework your stuff targets.

Hey, all SBS servers need to fucking die.

so .NET 4.7 is out.

if .NET 4.7 gets installed on a server running a currently supported version of Exchange, exchange will break.

To summarize: if you install an offered windows update onto a supported configuration of Exchange server, your Exchange Server will break.

What the actual fuck.

There's a reg edit you can make to block 4.7 from being offered, but has to be done manually.

This is why no one should have automatic updates on on any server, which also potentially compromises security. But it boggles my mind that in 2017 Microsoft still can't detect system state and be able to automatically go "oh, this update would probably break your server in the current condition maybe we shouldn't offer it to that machine"

Actually, according to the Microsoft official Exchange blog, You Had Me At EHLO, .NET 4.7 and any version of exchange is NOT a supported configuration.

Which makes the decision to release it to windows update even more mind boggling. Why would you push out software that breaks other MAJOR software?

so .NET 4.7 is out.

What the actual fuck.

Actually, according to the Microsoft official Exchange blog, You Had Me At EHLO, .NET 4.7 and any version of exchange is NOT a supported configuration.

Which makes the decision to release it to windows update even more mind boggling. Why would you push out software that breaks other MAJOR software?

You misread, when I said supported configuration I literally mean "a version of Exchange server that Microsoft currently supports" Not that .NET 4.7 is supported on exchange.

Okay so I'm doing it.

Virtual Machines.

What's a good recommendation for the hardware for the host's stuff. I plan to toss in maybe 6ish VMs? The two machines I'd like to virtualize are pretty beefy themselves.

Also ESXi essentials $600 should set me?

RDP Server - Xenon E5140 2.33 x 2 with like 22 GB Total/15 GB avg use of memory, 200 GB hard drive space
    MySQL/Oracle/App Server - Xenon E5405 2.00 x 1 with like 22 GB Total/8 GB avg use of memory -- CPU sits at ~60% avg on this one. [I'd like to split off the MySQL and Oracle into their own systems]

I'd also like to move my AD stuff to a VM.

Then I've got like 2 other VMs of win7 (print server), and a linux one too (ssh).

I'm thinking I can get away with like 2-4 TB of hard drive space. My eventual plan here is to decommission the old RDP Server and consolidate what I can into a single system and then use this as a backup system. Once that's done I want to get a SAN online in a few years, then upgrade to the vMotion stuff.

What would you all recommend for the host?

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Newb linux init question:

I manually configured, compiled, and installed NGINX on my Debian 8 server because I wanted to use a few 3rd party modules. Because of that, it doesn't automatically turn on when the system reboots. I've found a script which was linked to by NGINX itself in their wiki (http://kbeezie.com/debian-ubuntu-nginx-init-script/), but I'm not sure what to do with it. Where am I supposed to put this thing?

Okay so I'm doing it.

Virtual Machines.

What's a good recommendation for the hardware for the host's stuff. I plan to toss in maybe 6ish VMs? The two machines I'd like to virtualize are pretty beefy themselves.

RDP Server - Xenon E5140 2.33 x 2 with like 22 GB Total/15 GB avg use of memory, 200 GB hard drive space
    MySQL/Oracle/App Server - Xenon E5405 2.00 x 1 with like 22 GB Total/8 GB avg use of memory -- CPU sits at ~60% avg on this one. [I'd like to split off the MySQL and Oracle into their own systems]

Then I've got like 2 other VMs of win7 (print server), and a linux one too (ssh).

I'm thinking I can get away with like 2-4 TB of hard drive space. My eventual plan here is to decommission the old RDP Server and consolidate what I can into a single system and then use this as a backup system. Once that's done I want to get a SAN online in a few years, then upgrade to the vMotion stuff.

The Dell R530 servers are fucking workhorses. They'd be my go-to for any medium sized business for virtualization.

I'd also say that add at least 20% to whatever disk sizing you think you need. You can never have too much disk, and once you start virtualizing stuff you'll want to have all the things, and have them in a VM.

• ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    When I was running a VMWare environment I was running it on Cisco C240 Servers and those things were rock solid.

Yeah the 4TB would be including that. Maybe I'll see if I can't go higher.

• RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Okay so I'm doing it.

Virtual Machines.

I'm riding back from lunch right now, so this will be briefer than I would if I was if I was at my desk.

Your priorities should be RAM, then CPU (mainly number of cores), then networking, then storage (esp if you eventually move to a SAN). RAM is the easiest thing to overcommit on, especially in a disaster situation or when you need to update a host. CPU can be pushed down in priority if you have very low utilization, but one or two VMs can blow that up quickly if they spike out. Networking is critical to be separated out when you go SAN/vMotion, so I'd generally recommend 6-8 1Gb ports (you could get by with 4, but lose redundancy...1 for corp network, 1 for vMotion, 1 or 2 for SAN, we have 2+ for each). On storage, I think 2TB is fine, unless you have major file servers in this set. Most of our VMs are 40GB or less, so you're talking 50 servers at that size.

I could start with 4 net ports and move up to 6-8 in the future right?

edited June 2017
    Received an email.

Subject: <User>'s PC has crashed

Body: Can someone help?

This is gonna end well.

Cog on
    Received an email.

Subject: <User>'s PC has crashed

Body: Can someone help?

This is gonna end well.

reply: Well [user] shouldn't have let it drive their car.

edited June 2017
    hmm I can't configure those Dell R530s with more than 4 1 slot NICs, should I be looking at something else?

E: nevermind, I can slap in 2 broadcom QP cards and call it a day I guess

bowen on
This discussion has been closed.