As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MechWarrior/Battletech] The Oosik Irregulars are going to become canon! *EVACUATE THREAD*

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Mortious wrote: »
    How does an armless mech "melee"?

Kicks, shoulder checks, headbutts...

Rocket-powered kick (the thing does have jump jets)?

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Betsuni wrote: »

Obviously with its nose.
    Seriously, there are lines defining just what a mech melees with. With that particular mech, I'd imagine he headbutts with the cockpit so the pilot can then headbutt as well.

Developed by the Krogan.

It isn't actually supposed to have JJ, but this was quick just to see if I could get it to work.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Docshifty wrote: »

Obviously with its nose.
    Seriously, there are lines defining just what a mech melees with. With that particular mech, I'd imagine he headbutts with the cockpit so the pilot can then headbutt as well.

Developed by the Krogan.

It isn't actually supposed to have JJ, but this was quick just to see if I could get it to work.

Well it IS a chicken.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Alright, I haven't gone through and fiddled with heatsinks, jjs, armor, or futzed with movement speed to signify engine changes yet, and these are just overriding the current mechs, but for mwo builds

The Quadapult
    6C194DB7BBF33AB5D5136FE2E5E7FEC26F0CA2BF

The Boomcat (It actually isn't supposed to have lasers, but I was so excited to finally get it working I forgot to remove them)
    16079D130BFB25856E7E5654EED59149BEA4995D

The BLARG (I'm contemplating some Battletech specific changes. MWO doesn't translate the greatest)
    F11217C55B2D25682D9E2707B8F057E1398639F0

The proper Jenner
    2922C8984B7E40FA95A9696F80FA5BF3C8AF9DF0

The Victor (Actually changed to SRM 6/4/2 because MWO missile tubes suck)
    7B71FD4FC5FAC7F6C245F265698F4E0C51D142D5

And...what I could do of The Reaper (Gauss isn't working so AC/20 it is)
    E60BD5AFC080CB2E06C5AB9B23816E1D5B116841

As for all those things I need to do to them, well, I've got time tomorrow.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    We just found out about the modding wiki and discord. Aw yeah. I'll be helping Doc make a classic Oosik mech set as far as we can make it work, but if you want to mess with stuff yourself:

Wiki: http://btmodding.warriorsblood.com/index.php?title=Main_Page
    Discord invite: https://www.reddit.com/r/Battletechgame/comments/6fb6f1/are_you_into_mods_do_you_have_what_it_takes_to/

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    Alright, one more for tonight

DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA
    55AF16FC7A68100E944595F4B105E98D8DA1B7DD

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtWu3a17rN0

• Options
    SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    tumblr_mrj06oMs1W1rqv9lro1_500.gif
    I just now won a Battletech Beta match this way, with a Centurion that had both its arms blown off (against another Centurion that still had one).

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    So it appears PGI may have finally fixed the issue with the unit roster not correctly identifying players last login.

If Nips wants to delegate some kicking authority, I will take a hatchet to the roster for anyone that hasnt logged in for the last 9 months.

Then I will pour one out for our fallen comrades, and by that I mean emty some ammo bins into the vat born.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    Well shit... Now I'm going to have to add in the ULTRACAT!!! to the roster of mechs.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    The Tango Try-hards or How I learned to stop worrying and love missiles.
    To truly understand Tango Lance requires a bit of a history lesson. Their origins start in the periphery of the Federated Suns, on a planet known as Anaheim. After the planet was conquered by the SLDF during the Reunification War and designated as a Davion planet, the planetary militia stood up a full brigade of battlemechs that would join the SLDF under the designation of the Anaheim Kingsmen. Organized primarily by Lance, with units designated alphabetically, the Kingsmen would build specific companies on a campaign basis, making it easier to meet the needs of the mission at hand. During Kerensky's Exodus, the Kingsmen debated their future, with most mechwarriors electing either to join in the Exodus or return home to Anaheim. The former would soon join the ranks of the clans, while the latter would retire from military service completely. Still a third group elected to chase dollars rather than sense, and became mercenaries during the first War of Succession.

One Lance of these mercenaries, designated Tango Lance during their time with the Kingsmen, found themselves in Lyran space during the war. A heavy fire support lance, consisting of a STK-3Fc Stalker, a CRD-3L Crusader, a CPLT-C4 Catapult, and a HBK-4J Hunchback. Tango Lance had little trouble finding work, as they were well coordinated and fought with what some would say was a bit too much zeal. When Tango lance was assigned as part of a defense group along side a company of Oosiks, their eagerness to fight on well past the point of the battle being lost quickly established a reputation among the Oosiks, who were forced to over expose in order to make sure these "try-hards" weren't completely obliterated by the invading forces. The Lance commander, piloting his Stalker, had suffered damage to his sensors and cockpit glass, preventing him from being able to properly aim his weapon systems. Fortunately, the missile guidance systems still worked, and when the Oosiks realized this, they were able to steer the massive machine into picking up solid locks, enabling the Stalker to lay down effective cover fire before being forced to punch out. This allowed the lance, and the Oosiks, to survive. In exchange for their valor and sacrifice, Tango lance opted to join with the Oosik Irregulars, and the moniker of "try-hard" still plagues greener members who are deemed to have put themselves at too much risk in the hopes of too little glory.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Finally got around to playing a full game of the beta

Yes, this is good stuff. Death from above is great. Combat feels really well paced.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    So I got enough c-bills to buy my Timber Wolf/MadCat last night.

I got the 'D' Variant, and have customized it to pack 2 C-L Pulse, 2 ER-Meds, 4x C-SRM6 with Art. This is my old MW4 loadout, and it seems to be working pretty well.

Also, last night the weight balance gods decided to frown upon us by sending us vs a group of at least 6 or 7 assault mechs v our 2.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    Aren't galaxies the equivalent to regiments, not clusters (I vaguely recall IS unit sizes being lance (4 mechs)-company (3 lances)-battalion (3 companies)-regiment (3 battalions))?

In terms of numbers, yes. However, from the invasion era to well into the 3060s, a Cluster against a regiment was, if anything, tilted heavily against the regiment, due to the vast gulf in both tech and skills.

Even later on it was rare for entire Galaxies to be deployed together. Maybe during a prolonged, important campaign but otherwise it was mostly Clusters moving around.

• Options
    GokerzGokerz Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    What are good and fun medium Mech builds right now?
    Trying to get back into the game, and starting with medium mechs to get a feel for the combat again seems like a good idea.

Gokerz on
    causality.png
  • Options
    Gokerz wrote: »
    Trying to get into the game, and starting with medium mechs to get a feel for the combat again seems like a good idea.

The SHC - Shadowcat with ECM & 2x cLPL or 2x cERPPC can put in a lot of work.
    The HBK-IIC with 2x cERML & 2x cUAC10
    The HBK-IICA with 6x cERML & 2x cLPL / 2x cERPPC & 6x cSPL or 6x cERSL ie: this build

Many Stormcrow / Nova / Huntsman builds too.

The most important thing is that as a new player, you dont overspecialize into a single range band, but at the same time dont be too scattershot with your weapons. (For a long range build, you want 3 close range weapons, and for a short range build, you want at least 1 long range weapon).

Make sure you are familiar with what your weapons are capable of and their limits, so you arent wasting heat in a brawl firing your LRMs.

Stick with Clan mechs, and be careful of some trap weapons like the cERLL which has horrible heat/damage effeciency, and also has a long burn time requiring you to expose yourself to use it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GokerzGokerz Registered User regular
    I think I'm gonna try the HBK-IICA with 2 cERPPC & 6x cSPL. PPCs and Pulse lasers were always good fun when I last played a few years ago.
    Thanks for the help

causality.png
  • Options
    I was running a NOVA with 12 C-SML Pulse lasers and 2x C-ER Mediums. It did pretty well.

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    In today's BATTLETECH session, I attempt to crush everything under the weight of flying 'Mechs.

This does not end well for my lance.

https://youtu.be/06hb3BWJm7I

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    So far my biggest takeaway from the Battletech beta is that I greatly regret we didn't hit the stretch goal for coop campaign.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Handgimp wrote: »
    So far my biggest takeaway from the Battletech beta is that I greatly regret we didn't hit the stretch goal for coop campaign.

WAIT WHAT I THOUGHT THAT WAS HAPPENING AAAAAAHHHH

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    I wasn't aware they didn't reach a stretch goal? It was a maximum funding and beyond, wasn't it?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Kay wrote: »
    Handgimp wrote: »

WAIT WHAT I THOUGHT THAT WAS HAPPENING AAAAAAHHHH

Hmm apparently I mis-remembered
    As we said in our first Live Stream Twitch Q&A session, after Stage 4 is unlocked, additional funding will go towards polishing the features and content we’ve already committed to. After that, any additional funds will go toward funding a Post-Launch Live Team that will continue developing additional features and content. First among them will be Cooperative Multiplayer, which will allow you and a friend to face-off against AI opponents.

So we hit all the stretch goals, now we just have to hope the game does well enough to justify continued resources toward coop.

"Expanded campaign" means being able to continue merc'ing it up after the storyline ends.

fc9c4e5ccacdca5c85d0aa5e415e54a5_original.jpg?w=639&fit=max&v=1446448942&auto=format&q=92&s=a438abb79eaaf64b49be0c762c697c0c
    I wasn't aware they didn't reach a stretch goal? It was a maximum funding and beyond, wasn't it?

Yes, 2.785M out of 2.5M

Handgimp on
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    Honestly I don't know how I feel about coop. It sounds cool, but do you get two lances? How would they re-balance the campaign? Do you just share two mechs each? Why not fire up the remote desktop app of your choice and just take turns?

They need all the features they can get at launch to really appeal to as many people as possible. I don't know how they're going to do that, even if its the best turn based strategy ever. I feel like XCom's success was mostly due to a massive advertising budget and console support. Battletech's legacy will probably come down to how memorable the story is. The writing they shared during the kickstarter was pretty compelling, but it isn't attached to an accessible cover-based shooter like Mass Effect. None of the characters in Shadowrun really stick out in my head either. Voice acting probably would have helped a lot.

But hey, two of the Top Sellers on Steam are Paradox Strategy Game DLC, so what do I know?

• Options
    Honestly I don't know how I feel about coop. It sounds cool, but do you get two lances? How would they re-balance the campaign? Do you just share two mechs each? Why not fire up the remote desktop app of your choice and just take turns?

They need all the features they can get at launch to really appeal to as many people as possible. I don't know how they're going to do that, even if its the best turn based strategy ever. I feel like XCom's success was mostly due to a massive advertising budget and console support. Battletech's legacy will probably come down to how memorable the story is. The writing they shared during the kickstarter was pretty compelling, but it isn't attached to an accessible cover-based shooter like Mass Effect. None of the characters in Shadowrun really stick out in my head either. Voice acting probably would have helped a lot.

But hey, two of the Top Sellers on Steam are Paradox Strategy Game DLC, so what do I know?

I dont know that they are saying a cooperative campaign, it sounds more like co-op comp stomp from the blurb.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    I generally don't get the appeal of co-op for turn-based games. For a shooter or other real-time game it's great -- one of you covers the entrance while the other hacks the mainframe, or one of you builds the base and the other goes out and hurts things. It's exciting and there's high fives and shared misery. But in a turn-based game there's nothing stopping you from doing both jobs, and it feels like you'll spend half your time waiting for the other guy to do something you could do yourself. Which is fine if you just want to hang out with your friend, but it doesn't seem to enjoy the same synergy you get with a real-time game.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    So I got enough c-bills to buy my Timber Wolf/MadCat last night.

I got the 'D' Variant, and have customized it to pack 2 C-L Pulse, 2 ER-Meds, 4x C-SRM6 with Art. This is my old MW4 loadout, and it seems to be working pretty well.

Also, last night the weight balance gods decided to frown upon us by sending us vs a group of at least 6 or 7 assault mechs v our 2.

Yeah, what a difference a day makes. Last night's solo queue adventures were the exact opposite of the previous night:

Match 1) Hellbringer on HPG Skirmish
    Result - close to 900 damage, and a win

Match 2) Hellbringer on Tourmaline Conquest
    Result - around 700 damage, a loss (due to caps)

Match 3) Ebon Jag on Forest Colony Assault
    Result - 220 damage, and a loss (our 1 assault led us to a REALLY bad spot by following the water-side road and got us completely surrounded)

The next 3 matches was me riding my Ebon Jag to victory (500-750 damage per match, usually in the top 3 (if not the top) in terms of damage). Nights like that reminds me of why I still play MWO.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    In today's BATTLETECH session, I attempt to crush everything under the weight of flying 'Mechs.

This does not end well for my lance.

The Quickdraw is a bad mech to go with right now. There's some kind of typo with its XML so it does less melee damage than a Urbanmech. I don't know if that applies to Death From Above, but has so little armor it goes down immediately in a brawl. The Griffin is almost always a better choice.

Also, why are you trying to shoot with your Vindicator when you can go to punch town? Even compared with a good alpha strike, most mechs still do more damage in melee.

• Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    My only big gripe with Battletech so far is that head deaths are far too common. Every time I run an atlas, the head gets shot out.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    My only big gripe with Battletech so far is that head deaths are far too common. Every time I run an atlas, the head gets shot out.

I've actually seen comparatively few headcaps, probably less than a handful in two weeks of play. So, numbers.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    I will be doing some more stompy stompy on MWO tonight around 9pm EST. If anyone else is around.

• Options
    I will be doing some more stompy stompy on MWO tonight around 9pm EST. If anyone else is around.

If that is when the daily resets, then I will probably be online too.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

I'm going to try and be on tonight as well to do the PPC challenge. Either in my Panther or Linebacker. Not sure which I'll play around with.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular

I'm going to try and be on tonight as well to do the PPC challenge. Either in my Panther or Linebacker. Not sure which I'll play around with.

Mine is getting done in my mad/ whm/awsm . I am all about ppcs!

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Gokerz wrote: »
    Trying to get into the game, and starting with medium mechs to get a feel for the combat again seems like a good idea.

The SHC - Shadowcat with ECM & 2x cLPL or 2x cERPPC can put in a lot of work.
    The HBK-IIC with 2x cERML & 2x cUAC10
    The HBK-IICA with 6x cERML & 2x cLPL / 2x cERPPC & 6x cSPL or 6x cERSL ie: this build

Many Stormcrow / Nova / Huntsman builds too.

The most important thing is that as a new player, you dont overspecialize into a single range band, but at the same time dont be too scattershot with your weapons. (For a long range build, you want 3 close range weapons, and for a short range build, you want at least 1 long range weapon).

Make sure you are familiar with what your weapons are capable of and their limits, so you arent wasting heat in a brawl firing your LRMs.

Stick with Clan mechs, and be careful of some trap weapons like the cERLL which has horrible heat/damage effeciency, and also has a long burn time requiring you to expose yourself to use it.

Recently I've been running a Huntsman with 2LPLs and 6SPLs and it's been working well above expectations.

It's a pretty good mech, but in QP I don't see the advantage of using it over a heavy, since it certainly doesn't play like a medium.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Orogogus wrote: »
    But in a turn-based game there's nothing stopping you from doing both jobs, and it feels like you'll spend half your time waiting for the other guy to do something you could do yourself.
    I mean, if you could multitask in a multi-person shooter, would you? Would you really prefer to play 3 characters yourself, rather than team up with friends and shoot the bull and execute on a plan and laugh when it falls apart because you're all only seeing a small part of the picture? What does the turn-based nature have to do with it?

• Options
    Guess I will have to re-configure my D to go back to PPCs instead of LPLs.

• Options
    Glal wrote: »
    But in a turn-based game there's nothing stopping you from doing both jobs, and it feels like you'll spend half your time waiting for the other guy to do something you could do yourself.
    I mean, if you could multitask in a multi-person shooter, would you? Would you really prefer to play 3 characters yourself, rather than team up with friends and shoot the bull and execute on a plan and laugh when it falls apart because you're all only seeing a small part of the picture? What does the turn-based nature have to do with it?

It depends on implementation, if both you and your co-op partner complete your move phase at the same time, it could be interesting.

If it is setup where you move a mech, he moves a mech, you move a mech, etc. Then it would be tedious and I would prefer to just solo play.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I've spent hundreds of hours watching videos of people playing games without a personal stake, I'm more than happy enough watching my friend take their turn in the game I'm also taking part in. But hey, preferences.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Glal wrote: »

Not being able to multitask, and doing things you wouldn't be able to do yourself, is kind of the key. So yes, if I were some kind of triple brained creature with extra appendages then hypothetically yes, I might prefer to play all 3 characters myself, and would probably look for co-op experiences that had 6 or more characters instead.