As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Movie Thread.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    I believe he spends a good deal of the commentary track of the dvd apologizing as well.

For reference, Tim Burton also goes into detail about complaints he received on the commentaries for his Batman movies, and either explains his intent or apologizes. Apparently he got a ton of complaints because Alfred let Vicki Vale into the Batcave and I guess there were fans that felt that shouldn't happen? He also explained the "Batman shoves a bomb down a guy's pants" scene and said that he intended it to be a Looney Tunes moment (and you only see smoke and confetti from the explosion) and he regretted not including a shot of the aftermath where the clown is covered in soot like Elmer Fudd and then passes out.

Lars on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Is cuing up a boombox to play the song just too much expense to bother with or something? Or is this just in situations where they know they're going to use music but they haven't decided which song yet by the time of filming?

• Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    Any time anyone shits on Batman and Robin in favor of a more "brooding" Batman movie my eyes just roll right out of my skull.

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Ladai wrote: »
    Any time anyone shits on Batman and Robin in favor of a more "brooding" Batman movie my eyes just roll right out of my skull.

Both versions of Batman are valid.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    If you look at Batman and the Robin in the same vein as Batman 66 it's pretty much brilliant in my book.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Professional dancers do not need music to stay on the beat.

Also, they practice a bunch.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Well, if they're professionals, then they'll be okay with it and not feel any particular embarrassment over dancing to silence and no chipmunks actually being on-set.

That said, piping in audio happens occasionally in other behind-the-scenes videos I've seen where dancing is involved, so maybe it's on a case-by-case basis.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »
    The best part of that shitty Kickboxer sequel Tube mentioned?

During the credits they have Jai Courtney in a split screen dance-off with footage of young JCVD in the original.

I think it's Scott Adkins?

The film also has the line "Tong Po! I challenge you to a fight!" and it's precisely as bad as whatever the worst line reading for that you can imagine is.

How does it rank against the current champ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIt0VY7Yg2w

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Batman and Robin is by far the most enjoyable Batman movie

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

That's all well and good for scenes full of professional dancers, but when it's a bunch of actors and some extras?

Is there some reason I don't know about that makes it bad to have music on set?

• Options
    For professional dancers they'll have the lead choreographer screaming 1-2-3-4 at them to keep time. If it's a bunch of extras and they're just supposed to be sort of background dancing at a club, it depends. Generally you'd ADR that dialogue anyway so they could have music on set. Generally it's just not that important that extras are dancing in time.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I know, from It's Always Sunny, that if they're doing a scene in a dance club with any dialogue being spoken there will be no music played on set.

• Options
    Yeah, if the dancing isn't important and they want to leave the real dialogue in there's no real reason to not have people just bopping along.

• Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Solar wrote: »

One of my favorite parts of that movie is when Commissioner Gordon is talking to Batman about Poison Ivy and Bane going into hiding somewhere in South America, and says something like "Here's their last known photograph." He then hands Batman this picture:
    550981_10101871358913619_673415645_n.jpg?oh=67a2723a17d8f08ef4b648e679f0d3b4&oe=59E85CBE

I cannot overstate how much I love everything about that picture.

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    Solar wrote: »

Eh, I dunno. Having seen both Batman and Robin as well as Batman '66, I still find the old movie more enjoyable.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    If you pay too much attention to dance scenes it becomes obvious a lot of the time that everyone has a completely different beat happening in their head.

This generally doesn't apply to movies about dance, where they tend to go to a lot more effort. Sitcoms are usually dire*, though.

*with a red hot exception for Spaced, as usual

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Spaced was too good for this world.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    If you pay too much attention to dance scenes it becomes obvious a lot of the time that everyone has a completely different beat happening in their head.

This generally doesn't apply to movies about dance, where they tend to go to a lot more effort. Sitcoms are usually dire*, though.

*with a red hot exception for Spaced, as usual

Listen, not every show can have a great dance sequence like Legion...

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    SabreMau wrote: »
    Well, if they're professionals, then they'll be okay with it and not feel any particular embarrassment over dancing to silence and no chipmunks actually being on-set.

That said, piping in audio happens occasionally in other behind-the-scenes videos I've seen where dancing is involved, so maybe it's on a case-by-case basis.

Why do they bother giving the chipmunk a skirt if her entire ass isn't going to be covered by the skirt at all?

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    So that she codes as female.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    You can't cover an animal's butthole, they'll just shit on the clothes

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    The default chipmunk is male. That's a real thing in our society. How sad is that?

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    The default chipmunk is male. That's a real thing in our society. How sad is that?

Well it's not called a chipnun.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Banned straight to hell

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    I don't know that banning goes far enough in this instance.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Welcome to the problems of drawing/animation and coding. Damn near everything will default to male without a little coding.

• Options
    StempyStempy Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    I believe he spends a good deal of the commentary track of the dvd apologizing as well.

For reference, Tim Burton also goes into detail about complaints he received on the commentaries for his Batman movies, and either explains his intent or apologizes. Apparently he got a ton of complaints because Alfred let Vicki Vale into the Batcave and I guess there were fans that felt that shouldn't happen? He also explained the "Batman shoves a bomb down a guy's pants" scene and said that he intended it to be a Looney Tunes moment (and you only see smoke and confetti from the explosion) and he regretted not including a shot of the aftermath where the clown is covered in soot like Elmer Fudd and then passes out.

This sounds like George Lucas level of bullshit. Was the guy the bat mobile set on fire supposed to disappear in a cloud of smoke to be replaced by a cooked chicken leg?

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I don't know that banning goes far enough in this instance.

Force him to take the vows?

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular

That's all well and good for scenes full of professional dancers, but when it's a bunch of actors and some extras?

Is there some reason I don't know about that makes it bad to have music on set?

Usually on sets they'll have a choreographer on set to keep everyone in time, plus musical numbers often have a good number of takes and cuts, so it's something that's done in small bits, then edited together

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    I didn't realize the Big Kareoke Dance Party Ending was such a thing until i read some article complaining about it...and now i realize every dreamworks movie ends this way! And then that Sing movie was literally a feature length big kareoke dance party ending. Why do children's movies have to be so bad when the tv shows seem to be getting better and better

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I have never seen Trolls, but I can almost guarantee I can describe the sequence the song, "Can't Stop the Feeling," by Justin Timberlake, is played over

• Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    I like camp Batman. I still suspect I'd find B n R boring as I did the first time

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    UH
    7aawc1wexg3j.jpg
    John Carpenter and Anthony Burch are writing a sequel comic to Big Trouble in Little China, set in 2020 after Ching Dai has unleashed hell on Earth and 60 year old Jack Burton is one of the few people left alive.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Was that other Big Trouble comic any good?

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Anthony Burch? Welp, I'm out.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Anthony Burch? Welp, I'm out.

Why

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    some might say that mr. burch is a bad writer

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options