As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Poké] PKMN - Comfy And Easy To Wear

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Eli hops up and down a few times in triumph, his flame flickering multiple new colors before settling back down to its typical soft purple glow.

If Elijah's fired up by the battle, it's nothing compared to how Jim looks. In fact, he looks like he's about to burst into flame himself, with a few drops of sweat on the forehead and his hair wild. He leaps into the air in excitement, cheering. "Oooh yeah, that's the way the candle burns!" The heat of battle's got him so in focus that he completely forgets all that information he learned about the Squirtle and scans the battlefield to check on his teammates. That... angry-looking... rat thing... definitely seems like trouble, and it's close to Eli to boot! "Alright, E.J., we're not done here yet! Let's give that beaver the spook of a lifetime!"

The prospect of scaring something, especially something as disconcerting as the Bidoof, seems particularly appealing to Elijah, who decides to pull out all the stops. He sinks into the floor with a malevolent grin, disappearing completely from sight.

The lights dim. What happened to the generator? Did they cut off? Are they struggling to pick up a new load? Or is there a foul spirit about? The fluorescent lights begin to flicker erratically. Whatever's causing this, it's for sure that this place has some seriously bad juju.

"Oooooh... pretty scaa-ary!" Jim shouts.

On cue, the Litwick pops up through the floor, phasing right up to the Bidoof's face, uttering a terrifying, and truly Astonishing wail, scaring him back Against the Wall! At once, the lights return to normal, and you wonder if perhaps they ever really went out at all?
    Tiamat, would've come to help Moriarty but you're both faster than Elijah, and Bidoof's keeping him from moving freely. If I can keep Bidoof off my back, I'll see about having Elijah run interference for you next turn. Marsh, is it possible to ready an action (so for example, ready an attack to go off as soon as a Target enters the same field as my Pokemon?)

Also: Litwick's attempting the impossible, scaring a Bidoof. Curious to see how this turns out.

Terrendos on
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Haha! This is why you should always ground your electrical equipment! , Richter crows.

When the lights come back up, Richter sees the Bidoof occupied by the Ghost Pokémon.
    Seeing as North's barely scratched the Bidoof, Richter supposes that matchup can't be any worse...

Well so long as we're a free electr-one... , Richter sees the Bulbasaur barely holding itself together against the Squirtle, we may as well collapse that wave... function. Pokémon. Whatever.
    North! Get over there and use Barrier on the Squirtle!

North is sucking on a loose power cable half-heartedly.
    The circuit has been tripped, and the computer bank is dead.
    Still, North is buzzing.
    His previous lethargy is gone.
    Full of foreign energy, North charges across the room at the turtle Pokémon, sparks arcing across its body.
    Grinning madly, he covers the two of them in his staticky electric shield.

Suddenly concerned, Richter walks over to a nearby wall radiator.
    Speaking of grounding , Richter quickly ties his plumbob to the metal piping.
    Rather than hanging limply, the iron blob is stubbornly pointing straight at North from across the room.
    Grounding wire. Safety first.

• Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    "Don't let your guard down yet Pidgey!", Alex shouts, fists clenched, "Show it how we do!"

But Pidgey is way ahead of him--returning a sheepish look to the Squirtle, she gives them a wink and Turtle a playful punch on the shoulder with it's vine, as if to let them know that, hey, it's all in good fun!

[PIDGEY used CHARM on SQURITLE!]

That is, before hopping out of the way of North's juiced up charge.

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Tiamat, would've come to help Moriarty but you're both faster than Elijah, and Bidoof's keeping him from moving freely. If I can keep Bidoof off my back, I'll see about having Elijah run interference for you next turn. Marsh, is it possible to ready an action (so for example, ready an attack to go off as soon as a Target enters the same field as my Pokemon?)

Also: Litwick's attempting the impossible, scaring a Bidoof. Curious to see how this turns out.

Barring any outside interference, Moriarty might be able to beat the Charmander. His speed alone means he gets to act first, and the fact he's doing a constant 2 damage a hit should be enough to take the fire Poke out of comission. Should Charmander fall, I'll get Moriarty to assist you with the Bidoof menace (It looks like Tommy's got the Squirtle on wraps, and Kay's got the Rockruff sorted).

TiamatZ on
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Looking at how the debuff/harassing powers interact with stamina, I'm wondering if a move that harrasses HP would be considered super cheesy, given that it's effectively 2 damage per hit, regardless of defenses. It'd help definitely Volnoy crack hard targets, I'll run the math and see at which point HP debuff beats Defence debuffs.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
    Kay wrote: »
    Looking at how the debuff/harassing powers interact with stamina, I'm wondering if a move that harrasses HP would be considered super cheesy, given that it's effectively 2 damage per hit, regardless of defenses. It'd help definitely Volnoy crack hard targets, I'll run the math and see at which point HP debuff beats Defence debuffs.
    I think last time I played this system HP debuffs didn't actually decrease stamina, so that debuff didn't really do much...

Ah, I was just going by Volnoy's current Stamina (Max 7, current 3 with one with a strikethrough after taking 3 damage) and North's buffed HP.

Actually, I think it makes more sense for North to take a HP debuff move if they work that way (tanky, better use of support style moves, and electric HP buff/sap might be a neat thematic way to go with the powers) while Volnoy grabs a -Def power, going with powerful water erosion as the flavour.

ew9y0DD.png
  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Terrendos wrote: »
    I mentioned this earlier, but the Professor 'mons aren't Threatening any Pokemon except the one they are currently engaging with, so you can move them around as freely as you like.

There's no ready action, but I figure you can delay an action until later in the round, which would probably work the same way. ie. So-and-so will use this move on this Pokemon, after this other Pokemon's turn.
    TiamatZ wrote: »
    Barring any outside interference, Moriarty might be able to beat the Charmander. His speed alone means he gets to act first, and the fact he's doing a constant 2 damage a hit should be enough to take the fire Poke out of comission. Should Charmander fall, I'll get Moriarty to assist you with the Bidoof menace (It looks like Tommy's got the Squirtle on wraps, and Kay's got the Rockruff sorted).
    Pokemon damage is pretty static, so you can count on consistently dealing the same amount as usual, up until Boosts and Harasses start coming into play. Same goes for speed and turn order, again, up until certain other Styles come up.

You can usually have a pretty good idea how the battle is going to go from the first one or two exchanges. Battles in this system are intended to last about 4 rounds, plus or minus a couple when you take into account Weaknesses, Resistances, smart plays and dropped balls. The "game" is to notice when you're doing well and keep doing it, and recognize when you're falling behind and switch up your strategy to regain lost ground.
    It's probably the strongest style for straight up dealing damage, especially when paired with certain other Styles, but it has a number of counters that increase as the game goes on and Pokemon have more Exp to spend on moves to fight back against specific strategies.
    discrider wrote: »
    I think last time I played this system HP debuffs didn't actually decrease stamina, so that debuff didn't really do much...
    If that was in ShockG's game, that was a GM call he made that I disagreed with. Not removing any Stamina makes both Boost and Harass (HP) Niche to the point of uselessness. They only counter each other, and only help/harm a Pokemon that intends to heal itself a lot, and with battles that last four rounds on average you won't see much of that.

Thinking about it, possibly the best option would be to meet it halfway. A point of HP damage also deals a point of Stamina damage. That puts the rough damage output on par with many other Styles (such as the forced movement ones that have been dealing extra points when you shove enemies into hazards) and still lets it interact in interesting ways with other Styles (like slightly reducing ability to heal and such, when those Styles make an appearance).

I think that might be what I go with from here on out, hmm.

Marshmallow on
    Edgelord Charmander.
    tumblr_ork0qpEO9e1tk56hxo1_540.jpg

ew9y0DD.png
    edited October 2017
    Hold onto your butts. :...:

~ Sycamore Labs ~ :whistle:

Beatrix's quick cheer has its intended effect on the Junior Detective's Pokemon, inspiring the ruffled Murkrow to keep its head in the game.

Beatrix Inspired Moriarty!
    (Choose a Stat to Boost, or recover 2 Stamina)

Diving at the gloating Lizard Pokemon, Moriarty utilizes its Powerful Peck to once more send the Charmander packing.

Moriarty used Peck on Charmander!
    Charmander took 2 Stamina Damage!
    Charmander was Thrown to Against the Wall!

Tossed into the much-damaged wall, the Fire-Type barely hits the ground before being nearly buried under a subsequent shower of crumbling brick and mortar dust.

Charmander took 1 Stamina Damage!

Unable to get back to its feet, Professor Sycamore shakes his head sadly and returns the defeated Charmander to the safe confines of its Pokeball.

"The mighty Murkrow takes down its nemesis," he says, switching seamlessly to a charming smile. "Chapeau, madamoiselle."

Charmander fainted!

Aggressive on the rebound, Volnoy wastes little time getting its counter attack in on the hapless Puppy Pokemon, the teasing tug tempting the tiny canine into chasing its tail moments before the water crashes down on it.

Volnoy used Splash Dash on Rockruff!
    Rockruff took 2 Stamina Damage!
    It's Super Effective!
    Volnoy shifted to Near the Professor

With agility to match that of his loyal Buizel, Aleksandr vaults, ducks and leaps through the obstacles presented by the Computer Desks, arriving near the concerned-looking Professor, who spares the Ace Trainer a curious glance before turning back to the battle.

Aleksandr also shifted to Near the Professor!

Completely exhausted from all this fun, and ready for a rest, the Rockruff flips its sodden form over onto its back, with its legs up in the air. It continues playing 'dead' until Professor Sycamore rolls his eyes and deigns to return it to its Pokeball.

"Perhaps I shall call on your assistance the next time it refuses nap time," Sycamore says, dryly.

Rockruff fainted!

Squirtle shares a shy smile at Pidgey's counter-antics. You'd think it'd be weird to have an enemy who looks an awful lot like your KO'd ally buddying around with you, but lets agree not to judge.

Pidgey used Charm on Squirtle!
    Squirtle took 1 Stamina Damage!
    Squirtle's Attack Fell!

The awkward moment between the two is not long to last, however, as North arrives brimming with energy and zeal, eager to unleash its accumulated charge on a worthy recipient.

The Power-mad Geodude unleashes the Barrier to end all Barriers, a crackling catastrophe that threatens to once again bring the power down. Luckily all that amperage finds an outlet in the oh-so-conductive form of the unfortunately-aqueous Squirtle.

North used Barrier on Squirtle!
    Squirtle took 6 Stamina Damage!
    It's Super Effective! (Gigavolt Havoc: Richter gained 1 Trainer Exp!)
    North's HP Rose!

Twitching with paralysis and covered in electrical burns, the Squirtle is hastily returned to its Pokeball by the Professor.

Squirtle fainted!

"Merde, that's nearly all my Pokemon defeated," he says. "I hope you can preserve my honor as a battler with something good, Bidoo- Oh, hell." :whistle:

Exactly where it wanted to be, with precisely the lack of opposition it wanted, the Bidoof turns its sinister gaze on the nearby League Challengers. It's going to hit North where it'll really hurt.

Their Trainer.

Bidoof used Sucker Punch!
    Richter is being attacked by a Pokemon!

(Probably) too late to stop this horrible act, Elijah must (possibly) content itself with sweet vengeance served cold, pouring every ounce of its shadowy power into thrusting this horrible creature away from the trainers before it can cause anymore damage.

The light-flickering, chain-rattling, ghostly-wailing assault on the Bidoof's senses miraculously sends the Normal Type backpedaling in a panic, flailing across the room until, with a light tap, they come to rest against the unsteady foundation of the wall.

Eli used Astonish on Bidoof!
    Bidoof took 1 Stamina Damage!
    It's not very effective...
    Bidoof was Thrown to Against the Wall!

The wall lets out a gravelly creak, groaning under the strain as several cracked bricks clatter to the floor. Bidoof, the straw that broke the Camerupt's back, blinks slowly. Then snickers.

Crashing cacophonously, the wall collapses in a wave of bricks and dust.

:whistle:
    4nSjMYs.gif4nSjMYs.gif4nSjMYs.gif

(There Is No Arceus, Only Bidoof: Aleksandr, Alex, Beatrix, and Jim gain 1 Trainer Exp!)

A veritable wave of fuzzy brown Pokemon from the room beyond descend on the lab in utter, confusing chaos, covering every available surface in a living carpet of excitable and loudly whooping rodents.

"Oh," Professor Sycamore groans wearily, knee deep in the mob of Plump Mouse Pokemon. "The Bidoof pen, of course."

Picking out the one evil Bidoof out of the... dozens? hundreds? of nigh identical creatures seems all but impossible.

So...

Battle over?

???
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Battle Summary!
    Enemy Pokemon Fainted: 4/5
    Friendly Pokemon Fainted: 0/5
    Achievements Earned: 4/5 (Missing: We Don't Need No Water)

Richter gained 3 Trainer Exp!

- North gained 5 Exp!
    Aleksandr gained 2 Trainer Exp!
    - Volnoy gained 5 Exp!
    Jim gained 2 Trainer Exp!
    - Elijah gained 5 Exp!
    Alex gained 2 Trainer Exp!
    - Pidgey gained 5 Exp!
    Beatrix gained 2 Trainer Exp!
    - Moriarty gained 5 Exp!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Whew, that was a heck of a battle. It felt like it went very smooth on my end, so hopefully it was entertaining for everyone else as well. You certainly handled your trainers and their Pokemon well!

For that final dastardly Bidoof attack against Richter, this can be handled a number of ways:
    -Richter may decide to simply grit his teeth and take the hit, incurring an injury along the lines of [Bruised Ribs] for which he will need to rest a bit to recover from (not a huge deal mechanically, though Professor Sycamore would surely feel horrible about it).
    - He might decide to spend two Voltage to mimic the Physique Exploit "Endure a Painful Situation", survival instincts kicking in to help him protect himself from the attack
    - If he doesn't do either, Jim could have Elijah step in to take the hit since it's the only Pokemon close enough to help. I wouldn't recommend this though, since Terr's characters have suffered enough at my hands (also I'd have to rewrite half the post).
    - Lastly, another Trainer may step in to take the hit, getting injured or defending themselves with Physique/2 Voltage as they prefer.

Also, I will GM No Contest Beatrix's Network Token to Inspire, as once more it's useful mostly as an option that has been opened for later battles.

Now we just need to find an in-battle use for Mobility...

Marshmallow on
    On the subject of mobility in battles...

Spend a Mobility token, push Richter out of the way of the attack, or is that more of a Physique thing?

Alternately, Aleksandr could take the hit (fast, has Physique too) and spend a token to endure the blow.

ew9y0DD.png
    Aleksandr's on the other side of the room!

Could spend a Mobility token to get back to the other trainers really fast, maybe?

Oh, oh yeah! He did some running. Well, let's see what the others think.

ew9y0DD.png
    edited June 2017
    I probably should've waited to see how that was handled before continuing on with the rest of the post, but oh well, I get in a writing mood and try to get as much done with what I've got as I can. Leaving a round half-finished or waiting on one person's reply to wrap things up can take too darn long, sometimes.

(Though you all have been spectacularly timely thus far.)

Marshmallow on
    edited June 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kKXvDaJIzQ

Bidoof. Bidoof never changes.

Edit: Something tells me we haven't seen the last of that Bidoof!

Edit 2: I take it the missing achievement required someone to set the Bidoof on fire? (either via Eli's fire attack, or via the broken computers/wires/dangling cables on the desks)?

TiamatZ on
    Richter stares down at the malevolent Bidoof.
    Ha. Ha. Those puns weren't really that bad were they Professor?
    The Bidoof growls.
    Eep!

Using everything he has at hand to defend himself, the Bidoof receives Al's towel to the face as it attempts to attack.
    In the meantime, Richter desperately dives to the side to get out of the Pokémon's path.
    Mobility token spent

Picking himself up, Richter turns to face the Pokémon again.
    Olé?
    But before the Bidoof can move to attack once more, the lights blink, and Eli has scared the rogue Pokémon away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kKXvDaJIzQ

Edit 2: I take it the missing achievement required someone to set the Bidoof on fire? (either via Eli's fire attack, or via the broken computers/wires/dangling cables on the desks)?
    It might have had something to do with North's water containers that are somewhere on the field.

edited June 2017

This guy gets it.

Marshmallow on
    The Achievements were

Quick On The Uptake: Deal Super Effective Damage (which everyone could get)
    This Is Why You Save Every Five Minutes: Force a foe into the Computer Desks for extra damage (and ruin a reasearcher's day)
    Lights! Camera! Power Outage!: Take down the lab's power (I expected this to be done via water in the Computer Desks, but an power-hungry Electric Type sufficed)
    There Is No Arceus, Only Bidoof: Damage the wall five times to release the Bidoof Stampede.
    We Don't Need No Water: Light the Bidoof on Fire, sparking a snarky Poke-conversation with the Squirtle (if unfainted).

The Professor's Pokemon would have also helped the Trainers take out the Bidoof, if it came to that, after it attacked Richter. Attacking Trainers is Not Cool, and basically only something that happens with "Hostile" loyalty Pokemon. Fortunately I got the chance to 'blast it off again' to another encounter, somehow, someday.

Another fun note: All the enemy Pokemon were 15 Exp 'mons (even Bidoof). That the group came out so undeniably ahead speaks to the importance of picking your target well, and dealing that Super Effective damage.

edited June 2017
    "By all means, Professor," Aleksandr answers. "Perhaps you would like us to take the Rockruff for a run with us when we go, tomorrow morning. I think they will be best resting this evening after this battle." Al grins widely, then reaches into a back pocket, and produces a Cheri Berry that he tosses towards Volnoy. The Buizel ceases rubbing at his bruised nose, catches it in one paw. He flashes a dashing grin, then raises it high with a disgruntled cry as the swarm of Bidoof cover everything.

Al moves swiftly, and scoops up Volnoy before the battered Buizel is overwhelmed by plump, clueless mice.

"Do you need help cleaning these up?" Al asks, his brows creasing together in confusion. "And do you have a bulldozer to make the herding more easy."

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    "Aw, that's adorable", Alex says, unclenching his fists with the completion of the battle and the unleashing of the adorable horde. He reaches down to scritch the nearest Bidoof. His Ditto, meanwhile, breathes a well deserved sigh of relief. She looks around at the stampede with interest

"Hey Pidgey, get back over here befor- well shit"

The remaining Bulbasaur has seemingly disappeared.
    so is there an amount of XP that needs to be reached before we spend it? Or do we just allocate it as it comes?

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    edited June 2017
    Whatever it was that got Jim going, he's now completely pooped. "Whew, man, what a great time!" He takes a deep breath before regaining his composure. "Great battle, everyone! Especially you, little man!" he points at Eli and winks, eliciting a blush from the Litwick as he floats up above the brown carpet.

As Jim's feet disappear beneath the Bidoof horde, he scrunches his mouth in consternation and looks to the Professor. "Being a gentlemanly sort, I won't ask what purpose could possibly require having all these Bidoof. Nope, definitely not asking that."

He turns to Alex as well. "Thanks for the assist with that Squirtle! Don't think Eli could've taken another hit like that! I'd thank your Pokemon too, but... oh, bother." Jim winces. "Well, at least she's making friends!"

Terrendos on
    edited June 2017
    "Honestly, I've had nightmares that end like this. I'm...sure she's fine?", Alex replies, wiping a bit of sweat from his brow. Sighing, he smiles and bows to Sycamore.

"Fantastic job to everyone, by the way. Et merci pour le défi, professeur!"

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    edited June 2017

"That would be a blessing," Professor Sycamore replies to Aleksandr's offer to take the Rockruff out and about. "I understood all Rockruff are some manner of feisty or another, but compared to its siblings here, this one is another kind of energique altogether," he continues, grabbing Bidoof by the scruff of their neck and stuffing them into a wriggling bundle underneath his other arm. "Perhaps a younger trainer who can keep up with it, and a more disciplined Pokemon role model, will do it some good. It and your Buizel seemed to get along so well, also!"

"I'm sure I will manage, heavy equipment or non" he says, referring to the Bidoof. "If you should happen to have a bulldozer at your disposal, I would not turn it down, however."

Jim's offhand comment gets the Professor's attention. "Ah, well. I mentioned collaborating with my mentor on evolution and changing Types? Bidoof are an easily accessible resource for the both of us, are well-known for changing Types when they evolve, and as a typical Normal Type are open to many other Type affinities."

Indeed, within the crowd of Bidoof (technically, a group of Bidoof is called a "collaboration", or sometimes a "nuisance") there are a few individuals that occasionally have a crackle of electricity snake across unusually puffed-up hair, or burp a tiny lick of flame, or have a rather greenish, mossy looking tinge to their fur.

"And of course they are easy to take care of and so very docile," the Professor adds. "Usually anyway," he murmurs, scanning the mob fretfully for a pair of ominous, glimmering eyes.

"Merci à toi aussi, Alex," Sycamore replies to the Breeder, smiling at Alex's fluent thanks. "Félicitations pour avoir gagné le match!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    so is there an amount of XP that needs to be reached before we spend it? Or do we just allocate it as it comes?

You can allocate it as it comes, though usually some manner of training montage can be nice when you have the time to write one.

Keeping a bit of Trainer Exp in the bank can also be very useful, so when you acquire a new Pokemon you can immediately get it a Move or two to personalize it a bit, and fit it into your team composition better.

Speaking of, I can't remember if I mentioned it in the OP rules, but Trainer Exp is simply Exp that you can give to any Pokemon you train, as opposed to Pokemon Exp which, naturally, is only spent on the Pokemon that earned it.

Improving your trainer is generally done by acquiring additional voltage, that you can subsequently choose to invest in one of the PKMN traits if you want to increase one of those. Likely as not the first time you will get one of those is when you defeat your first Gym Leader.

Marshmallow on
    edited June 2017
    So Alex is taking home 4 trainer xp total that he can spend as needed on 'mons, while Pidgey is getting 5 experience exclusive to them. I think I got it.

I'll try to see if I can get some discreet pages set up on the wiki tomorrow or the day after. I have a playstation gold edition and persona 5 coming in the mail so I might...maybe be distracted. A little bit.

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    edited June 2017
    Oh sorry, the total in the battle summary includes the Achievement Exp. Everyone currently has 5 Exp on their Pokemon, and two Trainer Exp to invest as they please (Except for Richter who got 3 courtesy of blowing out the power).

Edit: Currently have copies of character sheets here, for easy access while writing posts, that I will attempt to keep as up-to-date as possible. Though of course there's nothing like having your own space to fiddle with.

Marshmallow on
    edited June 2017
    Beatrix Inspired Moriarty!
    Since the battle’s over, it’s pretty moot. Still, gonna give Moriarty a stamina boost.

With the battle over, the Murkrow flies towards his trainer, voicing a series of victorious caws. He was excitedly expecting his just desserts. “Way to go, Moriarty! We did it! Showed that Charmander a thing or two!”

Moriarty perches on her shoulder, still awaiting a reward. “Wait, what… now?! Come on, man… Can’t just leave yet. It’ll be rude.” was her response.

The Darkness Pokemon gives no shits, just puffing up his feathers in indignation. We beat him up, showed him whose boss. Treat. Please! was the inner voice Beatrix imagined the Murkrow would have squawked had he a vocabulary that didn't include the syllables "Mur', "Krow", or the combination of the two. “Ugh, fine. Chew on this for a bit. We’ll be rolling in those sable things soon enough... well, NOT literally.” She tosses what appears to be a Poketoffee towards his beak. Moriarty gladly starts chewing on the candy with glee. At least that’ll keep you quiet in the meantime…

She shuffles herself through the entire mobile, shaggy floor that was now covered in Bidoof fur towards the professor. She admits she felt a pang of regret for help triggering all of this. “Ummm…. Sorry for causing all of this. Didn’t knew you had a…what was it called… a Bidoof pen? Terribly sorry. When we got here, wrecking your lab wasn’t high on my priority list… err… what I meant to say is, not that wrecking it was on my list at all.” She looked back at the researcher near the desks, whom was busy shooing any Bidoof making its way to him.

“Oh,that reminds me… You said your name was Richter earlier, that right? You alright?”

Awaiting a response, she listens in on the Professor’s comment. "...collaborating with my mentor ... evolution and changing ...Types when they evolve... as a typical Normal ... open to many other ... affinities."

Earlier, her Dex entry classified Charmander as… Wyrm-bred. “Ah, beggin your pardon, Professor. Does that mean the Charmander we fought against was also altered? Are Charmanders not normally Fire/Dragon in the wilds? Oh...” She pulls out another similiar toffee she gave to the Murkrow earlier, only yellow with green polka dots. "Something for your Charmander. Citrus berry flavoured Poketoffee. All of the rage in Unova right now. Just recently came out a few weeks ago. Not as good as poffins, but very sticky, and long lasting. Kinda like gum. He was one helluva fighter, he was. Gave me and Moriarty a run for our money, so to speak. Think he deserves a little something for that great fight."

TiamatZ on
    edited June 2017

"It's quite fine," the Professor responds to Beatrix's concerns, cheefully. "You'd be amazed how some of the League initiations go these days. This one wasn't so bad on the property damage at all, and of course I will just send the Kalos League a bill as usual." He sighs. "I believe they think something has gone rather wrong if they don't get one after I meet with the Trainers."

"The Charmander... Not altered so much as... different. While the Charizard line is very draconic in its later stages, its rarer to see one manifesting the Typing so early, in the wild or otherwise. I believe most of the Charmander I hand out to starting Trainers these days are Fire/Normal, or sometimes Fighting or Fairy. There once was a Fire/Rock one that was rather solid, that is, even-tempered." He gestures ambivalently.

"But Dragon Types... very difficult unless you've built up a strong bond, and even then. Not good at all for a beginner."

He accepts the small candy graciously. "Merci beaucoup. She is a 'she', actually. Rare, again, for Charmander. But yes I was very impressed. I think the competitiveness did her good, as she does not get to properly battle very often, what with how busy we are in the labs. I am certain she will enjoy the treat."

Marshmallow on
    "Dragon typing would also remove Fire's weakness to Water," Aleksandr offers to Beatrix and the Professor, "While Dragon's usual weakness, Ice, would be removed by the Fire typing. It is good combination, but never forget that Dragon types have weakness to their own attacks, like Ghost," The Sinnoh trainer offers, gesturing towards Elijah.

When the Professor praises his bond with Volnoy, Al starts brushing dust and mud from his partner's orange form. After a moment, he hops onto a desk to evade the worst of the Bidoof menace. Volnoy looks grumpy at the treatment, but endures it. He even squirts a little water here and there to help with the cleanup.

"Let's help round up the Bidoof," Al says, once Volnoy is somewhat less muddy. "Good work, everyone. Some powerful league challengers here. Alex, you would probably know best how to round up these little ones, da?"

Aleksandr scoops up a pair of Bidoof under each arm, while Volnoy raises another over his head with both arms. A crackle of electricity from the plump mouse he holds arcs to his whiskers, making them stick out stiffly.

"Oh, and I would love to spend some time with your Rockruff, Professor. A challenging species full of fun and energy is always pleasure to train," he says, inclining his head towards Volnoy. "I hope to train one myself, someday. They are both adorable and powerful. Like Volnoy."

The Bidoofs struggle, chirp and derp.

The Buizel grumbles and hefts his prisoner back towards the pen.

ew9y0DD.png
    Elijah not actually weak to Ghost.
    chaos_fennekin.jpg

Yeah, but Al doesn't know that!

ew9y0DD.png
    Richter dusts himself off somewhat unsuccessfully as the Bidoof gets forced against the back wall.
    "Great. Now I'm damp and filthy."

Then the floodgates open, and he scrambles to pick up the towel again before it is trampled under so many small feet.
    No sign of the aggressor anywhere though.
    So, making sure of where he places his feet, he unties his pendulum and looks around for North.

Beatrix makes her way over though postponing his search.
    "Uh, yes. I'm Richter. Une chat.", Richter thinks for a moment.
    "Err, that wasn't it... Hi I mean. What's your name?".
    She seems to not have heard him though, as she turns to talk to the Professor once more.
    "I'm fine though! Thanks!"
    The Bidoofs are now all avoiding him too.
    A thousand evil beady eyes have turned to watch him, with their ears pricked.
    What a wonderful way to start an adventure, he broods.

Following the iron blob, Richter parts the Bidoof sea.
    The cord is no longer horizontal; North must have discharged when he was swarmed by the rats.
    But it still vaguely points in the direction of a growing clump of distressed Bidoofs.
    As Richter approaches, he notices their fur is rather more puffed out than usual, and, more tellingly, are stuck to their neighbours.
    Working one of the edges, North is picking up Bidoof after Bidoof, charging them, and then adding them to the pile.
    Geo!, smiles North, grabbing another mouse Pokémon to fuzz up.
    "Heh. I'll go get the trolley.", replies Richter.

edited June 2017
    Looking at that wiki, Moriarty could do with another Resistance.

discrider on
    "Eli? Weak to Ghost? Perish the thought!" exclaimed Jim. " Eli ain't 'fraid of no Ghosts! Nobody out-spooks the Spookmaster! And nobody out-flames the... flame... guy, either!"

Jim looks back to the Professor. "So where should we head first? Is there a gym roundabouts, or a good place to train?"

edited June 2017
    discrider wrote: »
    Looking at that wiki, Moriarty could do with another Resistance.

That is indeed correct. Murkrow have so few natural resistances (including two immunities). Which reminds me, Marsh: How are Immunities treated in Voltage? Like say, Ground attacks to Flying types?

Otherwise, I can just give him another resistance, or remove one weakness (maybe Ice).

TiamatZ on
    I have questions!

The Pokémon XP: 5/20
    I assume that means currently 5, total of 20, which includes the initial 15xp we spent? Are there levels or evolution in this system?

Regarding learning moves, and current moves - do you prefer existing move names, or is it okay to make up your own, as I did? Are there limits on what moves you learn? I was hoping to teach Volnoy a Dark type and Ice type move at some point.

Lastly, do you mind if I change Water Bolt from Physical to Special? I didn't use it, and meant to ask about it previously when Marsh was explaining how the Attack stats worked, but it slipped my mind. If I do get to change it to a Special move, I'll probably rename it to Water Pulse. Sounds more Special-Y.

ew9y0DD.png
    edited June 2017
    Which reminds me, Marsh: How are Immunities treated in Voltage? Like say, Ground attacks to Flying types?

The way I've always handled it with NPC mons is if they have a x4 Resistance or Immunity, they are all but guaranteed to have that as a Resistance, and if they have a x4 Weakness, they almost always have it as a Weakness.

One of the central conceits of the system, as I apprehend it, is that your turn is never "whoops, that did nothing". Hence why there is no miss chances and immunities and whatnot. Probably from back when I had PbPs that updated weekly at best and having your turn invalidated stung pretty bad.

As Discrider noted, you can take Weaknesses and Resistances with very little justification. Dragon Resistance could be a fun one for Moriarty, given that I usually use Dragon as the "jerk bully" Type and I can't see him putting up with that business at all.

I have questions!

The Pokémon XP: 5/20
    I assume that means currently 5, total of 20, which includes the initial 15xp we spent? Are there levels or evolution in this system?

Regarding learning moves, and current moves - do you prefer existing move names, or is it okay to make up your own, as I did? Are there limits on what moves you learn? I was hoping to teach Volnoy a Dark type and Ice type move at some point.

Lastly, do you mind if I change Water Bolt from Physical to Special? I didn't use it, and meant to ask about it previously when Marsh was explaining how the Attack stats worked, but it slipped my mind. If I do get to change it to a Special move, I'll probably rename it to Water Pulse. Sounds more Special-Y.

Correct. #/# for Pokemon Exp is [Amount they have to spend]/[Amount they have earned over their career]. This makes it easy to doublecheck stat totals and Moves against Exp to check for errors, which can be common when you're trying to keep track of several Pokemon. Note that when you spend Trainer Exp on a Pokemon, it adds to this as well.

Levels and evolution don't really exist in a solid form. Your Pokemon's 'level' is how much Exp they've spent, and evolution is mostly an excuse to completely redo your Pokemon from scratch, should you desire to do so (ie. Refund all your Exp, start again from Stats at 1, two Moves, and 2 Assists and go from there).

Coming up with your own Move names is great, especially when it gives some character to the Pokemon who knows them. I was very pleased with Volnoy's move names.

I was thinking of requiring outside help in the form of a tutor or similar to teach off-Type moves to Pokemon, but honestly I don't think its that huge an issue, considering that a non-STAB Super Effective Move is barely better than just plain STAB, and allowing Pokemon to learn a variety of Type Moves really opens up the door to interesting Status Moves (which don't care about STAB/Effectiveness). So go ahead and learn whatever Types you like.

Styles I'm going to be a little more strict on. Last version of the system had some 30-ish Styles available, and a lot of them were super cool. This iteration will stick to the main seven, and finding TMs and Move Tutors that let you learn some of the others will be a big part of the game. Feel free to check out the old rules page and the GM Sanctum for a look at some of the 'secret styles' that you might stumble across in your journey.

Go ahead and change your Moves as you please, especially if something isn't working out or doesn't function like how you hoped/expected. I like people to be happy with their characters and being very liberal with letting folks change things as they get tired of old stuff/get a new idea is one of the ways I try to manage that.

Marshmallow on
    edited June 2017
    ~ Sycamore Labs ~

"Oh, that reminds me. A commemoration of our battle..." Professor Sycamore mentions, dropping his current Bidoof to reach a hand into a lab coat pocket. Fiddling with his Pokedex for a few moments, each of the League Challengers own devices chime softly to denote the arrival of a gift.

"That allows each of you access to TMs 1 and 6 on the Kalos net. Those TMs can be used with your Pokedex to teach your Pokemon different versions of Harassing and Boosting Style Moves that are of the 'Status' Category."

"As you saw with the Rockruff and er... Bidoof... Status Moves do not deal any damage to a Pokemon, but have a much enhanced effect. For Boosting and Harassing, this means you may greatly increase your Pokemon abilities in battle, or harshly deny an opponent their full strength. They can be tricky to use, but I hope you will find them helpful on your Journey."

"One more thing," he adds absentmindedly. "When you were registered for the League, you also received two phone numbers on your Pokedexes. One is my own, and you may feel free to contact me if you have any troubles or questions that you think a Pokemon Professor like myself could help with. The other is Monsieur Simone, who is the League Representative in charge of your applications. We in Kalos take the safety and satisfaction of our League Challengers very seriously, so if you need any help navigating League rules and regulations, have any comments, or even complaints about the behavior of a Gym Leader or fellow trainer, or any of the goods or services you take advantage of during your challenge, you may expect him to handle things decisively."

That speech done, he turns to Jim. "The Prism Tower you no doubt have noticed is this city's Gym, led by Clemont, an Electric Type specialist. You do not have to challenge him immediately, or even first, however. If your only Pokemon at this time has trouble with electricity, you may put it off until you have acquired another ally, or even after gaining some experience challenging other Gyms beforehand."

"The very first Gym you challenge, you are permitted to use only one Pokemon if that is all you have. Thereafter the standard for most League battles is the doubles battle, so you may wish to find another partner soon, so they are ready for the challenge when you are."

"Lumiose City has a number of parks that are common places for trainers to exercise and train their Pokemon. There are also routes that lead to all corners of Kalos just outside the city, and those are excellent places to test your mettle against wild Pokemon, or to attempt to befriend a new addition to your team."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Edit: To be clear, you can use those TMs to teach any move that is a category status harassing or boosting style. Pick a type, stat (or pair of stats), and name it whatever you like, Dragon Dance or Hone Claws or Screech or whatever. Adding a list of acquired TMs to the Secret Base for ongoing reference.

Marshmallow on
    edited June 2017
    Aleksandr rests a hand on his Pokédex as he feels the vibration signifying a notification, then nods towards Sycamore. "Thank you for the Technical Machine access, Professor," he says, before ducking through the broken wall to dump off a quad of wriggling Bidoofs. Volnoy tosses his atop the others with a shiver as he gets another static shock. "Sadly, I must be first to admit that my Buizel does not do well versus Electric types." The accused folds his arms over his chest, and sticks his tongue out at Aleksandr. "Though I am sure he would do his best. It is a shame that Rockruff are not native here, I think their playful nature would be very good as a friend for Volnoy, and the typing lends itself well towards beating Electric types, especially if it is a very muddy puppy, like your own. Speaking of typing, I noticed your shchenok, ah, your puppy resisted a Fighting move - what typing does it have?"

The Sinnoh trainer then straightens up, and pushes both hands into the small of his back. "I would like to train a Ralts and Riolu, though. I believe they are both found in the wild near to Lumiose. Also Fletchling and Litleo, for Fire typing. I must ask, though. Do we all need to challenge the same gym? If so, perhaps we should talk about it as a group, and plan our training and travels."

Here, Volnoy jabs a thumb at the center of his chest, and aims a tight jet of water at Aleksandr's face. He takes it stoicly, then turns towards Volnoy, who beats at his chest again and flexes, before performing a rapid series of impressive maneuvers - some pushups, a handstand, a backflip, and a feisty grin. "Da, Volnoy. I know you are strong. But with friends to train with, you will become stronger. And they will all learn from someone as skilled as yourself."

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    "Wow, that's really impressive!" replies Jim. "You've really got everything planned out already? That's fantastic! I didn't even think to check what Pokemon might be around here." Jim thinks for a moment, tapping his chin contemplatively. "Hmm... of course, now that I do think about it, that might not work out the best for me anyway. I'm more of a 'gut feeling' sort of guy. That level of planning... so much work... nah."