As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xenoblade] Xenoblade 2 coming to the Nintendo Switch in late 2017

19495969798100»

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    I remember fuckall about how XC1 ended. Didn't it go total batshit at the end? Something about
    scientists on a space station orbiting Earth.
    I may need a refresher before I go into XC2 if there's much linkup at all between the two.
    That scene was there, but the events that took place there preceded XC1.
    The scientist that pushed the button that basically destroyed the universe as it existed was who we came to know as Zanza. The female that was warning him was Meyneth. The computer that controlled the experiment is Alvis.

XCX, on the other hand, ended with a real whopper.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    I remember fuckall about how XC1 ended. Didn't it go total batshit at the end? Something about
    I may need a refresher before I go into XC2 if there's much linkup at all between the two.
    The scientist that pushed the button that basically destroyed the universe as it existed was who we came to know as Zanza. The female that was warning him was Meyneth. The computer that controlled the experiment is Alvis.

Yeah, XCX was not nice with the ending there. There's a million things hinting at stuff like that throughout the sidequests.

And then NOPE, pray for sequel.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Yeah, XCX was not nice with the ending there. There's a million things hinting at stuff like that throughout the sidequests.

And then NOPE, pray for sequel.

Heh I am in the minority when I say I liked that ending, but with a caveat. I liked it while currently under the assumption that there will be a sequel. If there isn't then, man, fuck right off.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I think that something XCX-like may be the next iteration. My feeling when watching yesterday's demo during the Treehouse was that they view XC proper as a separate franchise/series than XCX. Could be wrong, but it was sort of danced around when they were talking about using the XCX engine for XC2 (which is why it was developed so quickly) and why this game was a sequel to the first (story driven vs. mechanics/gameplay).

• Options
    Yeah, they were fairly open about XCX being about trying new things too - I can absolutely see the engine shared between the games, and that kind of thing helps your dev costs a bunch.

Wouldn't be surprised to see enemy designs being reused and such too for generic mobs.

• Options
    Aesthetically, XCX is my jam. It looks like the marriage of classic Xeno designs with the huge openness of XC. Never played it (c'mon Switch port), but the mechs and future tech looks awesome.

• Options
    I do have to say that I really wished they had given XCX a different name. Guess it is too late now.

• Options
    The tech designs, especially the skells, are my favorite thing.

I love the look of the skells. I love how everything with their transformation works - they didn't handwave a thing, everything moves to a new point, they transformation looks right watching them standing still (no floaty magic, they just slide legs/wheels around during the sequence to maintain balance).

• Options
    Despite its flaws, XCX did have some impressive attention to detail at times.

Plus it had a few plot twists that legitimately caught me off guard and that is a god damn rarity for me.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    The worst part about Xenoblade Chronicles was how my favorite character got her life skewered in about every single way possible.

Melia, you are the true star of XC. :(

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    I just wanna make a Citan clone and run around with a laser sword while stomping on mooks in a green, black, and white mech. C'mon, Monolith Soft, gimme a Switch port.

• Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    The worst part about Xenoblade Chronicles was how my favorite character got her life skewered in about every single way possible.

Oh, yeah.
    There is a long stretch of the game where it's clear she has a thing for Shulk. And it looks like it might work out.

Ooops Seven.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    But Melia went on to star in Doctor Who

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    The new style weirds me out more now than before.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular

Oh, yeah.
    There is a long stretch of the game where it's clear she has a thing for Shulk. And it looks like it might work out.

Ooops Seven.

Yep
    she lost her family, her home, her heritage, her people, and it seemed that she had at least one thing going for her, the fact that she was in love with shulk and he seemed to feel the same way. Unfortunately his feelings for her dropped the instant seven showed up.

How did she react? She was the awesome positive supportive wonderful person that she always was in the game. She continued to support shulk with every decision he made regardless of her own happiness.

:(

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular

So.... did the events of XC1 take place
    within a computer simulation or some shit? Or did Stimpy not only destroy the universe when he pressed the red, shiny, candy-like button... but also created a new universe in which XC1 took place?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    The trailer makes me want to go back and finish XCX. I kinda gave up on the game because it was so overwhelming. I love the details, I love the approach to a story (wider story with character details fleshed out in sidequests- very Fire Emblem esque), I loved the world. But my goodness, trying to wrap my head around the minutiae of the mechanics just gave me a headache. I practically had to relearn the game every time I booted it up again. Not to mention the online components, which I never understood...

Maybe I'll just pick up Xenoblade Chronicles instead.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options

So.... did the events of XC1 take place
    within a computer simulation or some shit? Or did Stimpy not only destroy the universe when he pressed the red, shiny, candy-like button... but also created a new universe in which XC1 took place?
    All indications are that the universe ended. And Mayneth and Zanza became gods of the new one.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular

Oh, yeah.

Ooops Seven.
    it really is a shame that she ended up with Sharla providing advice for her crush. Anyone other than Sharla or Riki could've made it immediately clear that that was doomed from the start.

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    TDawg wrote: »
    The trailer makes me want to go back and finish XCX. I kinda gave up on the game because it was so overwhelming. I love the details, I love the approach to a story (wider story with character details fleshed out in sidequests- very Fire Emblem esque), I loved the world. But my goodness, trying to wrap my head around the minutiae of the mechanics just gave me a headache. I practically had to relearn the game every time I booted it up again. Not to mention the online components, which I never understood...

For what it's worth, Xenoblade Chronicles is mechanically pretty straightforward for most characters.

X got complicated fast.

Road Block on
  • Options
    Mario_SunshineMario_Sunshine Registered User regular
    Cmon Nintendo, the English voices are so awful. Why they cannot pick the right person to do it. I just hope they make us choose between English and Japanese voice.

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Road Block wrote: »

For what it's worth, Xenoblade Chronicles is mechanically pretty straightforward for most characters.

X got complicated fast.

Yeah, I played maybe the first 15 hours when my roommate owned a copy, and I really loved it. It struck that balance of engaging combat and variety without going over the players head.

I think I am okay with each of Xenoblade Chronicles X's new features on their own, but all together it's ridiculous. I'm hoping XC2 manages to keep the best while showing some restraint.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    I think the moment I figured out that the X characters in battle callouts provided mechanical effects and were configurable was the moment I realised I was in trouble.

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    I think the moment I figured out that the X characters in battle callouts provided mechanical effects and were configurable was the moment I realised I was in trouble.

I ran a mind control build, so my strategy was simple. Just use allies with lots of purple callouts, and then customize myself with whatever color they have the most of (turned out to be orange).

• Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    The other characters in that trailer are acceptably well-voiced, I think, but the main character is stinking up the joint. The accent is appreciated but the line reads are flat as hell.

edzepp on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

X got complicated fast.

I feel like one of my problems with X was that the combat seemed real rad early but then you hit the completion of your build way before the end of the game and you have the same handful of abilities that you just use in the same order every fight and never see anything new again.

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    X had a lot of problems. The UI for finding alternate party members in the world was sort of nightmarish. And the music. Dear god the music.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    From the out-of-nowhere department, Square-Enix is mashing together Xenogears and Front Mission into a giant robot fighting arcade game or something: http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/538/1538233/

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    X had a lot of problems. The UI for finding alternate party members in the world was sort of nightmarish. And the music. Dear god the music.

The very fact that you had to find party members to swap them out.

Getting stuck in affinity quests unable to do anything else until they were finished.

The campaign to required sidequest ratio.

The visual jank/camera while fighting in skells.

The piles of recolors for gear.

The lower level quests sending you in to areas with high level mobs for seemingly no good reason at all.

I say this all as someone who had fun with the game and I'm glad I bought it. But dear lord was it filled with some issues and bad design.

The required party members for all of the Story Quests. Seriously, why the fuck have all these different characters to choose from if you can't use them for the actual main missions?

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    X had a lot of problems. The UI for finding alternate party members in the world was sort of nightmarish.

It could only be nightmarish if it actually had one tho

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    The soundtrack was amazing. I will fight you on that.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    One thing I love about XCX is the ability to make your armour look like any other piece of armour. XC1 sorely needed that.

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    The soundtrack was amazing. I will fight you on that.

I mean I guess that depends how much you really, really like hearing these songs on repeat. Even listening to them now triggers me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB6XKsE43KQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBHlaTSShnc

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    Both tracks would be 99% better without vocals

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    There were some nice tracks IMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwAdGHq0VWY

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Town music was tedious, everything was aces.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699