As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Painting Miniatures] vs the unending tide of grey plastic

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    You should feel great about how great your paint job looks and horrible about how many of those you're going to help sell to unassuming children.

• KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    You should feel great about how great your paint job looks and horrible about how many of those you're going to help sell to unassuming children.

THE GEEDUBS IS MOTHER
    THE GEEDUBS IS FATHER

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    hm, how do people tend to react when they get a bit too much primer mist in the face?

i primed outside yesterday, but it wasn't very windy and my balcony is in a corner, and last night and today i've been extremely congested (though i think there's an infection at work too)

do people find it can aggravate existing congestion issues?

It varies.

I get a mild cough and can eject bits of paint from my nostrils for a day or two

Mrs Kneel ended up with a terrible chest problem that lasted months, but has a history of asthma.

So I'd say 'yes' to the aggravation of existing conditions.

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Ya got paint snot, son. Cough that shit out.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Suddenly brush priming doesn't seem so bad.

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    I'm planning a paint scheme for a new Space Marines army and I'd like some advice.

Examples made with an online painter:
    4ijcmtk3ew2p.png
    1. Standard Marine. Royal purple base, burnished gold accents.
    2. Sergeant. Additional gold brings out his status as a squad leader.
    3. Captain. Heavy on the gold as well as his red cloak.
    4. Veteran. The Vets will wear more red over their purple with the Sergeants also getting an extra dose of gold.

A more comprehensive lineup is here.

Any opinions on the scheme as shown? I'm not sure I want white squad markings on the basic Marines but I'm not sure how to make them more interesting. I could add some red to them, perhaps replacing the purple on the left pauldron, but that might be infringing on the Veterans' thing.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Ianator wrote: »
    I'm planning a paint scheme for a new Space Marines army and I'd like some advice.

4ijcmtk3ew2p.png
    4. Veteran. The Vets will wear more red over their purple with the Sergeants also getting an extra dose of gold.

Any opinions on the scheme as shown? I'm not sure I want white squad markings on the basic Marines but I'm not sure how to make them more interesting. I could add some red to them, perhaps replacing the purple on the left pauldron, but that might be infringing on the Veterans' thing.

This scheme works pretty well.

I should know because it's super similar to mine.
    And I actually pulled out all my painted marines ready for 8th so I know what I need to get done.
    pnbW27YJj

Some minor differences I found work well that might be worth considering.

I used a bone colour rather than gold for chest eagles and similar, it makes the gold trim pop a little more.
    I also used blue on the most cloth, the red get used on holsters, bolter straps and the like. This also let me tie in the power weapons nicely. Important cloth is still red, see the captains banner.
    I also went with white squad markings. It actually stands against the purple really well.

Fake Edit: secret bonus hidden kitty pic.

Norgoth on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Man, I love purple but didn't think marines would look good in it. But dayum, those look great.

What is this I don't even.
  • GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    I'm kicking around a paint scheme for some Necrons and I was hoping I could get some ideas on what to do with the Gauss Flayer? I'm very much going for day-glo skeleton.
    tdg0ikvk2ywq.png

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    Neon pink.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    DCVn60hUIAIiPZA.jpg
    A bit more work on these guys. I decided to finish them both before i settle on which purple i like best.

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    Good idea. What looks good at the start might not look good at the end.

In other news, I "finished" my first 30K Thousand Sons Veteran squad and their big bro the Contemptor. I'll try to get some photos tonight, but I'll have to set up the light tent.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular

4ijcmtk3ew2p.png

My first thought RE: squad markings is: company colours. If your Chapter is Codex-based, they should have company colours on there somewhere and the squad icon seems like a good place. You can also do company-coloured squad numbers on the knees or something too.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    edited June 2017
    My wife has been painting my army since I just don't really have the patience for it anymore, and I wanted to brag on her work a bit.

Edit: To put behind spoilers because scrolling.
    jd6nYAm.jpg

Rj91zVq.jpg

Darkewolfe on
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »

4ijcmtk3ew2p.png

And I actually pulled out all my painted marines ready for 8th so I know what I need to get done.
    pnbW27YJj

I used a bone colour rather than gold for chest eagles and similar, it makes the gold trim pop a little more.
    I also used blue on the most cloth, the red get used on holsters, bolter straps and the like. This also let me tie in the power weapons nicely. Important cloth is still red, see the captains banner.
    I also went with white squad markings. It actually stands against the purple really well.

Cool stuff! Now I just need to, y'know, get a job to afford all the stuff.

---

New question!

My palette is a ceramic bath/kitchen tile. It's great for mixing and easy to clean but the paints tend to dry up before I'm done with them. Would I have to mix an extender into the paints? Add some kind of wet palette surface on the tile?

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • MuddypawsMuddypaws Lactodorum, UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Norgoth wrote: »

4ijcmtk3ew2p.png

pnbW27YJj

Cool stuff! Now I just need to, y'know, get a job to afford all the stuff.

---

New question!

My palette is a ceramic bath/kitchen tile. It's great for mixing and easy to clean but the paints tend to dry up before I'm done with them. Would I have to mix an extender into the paints? Add some kind of wet palette surface on the tile?

A dedicated wet palette is easy to DIY but also dirt cheap just to buy on e-bay or a craft store. They are life changers.

It's basically a flat container with a lid, blotter paper and tracing paper.

Muddypaws on
  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    I think I might try to base my next test model after the color scheme on this armor:
    6aa6fa1fc3b8123795f56cedd9fdacc0.jpg

In the Master Series Paint, what paints would I be looking at for that vermilion and whatever color that blue is? Is it Volcanic Orange and Glacier Blue?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • WatcherWatcher Registered User regular
    I like Explosion Orange and Ashen Blue, or Heather Blue for the colors.
    They do have a tool called a "Power Palette" under the "Paints" heading that lets you upload a pic, and give you closest match to colors.
    Unsure if it would be okay to link it here, so, I did not.

edited June 2017
    Thanks, I used that tool (I never would have noticed it otherwise) and found that I had the paints already. It chose Carnage Red for the color fyi. Anyway I gave it a shot and this is my first attempt with that color scheme (and my third model painted overall):
    xyoxjptu78c1.jpg
    q90rqarlr4y9.jpg

So overall I think I like the vermilion armor color but I don't like how the reddish brown leather turned out. I think what I'll do for the next model is keep the armor the same and change the flayed skin to that blue that I only used for the cloth on the shoulder. I'll change the leather armor parts to black and maybe highlight with some really dark red. I also didn't like how the two-toned barrel turned out, so I think I'll just change the barrel and all the flash to that brass color. Any inputs? Obviously I need to work on brush control, and I sure learned a lot about working with inks this time around.

edit: Oh, follow up, once I decide on a scheme I like, what should I do with these test models? Strip the paint with simple green?

italianranma on
    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Stupid-ass, completely irrelevant question:

How do you store your supplies? Are there advantages/disadvantages to certain setups? What about brush storage, or primer? Artbins? How much should I look to spend?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    I keep all my paints and brushes in the cardbord box my baneblade came in.

website_header.jpg
    I've got a school pencil box for my paints and a washed-out soup can for the brushes.

...My paints are still drying out though. My Mechrite Red is almost shot and my Macragge Blue won't be long either.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Move your GW paints over to dropper bottles. They're cheap, make getting out the right quantity of paint a breeze, and keep your literally worth their weight in gold paints from becoming useless in a month.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Also, "nearly gone" paints can be revived completely with airbrush thinner if you have it. Once it's totally dry, though, you're out of luck.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    Athenor wrote: »
    Stupid-ass, completely irrelevant question:

How do you store your supplies? Are there advantages/disadvantages to certain setups? What about brush storage, or primer? Artbins? How much should I look to spend?

I really like these sorts of things.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M14EZHF/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• frayfray Registered User regular
    I've never really looked into Reaper paints before but I like the look of their midnight blue, looks like exactly the kind of dark blue I've been looking for. It seems like they're pretty hard to get hold of in the UK though?

"I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
    I'm actually absurdly practical about this. At least, I feel I am; by all means, judge for yourself.

I just have a very simple Mastercraft toolbox that I store my paint in. Fits almost perfectly snug (if I had exclusively dropper bottles they wouldn't have space to shift around at all)~
    d7v3vkgrzg40.jpgp6kmi2d1a465.jpg

The rest of my painting supplies, when not just chilling on my desk as many currently are, live in a little plastic toolbox I picked up at Michael's years ago. It's a very convenient setup because the bottom has space for my wet palate, brush cleaner, water container, brushes, toothpicks and book I track colour schemes. The bonus is that the little top tray is very handy to hold a few models I'm working on. I lined it with tissue paper so there aren't really contact surfaces to knock around and chip on.
    5ue6iyz27oh8.jpg

Overall it's incredibly mobile since I can take one in each hand and have everything ready to move with no overhead whatsoever. ^_^

They have a "pick your own palette" option at 54 and 108 paints, so maybe go in with a friend. Also, I think their Bones 4 kickstarter is coming up soon, so you might be able to nab some paints there at a nice discount. There were a bunch of bundled paint sets with previous bones that I've seen available on Amazon Prime US.

I've got P3, GW, and Reaper, and I like the P3 the best I think. Those have lasted years without drying out, but the range is pretty small. I like the droppers with the Reapers, but sometimes it's too much paint per drop. They're very liquidy compared to P3 and GW. I actually think I like the new GW shades and I'll probably pick up a few: the Reaper black Ink didn't pool like I wanted it to. But I've sworn off GW paints themselves as they dry out like you read about.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    My newest local store carries P3 instead of Citadel so Imma start grabbing that instead. Already got a pot of Khador Red Base and while it's just as hard to apply as any GW Blood Red I've ever used I do like their pots more.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    So, now that landraiders got gud, I dusted off an old chassis I had sitting in my closet and hacked it apart for converting. I always thought raiders were all backwards, what them basically just being WW1 trapazoid tanks. I spun this fella around and swapped the engine and assault ramp (actually, replaced the door with a Valkyrie ramp door). Now that vehicles don't have firing arcs, I mounted the much cooler looking covered (hurricane bolter) sponsons, and smattered the other weapon systems around (havok launcher in the back, combimelta in the hull) and a cute baneblade turret for the heavy bolters.
    chaos_raider_wip01.jpg
    chaos_raider_wip02.jpg
    chaos_raider_wip03.jpg
    chaos_raider_wip04.jpg

website_header.jpg
  • FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    I've been watching the Warhammer Channel's painting tutorials.

They are equal parts impressive/informative and relaxing

Though there is a certain Bob Ross level of "bullshit, that's not how painting works."

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I'm trying Duncan's method of painting T-Sons with gold primer to do the gold bits first since there's a ton of trim.

clrrRNr.jpg

keZyiP0.jpg

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    DCghxPsUwAALYiq.jpg
    Finished these 2. Leaning towards the blue purple over the pink purple now that they're finished

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    I'm trying Duncan's method of painting T-Sons with gold primer to do the gold bits first since there's a ton of trim.

clrrRNr.jpg

keZyiP0.jpg

That is a cartoon ass face that man has, positively Flintstonian.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I keep my paint in a tacklebox but it's not held up over the years the paint is chunky
    But then it's nearly 20 years old
    I would bother posting pics but f photobucket and it ad happy ass

edited June 2017
    Echo wrote: »

keZyiP0.jpg

Witnessed?

italianranma on
    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I keep my paint in a tacklebox but it's not held up over the years the paint is chunky
    But then it's nearly 20 years old
    I would bother posting pics but f photobucket and it ad happy ass

You can directly upload to the forums now. It makes life much easier.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    A wee bit fiddly. For the next unit I think I'll just basecoat the blue instead, and definitely leave the loincloth off.

REy4Su9l.jpg

That's some tidy work right there, young man.

3EnCIQg.jpg
This discussion has been closed.