As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Hard Mode

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited June 2017 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Hard Mode

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular
    I understand why games are exclusive. I still think it's stupid.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    This comic reminded me of that ridiculously complicated Assassin's Creed DLC exclusivity/pre-order/versions 'matrix-table' from a few years back.
    You really had to study that shit just to be able to figure out what was (or wasn't) in what you were buying.

• Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    The tychpo in the second panel is appropriate, and contributes to the dialogue.

• Options
    poipoigirlpoipoigirl Registered User regular
    Sometimes exclusives make sense. Like Bayonetta 2 on the wii u. Nintendo was the only one to back the game, so they got the game to themselves. Btw the game was very fun. But games don' always stay exclusive... like The Tombraider reboot eventually came out for the ps4. I waited for it on the ps4. It was worth the wait.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    The thing they're doing where games release early on one system with extra DLC but ultimately are not otherwise exclusive is pretty equally annoying.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    This comic reminded me of that ridiculously complicated Assassin's Creed DLC exclusivity/pre-order/versions 'matrix-table' from a few years back.
    You really had to study that shit just to be able to figure out what was (or wasn't) in what you were buying.

Watchdogs had a crazy-stupid pre-order chart too.
    gv7rpb6n6pwh.jpg

• Options
    RottonappleRottonapple Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    YoungFrey wrote: »

gv7rpb6n6pwh.jpg

I knew there was a reason I hadn't bought a console since my PS2, and why I rarely buy a game for my PC

Rottonapple on
  • Options
    NebacacoisoNebacacoiso Registered User new member

gv7rpb6n6pwh.jpg

And then developers wonder why so many people turn to piracy, even if they like the game and can afford it. Why reward such anti-consumer practices and limit your experience when with one simple download you can have the full package?

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Alternative option: wait a couple of years, download the "Gold Edition" which has all the stuff that you actually want for 1/2-1/3 the release price of the game, not to mention 2 years worth of patches and bug fixes.

• Options
    RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    I understand why games are exclusive. I still think it's stupid.

The answer is always money.

D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Red Dead Redemption had like weird preorder stuff based on where you bought it and some other factors and then yeah later on you could just get all of them.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular

gv7rpb6n6pwh.jpg

And then developers wonder why so many people turn to piracy, even if they like the game and can afford it. Why reward such anti-consumer practices and limit your experience when with one simple download you can have the full package?

I always have the full package.

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    Well... Super Mario Odyssey will be a real exclusive, I can say this much.

• Options
    WitowtWitowt Registered User regular
    "it is relative exclusivity is constantly in a..."

• Options
    Michael HaightMichael Haight Registered User new member
    edited June 2017
    Witowt wrote: »

Yeah, can anybody clarify this? I thought the comic was pretty good, but that stuck out to me. I'm pretty sure it should say, "...its 'relative exclusivity'..." since it's referring to a noun, not an adjective. I'm a little surprised they both overlooked that; I've always been envious of Jerry Jerry's literary prowess.

Michael Haight on
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Witowt wrote: »

Yeah, can anybody clarify this? I thought the comic was pretty good, but that stuck out to me. I'm pretty sure it should say, "...its 'relative exclusivity'..." since it's referring to a noun, not an adjective. I'm a little surprised they both overlooked that; I've always been envious of Jerry literary prowess.

Literary prowess and typos are not mutually exclusive. Writers aren't some sort of demigods who always get it right the first time. That's why proofreading and copyediting is such a big deal. They usually get it right, but every once in a while one slips through. Even when Mike notices them while drawing the comic, he refuses to fix them to punish Jerry for not catching it.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    I've always been envious of Jerry literary prowess.
    Can anybody clarify this? I thought your post was pretty good, but that stuck out to me. I'm pretty sure it should say, "...I've always been envious of Jerry's literary prowess'..." since Jerry is a possessive noun, not a normal noun.
    people make typos

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Michael HaightMichael Haight Registered User new member
    I've always been envious of Jerry literary prowess.
    Can anybody clarify this? I thought your post was pretty good, but that stuck out to me. I'm pretty sure it should say, "...I've always been envious of Jerry's literary prowess'..." since Jerry is a possessive noun, not a normal noun.
    people make typos

Holy crap, and I triple-checked that before posting, too. I swear, I overlook the most obvious mistakes sometimes (or: I was actually referring to "Jerry" as a style of writing, characterized by a dry sense of humor, and occasional references to hard sci-fi and 1990's hip-hop).