As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

BalooFest '86, Outcome: record for simultaneous release of necessities, [Podcasts], 2 dead

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    as someone for whom the serious TAZ stuff has generally across either one-sided or corny, the end of the eleventh hour was beautiful

it was sincere and good in a way dissimilar from FATT (which succeeds in the emotional payoff realm immensely for me), unique in a way that makes me wary to write off all of griffin and co's attempts at non-jokey storytelling. I mean the majoras mask comparison is obviously right there, but it left me feeling almost like I'd just finished a Nintendo game. Real warm but not twee or cloying.

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    I think the problem was that starting with crystal kingdom he figured out he could use repeating cycles for each session.

In CK it was picking between rooms. It was less of an issue here because each room was different but it laid the groundwork for the cyclic nature.

In 11th hour it was the Groundhog Day cycle.

In suffering game it was the sacrifice -> dilemma -> sacrifice stuff.

Now in stolen century it's repeating searching planes for the light of creation.

While I realize he's mixing it up a little bit due to events, each arc is falling into a pattern that is starting to wear out it's welcome.

I hope that in the finale and the next adventure there's less of these patterns.

This feels like a real wide net, honestly

There are similarities in every narrative, that's the nature of storytelling

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    I just started listening to TAZ from the beginning for the first time.

What episode does it start falling apart?

I still like it quite a bit, and don't think it has fallen apart at all!

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks

I think "fell apart" is too extreme, but turning Stolen Century into a 2-month digression killed any momentum they had going into their finale.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I have finally dug myself out of The E3 Content Hole

Alison Brie was on Spontaneanation this week and she is as excellent as you'd hope

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Straightzi wrote: »
    rhylith wrote: »
    I think the problem was that starting with crystal kingdom he figured out he could use repeating cycles for each session.

In CK it was picking between rooms. It was less of an issue here because each room was different but it laid the groundwork for the cyclic nature.

In 11th hour it was the Groundhog Day cycle.

In suffering game it was the sacrifice -> dilemma -> sacrifice stuff.

Now in stolen century it's repeating searching planes for the light of creation.

While I realize he's mixing it up a little bit due to events, each arc is falling into a pattern that is starting to wear out it's welcome.

I hope that in the finale and the next adventure there's less of these patterns.

This feels like a real wide net, honestly

There are similarities in every narrative, that's the nature of storytelling

It's really not.

Basically my complaint is that each arc is sticking to a formula of repetition, which for me at least ends up making the overall arc less exciting. Suffering game really started to drag about midway through and was really saved when Griffin broke the monotony of the formula he had set up for himself. I still haven't listened to the latest ep yet but the repeating cycles of land on world - do a thing that will lead the characters from the past to be more like the characters today - get light (or not) - next world got stale much faster than I would have liked.

NOT every narrative is based on episodic repetition.

Edit: I should mention I still like the podcast as a whole but I'm so ready for this arc to be done.

rhylith on
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    WHM Transformers Marathon:

I cannot help but laugh a bit whenever a coworker grabs some packing tape, all because of Tape Man.

kreeeee-tch!

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    There's a new My First E3 episode, wherein we determine how expensive is too expensive for a meatball sub.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    This is like some guerrilla podcast shit

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    In the latest FatT
    A bard spills a bunch of water in God's cottage

A theif is betrayed by a nationalist dog

And a holy man finally gets the nacho cheese he was searching for

NeoToma on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I have finally dug myself out of The E3 Content Hole

Alison Brie was on Spontaneanation this week and she is as excellent as you'd hope

I stll have 8 hours of podcasts to get through. :(

Waypoint has been pretty great so far.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    TAZ fell apart for me when griffin discovered Friends at the Table

Dude took a campaign and forced it into a role it wasnt ment to be

The problem is that they all killed it with the eleventh hour and then I feel like they lost it after that

I think the Eleventh Hour is actually where FatT's influence started to become more noticeable to me.

Griffin asks the boys to "respect the fiction" a couple of times during the arc. He pauses the action for a bit and asks the how everyone thinks that the characters are feeling about the whole thing. He included NPCs with they as their pronoun. And more dramatic monologues thereafter.

TAZ's tone and structure are still very different, and at times it seems like Griffin's a little trapped in the solid sort of video game structure he set up for himself. Hub -> Adventure -> Hub -> Adventure -> Hub -> Adventure. The Stolen Century is that structure fast-forwarded.

It's ironic that he used a hacked version of the Powered by the Apocalypse Engine, which ideally would allow for some nice narrative flexibility and unexpected outcomes, but the result has felt very restricted and planned.

That said, I still feel like kind of a goob being too critical of Griffin. He's clearly learned a lot, but he's still stuck with decisions he made a couple years ago now. Here be Gerblins was the first D&D adventure he had ever run and for better and worse everything in the story he's working through now were built on those early, nervous foundations. Heaven help me if I had to stick with the bullshit adventures I first ran for three years with an, at times, too intense fan community picking over absolutely everything.

Other miscellaneous RPG Podcast thoughts:

It must be a weird and wobbly line playing a game that is also a narrative that multitudes are going to become heavily invested in. I know that people rolled their eyes at the Barry reveal and say that it's pandering. I can see where they're coming from, but when it happened Clint was laughing his butt off, the other boys were giggling and Griffin was clearly very excited.

They had probably recently been delving into Here Be Gerblins for the comic, and seeing Barry show up again clearly tickled them. It is a narrative that a lot of people are listening to, but it's also a game that a family is playing together and I can't be too perturbed by a DM who is pandering a bit to his players and making his dad laugh a whole bunch.

I think if the pillars are critical worldbuilding, smart characterization, and fun interaction between good friends (and family), the first two can be a little wobbly as long as the last one is solid.

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    FaTT
    I can't believe Lem managed to piss off a dying god into feeling better

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the biggest problem with TAZ is that it should have ended by now

And like, I do believe that Griffin has been seeding parts of this overarching plot all the way through, and that does make things harder to rush

But the game is probably too beholden to its characters and systems by now, and while I think Griffin has been realizing that and trying to compensate, his compensations have drawn things out rather than abbreviating them, which only makes the issues seem larger and larger in magnitude

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Yeah, the biggest problem with TAZ is that it should have ended by now

And like, I do believe that Griffin has been seeding parts of this overarching plot all the way through, and that does make things harder to rush

But the game is probably too beholden to its characters and systems by now, and while I think Griffin has been realizing that and trying to compensate, his compensations have drawn things out rather than abbreviating them, which only makes the issues seem larger and larger in magnitude

This is best exemplified by Stolen Century going 5 episodes longer than planned because he couldn't bear to cut it down, even though most of the stuff established in it will be largely irrelevant to the plot it's setting up

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    I think the Stolen Century is a good idea that they've had trouble executing.

i think i've said this before, but you can not in any way cohesively write a story about characters living 100 years together, go through a year in an hour, and skip over two decades with nothing but a casual mention of things that happened in between. that said, and i don't mean this to sound like i'm belittling griffin's story, but it's mostly a funny D&D podcast so i'm not exactly going to it for the most logically written narrative of all time. TAZ has continued to be super entertaining to me because of the personalities and characters.

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Abby and Ben are very good.
    Adus wrote: »
    I think the Stolen Century is a good idea that they've had trouble executing.

but you can not in any way cohesively write a story about characters living 100 years together, go through a year in an hour, and skip over two decades with nothing but a casual mention of things that happened in between.
    I disagree. It's just like episodic tv.

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    It'll all be worth it for the episode where Taako and Merle get their drivers licenses.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    to be fair, amiibos are stupid

as the owner of 50+ amiibos i agree

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    I am starting to hate amiibos, and they're making me not want to buy Nintendo's games. They seem to be locking more and more gear and items behind them, and then refuse to either make the items available in other ways or even make enough amiibos to go around. Zelda is a complete clusterfuck. A lot of those items sound cool, but guess I don't ever get to play with them. At least lootboxes can't all get bought up by scalpers.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    I love The Adventure Zone, I think it's been on a real tear since the Suffering Game, The Stolen Century is my second favorite arc, and I'm super invested in all the obvious fanservice and joke characters at this point

Oh and I'm way into all the corny emotional shit too

It's me

I'm the problem

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    I am starting to hate amiibos, and they're making me not want to buy Nintendo's games. They seem to be locking more and more gear and items behind them, and then refuse to either make the items available in other ways or even make enough amiibos to go around. Zelda is a complete clusterfuck. A lot of those items sound cool, but guess I don't ever get to play with them. At least lootboxes can't all get bought up by scalpers.

The amiibo stuff in Zelda or, quite frankly, any game other than Smash Bros is incredibly pointless and so ancillary to the games they're in that there's zero point in worrying about not having it. If you're not interested in neat cheap Nintendo figurines you can safely skip Amiibo and basically miss nothing.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The worst part of amiibo is arguably that Nintendo hasn't done anything with them that actually makes them feel worthwhile.

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    The worst part of amiibo is arguably that Nintendo hasn't done anything with them that actually makes them feel worthwhile.

It's an impossible situation because of the potentially limited availability and sheer number of them. If they do anything substantial then complaints about them being overpriced physical DLC start to have merit and you run into the fucked up situation of actually having to drop hundreds of dollars on a single game which I'm not really okay with. They really can't be anything substantial and I think they're doing the best possible thing with them being kind of neat side content. Or at least they were back when all they had was the Smash line and the same amiibo worked with multiple games. The more unique figures they make, exclusive to one game, no less, the less valuable that feels. They're always going to be figures first and game features second because that's the less fucked-up option, from a marketing perspective, but it does feel like they're starting to saturate their own market.

(That said I'm buying the shit out of the new Metroid figures when I have the chance.)

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Looking for a podcast app recommendation: looking for an app that has an iphone and mac desktop app that sync podcast progress between them but isn't iTunes. Anyone use something like that?

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    godmode wrote: »
    Looking for a podcast app recommendation: looking for an app that has an iphone and mac desktop app that sync podcast progress between them but isn't iTunes. Anyone use something like that?

Pocket Casts?

You have to pay a few bucks for each version however.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    Pocketcasts is 100% worth the money. The progress syncing is nigh-seamless

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Pocket Casts doesn't have a Mac app.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    Pocket Casts doesn't have a Mac app.

They have a web version.

• Options
    Yeah web app for desktop/laptop, app for mobile

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Downcast seems to have both but I don't use Mac so I can't vouch for syncing.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    @The Betgirl "His wife is The Knowledge!!! She should know!!!" killed me. With my dying breath I make this post. Goodbye.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    I NEED MAYO!

• Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    Quick kingdom hearts question: did sora's parents just die?????

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Coheed and Cambria is a bad band
    I can't stop listening to Everything Evil please help

• Options
    StationaryStationary Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Shabooty wrote: »

It's a Disney property the parents were always doomed

Stationary on
  • Options
    Coheed and Cambria is a bad band
    I can't stop listening to Everything Evil please help

Objectively a 5/10

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular

As far as I can tell, parents do not exist in KH.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Stilts wrote: »

As far as I can tell, parents do not exist in KH.

Riku explicitly refers to them all having parents in kh1

The glimpse of sora we get in the ending of bbs has sora directly referencing his dad

This discussion has been closed.