As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Western Animation] RIP Peter Sallis

• ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Yep, Launchpad is perfect.

Wonder if Ms. Beakley will be a silent but imposing presence in the show?

She has a VA (Toks Olagundoye). Could certainly be a taciturn Lurch-ish archetype though.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I hope we see Launchpads family in this. They teased the Flying McQuacks a few times but never showed them.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Yep, Launchpad is perfect.

Wonder if Ms. Beakley will be a silent but imposing presence in the show?

She has a VA (Toks Olagundoye). Could certainly be a taciturn Lurch-ish archetype though.

The comedy in the clip was that this Mrs. Beakley doesn't take shit from anyone.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I'm hoping that they'll have a story beat/explanation as to why Scrooge keeps Launchpad on despite his incompetence.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Its cheaper.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    I'm hoping that they'll have a story beat/explanation as to why Scrooge keeps Launchpad on despite his incompetence.

Launchpad is cheap and will fly places other pilots wont. Though he was fired once in the original series for an episode

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Well at some point he has to start working for Darkwing Duck.

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Who is webby's VA?
    She's pulling some major Mabel vibes, but she definitely doesnt sound like kristen schaal

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Who is webby's VA?
    She's pulling some major Mabel vibes, but she definitely doesnt sound like kristen schaal

Kate Micucci. You've probably seen her somewhere before. She's fun.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Who is webby's VA?

It's Kate Micucci.
    Kate_Micucci.jpeg

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Oh ok. Sadie from SU is the most prominent one for me. Ok cool. Thanks

a4irovn5uqjp.png

The canon explanation is that Launchpad works for (essentially) free.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular

The canon explanation is that Launchpad works for (essentially) free.

I know the original Ducktales wouldn't have spent time on this question, but modern Disney tv cartoons would and do.

Even if Launchpad works for free that can't be worth the sheer amount of money it takes replacing planes/fixing the damage he causes. So there must be some other reason why Scrooge keeps him on and I'm sure it's because Scrooge considers Launchpad family, and seeing how that came about would be nice if they do it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular

Launchpad is actually a great flyer. He pulls off stunts and flies to locations and in conditions that most other pilots wouldn't dare, and he's willing to get behind the wheel of anything. He once jumped on the back of a giant condor and flew/crashed it to the top of a mountain to save Scrooge and the boys, with no training.

It's only the landing part that he sucks at, and really, landing is like 5% of your time and skill as a pilot. If someone was great at 95% of their job and sucked at only 5%, wouldn't you keep them?

To add to it, launchpad and passengers have walked away from every crash, so he has that going for him

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    zekebeau wrote: »

Launchpad is actually a great flyer. He pulls off stunts and flies to locations and in conditions that most other pilots wouldn't dare, and he's willing to get behind the wheel of anything. He once jumped on the back of a giant condor and flew/crashed it to the top of a mountain to save Scrooge and the boys, with no training.

It's only the landing part that he sucks at, and really, landing is like 5% of your time and skill as a pilot. If someone was great at 95% of their job and sucked at only 5%, wouldn't you keep them?

He's bad at a lot more than just landing. His entire schtick is that he's a galoot.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I love Launchpad and his whole schtick, but yeah that's a schtick that falls apart the second you try to put any amount of reasonable logical thought into it. So my suggestion is to not even try. :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I mean, if we start from the premise that Scrooge always makes the move that makes the (morally justifiable) decision that results in the largest net profit, we can only assume that the numbers work out in favor of Launchpad. Likely, as others have stated, that he enables those bizarre-ass $600-billion acquisitions, even subtracting the lifetime losses from property damage.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    May as well ask why Scrooge keeps so much of his fortune in a bin, instead of, say, an interest bearing account or stocks or wherever.

Instead, just repeat to yourself "It's just a show,
    I should really just relax
    For Mystery Science Theater 3000 Ducktales 2017.

what if... he's actually a decent pilot, but he only crashes when the audience is watching?

./mindsplosion

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    what if... he's actually a decent pilot, but he only crashes when the audience is watching?

./mindsplosion

That reminds me. There was a Ducktales game for ancient computers that was basically just a collection of (poorly programmed) minigames. The flying one, it only counted as a successful landing if you touched the garage at the end of the runway. Didn't matter if you divebombed it from straight above, came in 45 degrees, clipped a wheel against the roof. Crashing on the runway didn't count. Also, if you hit the edge of the screen, it'd flip you upside down and throw you in the opposite direction.

Ah, ancient cash-in games.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular

./mindsplosion

That reminds me. There was a Ducktales game for ancient computers that was basically just a collection of (poorly programmed) minigames. The flying one, it only counted as a successful landing if you touched the garage at the end of the runway. Didn't matter if you divebombed it from straight above, came in 45 degrees, clipped a wheel against the roof. Crashing on the runway didn't count. Also, if you hit the edge of the screen, it'd flip you upside down and throw you in the opposite direction.

So it captured the Launchpad flying experience perfectly then.

H9f4bVe.png
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    I like how the look of the new intro trailer is so comics-y. Have they talked about bringing old comics characters or elements in?

desc on
    desc wrote: »
    I like how the look of the new intro trailer is so comics-y. Have they talked about bringing old comics characters or elements in?

Oh yeah. I like how the color palate is a bit muted and flattened out too, like something out of the 1940s.

Of course Donald's the biggest comic element, but given what they did to Flintheart Glomgold I'm sure they've got an eye toward the classic comics.
    In the comics, Flintheart's from South Africa. In the 80s series, he's from Scotland. In the new show, he's from South Africa, but he acts Scottish in yet another attempt to one-up Scrooge.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The opening with regards to art style is amazing. The ground is in the style of old dot matrix printing, until Scrooge dives in and boom, it's now reminiscent of the money vault of coins.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=WbER4ZqmEZ0

Number 1 is the biggest travesty

Unless those WAC shorts lost just weren't very good

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=WbER4ZqmEZ0

Number 1 is the biggest travesty

Unless those WAC shorts lost just weren't very good

Some of them weren't. I have vague memories of a CGI abomination. I'm sure plenty of them were utterly forgettable.

The memorable ones seem to have been salvaged on Youtube.

Damn that theme song takes me back though. Watching 90's CN was something else, a feast for the animation connoisseur. A pity i was so young at the time that i can't remember so much of it (but then, if i had been older, i wouldn't have watched as much).

• WinklebottomWinklebottom Registered User regular
    Yeah, that What A Cartoon Intro brings me back to staying up late on Friday nights.

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Also I'd be fine with Andrew WK coming back to CN as long as he had a show that'd exploit his talents better.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    Oh my. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm Finally, Officially Coming to Blu-ray
    Batman: Mask of the Phantasm is officially coming to Blu-ray next month.

Warner Bros. announced on Facebook that the beloved 1993 animated Batman film will finally be getting a 1080p HD remaster for the first time in July.

Don't stop there! We need the original version of Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker.

I remember when that first came out edited. I snagged an unedited version at either Dragon Con or Anime Weekend Atlanta. The DVD release is unedited, and I think the version on itunes is unedited as well.

On Blu-ray, I mean. Though it's good that WB is pretty much acknowleding the original version is the only one that should exist.

Love the Ducktales reboot opening theme. Especially enjoy the extended version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=greRWnaQWc4

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Who is webby's VA?

Grappling Hook!

Marvel's Spider-Man origin short

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChDGYRBR8GI

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Found out Valerian is derived from a comic from the sixties. It also has a western animation with the budget of a box of crayons and ends up being Ranma in Space. V & L are surrounded by aliens that want to marry them about every other episode. The VA for Valerian spends so much wind on his fake accent that he has nothing left for any range of emotion other than "British Douche"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOL3hS3hSOY

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    That looks simultaneously awful and awesome.

This discussion has been closed.