As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Xenoblade Chronicles] Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition coming to Switch in 2020

Maz-Maz- 飛べRegistered User regular
edited September 2019 in Games and Technology
lQ1trvL.jpg

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is the next title in the Xenoblade franchise. It will be released at the end of 2017 (likely November) exclusively on Nintendo Switch.

A young man named Rex lives among an endless ocean of clouds, where the last remnants of civilization live on the backs of colossal beasts called Titans. He finds Pyra, a mysterious Blade who grants him tremendous power, and together they go searching for Pyra’s long lost home Elysium, the ultimate paradise for all of humanity.

Check out the trailers that have been released so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xjpao-nD5YU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJuiTw6nk7A

Here's an extended look at some gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfGk6VMcJsw

The game will definitely feel familiar to those who played Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles X. There's a heavy focus on exploration, many familiar enemies return and the combat is also reminiscent of the two previous games, though with a twist. Your party is kind of divided into two types of characters - Drivers and Blades. Blades are living weapons, in a way, and Drivers can draw out their full potential and use them in battle. Each of your Drivers can equip a multitude of Blades, which changes what kinds of abilities are available to them in battle.

The game is out now. Having trouble with the combat or understanding some of the upgrade systems? RPG Site has some good guides for the game:

Battle System Guide: Combat strategy tips and tricks

Classes Guide: All the roles and jobs available to party members

Rare Blades Guide: All rare blades and where to get them (slight spoiler warning)

Booster Guide: all about Bravery, Truth, Compassion and Justice Boosters

Tiger Tiger Guide: how to play and upgrade Poppi

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
Maz- on

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I need to get back to XCX. I was having a lot of fun before the lion men stonewalled me. What's a good way to grind EXP and money in that game? I need more levels and better Skells.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    I need to get back to XCX. I was having a lot of fun before the lion men stonewalled me. What's a good way to grind EXP and money in that game? I need more levels and better Skells.

Beat up the strongest named enemy you can handle, exit skell, use return to reload and repeat.

Joker is really good because its squishy and has lots of adds, so skells can mop the floor with it.

And its level 90-something

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Also, XCX's music was amazing, I don't know what people are talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUl3kUhc73c

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Personal favorite of mine.

https://youtu.be/EmUeqMnWmDY

edit- To make this post more substantial here is a bit of history on XCX.

Originally the city was Neo Tokyo, but on a trip to LA Tetsuya Takahashi saw how crazy diverse the city was and came to the conclusion that having a story about rebuilding humanity would be better in a less homogenized environment.

The game was originally single player only. I don't quite remember why they decided to add the multi, but that and the city change caused them to scrap a lot of what they had done. They said they had about 50% of the game completed when they made the call. Their deadline remand the same though.

Dough, Irina, Lao, Gwin, Elma and Lin along with the PC were to be the main characters. They were all meant to play a solid role in the story and to some extent parts of that is still present. Most notable change though was that Elma and Lin ended up as your permanent party members for story missions. This wasn't the original intent. They wanted you to bring whoever (story permitting) and have them take part in the dialogue and story.

The forth party member slot came with the multi-player addition and was kind of meant for you to bring along another player's character. Though you could just bring another NPC character too if you wanted. Hence why they never talk, cause they weren't really meant to.

So all in all a lot was cut, changed, and shuffled around on a pretty short time schedule as far as game development works.

Still one of my most favorite games though.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I can't wait to put in over 200 hours on this game. Really wish they'd put out a demo on the eShop.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Story in 2 is supposed to be lighter and happier than past games.

They wanted to take a break from the harsher stuff and do a "boy meets girl" sorta thing.

Which man I love a love story but a love story with a stupid looking 13 year old is.. less appealing.

He says knowing he is going to play the heck out of the game just being slightly grumpy when he thinks about what it could've been.

• MaytagMaytag Registered User regular

They wanted to take a break from the harsher stuff and do a "boy meets girl" sorta thing.

Which man I love a love story but a love story with a stupid looking 13 year old is.. less appealing.

He says knowing he is going to play the heck out of the game just being slightly grumpy when he thinks about what it could've been.

Ugh, all I liked about the story was the dark stuff and Shulk brooding about his revenge.

Got quite far in XCX before dropping it. I liked the story, the music and the environments, but the combat just never clicked like XC1 did and I really dislike Skells and what they do to combat (Mash buttons).

3DS: 1392 - 5070 - 7853
  • WaveformWaveform Registered User regular
    The story can be light or dark, that's not the important part to me.

When I sit down for a Xeno game what I'm really looking for is the slow transformation from "We're on an adventure!" to "brain melting world ending Gnostic insanity."

Also I liked the music in XCX way more than I thought I would. Somehow this is one of my favorite tracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOeb7StJlRc

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Maytag wrote: »

Ugh, all I liked about the story was the dark stuff and Shulk brooding about his revenge.

Got quite far in XCX before dropping it. I liked the story, the music and the environments, but the combat just never clicked like XC1 did and I really dislike Skells and what they do to combat (Mash buttons).

I actually like that Shulk retains his critical thinking in the midst of his quest for vengance.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Waveform wrote: »

When I sit down for a Xeno game what I'm really looking for is the slow transformation from "We're on an adventure!" to "brain melting world ending Gnostic insanity."

Also I liked the music in XCX way more than I thought I would. Somehow this is one of my favorite tracks:

World ending isn't exactly light! I think that's the stuff they are saying they are stepping back from as... well yea that's kinda the opposite of light and feel-good.

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

I actually like that Shulk retains his critical thinking in the midst of his quest for vengance.

One of the overriding themes of Xeno games is that enemies can put aside their differences and come to some sort of an understanding. Even after atrocious things have been done.

Fei and Krelian (and Elly, and, to a certain extent, Grahf)
    Jr. and Albedo
    Shulk and the Mechons

The Xeno series is pretty heavy on Gnosticism and philosophy and whatnot, sometimes successfully, sometimes not, but it's also a fundamentally hopeful series. That, even after everything, the desire for peace outweighs hate, and that we can overcome our prejudices and tribal instincts and forge forward together.

Shulk being willing to listen to the denizens of Mechonis and act accordingly in both a rational and compassionate manner is very much in line with everything else Takahashi has given us. And it's one of the big reasons why I'm a Xeno fan.

Waveform wrote: »

World ending isn't exactly light! I think that's the stuff they are saying they are stepping back from as... well yea that's kinda the opposite of light and feel-good.

Yeah, maybe scratch the world ending part and focus more on what Nightslyr said about enemies coming together in the end. I can dig that.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    All I know is my gut says maybe.

• DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    The protagonist's fluffy Megaman costume needs to go. There better be an option to change that.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • MaytagMaytag Registered User regular

I really would have liked it if
    Zanza as a final threat
    had not existed at all and if Seven had not existed.

I don't want to dive too deeply in the gameplay trailer myself yet, but what's up with the huge health bars? Seems like it takes forever to kill something.

3DS: 1392 - 5070 - 7853
    Dashui wrote: »
    The protagonist's fluffy Megaman costume needs to go. There better be an option to change that.

Yeah, I really hate the kettle looking thing that's on his back

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I dunno about you all, but when it comes to this game I'm really feelin' it.

YL9WnCY.png
  • HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    But we mustn't be careless!

I don't want to dive too deeply in the gameplay trailer myself yet, but what's up with the huge health bars? Seems like it takes forever to kill something.

It was clear the guy in control was slow-playing the combats to give himself time to explain things. And sometimes that wasn't even enough - he kept trying to set up a combo but the enemies would die before they were ready.

In practice, it looks like the pacing of combat will be similar to previous Xeno games. Normal enemies are dead by the time you finish using all your arts. Bigger enemies take multiple cycles, and will get finished off by a huge combo.

Biggest differences between Xeno 2 and the previous games were:

-You have to auto attack a few times before your arts are ready
    -Instead of using your 8 arts one after another, it's "Use 3 arts -> Switch blades -> Use 3 arts -> Switch blades -> Use 3 arts -> Combo time"

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Also, auto attacks are sort of like combos in that they consist of multiple hits, and they are only executed when you're standing still.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Gameplay-guy spent most of those long fights literally not doing anything other than talking, as auto-attacks are automatic. Once he fought the same enemy a second time and just walked over it.

That kid hasn't said much, yet. Seems fine.

PLA on
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Speaking of Xeno games, Jason Shreier had the opportunity to ask Tetsuya Takahashi what the deal was with Xenogears' disc 2 ending. A question that as far as anyone knows has never been directly answered since the game's release.

It turns out the game was being programmed by new staff so they were basically stuck with "on the job training", causing production delays. Square wouldn't budge on the deadline, so he had to either end it the way he did or end it at the conclusion of disc 1.

http://kotaku.com/the-real-story-behind-xenogears-unfinished-disc-2-1796151112
    “Honestly speaking, what had happened is Xenogears as a project was staffed pretty much entirely out of new staff members, young staff members,” said Takahashi, speaking through a translator. “Back then, we had the direction of, ‘All projects take two years and that’s when we need to get it done.’ So on top of developing the game, we had to nurture and teach and grow these younger employees. Things like 3D were extremely new, which led to some delays in the schedule. It just wasn’t possible to get everything done.”

As it became clear that Takahashi and team weren’t going to hit their deadlines, Square’s higher-ups suggested that they just end the game after the first disc, when
    Fei and his team escape from Solaris.

“It was a rough way to end it, and I felt like if we do that, then the players will not be satisfied,” Takahashi told me. “So we had a proposal—I proposed that if we do disc 2 in this way that it turned out to be, we can finish the game with the current number of staff and the current time allotted for the schedule and the remaining budget we have.”

So they turned disc 2 of Xenogears into the montage that shipped with today’s game. Instead of playing through events like the world’s mutation and the search for Fei, you just have to watch them. And it was Takahashi’s decision—so he could finish the story he wanted to tell rather than cutting it off after the first half.

“I do think my decision was the right one to make,” said Takahashi. “Because if we had just ended at Disc 1 it would have been bad.”

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular

Zanza as a final threat

Indeed, I find that JRPG cliche tiresome.
    I will say that for the "evil God" cliche, Xenoblade comes close to doing it right. Zanza is utterly despicable and earns his reputation. The problem is Maybeth, Shulk and Alvis reinforce the idea its because "gods are shit" rather than "Zanza is shit." Maybeth enjoyed a positive, loving relationship with her subjects while Zanza became an utter animal. This is never discussed, which disappointed me.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Zanza as a final threat

Disagree on that.
    Zanza is the driving force behind the Mechon invasion. Without that they become two-dimensional bad guys, and the plot loses a lot of its quality.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Speaking of Xeno games, Jason Shreier had the opportunity to ask Tetsuya Takahashi what the deal was with Xenogears' disc 2 ending. A question that as far as anyone knows has never been directly answered since the game's release.

It turns out the game was being programmed by new staff so they were basically stuck with "on the job training", causing production delays. Square wouldn't budge on the deadline, so he had to either end it the way he did or end it at the conclusion of disc 1.

http://kotaku.com/the-real-story-behind-xenogears-unfinished-disc-2-1796151112
    “Honestly speaking, what had happened is Xenogears as a project was staffed pretty much entirely out of new staff members, young staff members,” said Takahashi, speaking through a translator. “Back then, we had the direction of, ‘All projects take two years and that’s when we need to get it done.’ So on top of developing the game, we had to nurture and teach and grow these younger employees. Things like 3D were extremely new, which led to some delays in the schedule. It just wasn’t possible to get everything done.”

As it became clear that Takahashi and team weren’t going to hit their deadlines, Square’s higher-ups suggested that they just end the game after the first disc, when
    Fei and his team escape from Solaris.

“It was a rough way to end it, and I felt like if we do that, then the players will not be satisfied,” Takahashi told me. “So we had a proposal—I proposed that if we do disc 2 in this way that it turned out to be, we can finish the game with the current number of staff and the current time allotted for the schedule and the remaining budget we have.”

So they turned disc 2 of Xenogears into the montage that shipped with today’s game. Instead of playing through events like the world’s mutation and the search for Fei, you just have to watch them. And it was Takahashi’s decision—so he could finish the story he wanted to tell rather than cutting it off after the first half.

“I do think my decision was the right one to make,” said Takahashi. “Because if we had just ended at Disc 1 it would have been bad.”

They do seem to have eventually learned how to not overextend. You can see points in Xenoblade where they desperately wanted to blow all of their development time and budget dealing with giants, spiders, and Bionis cults, but managed to restrain themselves.

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »

From the end of that article:
    For Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Nintendo is aiming for a simultaneous worldwide launch. Whereas Xenoblade Chronicles X launched in Japan eight months before it came to the west, the next game in the series is slated to release in all three regions (Japan, Europe, North America) in the fall of 2017.

Did Kotaku screw up? I thought this was going to be a holiday release.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Holiday can also mean Thanksgiving, so it could be a late November release or early December.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Everyone knows Christmas starts at the end of October and lasts through New Years nowadays. /departmentstores

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Everyone knows Christmas starts at the end of October and lasts through New Years nowadays. /departmentstores

I personally prefer the name "Fourth Quarter Holiday Event."

Sometimes it starts early at the end of August or early September, too.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    edited July 2017
    Frem wrote: »

Did Kotaku screw up?

The answer to that question is always yes.

The game will be released in late November or early December.

Maz- on
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular

From the end of that article:
    For Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Nintendo is aiming for a simultaneous worldwide launch. Whereas Xenoblade Chronicles X launched in Japan eight months before it came to the west, the next game in the series is slated to release in all three regions (Japan, Europe, North America) in the fall of 2017.

Did Kotaku screw up? I thought this was going to be a holiday release.

A "holiday release" is usually going to be in the fall. Winter solstice is 12/21, and games rarely come out four days or less before Christmas.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen

Did Kotaku screw up?

The answer to that question is always yes.

The game will be released in late November or early December.

Which, according to the calendar, is fall.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I look forward to playing this game for a good 20 hours straight and never pick it up again; as is tradition with all Xeno games for me.

An interview Time did with Tetsuya Takahashi (some light spoilers about Xenoblade Chronicles 2's setting): http://time.com/4848935/xenoblade-chronicles-2-interview/
    Interesting that there's a bit of an environmentalism message to the setting's status quo.

sAnICKl.jpg

That's a fucking sweet special edition (that I was just able to pre-order. Yaaay!).

Oh, and a December 1st release date. Here's the segment from the recent Direct:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXGTJgXPhm0

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    what in the fuck is pyra wearing

seriously

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Maz where the hell did you find the CE pre-order?

EDIT: Never mind, Gamestop had it. Deal with the devil is a go.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    what in the fuck is pyra wearing

seriously

Clearly, someone thought people liked the Speed Frame.

Enlong on