As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

StarCraft: Rumors of Starcraft 3 where as real as a full night's sleep.

• MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Do turrets still last a ridiculous long time like 2 minutes?

Defense drone was also bs. Sooo tough for stalkers or mutas to do much. I think they got nerfed some after a while. The only way zerg could hope to survive was hoping for a godly fungal chain on a group of them.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    MMMig wrote: »
    Do turrets still last a ridiculous long time like 2 minutes?

Defense drone was also bs. Sooo tough for stalkers or mutas to do much. I think they got nerfed some after a while. The only way zerg could hope to survive was hoping for a godly fungal chain on a group of them.

no turrets were buffed hugely in DPS and reduced to like 10 seconds in LotV, but I think now they are less DPS but more like 20 seconds uptime.

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I'm starting to deflect cheeses yesssssssssssss I love that feeling. granted they weren't ... all that well done and I scouted em immediately with my scv but still. always a good feeling.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Variable wrote: »
    I'm starting to deflect cheeses yesssssssssssss I love that feeling. granted they weren't ... all that well done and I scouted em immediately with my scv but still. always a good feeling.

I, too, deflected some cheese

It was a 2-base sentry-adept all-in

But the build seemed pretty sloppy, and I saw the little army leave the base, and I think he forgot to even bring a probe...

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    It's weird - stop cannon rush and opponent then bails. Like, what? I stop a pylon and pop a probe and that's it?

edited June 2017
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/BXmXys6wuW
    Penny Arcade Curvy Star League 2017!

June 17th @ 8pm EST (the tournament is listed in my timezone, AWST)

Format, Round Robin, best of 3 unless we get like, fifty signups because then it will be too many games.

At start of each match take the entire ladder map pool. Opponents alternate map vetoes, coinflip determines first veto.

Aside from that the whole thing is super simple, we're doing round robin so that everybody gets to play the same number of games and receive the same amount of fun regardless of league or recent experience playing.

We'll use the Penny Arcade ingame chat channel to organise things.

@Variable @Yilias @3clipse @Kambing @MMMig @kedinik @WingedWeasel @SorC @Sceptre @tugga @theSquid @Keamien

and anyone else who you guys know is still around on the Internet even if they haven't played since Wings of Liberty, who cares, neither have the rest of us!

Oh snap this is coming up, Saturday!

I see 8 people signed up.

Lots of the "Original Gangsters" group!
    (AKA old-geezers by now)

ed: Now that I think about it, round robin BO3 with 8 players starting at 8 PM means it'll be a long night.
    It's BO1! Thanks for the correction. That means we'll be seenig the ULTIMATE of cheese.

So, in a totally innocent query about how my old pals are doing, and not an attempt at coming up with build and psychological counters to my opponents, what race will y'all be playing? (note anyone playing random gets a big boooooooooo)

@Dhalphir Toss?
    @PantsB Brotoss?
    @Vari Terran?
    @kedinik Zerg master race?
    @SorC Australian brotoss? (they have a funny accent)
    @Gabriel_Pitt I think your bnet name is different?
    @Yilias Terran op?

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Turns out I will be out of town this weekend but hopefully someone streams it so I can at least observe

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    It's round robin Bo1, not Bo3.

• YiliasYilias Registered User regular

Format, Round Robin, best of 3 unless we get like, fifty signups because then it will be too many games.

At start of each match take the entire ladder map pool. Opponents alternate map vetoes, coinflip determines first veto.

Aside from that the whole thing is super simple, we're doing round robin so that everybody gets to play the same number of games and receive the same amount of fun regardless of league or recent experience playing.

@Variable @Yilias @3clipse @Kambing @MMMig @kedinik @WingedWeasel @SorC @Sceptre @tugga @theSquid @Keamien

and anyone else who you guys know is still around on the Internet even if they haven't played since Wings of Liberty, who cares, neither have the rest of us!

(AKA old-geezers by now)

ed: Now that I think about it, round robin BO3 with 8 players starting at 8 PM means it'll be a long night.
    It's BO1! Thanks for the correction. That means we'll be seenig the ULTIMATE of cheese.

So, in a totally innocent query about how my old pals are doing, and not an attempt at coming up with build and psychological counters to my opponents, what race will y'all be playing? (note anyone playing random gets a big boooooooooo)

@Dhalphir Toss?
    @PantsB Brotoss?
    @Vari Terran?
    @Yilias Terran op?

I might try Protoss. I didn't play any multiplayer for LotV, just the campaign.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
    I will be showcasing an aggressive MMMM playstyle lots of drones

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Triple Nexus before probe for me

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Noobs
    PantsB wrote: »
    Triple Nexus before probe for me

I have an unbeatable build order! Depot, 'rracks, 'rracks, command center, SCV.

Real pros know you don't REALLY need more than 12.

I have defeated another cheesy protoss on the ladder

Surely that is enough training for me

Following up on my comment about 'real pros' I just played my 5 ranking matches to get my intial ranking... Platnium 3 bitches~!

>.>
    <.<

Despite getting my ass KICKED in all three games. 2 of them were over in less than ten minutes, the third went 18, after I fought off a nasty attack on my base, and sent all my units and reinforcements to attack him - not realizing that he had twice my army supply, had only spent half of it on the attack, and rebuilt it up to full by the time my tattered forces made it there. :lol:

'but wait,' you say, 'you're supposed to play 5 games, aren't you?'

Yup. Two of my opponents quit as soon as the match started, which is why I'm now PLATINUM.

Which is funny, because I was looking at the animation and going 'wow, silver sure is shiny these days! At least I'm not bronze! Wait... WHAT?!!?'
    Yilias wrote: »

(AKA old-geezers by now)

@Dhalphir Toss?
    @PantsB Brotoss?
    @Vari Terran?
    @Yilias Terran op?

I might try Protoss. I didn't play any multiplayer for LotV, just the campaign.

My battle tag is NullCypher#1974 if that helps. Or GabrielPitt, no space for my name.

Haha that's hilarious.

So do you just never ladder again at this point?

I've never gotten over ladder anxiety (in this or any game, heck I'm even afraid of taking an IQ test) so that's prob what I'd do. -_-'

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • SorCSorC Registered User regular
    edited June 2017

(AKA old-geezers by now)

@Dhalphir Toss?
    @PantsB Brotoss?
    @Vari Terran?
    @Yilias Terran op?

Yep, playing Protoss. Like that was even a question MMMig

Also, just reinstalled and played some vs AI games to make sure I still remembered how to press the keys, turns out I do :biggrin:

SorC on
    11776-1.png
    I have beaten a third cheesy protoss in a row

Time to hire a caterer for my CSL victory party

• SorCSorC Registered User regular
    Just did my placement matches, diamond 3, what ever that means ....

11776-1.png
    You're better than bronze, silver, gold, and platnium players, but not as good as masters. Then again, given the quality of platnium players who post in this thread...

SorC wrote: »

Apparently the leagues have been internally split into 3 tiers

Diamond 3 borders Platinum 1, I think

I'm sure I'm not even plat at this point so I'll get rolled. But that'd be the case anyway with this crew

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    I'm sure I'm not even plat at this point so I'll get rolled. But that'd be the case anyway with this crew

I think you're overestimating the rest of us at this point.

@PantsB

I installed today and am TECHNICALLY practicing

Heroes of the Storm has Starcraft characters, right?

l4lGvOw.png

wra
    Oh man, you want to be intimated? When I did the ranking battles against the AI, I had about 80 APM.

That tier 3 platnium I 'earned' due to the 2 drop outs? _35_ APM. :rotate: I was so nervous fighting against human opponents that I didn't know, I completely froze up on keeping my brain moving. And you can see it, watching the micro in the replays. Man, were those engagements awful. Although in the one game 'holy crap, massed siege tanks ate my bio ball! Just luck that I had some Liberators on the way, and ran them into the flank of the sieged up tanks.'

Too bad I still lost that one.

PantsB

I installed today and am TECHNICALLY practicing

Heroes of the Storm has Starcraft characters, right?

It has baneling busts and nydus worms! Everything you really need in life

SorC wrote: »

So ummmm, my cheese is old.

I tried to hatch-cancel evol chamber vs a toss.
    Cancelled the hatch 3 times before I gave up -_-'
    71n3kkz6tzyp.jpg

l4lGvOw.png

wra
    I feel oddly impatient considering if this thing was any earlier I wouldn't be able to play.

I can't tear myself away from Grim Dawn to 'practice' and it seems like some of you have started laddering so my default advantage is wasting away. well, one of them... I'm still Terran.

Vari I'll be surprised if you don't win

No pressure!

I feel like this CSL is already a success in that it has me laddering again

It turns out this is still a good game

I did my placements and got plat 2

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    I did my placements and got plat 2

How many of the five matches did you actually fight? :lol:

What does Plat 1 vs 2 vs 45 mean?

Goodness gracious do I have to fill up this WHOLE bar for a promotion match?

l4lGvOw.png

wra
    What does Plat 1 vs 2 vs 45 mean?

Goodness gracious do I have to fill up this WHOLE bar for a promotion match?

The leagues have each been split into 3 internal tiers

I think MMR descends from Tier 1

Ahem ahh...
    I just realized I've never used the SC2 chat features at all. How does this work? :lol:

The games go a looooot faster now.

I think it's awesome.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
    The games go a looooot faster now.

I think it's awesome.

The baneling busts go way faster, for sure

Ahem ahh...
    I just realized I've never used the SC2 chat features at all. How does this work? :lol:

@Gabriel_Pitt it's been too long since I joined a channel to talk you through it without being ingame, so I'll figure it out closer to the time.

Change of plans re communication method, I've just created a Discord for this thread

https://discord.gg/74jXhpA

We'll use this for tonight's festivities - @PantsB @MMMig @Variable @kedinik @SorC @Gabriel_Pitt @Yilias

Friendly FYI for anyone who starts really feeling the itch, gsl finals for this season are next week and the whole season is available to watch for free. I advise afreeca for best quality nd will happily drop a link if anyone wants.

Won't spoil the finalists but they should satisfy fans of any era

Variable wrote: »
    Friendly FYI for anyone who starts really feeling the itch, gsl finals for this season are next week and the whole season is available to watch for free. I advise afreeca for best quality nd will happily drop a link if anyone wants.

Won't spoil the finalists but they should satisfy fans of any era

Speaking of watching Starcraft, any idea when ASL S4 kicks off?