As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40K] 8th ed Incoming! New Profiles, new rules new stats quo.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Tau players complaining about dark eldar being too good is a hell of a thing to see.

There were always some niche Dark Eldar builds that were competitive, but their faction on the whole was really sub-par, as a result GW buffed them across the board so I'm not surprised if they end up being in a real good place.

There were some specific formations and models for Tau that were brutally overpowered, but a lot of the Tau models were just good, not amazing, but as a result GW has nerfed them across the board so I'm not surprised if they end up being a bit lack-luster. Now, it may just be a case of the old meta armies now being awful and people needing to adapt, or Tau needed tweaks down the road, time will tell. The main hit is to markerlights. It seems like a lot of stuff in Tau was points balanced around the idea that they could get to BS 3+ in the old edition, and their points cost stayed similar, but now it is much, much harder to get to BS 3+.

It's GW trying to balance a new edition. They are going to get it wrong, badly (I mean, look at the Leman Russ gun options). That's why I am happy they are switching to a plan they can iterate on more rapidly. Because they are going to get it wrong on the second pass too, and probably the third... but maybe, just maybe the fourth will be good.

Inquisitor on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Svenska wrote: »
    Can the primaris marines take "fallen" as their chapter, and gain the benefits of Cypher's ability?

Can't tell if joke from recent arguments or not, but no. Any time you write in a name or phrase of your choice, such as chapters, it interplays only with itself, not other stuff.

What is this I don't even.
  • SvenskaSvenska Registered User regular
    I won't lie, it was a serious question. Oh well, thanks.

Since your name means "swedish" in swedish, I just assumed you were, ya know, swedish.

eNozN1RVNTYwUDVRNVUzUjOsMVQzRCON1UyApAmYbQZRYwaRBlOqZSYA7ZUOyQ==
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I have my book and battle scribe updated. With my new Kharne I went and made a 2k army with stuff I know I own and that is on the way. Sadly no defiler in here. The Bezerkers are going with Kharne in the landraider to plow into the enemy asap. One of the csm squads will be in the rhino and the other will be the back line. Also the lord will be with the bezerkers. Lots of dakka and smashing in this. Plus two deep strike units to hit backlines or help with other deep strikers.

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Legion: World Eaters

+ HQ +

Chaos Lord: Combi-flamer, Khorne, Power fist

Daemon Prince with Wings: Hellforged sword, Khorne

Kharn the Betrayer

+ Troops +

Chaos Space Marines: 9x Chaos Space Marine, Khorne, 2x Plasma gun
    . Aspiring Champion: Combi-plasma, Power fist

Chaos Space Marines: 9x Chaos Space Marine, Khorne, 2x Plasma gun
    . Aspiring Champion: Combi-plasma, Power fist

Khorne Berzerkers: Icon of Wrath, 7x Khorne Berzerker, 7x Swap bolt pistol or chainsword for chainaxe
    . Berzerker Champion: Plasma pistol, Power sword

+ Elites +

Chaos Terminators: Khorne
    . Chaos Terminator: Power maul, Reaper autocannon
    . Chaos Terminator: Combi-plasma, Power maul
    . Chaos Terminator: Combi-flamer, Power fist
    . Chaos Terminator: Combi-bolter, Power axe
    . Terminator Champion: Chainfist, Combi-melta

Helbrute: Helbrute fist, Khorne, Missile launcher

+ Fast Attack +

Raptors: Khorne, 2x Meltagun, 4x Raptor
    . Raptor Champion: Bolt pistol, Lightning Claw (Pair)

+ Heavy Support +

Chaos Land Raider: Khorne, Twin heavy bolter, 2x Twin lascannon

+ Dedicated Transport +

Chaos Rhino: Combi-bolter, Khorne

++ Total: [104 PL, 2000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

u7stthr17eud.png
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    My store army for Tau won only once out of 12 or 14 games I played in 7th. In 8th I have won every game I've played against about 5 people so far. My army is very infantry focused and I find 90% of these games are won on deployment. Taking the best cover and really placing units well is huge.

Plus everything I regarded as useless/worthless in 7th is shining in 8th. Except Kroot.

Kroot are pointless.

I know
    I liked the Kroot when the T'au came out but as time went on I liked the power suits more
    When I came back I saw the T'au had tilted more in favor of the suits {did they ever} so I am kind of tempted to fill out the army I had of them but again like my Tyranid army I have no idea what I would paint them as

Also for shits and giggle did a full point set up of two Dark Imperium boxes for just the Smurfs.

1938 pts/102 pl. To get maximum command points I would say run a battalion with the two of your HQs. Then run a supreme command attachment as you have 4 Primaris Lieutenants you can break into completely different units and get a free command point with.

This army is mean too. Lots of re-rolls to wound and hit. Two deep striking 18 shot hb pistol squads. And the range for most everything that is a rifle if 30" and rapid fire if they get close.

Top it off that if 40 wounds of infantry as troops. Plus a ton of morale and such.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Is there a resource for old or custom transfer sheets? I wanted to make my primaris marines Crimson Fists but the sheet that came with the box is lacking for red hands

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Is there a resource for old or custom transfer sheets? I wanted to make my primaris marines Crimson Fists but the sheet that came with the box is lacking for red hands

There should be loads of different Space Marine decal sheets on ebay.

honovere on
    Thing I just learned because I am slow but in the combi line in my Chaos book-

"You can shoot with one or both weapons in this profile. If you shoot with both you are at a -1 to hit."

Combis are so good this edition.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • VikingViking Registered User regular
    so Kroot might remain kinda meh, but Vespid got a pretty hefty boost in usefulness.
    if the miniatures for them weren't so expensive I would consider replacing all my crisis suits with the flying bugs.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Plus everything I regarded as useless/worthless in 7th is shining in 8th. Except Kroot.

Kroot are pointless.

I don't play Tau but this still kinda makes me sad.

I like the idea of an army that is comprised of multiple races. I think that it would be nice if Tau players had limited access to specific IG models to represent Gue'vesa detachments (maybe with some sort of bonus given to imperial armies that fight against them due to how heretical they would be considered). They used to be able to sorta fake it with the old allies matrix, but now it doesn't really seem to be an option.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Anybody with the appropriate Imperium dex that has IG? I want to know if they regained rules for the Griffon.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    Anybody with the appropriate Imperium dex that has IG? I want to know if they regained rules for the Griffon.

I don't see any in the leaked version.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    The Griffon has basically become the Wyvern... And the Wyvern is very, very good

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    This wasn't how I interpreted this, but it seems to be the case. Taken from reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Warhammer40k/comments/6hyo1m/how_rerolls_work_in_8th_edition_warhammer_40k/

Sequence of Events
    1) Standard rolls.
    2) Distinguish failed from passed.
    3) Re-rolls
    4) Apply Modifiers
    5) Check Statements
    Scenario
    A Space Marine (BS3+) is firing at a XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuit.
    The Space Marine is using a plasma gun.
    The Space Marine is benefiting from a re-roll all failed to hit rolls.
    The Space Marine uses the supercharge profile of his plasma gun.
    The Ghostkeel is more than 12" away from the Space Marine, thus the Space Marine has -1 to hit rolls.
    The Ghostkeel is also within 3" of a stealth drone, giving the Space Marine another -1 to hit rolls (Total of -2 to hit rolls)
    Scenario - Sequence of Events
    1) Standard rolls: As the Space Marine pulls the trigger, for the sake of this example, lets say he has 6 shots and every possibility from the to hit roll is rolled (1,2,3,4,5,6).
    2) Distinguish failed from passed: Being BS3+, the Space Marine theoretically misses (1,2).
    3) Re-rolls: The (1,2) dice are re-rolled, the result being are (4,5). Having (3,4,4,5,5,6) as the new result.
    4) Apply Modifiers: From (3,4,4,5,5,6) the modified result is (1,2,2,3,3,4) due to -2 to hit rolls.
    5) Check Statements: The Space Marine managed to land 3 shots (3,3,4) however the (1) which was previously a (3) did not get re-rolled since he did pass the test, but after the modifiers turned into a lethal (1). Due to the supercharge rule, the model is slain.

What is this I don't even.
  • NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's been posted here a couple of times now :)

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    The reasonable takeaway seems to me to be 'the +1 strength and damage for supercharging plasma can be risky.' So don't supercharge it unless you're willing to risk the shooter.

*edit*
    Although what's really blowing my mind is that the index in the main rule book is a little less than _one_ page.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular

Griffon's coming in the FW index (along with all the other ditched SPGs)

website_header.jpg
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    So I bought the digital editions form y PC, what the hell is a good epub reader? The only one that seems to work decently is Readium, and that won't let me look at 2 pages simultaneously.

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Readium's been the only one that works for me, unfortunately.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    Can you get it to display both pages?

• ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    This interests me as well. I've been using Calibre, but it won't let me zoom in the pages to get the text readable on my display.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    So after some consideration, most of the primaris stuff seems like it's actually bad? The options are so restrictive that I don't see why you would pay the points premium over normal marines. The only ones who seem worth it are the hellblasters and the floaty guys, and even then your only really going to ever want one unit. The banner is maybe ok?

Making sure that I didn't miss anything: There is nothing ever stopping you from using psychic powers, right? You can still advance, be in close combat, or fall back and still get to act in the psychic phase?

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    So after some consideration, most of the primaris stuff seems like it's actually bad? The options are so restrictive that I don't see why you would pay the points premium over normal marines. The only ones who seem worth it are the hellblasters and the floaty guys, and even then your only really going to ever want one unit. The banner is maybe ok?

I thought that was the point.

They're really good at the one narrow thing they've been tooled up for but they're simply not as flexible as a standard squad?

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    Norgoth wrote: »

I thought that was the point.

They're really good at the one narrow thing they've been tooled up for but they're simply not as flexible as a standard squad?

Yeah it kinda is the point, but after playing a few games the changes to shooting make it so that being flexible is incredibly strong. I'll use em cause they look cool, but I can't see ever fitting them into a tournament list.

I see Primaris as wound soakers and point holders. The range is nice and their weapons aren't terrible.

I do think the intercessor aka floaty guys are I think the best primaris unit. They do a ton of damage for their price verse a lot of backline targets.

I would say the lieutenants are also good. The ability to reroll wounds is pretty powerful.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Looking through the chaos book I noticed that
    Outside of the marked legions, black legion, and red corsairs, are there any traitor legion bonuses to be found?

Or are we just going by on "get you by" for now?
    Loyalist chapters got splats

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Each of the God legions got "Cult marines become Troops" but thats basically it for now.
    Noise Marines with sonic blasters are really nice now and thats a big part of what I wanted from Chaos so i can live with no fancy artifacts for now.

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Codex chapters don't have chapter tactics so, yeah, this is just a stopgap until the real codices drop.

It's making it obnoxious trying to pick a chapter for my primaris marines.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    Take the chapter that you like the background and looks of?

• ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    But then he'd have to repaint them if their chapter tactics sucked.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    It's more complicated than that. I'm afraid the chapter tactics will suck and/or not be fluff-appropriate. For example Raven Guard not getting to be sneaky.

I've been doing this (mostly with Space Marines) for 26 years now. Shit needs to really sing to me to get me interested.

• KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    The only correct answer is to do all of them.

Edit: Or knit them all tiny sweaters in various chapter colors.

Koreg on
    If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Paint them as White Scars so it's easy to repaint them later?

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    okay i have digested the rules and indexes and think my all assault blood angels army could work

I'm an adult. I prime my models black.

The only real answer here is to make the Fly chapter. And give them all purple satin vests, snappy berets, neon parachute pants, and bolters that look like super-soakers.

I am going to do some different priming this round. My chaos army was 100% primed black and was painted a color that GW no longer produces and hasn't produced for like 9 years. Dear god it is old.

My orks were mostly black but I have a bunch of unprimed I am going to do maybe white to try something with them. I think I will prime Kharne white so I can do a ton of detail work on him.

Still want the new box set for the smurfs. But maybe I should finish my ork army first?

u7stthr17eud.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Reading the Dark Imperium novel it seems like 8th edition is a time junp forward? Like, a guardsman's great grandfather tells him about a time before The Great Rift happened and the Indomnitus Crusade has been going on for 112 years.

Inquisitor wrote: »
    Reading the Dark Imperium novel it seems like 8th edition is a time junp forward? Like, a guardsman's great grandfather tells him about a time before The Great Rift happened and the Indomnitus Crusade has been going on for 112 years.

Yeah my understanding is the Death Guard stuff and such is 100+ years after Gathering Storm.

u7stthr17eud.png
This discussion has been closed.