As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Digital Comics] Funny Books On Your Phones and Tablets! Check OP For Retailers

1656667686971»

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Fraction's Hawkeye would be another good choice.

• AnarCHrisAnarCHris Trash Lord New York CityRegistered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I got Marvel unlimited for Christmas, and I've got it up and running. If I love street-level heroes like Daredevil and haven't really been dialed in since probably '07, what would be a good place to start?

The Immortal Iron Fist, which spun out of Brubaker's DD run around the time of Civil War.
    Hawkeye by Matt Fraction, David Aja, and Annie Wu, arguably one of the best comics in the last 5 years.
    Daredevil by Mark Waid and ton of great artists.
    The Superior Foes of Spider-Man, a criminally underrated and hilarious series.

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Thanks for the advice, folks.

I actually own the entire Bendis/Maleev run on Daredevil, and I've read Immortal Iron Fist up through the first two trades.

Hawkeye is awesome, though. I haven't checked out spiderman yet. I just finished reading through the new Captain Marvel, which I also loved.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Apparently comixology is discontinuing their windows app. Which is unfortunate because I really love my surface pro. I'd read stuff on my phone but it gives me a headache way more than elsewhere and since offline isn't an option for my tablet I am looking at an Amazon fire. Anyone use that currently for the purposes of comics?

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Apparently comixology is discontinuing their windows app. Which is unfortunate because I really love my surface pro. I'd read stuff on my phone but it gives me a headache way more than elsewhere and since offline isn't an option for my tablet I am looking at an Amazon fire. Anyone use that currently for the purposes of comics?

I bought a Dell Venue Pro 8 last summer thinking it would be a great comic reader and realized the same thing. I'm in the same boat - I need offline reading abilities too. I ended up picking up a cheap 10" Android tablet at Walmart of all places solely for comic reading. It's pretty slow for games/web - but perfect for comics and the battery is pretty decent.

Which Fire are you looking at? All the reviews I read said they were all pretty great except the 10" one, it got some pretty lackluster writeups (cheaper build/screen than others in the line).

Lindsay Lohan on
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Umm can't you just read them in a web browser? I don't think there is any need for a Comixology app in Windows when the browser version is fully functional?

Edit: Oh offline mode is what is missing. Yeah that could be an issue.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX

I bought a Dell Venue Pro 8 last summer thinking it would be a great comic reader and realized the same thing. I'm in the same boat - I need offline reading abilities too. I ended up picking up a cheap 10" Android tablet at Walmart of all places solely for comic reading. It's pretty slow for games/web - but perfect for comics and the battery is pretty decent.

Which Fire are you looking at? All the reviews I read said they were all pretty great except the 10" one, it got some pretty lackluster writeups (cheaper build/screen than others in the line).

i was thinking the $50 one since it would pretty much just be for comics. as long as the thing doesn't disintegrate in my hands i don't think the physical build will both me all that much.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

i was thinking the $50 one since it would pretty much just be for comics. as long as the thing doesn't disintegrate in my hands i don't think the physical build will both me all that much.

I'm using the 8" one (HD 8) and love it for reading Comixology. It has similar internals as the cheap 7" $50 one so you should be fine. My father and in-laws use the 7" one and it is fine. I personally went with the 8" one because reading on my smaller HP Stream 7 hurt my eyes after a while.

Amazon really ticked me off when they killed the store on the Windows app, and now hearing that they are completely killing it makes me sad.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

I'm using the 8" one (HD 8) and love it for reading Comixology. It has similar internals as the cheap 7" $50 one so you should be fine. My father and in-laws use the 7" one and it is fine. I personally went with the 8" one because reading on my smaller HP Stream 7 hurt my eyes after a while.

Amazon really ticked me off when they killed the store on the Windows app, and now hearing that they are completely killing it makes me sad.

They also killed actually buying comics from the iOS app a while back. You have to buy through the website, which killed most of my impulse purchases/looking up daily sales and turned me into a 1/week buyer.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

They also killed actually buying comics from the iOS app a while back. You have to buy through the website, which killed most of my impulse purchases/looking up daily sales and turned me into a 1/week buyer.

That stinks... I do love how Amazon tells people (when they first nuked the buy option) that it is still "easy" to buy comics from the website. I just now realized why my Win 8 screen looked funny. They removed it completely from my machine and my apps list. At least I know why now so a big thanks for @WingedWeasel for the head's up.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    I didn't know they axed the iOS purchasing. That seems strange. Still works on my droid phone, but that makes logical sense since their tablets are Android. Ended up picking up the fire and so far so good.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I just got an iPad and was excited about cheap comic purchases and subscriptions so all of these changes to payment methods sucks!

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    They only axed the purchasing from inside the app for the main (comixology) app, the individual publisher apps still can do individual purchasing and they all use your comixology login

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Or you just use your phone/tablet browser to go to the Comixology website and buy stuff that way.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Or you just use your phone/tablet browser to go to the Comixology website and buy stuff that way.
    I have to do that sometimes anyways. This weekend I decided to buy The Wicked + the Divine and I could not get the bundled individual issues to appear in the Android app anywhere. I could see it on the website, full version only, so I had to buy them there instead. That has happened a lot for me in the app, it's not easy to get to the "Sales" page to show all sales, and bundles are nearly impossible to find.

edited May 2016
    New Unlimited service on Comixology. $5.99 a month gets you access to most of the non-Marvel/DC library.

EDIT: Let me rephrase that. You get access to a sample of most of the non Marvel/DC library.

For Image, it's pretty much just the first story arc. For other publishers, it's random. For example, IDW offers nothing from TMNT and only 1 of the 2 Transformers monthlies.

Doctor Detroit on
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Oh. I didn't realize that Unlimited was so limited...

I was really considering getting on board if it meant I could read through whole series. If it's just the first arc and/or a very limited title selection, I'm not sure I care so much. I guess I can still do the free 30-day trial to check it out.

New Humble Bundle with almost all of IDWs Ghostbusters.

Any opinions?

• lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Oh. I didn't realize that Unlimited was so limited...

I was really considering getting on board if it meant I could read through whole series. If it's just the first arc and/or a very limited title selection, I'm not sure I care so much. I guess I can still do the free 30-day trial to check it out.

That's really disappointing. I was going to let my Marvel lapse for this to change things up.

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Necroing this thread to ask:

Anyone have any recommendations for which Black Panther runs are the best? Comixology has a sale on Black Pather collections and I was thinking about picking some of them up.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX