As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NSFW] Sublimus' Sketch Dumps

• Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    @Iruka Thanks! I'll try again I think. I already tried one more time, but I'm not sure the results were any better.

@Prospicience Thanks for the input! I tried again before I read this and moved one light behind like you said! I lost that other rim light though....I think I'm going to try a third time. Unfortunately, that's as bright as the lights go. (Shitty LED strips from Ikea I had laying around)... I think I want to invest in some real lights, now that I better understand why you need them.

Anyhow! Here are some recent character sketches, and some sketches for an album cover for a friend.

doodle_035.png

doodle_036.png

doodle_037.png

doodle_038.png

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Started a study. Pretty pleased with how it came out.

doodle_040.png

[edit] Oh! And this thing from lunch today too.

doodle_038b.png

Sublimus on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I like those little square compositions! Its nice to see you putting together thumbnails, its a step towards learning how to put out more finished looking stuff.

The study is also nice, I like the broad strokes in the shoulder. I'd try not to get bogged down in the face area and let the planes be strokes as well, where you can. asaro head images can help you find those planes.

• Options
    @Iruka Thanks! Yeah making more finished work is the goal, and making little compositions is a huge help!

FInally started painting this after those thumbnails

Lava_Castle_02.png

• Options
    Start of a study. Maybe the end of one too lol

doodle_042.png

• Options
    Attempt #2 on this. I think I need to simplify and work my way back up to something like this.

photo_017.jpg

• Options
    Went wandering downtown last night.

photo_018.jpg

photo_019.jpg

• Options
    Starting to paint on this....this is going to take fucking forever.

Lava_Castle_03.png

• Options
    MightyhogMightyhog Registered User regular
    The texture of the recent grayscale pieces are fun! Something applied after the fact, or built into the brush?

Also, where do you find reference for something like the recent costume study, Deviant Art?

• Options
    @Mightyhog

Thanks! It was just a noise filter after the fact. And for that particular study, I came across it while doing gestures on quickposes.com, so I just saved it off and did a study! Deviant art can be pretty good too though!

• Options
    Not really happy with this one, but HERE YOU GO.

doodle_043.png

• Options
    I actually like it quite a bit. It reads well, even with its rough strokes, and some of the longer, flowing strokes are starting to show some confidence.

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    I love the roughnesss of this; I do find the color is a little strange but that could be: your monitor, my monitor, any number of interfering elements?

• Options
    @Iruka Thanks! Yeah confidence is growing some. really working on my observational skills. :D
    @tapeslinger Thanks! Yeah the reference had some intertwine color to it that I'm not really sure I captured. That's why I'm not in love with I think. On to the next!

Went to the Renaissance Fair in town. Not great photos, but a great learning experience! Wish I could go back and try again, but next weekend is the last, and I have to go to Houston. :(

photo_020.jpg

photo_021.jpg

photo_022.jpg

photo_023.jpg

• Options
    Some bar doodles from last night

sb_001.JPG

sb_002.JPG

• Options
    Those photos would make for great painting studies, the light is decent and they have different textures.

• Options
    @Iruka Something about that feels weird haha. Studying my own photos... but you're right! I'll give it a go!

Here is a thing I'm working on. The drawing is still a little stiff (which has been a forever problem for me). But at least I can see it now! And I'm trying to wiggle a more interesting pose in there.

Rim light is temp, but I mostly like the color of it so far.

DarkFantasy_Merc2a.png

• Options
    X-Post from the photo thread, sorry!

photo_025.jpg

• Options
    One more. This one was out of focus, but I kind of liked it anyway. You can start to see the milky way rising in the bottom middle! (Still kind of mad I went out too early to catch the milky way.)

I'm super excited to try this again! I'll also be out at Big Bend next month, so with any luck, I should have some REALLY cool ones soon!

photo_026.jpg

• Options
    LegacyGameLegacyGame Registered User regular
    These are all really cool, how do you take night time photos without it going black?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    long exposure time I think?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Thanks @LegacyGame ! @BahamutZERO is exactly right! You use a tripod and keep the shutter open longer. The was the first one was about an 8 second exposure, and the second was closer to 14, I think!

• Options
    Was a lake house this weekend with some art people. Good time! My body hurts!

doodle_045.png

doodle_046.png

doodle_048.png

photo_027.jpg

photo_028.jpg

photo_029.jpg

• Options
    edited May 2017
    I really like the photos!

Also, doing studies from your own photos makes the MOST sense, in that you completely own them. If you get some good shots you should totally incorporate it into your studies. If you ever wanted to get into matte painting or kit-bashing, you can also do that guilt free.

The added motion to the last two orcs is also a nice break from your standard poses. keep pushing!

Iruka on
  • Options
    @Iruka Thanks! I'm trying to push my characters. Make them feel more alive, less stiff. Which has been an issue for me since forever! haha!

Here is an update on this guy.

Something about this is feeling glam-rock.... I'm okay with that I guess

doodle_048b.png

• Options
    Color splash on this guy.

doodle_048c.png

And went through my old Big Bend photos as I'm getting ready to go back! These two I kind of like, and never posted

photo_BB_01.jpg

photo_BB_02.jpg

• Options
    Been a while....

Some recent one hour studies. Trying to figure out what makes things looked "finished". Right now I'm seeing lots of blending helps, and making sure the big volumes/shapes read is big too. Learning color accuracy is pretty far down the list, as long as the values and drawing are working.

doodle_042.png

doodle_043.png

doodle_044.png

And some recent photos. First two are meh, third one is my first attempt at exposure blending with luminosity masks! (and otherwise meh lol)

photo_030.jpg

photo_033.jpg

photo_034.jpg

• Options
    All I have are more photos. I'm sorry. ....I need to draw and paint more.

Went to big Bend last weekend. Was feeling pretty down on the trip as I didn't really get the shots I wanted. But I also probably set my expectations impossibly high. Here are the first two worth showing.

photo_035.jpg

photo_036.jpg

• Options
    Dang, I really like the second one! I think the first one has a nice mood to it, but seems a little low in contrast for a night sky? Maybe I'm just so used to seeing that kind of stuff heavily edited that I dont know what it looks like.

• Options
    @Iruka Thanks! I almost got lost in the wilderness in the dark after taking that shot!

Hmmm. Maybe I'll mess with it some more. I didn't touch it much besides doing a noise reduction technique where you stack a few exposures.

• Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    Those city scapes are beautiful Sub. Love the sheraton one too, the colors turned out amazin'!

What lens and camera settings are you shooting your night photos with and how are you focusing? Seem a bit blurry for 8-14 second exposures (unless it was a windy night). Judging from your other photos I wouldn't guess it's an issue with the lens either though. The big bend one is gorgeous as well, agree with Iruka about contrast though.

• Options
    LampLamp Registered User regular
    I dig the loose brush strokes on the figure studies up there. Makes me want to dig up some looser brushes in Photoshop.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    @Prospicience Thank you man!! I really appreciate it! I wasn't sure about the sheraton one, was scared it might look too over-processed. It's hard to find that balance! As for focus, it could be a few things, depending on the shot. It's either my manual focus lens, and I'm terrible. Or it's the slow AF motto on my cheap-o telephoto, and me not actually holding the focus button long enough. Or smoother small things I've isolated. Either way the fix is to slow down and be more deliberate! [edit] I just realized you're probably talking about the astro shots! basically trying to manual focus at f1.4 in the dark is really hard. I think I'm going to try f2 next time to see if it's more forgiving!

@Lamp Thanks man!! I need to paint more, I'm falling down a photo hole! :P

Sublimus on
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Sorry to be so quiet lately. Here are a few things I've been messing with. Kind of trying to switch from quantity of work to quality of work. Thinking more holistically, and it's going pretty slow! (learning plenty along the way.)

1) Another landscape

photo_037.jpg

2) Some thumbnail practice. I want to keep refining these, but have to move on to other things.

doodle_050.png

3) An attempt at photo bashing. Super fun, lots to learn!

doodle_052.png

4) I think I've wrapped up my little personal logo/branding.

doodle_053.png

That's all for now, I hope to be able to update soon next time!!

Sublimus on
  • Options
    LegacyGameLegacyGame Registered User regular
    did some one say photobashing? check this out

• Options
    @LegacyGame Yeah man! Feng is a baller. Time to binge through some more of his videos!

One more bug bash from me. Just kind of exploring photo-bashing still. Not real "design" here....

doodle_054.png

• Options
    The photo bashes are interesting, they add an element of texture and material that's nice. I think if you can pull some of that into your painting sensibilities, you'll find more flexibility in how you render things.

• Options
    @Iruka Thanks! Yeah texture has always been a weak spot for me! I'll try to incorporate some the learnings (or just use photo). :D

• Options
    Bunch of unfinished stuff and sketches.

Another bug/alien photos bash. May or may not finish
    doodle_056.png

Environment photo bash. Very much in progress, if I even finish it.
    doodle_055.png

And some alien sketches in Alchemy and PS

doodle_057.png

doodle_059.png

oh!

And messing with 3D. Very basic for now. I intend to photo bash on top and make like a blade runner style environment.
    BR_01.JPG

• Options
    Hey dude, love the start of that city photobash, excited to see where that skillset starts to take you.

The aliens are pretty cool too. I'd be curious to see you do some creatures, you do mostly bipedal things.