As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board games] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Hey my copy of Century: Spice Road came today too! Gamess for everyone!

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    My copy of Warfighter is arriving today!

EM, let's run away from work with our boxes and never return.

Then let's mix them together

Cthulhu Warfighter, a solo game about tactical cosmic abominations

A hideous continent-sized mass of wriggling tentacles with a military helmet perched on its topmost protuberance flattens itself against a meteor and extends a pseudopod to stealthily examine the distant Earth.

YOU SHALL DISTRACT THEM WITH A TERRIBLE RAIN OF BLOOD AND AN ONSLAUGHT OF INDESCRIBABLE MUTANT HORRORS, it minds to its fellow old ones as they take their positions, AND I SHALL BREACH REALITY ON THE FLANK. PREPARE THE SUPERNOVA FLASHBANGS.

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

A hideous continent-sized mass of wriggling tentacles with a military helmet perched on its topmost protuberance flattens itself against a meteor and extends a pseudopod to stealthily examine the distant Earth.

YOU SHALL DISTRACT THEM WITH A TERRIBLE RAIN OF BLOOD AND AN ONSLAUGHT OF INDESCRIBABLE MUTANT HORRORS, it minds to its fellow old ones as they take their positions, AND I SHALL BREACH REALITY ON THE FLANK. PREPARE THE SUPERNOVA FLASHBANGS.

Brb starting our Kickstarter

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

Brb starting our Kickstarter

3076% funded in the first six hours

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    My KS backed copy of 10-Minute Heist: The Wizard's Tower arrived today! Can't wait to give it a try!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Initial impressions of Spice road are extremely positive. Think it will be a huge hit at my game night and at home both. If you like card combos and building up point generating engines definitely check it out. Really solid gateway plus game.

• mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Initial impressions of Spice road are extremely positive. Think it will be a huge hit at my game night and at home both. If you like card combos and building up point generating engines definitely check it out. Really solid gateway plus game.

Can you talk a little bit about what sets it apart from Dominion or Star Realms?

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Spice Road is a hand-builder, not a deck-builder. It has more in common with something like Concordia or Mission Red Planet than Dominion in terms of the cards; getting new cards is not the main part of the game, just a means to an end of the resource management. I think you'd find more similarities to Splendor or Bazaar.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    Ah_Pook wrote: »

Can you talk a little bit about what sets it apart from Dominion or Star Realms?

It doesn't have much in common with either of those games really. You're buying cards from a central trade row like Ascension/Star Realms, but they go directly into your hand a la Concordia. It also uses the mechanic from Concordia where you only get your played cards back when you take a turn to rest instead of doing anything else and then you get all your played cards back into your hand. All the cards either generate cubes or Upgrade cubes or trade cubes, and you're trying to cash in specific groups of cubes to score contract cards for points. So you're trying to get efficient cube generating engines together and then churn out the cubes you need to score cards before other players beat you to them. It feels kinda like Splendor once you get going, but with the added fun of card combos.

• YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    Let's go, don't bring weapons.
    GrtKXaB.jpg
    Kgil8N9.jpg
    chfFDs3.jpg

• SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    I went to Origins 2017 and all I got was this write-up

Game we played:
    1. Cowboy Bebop prototype - This was the most prototypey of prototypes. Cardboard bits cut out with scissors, artless cards on paper sleeves with Magic lands to give them shape. But it was actually pretty fun! It was a co-op hand management, movement game. A little like a tiny Pandemic with a bit of - of all things - Concordia. Each person has a set of three objectives tied to an episode of the show, and a personal deck with resources and skills pertinent to their character (Spike, Jet, Faye, or Ed). You don't have enough resources in your deck to do you objectives, so you're forced to work with the other players. You have to complete your objectives while also hunting bounties to keep your supplies up. It was a fun balance between moving yourself and the spacecraft around and completing player objectives and making sure you don't run out of resources. The only problem was it was a little too easy, but it's very early in development and the bones of a good game are there.

And suddenly I want a Cowboy Bebop re-skin of Firefly.

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    GrtKXaB.jpg
    Kgil8N9.jpg
    chfFDs3.jpg

1) You missed some under the shelves...
    2) Whenever my wife says I buy too many games, I'm going to show these photos.

• YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    GrtKXaB.jpg
    Kgil8N9.jpg
    chfFDs3.jpg

One is a puzzle, the other is some 'edgy' adult games that have been sent to the shame closet since I took the photo.

Here's the collection actually nicely organized. Dominion has to stay horizontal, so it lives under the shelf
    XuqoR0G.jpg
    rap71ug.jpg

• Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Just finished unboxing and organizing the tokens for Seafall Legacy, now I just need to convince a few of my friends to let me kidnap them for one night a week.

I know it gets pretty mixed reviews, but I love legacy games and I love age of sail settings, and I got it for $25, so I'm pretty stoked.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    Here's a quick list of what I remember him getting wrong

I'm so sorry.

I'm so, so sorry.

By way of partial apology a German man will now talk you through a 3-player game of it for an hour. He makes mistakes, but generally fewer mistakes and he's willing to admit them. It's not the setup variant people usually play but I find his videos to be very well-informed and basically a rules explanation that is also an entire game.

All you boppers out there with new games to show to your friends, please, please, be kind to the game. Your friends aren't going to pass around the rulebook to learn it themselves, and all of the work that went into designing the game is going to go right out the window if you're not careful. Get the rules right. If possible find a teaching video on the Internet to help you understand. You'll know you've got it when you yell at the people in the videos because you can see a better strategy, and you actually can.

Play a dummy game against yourself, if you have some free table space to set it up.

But in addition to getting the rules right you have to help people connect the rules together in their heads so they feel like they make sense flowing into one another. If they don't, the game is going to feel like a giant foreboding bank of buttons to push with no point in sight.

And if you can, don't try too hard to win. It can be a good experience to wind up losing, be a good sport, and explain why you lost. Or if you wind up winning, point out all the places where you just got lucky. If they don't walk away from the first game feeling like they can win your friends may just want to stick to games where they can, and who could blame them?

• LindLind Registered User regular
    Flamme Rouge and Magic Maze waiting in the mail for me to pick them up after work today and I got some friends ready to play this evning. They both look very good and also not to long. I do love me some long games as well but sometimes its sweet to play alot of shorter games.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    GrtKXaB.jpg
    Kgil8N9.jpg
    chfFDs3.jpg

One is a puzzle, the other is some 'edgy' adult games that have been sent to the shame closet since I took the photo.

Here's the collection actually nicely organized. Dominion has to stay horizontal, so it lives under the shelf
    XuqoR0G.jpg
    rap71ug.jpg

Your walls are plywood? I've never seen that before. Is it a garage or shop room?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    We tried Sword and Sorcery last night. Very good game but amazingly fiddly. There's lots going on but it does work well together. We went with Necromancer, Dragonflame, Pirate and Shaman. No heals so we almost all died at least once except for the dragon. Man, that 2 handed spear at start is crazy powerful.

We also spent two turns chasing after a treasure chest that had a Bag in it.

A bag. That's it. cloth and rope, folks.

ArcSyn wrote: »
    GrtKXaB.jpg
    Kgil8N9.jpg
    chfFDs3.jpg

XuqoR0G.jpg
    rap71ug.jpg

Your walls are plywood? I've never seen that before. Is it a garage or shop room?

It's the open downstairs of a split level. It's weird, but it kinda works. We want to replace it with regular drywall, but it's not a high priority right now.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    So, like ...

BANDIT_HEADER_FINAL.jpg

??

Elvenshae on
  • Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Like the bottle in "A Link to the Past", a "bag of holding" could be the most useful item in the game. Ever try to go to Aldi or Ikea without a bag? If you ever decide to delve into the dungeon that is Aldi, don't forget the one coin necessary to rent the "cart of shopping". It is like paying the boatman on the river Styx, but without having to listen to "Blue Collar Man" or "Lady".

NNID = Zepp914
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    GrtKXaB.jpg
    Kgil8N9.jpg
    chfFDs3.jpg

XuqoR0G.jpg
    rap71ug.jpg

"'edgy' adult games"?

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    GrtKXaB.jpg
    Kgil8N9.jpg
    chfFDs3.jpg

XuqoR0G.jpg
    rap71ug.jpg

"'edgy' adult games"?

CaH and knockoffs

Mojo_Jojo on
  • ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    GrtKXaB.jpg
    Kgil8N9.jpg
    chfFDs3.jpg

XuqoR0G.jpg

You can tell how tired of it all Ezio is in Assassin's Creed : Cardboard

Even with bagging everything I find storing things sideways leaves all the boards bent and the odd card mangled

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    We tried Sword and Sorcery last night. Very good game but amazingly fiddly. There's lots going on but it does work well together. We went with Necromancer, Dragonflame, Pirate and Shaman. No heals so we almost all died at least once except for the dragon. Man, that 2 handed spear at start is crazy powerful.

You died to get that bag, and then I took it, proving once again that there is nothing that you have, that I cannot take away.

But seriously, I am not a fan of how few of your powers you get. Like, there was barely enough souls to get one or two level-ups among four players; if my druid wanted an attack spell AND healing, she needed to get to 3rd level... and that would also involve declining bear form (and what kind of monster does that?).

• HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Went into a small board game shop today and found a sealed copy of the Battlestar Galactica Daybreak expansion on the shelf for MSRP. Tried to stop myself from grinning maniacally as I took my prize to the register.

(If you don't know, it's out of print and presently going for around $110 online.)

• JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Even with bagging everything I find storing things sideways leaves all the boards bent and the odd card mangled
    The only problem I ever have is in games with particularly heavy components, when things settle and sometimes make the boxes bulge out a bit. This is solved by wrapping those games in Hugo's Amazing Tape before shelving them. That solution also helps when transporting the games, so it's an all-around win.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    Lind wrote: »
    Flamme Rouge and Magic Maze waiting in the mail for me to pick them up after work today and I got some friends ready to play this evning. They both look very good and also not to long. I do love me some long games as well but sometimes its sweet to play alot of shorter games.

Where did you get Magic Maze from?

• LindLind Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Darric wrote: »
    Lind wrote: »

Where did you get Magic Maze from?

I'm from Sweden and one of our biggest boardgame websites had it in stock. Pretty fun game and its alot to keep track of when the others all stare at you and you cant see wtf they want you to do.

Flamme Rouge was also darn good. Really, really good infact. It was fun trying to get a good spot in the pack and play as low cards as you dared or trying to decide when to go for it and try to breakout.

Lind on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    War of the Cross, a Diplomacy/Dune style game set in the 7th Sea universe, went live on Kickstarter today.

... Oof. $100 is expensive. I mean, I'll likely pledge, as I love that universe, but.. That's not an impulse buy of a kickstarter price, despite all the minis and pretty parts and such.

So far they only have 340 backers. I'm really worried about them hitting their goal. :(

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    We tried Sword and Sorcery last night. Very good game but amazingly fiddly. There's lots going on but it does work well together.

How would you compare/differentiate it from Gloomhaven? It looks great, but with GH on the way it's a tough sell.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    We tried Sword and Sorcery last night. Very good game but amazingly fiddly. There's lots going on but it does work well together.

How would you compare/differentiate it from Gloomhaven? It looks great, but with GH on the way it's a tough sell.

Player side, it's way easier (no hand management, really), though the enemies are more reactive and crazy punishing (the initial baby gremlin enemies do damage-when-hurt like a xemomorph AND steal your gold forever).

It isn't as legacy-minded as Gloomhaven, for certain, but the monsters do have minis, unlike Gloomhaven's standees.

I like that each PC also has a "ghost" mini for when you are dead and need to do a corpse run.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

Player side, it's way easier (no hand management, really), though the enemies are more reactive and crazy punishing (the initial baby gremlin enemies do damage-when-hurt like a xemomorph AND steal your gold forever).

It isn't as legacy-minded as Gloomhaven, for certain, but the monsters do have minis, unlike Gloomhaven's standees.

I like that each PC also has a "ghost" mini for when you are dead and need to do a corpse run.

FWIW there has been some dispute among my group about just how legacy-minded Gloomhaven really is, but I think that's a little colored by my knowing way better than the others just how much stuff we've passed up so far by doing the things we've chosen to do.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    War of the Cross, a Diplomacy/Dune style game set in the 7th Sea universe, went live on Kickstarter today.

... Oof. $100 is expensive. I mean, I'll likely pledge, as I love that universe, but.. That's not an impulse buy of a kickstarter price, despite all the minis and pretty parts and such.

So far they only have 340 backers. I'm really worried about them hitting their goal. :(

I want to back it, but I definitely have reservations. A minimum of 4 players is tough. How often am I going to get it to the table? And why is there only the one pledge level of "buy this game"?

I love the world, and backed the RPG kickstarter recently. But I just don't know about this game. I feel like KS has had a glut of $100 board games lately (with Rising Sun being the most recent, IIRC) and that had a lot more umph to it.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Kingdom Death: The Butcher did indeed butcher. Without some serious prep and/or fore-knowledge and/or luck I find it hard to see him being beaten. He just kicks out so much bleeding damage, and it doesn't help that he gets stronger the more of you fall. A bit of a downer but the group seem quite keen to get back in the saddle.

Also played Plague Inc. as two player. I can see it being better at three or four but it worked nicely enough with two.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Plague Inc has been fun with five every time we've played it. Haven't managed it with less yet, but I would think three or four would work well.

You died to get that bag, and then I took it, proving once again that there is nothing that you have, that I cannot take away.

But seriously, I am not a fan of how few of your powers you get. Like, there was barely enough souls to get one or two level-ups among four players; if my druid wanted an attack spell AND healing, she needed to get to 3rd level... and that would also involve declining bear form (and what kind of monster does that?).

I guess the limited souls were a feature of the tutorial. you were intended to just learn your basics and not worry much about levelling up.

Plus we all should have taken our heal powers rather than the cool shit like Fire Breath and corpse explosion

edited June 2017

Plus it was actually fun. Gloomhaven just kind of fell flat for us. I think in the end it's because Gloomhaven is more of a puzzle game than a strategy game.

Magic Pink on
    Athenor wrote: »

I want to back it, but I definitely have reservations. A minimum of 4 players is tough. How often am I going to get it to the table? And why is there only the one pledge level of "buy this game"?

I love the world, and backed the RPG kickstarter recently. But I just don't know about this game. I feel like KS has had a glut of $100 board games lately (with Rising Sun being the most recent, IIRC) and that had a lot more umph to it.

Hmm. It's diplomacy without notes and with some added fancy bits. I sort of feel like that is a gap in my collection but I don't think I want to pay $100 for it. I also worry a bit about those direction tokens ending up ambiguous

I quite like the one pledge level though. Nice and simple. Although I know people who run these things find they get better traction with a $1 nothing level at the very least, so that's not a fantastic sign

This discussion has been closed.