As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Android Games!

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Are you looking for a new one, or any? The Bloons series is older but has gotten the most TD play from me due to the progression system.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Polytopia is pretty fun, but very simple. Is there anything like it, but a bit more complex?

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Are you looking for a new one, or any? The Bloons series is older but has gotten the most TD play from me due to the progression system.

Any, really. I've tried a few here and there but nothing really catches my attention for long. The closest one (stretching the definition here quite a bit) would be Plants vs Zombies. >.>

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

Any, really. I've tried a few here and there but nothing really catches my attention for long. The closest one (stretching the definition here quite a bit) would be Plants vs Zombies. >.>

the Kingdom Rush series

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    New Humble Android bundle: Rogue-likes

https://www.humblebundle.com/mobile/roguelikes-mobile-bundle

I'd do a better post but I'm on my phone. I'm tempted to grab the whole thing for Sproggiwood and Road Not Taken which I have on steam already but haven't gotten around to playing

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited June 2017

the Kingdom Rush series

@ringswraith Yeah, if you're still looking and haven't given them a shot, the Kingdom Rush games are incredible. They're fun, gorgeous, well-animated, and pretty varied. I'm only really a fan of specific TD games - polished and graphically interesting ones, I guess - and Kingdom Rush is just the best. One of my favorite mobile game series, along with PvZ.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Anyone playing any good new puzzle games? Still going back to threes, spelltower, and lyne on the regular but wouldn't mind some fresh new timekillers.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    I really like Card Thief. I'm not 100% sure if that's what you're looking for, though. I'm not sure if that's more 'puzzle' or 'strategy' though.

76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Anyone playing any good new puzzle games? Still going back to threes, spelltower, and lyne on the regular but wouldn't mind some fresh new timekillers.

Mini Metro?

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Will check both of those out. Thanks folks.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    KizKiz Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017

I'd do a better post but I'm on my phone. I'm tempted to grab the whole thing for Sproggiwood and Road Not Taken which I have on steam already but haven't gotten around to playing

Does anybody know if any of these are roguelites? I tend to prefer something with some persistent progression (Wayward Souls etc) as opposed to completely resetting to zero after each death.

Edit: Typo

Kiz on
    PSN: Kiz-ziK | Gamertag: KizziK | Steam: Kizzik
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    Kiz wrote: »

Does anybody know if any of these are roguelites? I tend to prefer something with some persistent progression (Wayward Souls etc) as opposed to completely resetting to zero after each death.

Sproggiwood allows you to permanently unlock equipment, and purchase some global upgrades.

teriferin#1625
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Card Thief is amazing, I love it and I want more of it! The art syle is excellent and what grabbed me really.

Also the storytelling format of the Lifeline series is real neat and engaging. It really makes me emotionally invested.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Card Thief is amazing, I love it and I want more of it! The art syle is excellent and what grabbed me really.

Also the storytelling format of the Lifeline series is real neat and engaging. It really makes me emotionally invested.

I had no idea there was more than one.

I'm going to need to spend some money soon!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Aktn BstrdAktn Bstrd Registered User regular
    Teriferin wrote: »
    Kiz wrote: »

Sproggiwood allows you to permanently unlock equipment, and purchase some global upgrades.

I just picked up Sproggiwood because of you. I'm liking it so far! It is also on sale for $1.99 today, which was perfect because I had just over $2 from surveys.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    If you liked Monument Valley, you'll enjoy Aqueducts. Similar art style and high polish. Plus, it's free(!) so give it a try.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    I'm looking for a not-bullshit, bloated mobile card game.

I played Tyrant back in the day, is it still kind of a mess? What are other card or tactics games I can play on my phone?

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »

I played Tyrant back in the day, is it still kind of a mess? What are other card or tactics games I can play on my phone?

Eternal is real good, plays like mtg, looks like hearthstone.

Very friendly and giving ftp system in it, you can constantly get packs and draft just playing the game normally, not much need to grind or spend money.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

Gems of War? It's a match 3 but you play with a fixed hand of four troop cards. You need to build teams that have good synergy rather than just being strong. It's basically a revamp of puzzle quest. Has weekly events to promote trying new things too rather than just sitting with something comfortable

You can buy keys from the real cash shop if you fancy but it's not essential at all as there are no cash only resources or anything

Not quite cards but it's the best phone game I've come across and might scratch the same itch

The downside is that in the early game you'll be doing lots of the single player story missions and the writing is just shit.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Guild of Dungeoneering is pretty fun

It's essentially a deckbuilder roguelike:

You start each map at level 1 with a class you have unlocked, with weak cards. Every enemy you defeat, you get to pick loot, which adds a card stat (Crush I, Arcane II), which add more powerful cards to your deck.

It's not super challenging, but it is a good phone game, short sessions, a lot of maps, a lot of different classes.

It's on Steam too, but it's cheaper on phones. The phone version includes both DLC packs and is still cheaper than the base game on Steam.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

It's a rogue lite, not a persistent grind one, but I'd suggest Soliterica.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Very hyped for Lady Layton tomorrow. Hoping it maintains the quality of the series so far.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    PvZ was a really good phone card game till their most recent expansion and the changes to free stuff that it brought with it. Sadly.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Whats the difference with all the various DOS emulators?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Titanfall: Assault is pretty fun!

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I started playing Tap Titans 2 on this shiny new pixel XL I got. This is a crazy clicker.

Any good hot recommendations for games? I still want to play FF6 but those chibi sprites instead of the originals are still maddening.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    The Sorcery! series is really great, if you haven't already you should play them.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I started playing Tap Titans 2 on this shiny new pixel XL I got. This is a crazy clicker.

Any good hot recommendations for games? I still want to play FF6 but those chibi sprites instead of the originals are still maddening.
    I'm crazy into Elder Scrolls Legends right now.

Installed on my 6p: Card Thief, Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, Gems of War, Harbinger, Hearthstone, Letter Quest, Polytopia, Space Agency, Space Team, TES:L, Carcassonne, Catan, Space Trucker.

• Options
    I just got Don't Starve recently and it's a great version of the PC game and works really well on my 6p. It's also good because you can save at any time. But fair warning, it's freaking hard. I think I've only survived 5 or 6 days.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I decided to try Motorsport Manager since I like race cars and it is currently free on the Play Store.

Long story short, after a very successful first quarter STAXIMUM OVERDRIVE (my racing team) lost a little over $500,000 for the operating month of April and now my sponsors are fucking livid (53% approval rating)... but my fans love me (100% approval rating) and one of my lead engineers sent an email saying she was very excited that I renewed her contract. We're number 4 in points for the season so far though, and have an engineering staff of over 30 people.

As much as I love racing games, I absolutely hate touchscreen controls for "traditional" games, so it's been fun playing something that doesn't require those. I should probably look at more RPGs and SRPGs.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    In the realm of board games, two of the best board games in existence just got apps: Twilight Struggle and Though the Ages. Also, the beta of Evolution is on Kickstarter and will be released to backers on October 18th.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I got a strong phone as a gift, so I was kind of looking to try some games that work well on a phone screen and controls. I've been trying some random stuff, but it seems that basically anything not turn based and/or puzzley seems rather iffy.

Does anyone have any suggestions for fun tactics games ala FFT and the like for phone?

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    I got a strong phone as a gift, so I was kind of looking to try some games that work well on a phone screen and controls. I've been trying some random stuff, but it seems that basically anything not turn based and/or puzzley seems rather iffy.

Does anyone have any suggestions for fun tactics games ala FFT and the like for phone?

FFT WotL is in the play store. Other then that I too would like some recommendations. It seems like the perfect genre for a phone game but there are very few games that I can find. Battle for Wesnoth is there, which is a free Linux game as well.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Demon's Rise was mentioned in the iOS thread, and it is available on android too.

• Options
    I played through XCOM, The Banner Saga and the first 2 Shadowrun games on my phone. XCOM and TBS were great. Shadowrun isn't really meant for a small screen but it's definitely workable.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I'd be too afraid of throwing my phone to play Xcom on it.

If Square ever did a Front Mission 3 port for Android devices I'd be in heaven.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    X-com as in the original? Man, I already hated the interface to bits when it was in a big screen, I don't think I could reasonably play that on a tiny five inch screen.

War of the Lions IS, admittedly, tempting.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Drascin wrote: »
    X-com as in the original? Man, I already hated the interface to bits when it was in a big screen, I don't think I could reasonably play that on a tiny five inch screen.

War of the Lions IS, admittedly, tempting.

Not the original. This one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tt2kgames.xcomew

I think it's mostly the same as the PC version but with maybe fewer maps. I forget.

and FFT is a good option too. I'm in the middle of a stalled playthrough on my phone as we speak (too many things pulling my attention in different directions)

steam_sig.png

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I played through XCOM, The Banner Saga and the first 2 Shadowrun games on my phone. XCOM and TBS were great. Shadowrun isn't really meant for a small screen but it's definitely workable.

I actually really enjoyed playing through Shadowrun on my phone. I have it on PC as well, but keep getting distracted when I sit down to play, but w/ it on my phone, its nice to have a solid game to sit and play at lunch, or when my wife is driving.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    I played through the first two Shadowrun games on my phone and I was happy with that for the reasons you said. I'm just hard pressed to recommend them because they definitely felt like they were meant for a bigger screen. The text was smaller than I would have liked and clicking on a spot right next to someone in a battle was a challenge. It just felt like it needed a zoom or a bigger screen.

steam_sig.png