As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX West 2017 Cosplay thread

sediroxsedirox Registered User regular
edited June 2017 in PAX West
Hey all,

Now that tickets sales have come and gone and most of the ticket hype dust has settled, I thought it would be a good idea to get the cosplay thread up!

Please feel free to use this thread for all things cosplay related. Post what cosplays you plan on bringing, ask for advice on upcoming cosplays, find others who are cosplaying the same game, series or franchise as you, etc.

For first timers: PAX generally isn't as cosplay-heavy as other conventions but there are rules in terms of props and attire that all cosplaying attendees MUST follow:

(These are lifted from the PAX website)

Props:
All prop weapons brought to the show MUST be approved at the Info Booth as soon as you arrive. We will be looking for the following criteria:
  • It cannot fire any sort of projectile. (Nerf guns are only allowed if they have been deactivated and cannot fire.)
  • It cannot be an airsoft weapon. (Yes, even if it’s deactivated.)
  • It cannot be sharp or pointy enough to cut or pierce someone with moderate pressure. This includes all real swords, daggers and knives. It also includes ceramic blades, needles, syringes and anything that can pierce (for example, a Little Sister syringe made of wood would not be allowed)
Upon approval, your weapon and badge will be tagged and cataloged.

Attire:
Cosplaying attendees may be asked to alter or modify their costume if it is considered overtly sexual.

(More information can be found under the Safety and Security section of the PAX site)

sedirox on

• Options
    This year, I'll be bringing Twintelle from ARMS, Tracer from Overwatch and Pamitha from Pyre.
    Tracer is already done, save for some minor fixes. Twintelle and Pamitha will be new projects I'll be working on this summer.

• Options
    DarkNutKDDarkNutKD Registered User regular
    I'll be doing Crono again this year. Have a friend working on The Stranger from Furi and also Plague Knight from Shovel Knight.

• Options
    Hoboking006Hoboking006 Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    My fiancee and I will probably bring back our dora the explorer/bioshock cosplay
    rqmqib2domd2.png

And depending on the weather I'll bring my Henchmen 21 cosplay from the Venture Bros episode, "Every Which Way but Zeus".
    1iqnn3t8061k.jpg

Hoboking006 on
    May PAX be upon you.
  • Options
    XalaraXalara Registered User regular
    My wife and I are working on a FFXIV Scathach cosplay for PAX. One area of concern is how pointy the prop is. My plan is to replace the areas that could poke someone with foam. Do you guys think it will be sufficient to replace the three areas I've highlighted?
    jkJ3ijR.jpg

The crescent moon doesn't come to a point, so I don't the ends need to be replaced with foam.

• Options
    DruidsFlameDruidsFlame Registered User regular
    Xalara wrote: »
    My wife and I are working on a FFXIV Scathach cosplay for PAX. One area of concern is how pointy the prop is. My plan is to replace the areas that could poke someone with foam. Do you guys think it will be sufficient to replace the three areas I've highlighted?
    jkJ3ijR.jpg

The crescent moon doesn't come to a point, so I don't the ends need to be replaced with foam.

Maybe the two points at the lower part of the spear blade.

Prop looks awesome though!

sEf3HzW.png
    PAX PRIME 2018 Status: Badges [√] Room [√] Waiting [ :x ]
    PoGo Trainer Code:4505 8413 2232
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    that looks super good! I agree that those highlighted areas are likely sufficient.

• Options
    zepallicazepallica Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I'm doing Booker Dewitt again, Knightmare Batman if I can get a decent mask, and if I can get it together in time Chapter 0 gladio in crownsguard uniform.

• Options
    ScunosiScunosi WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I'm looking at cleaning up Wicke from Sakuracon (just need to touch-up her hair and clean her boots mostly), may get some new casual shoes for her for when my feet are dead from the heels assuming I don't learn how to wear heels all day by then.

As far as making a new thing I'll be short on time so the plan so far is just to do a Shy Gal. I'm assuming that won't run afoul of any "overtly sexy" rules, and honestly I may just do regular tights instead of garters 'cuz it means buying less.

• Options
    All Night XiongAll Night Xiong Registered User new member
    Request to know if there is any one who plans to cosplay at Pax Prime as a team skull member? I intend to cosplay as a team skull grunt and I think it'd be epic if we can get a group together.

• Options
    LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    I saw a BUNCH at East, if that helps?

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • Options
    angelkatie9angelkatie9 Registered User regular
    I will be cruising the con as 707 from Mystic Messenger. Any other RFA or MC peeps, let me know if you wanna meet up!

• Options
    Request to know if there is any one who plans to cosplay at Pax Prime as a team skull member? I intend to cosplay as a team skull grunt and I think it'd be epic if we can get a group together.
    I'm assuming there'll be plenty as I think Team Skull made up 50% of the cosplayers at Sakuracon (which is held at the same venue on Easter), but I'm at the very least two of my friends should be bringing theirs so there's two people for your crew. And with the two Ultra games announced you'll all still be topical!

• Options
    Nexis NightmareNexis Nightmare Minneapolis MNRegistered User regular
    I'm thinking of bringing my Xayah (League of Legends), Lilith (Darkstalkers) and Sombra (Overwatch). If anyone wants to organize some meet ups closer to the con when the schedule comes out I'm all for it.

• Options
    Csifreak86Csifreak86 Registered User regular
    I'm cosplaying for my very first time this year I'm freaking out! I'm dressing as Harley Quinn. I've never done it before to self conscious and all that jazz. But after Emerald City ComicCon this year and seeing girls who were my size cosplaying and everyone loving them it boosted my confidence. So I'm beyond excited to go as Harley!

• Options
    SeaSaltySeaSalty Registered User new member
    I'll be dressing up as Mei from Overwatch. But with my own twist, I'm going to try and dress her as a Portland hipster chick. I feel like it may be a silly idea, but I'm going to try it anyway XD

• Options
    botanic-anticsbotanic-antics Registered User regular
    It'll be my first time at PAX, so I thought I'd keep my cosplays simple. I know I'll be wearing my punk Poison Ivy for the first time ever, and I'm deciding if I want to bring a second one. Maybe Doctor Who, Harry Potter, Pokemon, or something else... any thoughts?
    (only going Saturday and Monday because my family couldn't get other tickets before it was sold out!)

OufnvCf.png
    Highlights from a baby PAXer: First time with VR, awesome Indie games, and Acq Inc. "C" Team shenanigans
  • Options
    LejicLejic Registered User regular
    I'm thinking of cosplaying as Gabbie actually, but wondering how crazy I need to make the hair to make it clear. Otherwise I'd just look like I stole Gabe's outfit, if people would recognize it at all...

Any ideas on what I could do with the hair?

• Options
    botanic-anticsbotanic-antics Registered User regular
    Lejic wrote: »
    I'm thinking of cosplaying as Gabbie actually, but wondering how crazy I need to make the hair to make it clear. Otherwise I'd just look like I stole Gabe's outfit, if people would recognize it at all...

Are you thinking of using a wig or your own hair? With a wig, you could buy one that is teased and style it to the right amount of crazy. With your own hair, you won't have the headache from wearing a wig all day but then detangling and washing out the hairspray will be just as bad. Hope that helps!

OufnvCf.png
    Highlights from a baby PAXer: First time with VR, awesome Indie games, and Acq Inc. "C" Team shenanigans
  • Options
    LejicLejic Registered User regular
    Lejic wrote: »

Are you thinking of using a wig or your own hair? With a wig, you could buy one that is teased and style it to the right amount of crazy. With your own hair, you won't have the headache from wearing a wig all day but then detangling and washing out the hairspray will be just as bad. Hope that helps!

Thank you! My own hair seems easier but not sure if I could make it stand-up enough, so maybe a clip-on just for the front fringe-like-thing. I'll browse the interwebs!

I hadn't thought about the wig-ache, thanks for reminding me.

• Options
    PunkJrPunkJr Decepticon Infiltrator Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Thinking about throwing together some TAZ cosplay... perhaps Garfield the Deals Warlock, or some version of Magnus.

daaeZs9.png
    PunkJr
    Pirate, Stormtrooper, Decepticon
    Yes, my middle name really is MEGATRON
    Former Ravenclaw Death Eaters Head of House
  • Options
    The AviatrixThe Aviatrix Registered User regular
    I am working on a white mage lolita dress :D

I just bought a serger and omg... it makes me roll around with happiness.

And I have a 1950s housewife Scarlet Witch nearly done. (To match my friend who is will be a 50's Black Widow.)

I'll also be wandering the floor every day with a yellow exclamation mark... Giving out quests and such. Thinking I may make a FFXIV-esque exclamation mark for the WM outfit.

I've not figured out what else I'll be wearing as that is only 2 days of stuff.

x5XpZBK.pngEz7XjRx.pngml9Z6gf.png
  • Options
    It'll be my first time at PAX, so I thought I'd keep my cosplays simple. I know I'll be wearing my punk Poison Ivy for the first time ever, and I'm deciding if I want to bring a second one. Maybe Doctor Who, Harry Potter, Pokemon, or something else... any thoughts?
    (only going Saturday and Monday because my family couldn't get other tickets before it was sold out!)
    See my prior post, if you had to choose just one other I'd suggest Pokémon due to the presence Nintendo always has plus the new Pokémon games coming out soon.

Just got my passes in the mail, guess I should actually start making my new cosplay...

• Options
    CharmingDevilCharmingDevil Token Awkward Muffin Graham, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I've been wanting to cosplay Rayne from the Bloodrayne series for awhile so if I have time to finish her I'll be bringing her. My husband and I may also cosplay Chris and Ashley from Until Dawn if the weather is cool enough by September. Would love to get a whole group of Until Dawn cosplayers together but not sure how popular that game really is in the cosplay community. But on that note, does anyone know if there's any rules regarding fake blood at PAX? 'Cause anyone familiar with the game will know we'll be covered in it lol!

• Options
    I've been wanting to cosplay Rayne from the Bloodrayne series for awhile so if I have time to finish her I'll be bringing her. My husband and I may also cosplay Chris and Ashley from Until Dawn if the weather is cool enough by September. Would love to get a whole group of Until Dawn cosplayers together but not sure how popular that game really is in the cosplay community. But on that note, does anyone know if there's any rules regarding fake blood at PAX? 'Cause anyone familiar with the game will know we'll be covered in it lol!

I don't think there is a rule per se but I remember a Lara Croft cosplayer from a couple PAX Easts ago saying she got stopped by security because of all the blood and bruises she had on her cosplay. Security was super concerned and asked her a lot of questions. She said she was fine and it was all makeup.

To be safe, I would recommend emailing PAX and asking.

• Options
    CharmingDevilCharmingDevil Token Awkward Muffin Graham, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    sedirox wrote: »
    I don't think there is a rule per se but I remember a Lara Croft cosplayer from a couple PAX Easts ago saying she got stopped by security because of all the blood and bruises she had on her cosplay. Security was super concerned and asked her a lot of questions. She said she was fine and it was all makeup.

To be safe, I would recommend emailing PAX and asking.

Ok thanks that's really good to know because aside from all the blood, Chris also has a huge bruise on his forehead and Ashley has a black eye. That would really suck to get stopped by security. At least they're concerned enough to stop people though. Us damn cosplayers make our makeup so damn realistic, I don't blame them for thinking it might be real. If it turns out to be a concern though, we could always just drop the gore down a notch so we don't look as beat up. It won't be as accurate as I'd like but we don't need to get stopped all day by concerned citizens. That sounds like more hassle then it's worth...

CharmingDevil on
  • Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    My fiancé and I are gonna be doing Vault Dwellers, i'm from Vault 77, and she's gonna be a Boomer. Still working on the jacket, but she will have an assault shotgun and i'll have a AER-9. We're trying to figure out how to make a full on Fat Man, but that's a long term project.

FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    kalemeplzkalemeplz Registered User new member
    I will most likely be Sae (Shadow) from P5. Not sure if spikes are allowed however...Would love to find other Personers to take pictures with especially since this will be my first time cosplaying and I know PAX isn't heavily revolved around that lol.

• Options
    kangaroobanditkangaroobandit Registered User regular
    This will be my first time cosplaying at an event.. I will be cosplaying as Bulma from Dragon Ball.

• Options
    VGguy49VGguy49 Registered User regular
    kalemeplz wrote: »
    I will most likely be Sae (Shadow) from P5. Not sure if spikes are allowed however...Would love to find other Personers to take pictures with especially since this will be my first time cosplaying and I know PAX isn't heavily revolved around that lol.

Gotta love those spoilers

Wishes he could change his username
  • Options
    kalemeplzkalemeplz Registered User new member
    Well, no one would even recognize me (most likely) unless I was in a group with other main characters. I would just look like someone that stumbled out of Hot Topic, wouldn't say I'm exactly spoiling anything by clarifying I'm not a standard character and that is also one of the reasons I am seeking a group lol. Most of my friends are not dressing up.

• Options
    VGguy49VGguy49 Registered User regular
    Well, no one would even recognize me (most likely) unless I was in a group with other main characters. I would just look like someone that stumbled out of Hot Topic, wouldn't say I'm exactly spoiling anything by clarifying I'm not a standard character and that is also one of the reasons I am seeking a group lol. Most of my friends are not dressing up.

Yeah I was more referring to the forums than at the actual event

Wishes he could change his username
  • Options

I'm bringing my Haru cosplay to PAX but not sure if I'll get the chance to wear it during the weekend. It's my "comfy" cosplay to change into when I get tired of some of my heavier ones.

• Options
    ScottyDoesn'tKnowScottyDoesn'tKnow Registered User regular
    Hi everyone!

I'm new to the area, so I didn't get a chance to buy passes (working on that) IF I do make it, I'll most likely be bringing my Solider 76 from Overwatch, and my Delsin Rowe from InFamous: Second Son! Keep me posted on any Overwatch meetups :biggrin:

Thanks!

Scotty

• Options
    Overwatch cosplayers! Looks like the meetup is on the Saturday of PAX at 2pm.
    Link here. https://www.facebook.com/events/495502347457321/

Guess I'm doing Tracer on Saturday then.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Managed to get Scathach done in time for AniRevo and PAX! Will be excited to see you all there, and of course we will be at the FFXIV panel :)

For the staff we are actually going to put foam caps on the spikes since that turned out to be a more workable solutions.

The costume:
    0SmF9K4.jpg

Xalara on
  • Options
    Xalara wrote: »
    Managed to get Scathach done in time for AniRevo and PAX! Will be excited to see you all there, and of course we will be at the FFXIV panel :)

For the staff we are actually going to put foam caps on the spikes since that turned out to be a more workable solutions.

The costume:
    0SmF9K4.jpg

Yo, that's awesome! How did you do the wig?

• Options
    dragonmammadragonmamma OregonRegistered User regular
    I'm cosplaying for the first time this year, and dragging my son, sister and nephew into it too...I'm going for a twi'lek pirate. Super excited

• Options
    edited August 2017
    The wig was done with wefts and expanding foam attached to a hairband via steel rods, metal wire, and lots of epoxy. The wefts were glued down.

Actually we got the wrong foam (gap filling instead of expanding) and it was waaaay too heavy. In the future I'd recommend using foam to create the base, then putting paper mache on top to create a shell and cutting that off so that you have something that is light and hollow, but rigid. Also use fabric glue for the wefts, we used mod podge and it sucked.

Xalara on
  • Options
    xshinoxxshinox Registered User new member
    i have a question about the weapons policy. not sure if i'll have my cosplay ready in time but if i do, i would like to know if it is okay to bring the toy squirt guns that were recently released; it's the splatoon 1 splatter shot as well as the splatoon 2 splat dualies. are those okay to bring as cosplay props as long as they don't have water in them?

• Options
    DarkNutKDDarkNutKD Registered User regular
    Seems like League of Legends will be hosting the Cosplay Lounge this year, just saw it within their announcement for Pax West.