As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hold shift or you'll be [Dead by Daylight]

THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa!Registered User regular
edited June 2016 in Social Entropy++
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGhIXLO3ul8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBKOHIWNVJY

Dead by Daylight is a 1v4 game where one killer (currently there is a Leatherface, a Jason, and some weird fuckin dude who can ring a scary bell to become invisible) tries to kill four survivors before they can start up five engines to open the escape door. It's in Early Access on Steam and is 18 bucks right now.

Four friends and I all just picked this up, and it is a fucking blast to play. Being a survivor is terrifying, the killer projects a field of view as spooky red mist and anytime he's near you hear a swelling heartbeat. It seems to run very well and looks appropriately spooky.

If a few people get the game, playing as a 5 man group is definitely the way to do it.

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
THESPOOKY on

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    So I had some questions about it
    Do you just play a survivor? Or can you play the killer? Can you play vs/and with bots? Can you play with another person but are you both surviviors or one the killer and one the survivor?

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    So I had some questions about it
    Do you just play a survivor? Or can you play the killer? Can you play vs/and with bots? Can you play with another person but are you both surviviors or one the killer and one the survivor?

It's like Evolve, there is one player killer and four player survivors. No bots yet, but you can indeed join onto friends in a lobby. There is also a private lobby mode.

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Oh shit is this like The Hidden

Cause I love The Hidden

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I guess it's like the Hidden in that it's asymmetric, but it doesn't appear to play anything like it. AFAIK, the survivors can't do anything to the killer beyond using a flashlight to temporarily blind him.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    This is a fun game and it's sad more people here aren't playing it.

Thread title advice to hold shift is pretty bad unless you're being chased. Holding shift leaves bright red trails for the killer to follow and find you.

Trapper is my favorite killer. Gonna juke the windows? Not without getting caught you're not. Oh and I'll just leave this trap under you while you're on the hook so I can leave you to hang and go chase your friends off the generators.

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Anyone still play this?

I'm right at the refund time threshold and I'm debating to just refund it. It seems like new players are totally fucked because you're constantly up against people with max perks while you have jack. As a survivor, it seems like I'm up against Wraiths with no decloak time and Nurses with no blink stun time. As a killer, it seems like I'm facing survivors with 2-3 times the base repair speed.

I'm wondering if I should stick with it or just give up being punished forever until I grind god knows how many hours for the perks.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I have this and I'm down to play unranked matches.

• Options
    And how the heck do you track survivors as the killer? The game says you can see running tracks and blood trails. I notice tiny little red scratch marks but they're everywhere, even on walls. The How to Play mentions red scratches, are those from running? It doesn't seem like they go away, which quickly makes them useless because you can't tell which ones are fresh out of a whole mess of them.

How do the blood trails work? I haven't been able to spot a single one. I was following a freshly injured survivor for a full 30 seconds, right behind him, and I never noticed him leaving the slightest trail.

• Options
    The scratch marks go away after a bit. Are you playing with headphones? If you're not you're at a serious disadvantage. Being able to hear running sounds, breathing, etc. in stereo and nailing their position down with audio is way more reliable than vision IME.

• Options
    Is there any mechanics to crouching? Any point to it besides a slightly lower height to be spotted?

• Options
    It definitely makes you harder to see, particularly in tall grass or corn.

• Options
    I can get into matches almost immediately as the killer, yet for 2 days I've waited over five minute in queue as a survivor and gotten nothing. I figure it would be the opposite.

• Options
    Killers are currently underpowered and fewer people play them as a result

Plus SWF groups are increasingly common at higher ranks

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Man the community sure can be...something.

I'm only a level 2 killer, and in a game vs 4 survivors with ridiculous perks (crazy heal/repair times), I manage to sacrifice 2 of them right at the end while 2 escaped.

Dude in the aftergame lobby started going on how I was a "terrible kiddie killer" who only got kills because they made the the mistake of trying to heal at the exit.

Like, dude. Game was a 50/50 split. What is there to get bitter over? Your opponent only got some success over you because you made a mistake? Uhhhh...how else should a competitive game work?

"He was a terrible boxer. He only got punches in because I lowered my guard!"

MrBody on
  • Options
    Turn off after game chat.