As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] vs the unending tide of grey plastic

• Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    To go with Echo's Rubrics, here they are a few thousand years earlier, with their big bro.

dkm914ual8h3.jpg
    ztabhtfmthq6.jpg
    d7rjpei1nwyp.jpg
    32wr94840sd3.jpg
    8pff84jvaqya.jpg
    qgk70cpcxjld.jpg

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I've had some thoughts about painting my Calth box up as pre-heresy TSons in that candy red.

• Options
    The hardest part is thinning the Tamiya Clear Red enough that'll go through the airbrush, but not enough it turns into red water.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I would bother posting pics but f photobucket and it ad happy ass

imgur.com is a very good image host. Even has some built in editing tools.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Man, two awesome looking Thousand Sons forces. I'm stuck between handing out Awesomes and unleashing my Space Wolves to purge you heretics.

I love the look of those solid gold marines, though. May have to buy a can of that stuff just for some terrain.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Protip: Tamiya makes gold and clear red rattle cans. The results are spectacular.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Protip: Tamiya makes gold and clear red rattle cans. The results are spectacular.

Really? I must look into this.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    It's a slightly colder gold than Retributor Armor. I painted up test models a while ago with both and the difference was negligible. Sadly I can't find any pictures.

• Options
    I don't have problems airbrushing gold, but the clear red is tempting. Describing them as "synthetic lacquer" concerns me, mostly because I don't actually know much about paints.

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Tamiya clear red has a few quibbles when it comes to other paints but it's relatively stable. Just make sure to apply it over completely dry coats of gold. Don't apply any washes or tints first, as it can eat through them. Airbrush order is primer - gold - clear red and then you can do stuff like recess shading on the red afterwards.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I don't mind the matted look I get with Reikland Fleshshade over the gold primer, but for the next unit I think I'll try the gloss version of the wash.

Echo on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    FInally finished the Drakenmoor Warboars! Only half a year later.

I38vObK.jpg?1
    FLN3lXR.jpg?1dWs5PqU.jpg?1

I have to borrow a decent camera sometime.

honovere on
  • Options
    Badablack wrote: »
    Tamiya clear red has a few quibbles when it comes to other paints but it's relatively stable. Just make sure to apply it over completely dry coats of gold. Don't apply any washes or tints first, as it can eat through them. Airbrush order is primer - gold - clear red and then you can do stuff like recess shading on the red afterwards.

Given that's the usual routine, I might pick up a can and try it out. Would save me a lot of frustration.

• Options
    The clear red's glossiness lends itself well to immediately applying an oil wash after it has cured.

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    I remember seeing some company that made molds that you could press a green-stuff coated base into to get some cool basing patterns. Anyone know what I'm talking about and have a link?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    NisiNisi Registered User regular
    Theres Happy Seppuku and also Green Stuff World

I backed Happy Seppuku's last kickstarter so I have a bunch of those molds. They work great but it takes a bit of practice to get good results. Have no experience with Green Stuff World.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Speaking of tamiya clears over metals, I picked up the nurgle part of the new Warhammer starter set and I wanna try something similar for it. I'm thinking a dark bronze or brass with very thin coats of clear yellow and green over it. With bright red/yellow/green grossness for all the fleshy bits to pop from the subdued armor.

*edit* Nevermind scratch all that, stained yellow/brown porcelain scheme instead. An army of walking dirty toilet bowls. Gets away from the ubiquitous green scheme for plague marines.

Badablack on
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »
    DCVn60hUIAIiPZA.jpg
    A bit more work on these guys. I decided to finish them both before i settle on which purple i like best.

How'd you make those guns?

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Grey Knight Psilencers, with Necron Immortal Tesla barrels on the end.

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    I did some bad things to a custodes kit.
    v1mhtca69v0c.jpg

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    Painting progress has been slow lately. I'm just finishing up my Nu-'Nids test model, then it's one of the new Death Guard - I'm thinking the Lords of Contagion scheme with a vertical green stripe somewhere - but then its back to the 'nids.

I want to see if the new scheme works for a Heirodule.

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    I used to live near a place where I could just fetch a variety of rock sizes and shapes for basing Now I think I need to make some, since I don't know of a good place to pick them up outside, and I'm not paying $30 for rock basing tubs. I'm figuring there's probably a kit of something like plaster I could cast and hit with a hammer to make rock shards. Anyone have any recommendations?

• Options
    I think the go-to is slate. You can get slate for gardening at most home improvement stores.

• Options
    That's good. I was looking at casting plaster in tubs and hitting it with a hammer, but there's like fifty different types of plaster and then I'd have to sand it and....

• Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    Progress. A bit of tidying to do, then limbs and base.

tctay8tw2ghi.jpg

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    @Dr_Keenbean went right where I was thinking about going.

How hard is it to paint MDF terrain to look... not garbage? All that flat, plain texture looks like it'll be tough to make anything particularly interesting out of it. I'm thinking I'll need to glue a bunch of bitz on to pieces to make it more 3D.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    @Dr_Keenbean went right where I was thinking about going.

How hard is it to paint MDF terrain to look... not garbage? All that flat, plain texture looks like it'll be tough to make anything particularly interesting out of it. I'm thinking I'll need to glue a bunch of bitz on to pieces to make it more 3D.

Here's some photos of a local's stuff, which is airbrushed very simply. It doesn't really take that much to look decent.

• Options
    I don't have an airbrush. Also, that's still super low detail. It definitely looks good for what it is, but those are just plain, blue panels.

• Options
    You could always take some some textured spray paint to them, then a dark silver spray, then take a big brush and do some quick drybrushing with dark/light orange for corroded panels.

Also what some people do is print out tiny posters to paste all over their future walls with propaganda and whatnot. Lots of ways to break up flat walls.

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    speaking of airbrushes, I think it is time for me to take my painting of plastic mans to the next level and get in on the airbrush action.
    Anyone have a recommendation for where to buy an airbrush/compressor in Australia (QLD)? the sites I looked at so far all look slightly or not so slightly dodgy

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    more yellow boys
    b7fp7i7ewure.jpg

• Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    What is that Terminator in the front?

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Options
    Tartaros with an iliastus assault cannon made from spare stormtalon bits.

• Options
    W2W2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Viking wrote: »
    speaking of airbrushes, I think it is time for me to take my painting of plastic mans to the next level and get in on the airbrush action.
    Anyone have a recommendation for where to buy an airbrush/compressor in Australia (QLD)? the sites I looked at so far all look slightly or not so slightly dodgy

I'm in Melbourne.

I got my actual Badger Patriot airbrush from Amazon (as well as the hoses and couplers for a Badger), and I bought one of these compressors from Crazysales (which definitely sounds dodgy but they did send me a compressor, so it worked out fine.) All the other stuff (spray out pot, cleaning brushes, etc.) I just bought off eBay.

W2 on
  • Options
    TacoForceTacoForce Registered User regular
    Normally I'm not crazy about zombies and whatnot, but Nurgle's boys are just so darn happy!
    mq5c8x9forwq.jpg
    y3kmaybi57sn.jpg

• Options
    I finally found a good use for the king.

DC1WqKJXgAAO4ao.jpg:small

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    One of my friends put $1 coins under his Berzerkers to keep them upright. Had over $50 under his armies bases.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Our old 1/2/5 SEK coins become invalid at the end of the month and I can't be arsed taking ~50 SEK to the bank.

edit: 1 SEK = 0.11 USD at the moment.

Echo on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Malifaux figures are terrible for needing weighted bases (when they even fit on them). You can imagine how well this one stands on his own:

Marshall-1.jpg

(Not my paintwork, GIS image)

Not even a vague attempt to centre the weight, just entirely all hanging off the edge to one side.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    NisiNisi Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    I nearly trashed my Brass Arachnid due to frustration due to the assembly and it overhanging its base. Still is nothing compared to some Warmachine models (Deathjack, Scaverous)

The newer Malifaux models like Jorugumo seem better in this regard.

Nisi on
This discussion has been closed.