As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] 8th ed Incoming! New Profiles, new rules new stats quo.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Reading the Dark Imperium novel it seems like 8th edition is a time junp forward? Like, a guardsman's great grandfather tells him about a time before The Great Rift happened and the Indomnitus Crusade has been going on for 112 years.

Yeah my understanding is the Death Guard stuff and such is 100+ years after Gathering Storm.

So Magnus and crew have been hanging out in the Prospero system for the past century? 'Cause that's basically within spitting distance of Terra as far as galactic travel distances go.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Planets in and around the rift have seen a lot of time fuckery as a result of the warp bleeding into realspace though, so some planets may have seen significantly more or less than 100 years of "real time" pass.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    A sorcerer did it.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Really at this point I am fine with playing games until the codex come out for the fluff and fun
    But hopefully they have learned how power creep ruined 40k over the years

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Eh, forget power creep, if they respond with corrections to the simply mathematically ridiculous stats or costs some existing units and weapons have, both the ones that are too good and the ones that are terrible, I'll be impressed. They managed a lot of that in this new edition correcting 7th's powerhouse units but dropped the ball in several instances, especially in less popular armies which I imagine simply saw less playtesting.

Timely further corrections of existing problems while going forward is the true test in my eyes. I accept that any new model is probably going to be strong simply because they want to sell the thing, but I really want balance between and within factions. There shouldn't be a unit or weapon that is strictly inferior in every sense over another option.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    Eh, forget power creep, if they respond with corrections to the simply mathematically ridiculous stats or costs some existing units and weapons have, both the ones that are too good and the ones that are terrible, I'll be impressed. They managed a lot of that in this new edition correcting 7th's powerhouse units but dropped the ball in several instances, especially in less popular armies which I imagine simply saw less playtesting.

Timely further corrections of existing problems while going forward is the true test in my eyes. I accept that any new model is probably going to be strong simply because they want to sell the thing, but I really want balance between and within factions. There shouldn't be a unit or weapon that is strictly inferior in every sense over another option.

The first chapter approved in about 6 months is the first test. Could do things from stats to point cost and so on.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    the best part is that its still technically M41 despite the time jump because they introduced the idea that there are literal wars fought over how to properly interpret the calendar on a galactic scale.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    the best part is that its still technically M41 despite the time jump because they introduced the idea that there are literal wars fought over how to properly interpret the calendar on a galactic scale.

300px-World_line.svg.png

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Alright, rulebook, index 1, and tactical cards get

Oh, I guess I bought 3 boxes of death company and a sanguinary priest

• Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Alright, rulebook, index 1, and tactical cards get

Oh, I guess I bought 3 boxes of death company and a sanguinary priest

You made the right decision.

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    What's the point of the tactical cards?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    They introduced a new mission type last edition, which they kept in this one, wherein you generate new objectives every turn by either rolling a pair of dice or drawing a card from a deck. The objectives vary between things like "take objective 1" or "kill an enemy unit in melee", they're pretty fun.

The cards are just a convenient way to generate and keep track of the objectives.

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I love this dumb plastic 12" ruler they put in the starter box. It's got little sci-fi space markings on it and is useless for most weapons in the game, but at least it's not that damn whippy stick again.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Has anyone compared the mission cards from last edition to this edition?
    I bought the tac objective deck and the Dark Eldar deck last edition and i wonder if i can just use those again this edition

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »
    I bought the tac objective deck and the Dark Eldar deck last edition and i wonder if i can just use those again this edition

They are different. I haven't done a 1 to 1 comparison but the new one has cards that didn't exist before

• Options
    OgotaiOgotai Registered User regular

They are different. I haven't done a 1 to 1 comparison but the new one has cards that didn't exist before

A couple guys were trying them out last week here. Were saying that they were not as terrible as some of the ones from last edition, no kill a flyer or kill a building, but it was still incredibly easy to draw an entire hand of nothing but objectives that are functionally impossible to complete due to circumstance of a particular match up while your opponent can draw all stuff he can do in a single turn. And the missions still didn't have a great way to account for that. Their initial opinion seemed to be same as last edition, can be fun & different way to play, but need to be house ruled heavily to be close to fair.

But they are more positive than I was about them last edition, if someone wanted to use them I'd just offer to flip a coin and let that say who wins, felt like that would have about the same results.

• Options
    Badablack wrote: »
    I love this dumb plastic 12" ruler they put in the starter box. It's got little sci-fi space markings on it and is useless for most weapons in the game, but at least it's not that damn whippy stick again.

I left so many wicked bruises on people with the whippy stick.

• Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    Re: black primer

One of the best painters I ever met didn't prime his orks. Painted then with apple barrel craft paints. He could do a boy to a good tabletop level in 3-5 minutes.

I watched him do an avatar in 20 minutes that was better than what most people can do in a day.

Fuck him.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Ogotai wrote: »

A couple guys were trying them out last week here. Were saying that they were not as terrible as some of the ones from last edition, no kill a flyer or kill a building, but it was still incredibly easy to draw an entire hand of nothing but objectives that are functionally impossible to complete due to circumstance of a particular match up while your opponent can draw all stuff he can do in a single turn. And the missions still didn't have a great way to account for that. Their initial opinion seemed to be same as last edition, can be fun & different way to play, but need to be house ruled heavily to be close to fair.

But they are more positive than I was about them last edition, if someone wanted to use them I'd just offer to flip a coin and let that say who wins, felt like that would have about the same results.

I disagree. I like objective play because it favours highly mobile armies (which is the exact type of army I enjoy playing) and dynamic play, rather than more boring "try to kill everything" or "stand completely still for 5 turns then rush over to grab the objectives" play that you often see with the more classical eternal war missions.

Plus, we always house ruled that literally impossible objectives (e.g., kill a psyker when you're playing against tau) are automatically discarded. (We're going to continue using this house rule.) And with the new rule allowing you to spend a cp to exchange and objective card, that should take care of a lot of the variance.

Even without that last rule, I've found that the quality of the objectives drawn over a match tends to even out. Much like the dice rolls.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    I'm unhappy that they decided to keep "claim objective at the end of your turn" rather than 'claim objective at the START of your turn". It's such a small change that keeps the main problem of "oh, I drew this card and I guess now i get a VP and there's nothing you can do about it". If it's at the start of the turn, your opponent has their turn to react to it.
    That said, some of the objectives look more interesting. I like the multiple-turn ones.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular

One of the best painters I ever met didn't prime his orks. Painted then with apple barrel craft paints. He could do a boy to a good tabletop level in 3-5 minutes.

I watched him do an avatar in 20 minutes that was better than what most people can do in a day.

Fuck him.

So what you're saying is either you haven't met any good painters or you have no standards.

• Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular

Fuck him.

So what you're saying is either you haven't met any good painters or you have no standards.

I do have a whole mess of marines painted by you, so...

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Threw together a quick list mainly going with "what I have what is painted". It's more stuff then I thought it would be, a lot of things are cheaper than I thought but holy shit is some stuff more expensive (here's looking at you stormraven)
    8th edition marine list

Battalion Detachment
    Captain in cataphract armour
    Combibolter
    Chainfist
    Model 126
    Gear24

150 total

Librarian
    Bolt pistol
    Force stave
    Model 93
    Gear 14
    Total 107

Tactical squad
    10 man
    Missile launcher
    Plasma gun
    Sergeant grav pistol power axe
    Models 130
    Gear 38(squad) 13 sarge
    Total 181

Tactical squad
    10 man
    Missile launcher
    Flames
    Sarge bolt pistol chain sword
    Models 130
    Gear 34 sarge 0
    Total 164

Scout squad
    5 man
    Missile launcher
    Sniper rifles
    Camocloaks
    Models 55
    Gear 56
    Total 111

Rhino
    Stormbolter
    Model 70
    Gear 2
    Total 72

Rhino
    Stormbolter
    Model 70
    Gear 2
    Total 72

Stormraven gunship
    Twin assault cannon
    Skyhammer launchers
    Hurricane bolter sponsons
    Typhoon missile launcher
    Model 172
    Gear 130
    Total 302

Detachment total 1159

Vanguard Detachment

Chaplain
    Crozius
    Plasma pistol
    Model 72
    Gear 7
    Total 79

Sternguard veterans
    5 man
    2 combo grav
    2 combo plasma
    1 combi melta
    Models models 80
    Gear 83
    Total 163

Vanguard veterans
    5 man
    Relic blade
    Two pairs lightning claws
    2 power swords
    2 plasma pistols
    Jumppacks
    Models 90
    Gear 69
    Total 159

Terminator squad
    5 man
    Storm bolters
    4 power fists
    1 power sword
    Models 155
    Gear 94
    Total 249

Contemptor Dreadnought
    Keres autocannon
    Dreadnought Melee weapon
    Combibolter
    Model 98
    Gear 67
    Total 165

Detachment total 815

1974 total
    6 command points
    Power rating
    41 vanguard Detachment
    61 battalion
    Total 102 power rating

• Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    I've also been working on a list, for Thousand Sons. I'm not sure how the FW index books interact with the Legion keyword rules in the main index but I'm going to assume they're OK.
    Battalion Detachment - 1941pts

Ahriman (1) - 131pts
    1 Ahriman

Exalted Sorcerer (1) - 101pts
    1 Exalted Sorcerer: Inferno bolt pistol,Force stave

Exalted Sorcerer (1) - 101pts
    1 Exalted Sorcerer: Inferno bolt pistol,Force stave

Helbrute (1) - 132pts
    1 Helbrute: Reaper autocannon,Helbrute fist with combi bolter

Rubric Marines (10) - 264pts
    1 Aspiring Sorcerer: Force sword,Inferno bolt pistol
    1 Rubric Marine: Boltgun,Inferno boltgun,Icon of Flame
    1 Rubric Marine: Boltgun,Soulreaper cannon
    1 Rubric Marine: Boltgun,Warpflamer
    6 Rubric Marine: Boltgun,Inferno boltgun

Chaos Land Raider (1) - 369pts
    1 Chaos Land Raider: Twin heavy bolter,2 Twin lascannons,Havoc launcher,Combi-bolter

Hellforged Contemptor (1) - 199pts
    1 Hellforged Contemptor: Deathclaw, Hellflamer, Ectoplasma Cannon

Hellforged Rapier (1) + Chaos Space Marine Crew (2) - 116
    1 Hellforged Rapier: Laser Destroyer
    2 Chaos Space Marine Crew

I've got 59 points to spare, but I've run out of things to proxy in that Thousand Sons can (or maybe can) take. All these models are technically Heresy Era models as well, save the ones I'm going to be borrowing.

Chrysis on
    Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options

Fuck him.

I do have a whole mess of marines painted by you, so...

YES THAT WAS THE JOKE.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Badablack wrote: »

I have a bunch so I cut them to sizes. I have a 3" pile in measuring stick, 1" combat one and a 9" deepstrike deployment one.

It's enormously handy.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    So, I'm a pretty dedicated minis player but I have been out of the GW games for quite awhile (and all my models are in mom's attic, thousands of km away). However, I've been pretty pleased with what I've seen from the new edition, and I'm thinking of picking up an Eldar army when I'm back in North America. Does anyone have any recommendations on things to get or avoid?

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The first reports so far seem to be that flyers, Farseers, Wraith Guard and Blades, and Serpents are pretty good.

Support platforms on the other hand seem to be the biggest no-go due to their point costs.

• Options
    A tactic that I didn't see when facing IG on Saturday, but I wish I'd seen. I charged some guard with my blood claws, who messed 'em up pretty good. I really wish the IG player had used his two squads to try withdrawing from CC, shooting with the other unit then assaulting, then next turn withdrawing and shooting/charging with the previously withdrawn unit, etc. forever. He'd have been able to deny my blood claws their assault bonus AND keep pumping in shots, all while tying my squad up for awhile.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    With an officer nearby they could even both keep shooting every turn, which might be more valuable than having all the lasguns of one squad fire twice if the units have special/Heavy weapons.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    With an officer nearby they could even both keep shooting every turn, which might be more valuable than having all the lasguns of one squad fire twice if the units have special/Heavy weapons.

With the better officer that can give two orders, one squad could fall back and rapid fire, and the other squad could double rapid fire. Guard seems really fun in this edition. Though I am not sure if I am ready to collect another swarm army. Also, I kind of want a new sculpt for the basic trooper before I get them.

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    So, I'm a pretty dedicated minis player but I have been out of the GW games for quite awhile (and all my models are in mom's attic, thousands of km away). However, I've been pretty pleased with what I've seen from the new edition, and I'm thinking of picking up an Eldar army when I'm back in North America. Does anyone have any recommendations on things to get or avoid?

Pick what you like the look of as most stuff seems to be pretty good; GW have said they're going to release books which will address balance issues.

Outside of the haemonculus covern, you can pick stuff from Craftworld and Dark Eldar and Harlequins and lump it all in the Ynnari if you can't pick which type you want.

Edit: maybe stick to plastic stuff in the hope the non-plastic gets updated? I doubt we'd see such a thing this year though.

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »

Pick what you like the look of as most stuff seems to be pretty good; GW have said they're going to release books which will address balance issues.

Outside of the haemonculus covern, you can pick stuff from Craftworld and Dark Eldar and Harlequins and lump it all in the Ynnari if you can't pick which type you want.

Edit: maybe stick to plastic stuff in the hope the non-plastic gets updated? I doubt we'd see such a thing this year though.

I had heard something about this but don't really understand it - do you take a penalty for having multiple factions (? if that's the correct term)?

The main draw for me is I like the Eldar aesthetic, particularly their jetbikes, hovertanks, and aircraft - not as keen on the Dark Eldar, their vehicles make me think of flying barges in Return of the Jedi. Also look like they would be fun to paint. One of the miniwargaming guys has fielded a Harlequin army with three of their transports, which look pretty cool.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular

I had heard something about this but don't really understand it - do you take a penalty for having multiple factions (? if that's the correct term)?

The main draw for me is I like the Eldar aesthetic, particularly their jetbikes, hovertanks, and aircraft - not as keen on the Dark Eldar, their vehicles make me think of flying barges in Return of the Jedi. Also look like they would be fun to paint. One of the miniwargaming guys has fielded a Harlequin army with three of their transports, which look pretty cool.

Basically you whole army has to share a single keyword, and units in a battalion must share all keywords, but your allowed too, for example have some imperial guard, some marines and a knight and that's fine because there all "Imperium". You've got a limited number of battalions and the ones that give you higher command points (for doing various good things) require more units. Mixed armies are going to have less of these points overall.

The eldar thing is a recent lore change where they woke the god of the dead they have been making in the craftworlds. Effectlviy it's a third eldar army faction that draws units from the two others.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    At the moment the only disadvantage to mixing subfactions like Craftworld, Dark Eldar, and Harlequins is that a bunch of abilities and psychic powers don't work on each other.

When a codex comes around there will also be stratagems that only work if you are single faction GW has said. We have no idea when that will be though.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    A tactic that I didn't see when facing IG on Saturday, but I wish I'd seen. I charged some guard with my blood claws, who messed 'em up pretty good. I really wish the IG player had used his two squads to try withdrawing from CC, shooting with the other unit then assaulting, then next turn withdrawing and shooting/charging with the previously withdrawn unit, etc. forever. He'd have been able to deny my blood claws their assault bonus AND keep pumping in shots, all while tying my squad up for awhile.

Yeah, this is the tactic I'm planning with my Blood Angels, alternating Death Company and Terminators.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

Norgoth wrote: »

Basically you whole army has to share a single keyword, and units in a battalion must share all keywords, but your allowed too, for example have some imperial guard, some marines and a knight and that's fine because there all "Imperium". You've got a limited number of battalions and the ones that give you higher command points (for doing various good things) require more units. Mixed armies are going to have less of these points overall.

The eldar thing is a recent lore change where they woke the god of the dead they have been making in the craftworlds. Effectlviy it's a third eldar army faction that draws units from the two others.

This isn't true. All units in a detachment must share the same faction. But they don't have to share all faction keywords. Just at least one faction keyword.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Yeah, this is the tactic I'm planning with my Blood Angels, alternating Death Company and Terminators.

Oh did I open a dictionary to the entry for Heresy? Because that's some Grade A heresy right there.

• Options
    Norgoth wrote: »

Units in a detachment need to share only one keyword, the rulebook gives an explicit example to this effect.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Fury of the Ancients Vanguard Detachment

I like how GW is putting up odd detachment combos already.

Want a BA detachment of nothing but dreads? We got you covered.

u7stthr17eud.png
This discussion has been closed.