As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CoH/CoV] Chat: Big patch! Spring Fling event! ITT we plan Accualt's wedding.

• Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    thesunking wrote: »
    I don't know if this has been discussed before, but how would one obtain the costume options that were offered during the past holidays? I'm somewhat concerned that I need the greek toga for one of my characters.
    Magic.

Seriously though, unless it was something awarded by an item turn in that you can still accomplish (like the Halloween extra costume slot), there's no way to get it any more. If/when they repeat the event you'll have a chance, but not until then. Sucks, I know.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    guruslothgurusloth Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I think the toga was from the new year's event, so that might be coming around again.

Not sure though.

gurusloth on
  • Options
    thesunkingthesunking Registered User new member
    edited December 2007
    that seems pretty stupid. why can't I just buy it or have a recipe drop? You wouldn't be discounting the people who got it while currently subbed because it would be free for them, but for those of us not cool enough to have been in since launch, it's kind of a bummer.

looks like my greek god wanna-be is gonna have to look like he's standing in line for a goth rave a little while longer...

thesunking on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    thesunking wrote: »
    I don't know if this has been discussed before, but how would one obtain the costume options that were offered during the past holidays? I'm somewhat concerned that I need the greek toga for one of my characters.

Your best bet is to wait for them to roll back around next year. The toga was for Valentine's Day about 2 years ago (and last year in addition to a couple of new things) and this winter we get some Santa-style stuff.

Anyone remember the amount of bitching there was because of the requirements need to get the laurals?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It's absurd to me that in a game dominated by a need to create multiple characters, those options are only unlocked on ONE character.
    I mean honestly, what are the odds of someone doing that mission line with a character who's going to want to wear a frickin' toga?

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    SpongeCake wrote: »
    It's absurd to me that in a game dominated by a need to create multiple characters, those options are only unlocked on ONE character.
    I mean honestly, what are the odds of someone doing that mission line with a character who's going to want to wear a frickin' toga?
    I totally agree with this. Same deal for crafted costume pieces and unlockable costume parts, imo. If you have the badge you should be able to use it on any character. The only exception I could see is the vanguard parts, those make sense because they're individually purchased like pieces of armor or whatnot.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    aunsoph wrote: »
    As it is, there's something like 4-8 faces for each gender that I use time after time on my characters. Hairstyles seem to have this problem as well, although it has been lessened by the addition of all these awesome new styles. Several of the old ones look atrocious or clip so much it's not even funny. May I also add that the way they handle hats is ridiculous? So I can't choose to have something other than a ponytail with my baseball cap? Really?

Well the way they handle hats is still a problem endemic with all 3D games; there's no easy way to simulate 'proper' hair so the hat has to be a seperate kind of 'hair'. Even very advanced, modern games share this issue.
    And by the way: Hey, let's please NOT treat tights as body paint? White in particular looks very strange. Also; standardize certain textures and patterns. There's no excuse for not having Tights Sleek gloves or boots. [...]

I've been pining for a matte chest for years now.
    urahonky wrote: »
    SpaceDrake wrote: »
    It's the faces really. Everything else actually still looks pretty good but the faces are horribly horribly dated now. They look like something from the early PS2 era, you can't even customize eye color. I'm really hoping the extra coding and art help they're getting will be focused on rebuilding the facial options somewhat, so that eye color and facial expression and whatnot is all separately customizable.

C'mon... If you're complaining about not being able to change eye color there's a problem. Seriously, this game is a billion times more customizable than the next MMO you can state. Eye color isn't even that big of a deal if you ask me.

The funny thing is: the more you allow someone to do something broadly, the more the details stand out. In a game like WoW where characters basically can't be customized much and most people end up looking the game you don't really care about things like eye color, but in CoX the more control you have over your appearance the more you want control over everything. "Oh, I can get my upper and lower body just right, but I CAN'T CONTROL MY EYE COLOR OR CHANGE MY FACIAL EXPRESSION JUST SO?!?! BLAAAAAAAAAGH NERD RAGE." By making the characters so customizable in most respects, the areas in which the customization falls down somewhat stands out even more.

As far as CoX graphics in general go, with some comments about things like the new hair: CoX is suffering from a problem I've seen come up in a lot of older MMOs lately. As these kinds of games go on, their artists get better and better at their job, and new tools become available to them. You end up seeing the results in game and new stuff always looks amazing... but then the old stuff starts to look really, really dated. Even WoW suffers from this to some degree; check out very old, early areas of the game like, say, the dwarf or human starting areas and compare them to, say, Outland. It's almost like two different games. I think with the new team coming in, it is coming up on time for CoX to get a "Trinity Upgrade" like EVE did this week; not only have a general overhaul of the dated stuff, but also have some work done under the hood, to take advantage of everything modern hardware is capable of. For all their boot.ini fobiles the new EVE engine is really, really good and I think CoX would benefit greatly from a similar upgrade.

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Scooter wrote: »
    I don't like the bind, I just set it to the default channel and use the A icon.

I shall add that as well.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I do think CoX players get a bit spoiled. Power Customization definitely shows it to me...what other MMO, or any game really, do you get control over the appearance and animation of your attacks and such without the use of modding? Most CoXers act like it should've been standard, but it's no surprise to me that the devs never had the idea occur to them that it would be expected when they were coding things.

Scooter on
  • Options
    SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Scooter wrote: »
    I do think CoX players get a bit spoiled. Power Customization definitely shows it to me...what other MMO, or any game really, do you get control over the appearance and animation of your attacks and such without the use of modding? Most CoXers act like it should've been standard, but it's no surprise to me that the devs never had the idea occur to them that it would be expected when they were coding things.

Oh, in a way we're spoiled for sure, and Weapon/Power Customization really shows that and makes games like WoW look like a bad joke in terms of building a character... but it's like I said, once the can of worms is open, the worms go all over the place. When you can control how your weapon looks, what color it is, what weapon is in each hand, but you can't make weapon size independent of character size or edit your eye color or something you feel it even more keenly.

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The lack of foresight when it comes to customizing the tint of power effects is pretty sad. Hell I was on the CoH boards two or three years before launch asking if I'd be able to pick the color of my laser eyes. I was also asking if there was a full on optic blast set or if we could choose the part of our body our powers animated out from. I can understand not having multiple animations or positions for effects to come from but not having multiple colors to chose from was just silly. The first mods that became super popular for Freedom Force were simple colorization of powers that took all of 10seconds in photoshop.
    SuperGroups are kinda surplus to requirements really - they just fuel Acc's ungodly thirst for Prestige to build bases.

Someday, SOMEDAY men will crash against our bases as futilely as tides against rock. With our wealth and Items of Powers tucked away in these great fortresses we Allegories and Afflictions will be likened onto gods!

Accualt on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Servers just went... kabewm.

Ah well. I dinged level 12 a bit before it happened. Man, grouping in this game rocks.

KiTA on
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Wow. The Defiance changes make Blasters feel like ranged Brutes.

This is a good thing, by the way.

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Goddamn you login server!

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I was set for some MM action. I thought if I spent the oh 1 hour making a random char it would come back.

I was wrong.

Now I continue to wait for this to come back, or Aquaria to be released.

Kai_San on
  • Options
    SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Mysst wrote: »

s05ep02.jpg

I waited for you, Mysst...

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Riale wrote: »
    I saw a screenshot with the UI in it and they even reuse icons from WoW, and blatantly recolor/mildly alter other ones. It was pretty sad, actually.
    Pics or it didn't happen.

Glal on
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Mysst wrote: »

s05ep02.jpg

I waited for you, Mysst...

That dog totally doesnt have the same affect anymore.

Kai_San on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Anyone know why certain servers are down?

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The west coast servers shat a brick for some reason. We don't know.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Wallhitter wrote: »

Is that a Proc IO or something?

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    As of 3:20 PM Pacific (6:20 PM Eastern) on Friday, Dec. 7th the West Coast servers are not available to log into. We are aware of the issue causing this and working to resolve it as quickly as possible.

Our apologies for the interruption and thanks in advance for your understanding.

That's a few hours before it happened to me, but, yeah. I imagine their ISP shit itself.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    KiTA wrote: »

Defiance is the Blaster inherent ability. Fury is the inherent for Brutes. Defiance before the changes gave a damage bonus for Blasters depending on how low there health was. Meaning that as their health dwindled their damage went up. It was extremely flawed. Fury gives brutes more damage for attacking. Possibly taking damage as well. I'm not sure on that so Duck or someone else would have to chime in on that.

The new version of Defiance on test now gives Blasters the ability to fire their Tier 1 and 2 primary powers as well as their Tier one secondary power while mezzed. In addition to that they receive a damage bonus for attacking. The bonus last around 8 seconds and depends on the power used. They can be stacked. Which means that fast attack chains and constant attacking can make a Blaster dish out quite a bit more damage than normal. Single targets and snipes giving a higher bonuses would be in most cases the initial attacks followed by AoEs, cones and melee. Which may or may not change some peoples playstyle.

I want to test if snipes can be activated then interrupted, but still give the damage bonus. I can't because with Virtue being down I am unable to copy my Blaster over to test with the freespec we got today.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Macro9 wrote: »

Defiance is the Blaster inherent ability. Fury is the inherent for Brutes. Defiance before the changes gave a damage bonus for Blasters depending on how low there health was. Meaning that as their health dwindled their damage went up. It was extremely flawed. Fury gives brutes more damage for attacking. Possibly taking damage as well. I'm not sure on that so Duck or someone else would have to chime in on that.

The new version of Defiance on test now gives Blasters the ability to fire their Tier 1 and 2 primary powers as well as their Tier one secondary power while mezzed. In addition to that they receive a damage bonus for attacking. The bonus last around 8 seconds and depends on the power used. They can be stacked. Which means that fast attack chains and constant attacking can make a Blaster dish out quite a bit more damage than normal. Single targets and snipes giving a higher bonuses would be in most cases the initial attacks followed by AoEs, cones and melee. Which may or may not change some peoples playstyle.

I want to test if snipes can be activated then interrupted, but still give the damage bonus. I can't because with Virtue being down I am unable to copy my Blaster over to test with the freespec we got today.

Blasters also received an increase of 12.5% to base ranged damage.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Anyone wanna get on Test and run around looking badass in Enforcer gear?

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Sigh... When's the server coming back up? :(

urahonky on
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Corvus wrote: »

...which has quite rightfully left defenders scratching their heads.

Poor defenders. Defiance sucked, and needed to be fixed, so good for blasters. But defenders have been in steady decline since the day this game was released, and haven't received any love at all. Here's hoping they get a look, next.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Those changes really do sound awesome, except that devices still sucks.

Damnit, if I'm going to play a ranged class, don't make my second powerset have so many melee powers.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited December 2007

I completely forgot that.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Septus wrote: »

Damnit, if I'm going to play a ranged class, don't make my second powerset have so many melee powers.

The ranged attacks don't have a minimum range on them. You can still build up a good bonus and fire off a powerful melee attack.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    So yeah, things I've learned during the downtime.

1. Blinding Feint apparently lasts 10 seconds, has a 12 second recast, and a 2 second... casting time? Not sure I buy that last bit, but yeah. Apparently 1 DO/SO will make it perma, 1 IO will let you stack it with itself. It's also only a "closure" skill for combos, so if I ignore that combo (which is just a bigger version of Blinding Feint), I can open with BF, buffing my entire attack chain.

2. High Pain Tolerance, the first skill in Willpower, can be slotted with a Steadfast: Res/Def to give you 3% DEF across the board -- that's always on. Apparently it's a "6 slotter" -- 3 healing, 3 resists.

3. Willpower has FOUR toggle: selfs -- 1 for physical, 1 for elemental, 1 for mental, and 1 that doubles your Regeneration for every mob in Melee range. (Max of +1000% Regen for being surrounded by 10 mobs). Granted, you probably won't have all 4 on at once, but... So yeah. Fitness (for the extra Endurance regeneration) is apparently a must for the set, which is fine by me, as I was probably going to take it anyway...

KiTA on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So is there an east coast server we're dicking around on until they fix the west coast datacenter?

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Septus wrote: »

That's not the problem with /Devices, that's the way all Blasters powersets are set up. Ranged primary, and mostly melee secondary (with a couple buffs/utility powers). Devices has its own problems.

But anyway, the new Defiance and the damage increase should make my energy/energy a very impressive damage dealer. And shooting while mezzed... awesome. It's all a really nice change for blasters. Of course, I do wish they'd done this a long time ago, so I wouldn't have had such a terrible time around I4 being outclassed in every single way by nigh-unkillable scrappers. But hey, them's the breaks and the game's a lot better now in many other ways, too.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Is there any way to make a private base?

I'd love to have my own batcave.

I only ask because I am confused as to why there are multiple bases on the list when i goto the base portal.

some i can go to, and some like the warcraft base, that I cant.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    arcath wrote: »

I only ask because I am confused as to why there are multiple bases on the list when i goto the base portal.

You could quit PAs Supergroup and make your own. You would start with nothing and have to earn everything. Which would take a long time solo.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    ProfessorPolycarpProfessorPolycarp Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So yeah, things I've learned during the downtime.

1. Blinding Feint apparently lasts 10 seconds, has a 12 second recast, and a 2 second... casting time? Not sure I buy that last bit, but yeah. Apparently 1 DO/SO will make it perma, 1 IO will let you stack it with itself. It's also only a "closure" skill for combos, so if I ignore that combo (which is just a bigger version of Blinding Feint), I can open with BF, buffing my entire attack chain.

2. High Pain Tolerance, the first skill in Willpower, can be slotted with a Steadfast: Res/Def to give you 3% DEF across the board -- that's always on. Apparently it's a "6 slotter" -- 3 healing, 3 resists.

3. Willpower has FOUR toggle: selfs -- 1 for physical, 1 for elemental, 1 for mental, and 1 that doubles your Regeneration for every mob in Melee range. (Max of +1000% Regen for being surrounded by 10 mobs). Granted, you probably won't have all 4 on at once, but... So yeah. Fitness (for the extra Endurance regeneration) is apparently a must for the set, which is fine by me, as I was probably going to take it anyway...

1. The activation time is 1.33 seconds. Surprisingly, it makes a pretty big difference (more so in PvP but hahahah CoX PvP).

2. I don't know about making 6 slotting HPT a priority, the base resists aren't that incredible (3 slots for +10% more hp though, for sure). I can maybe see it on a tank for late game; this would get you pretty close to capped smash/lethal when Strength of Will was running.

3. Rise to the Challenge doesn't double regen for every mob in range. Mids is showing +100% for the first target, and +25% for every target in range up to 10--if I can trust it, that's across ATs. 3 slotted for heal you get roughly double (or a bit less than 200 + 50*10). You can get about +1000% if you add 3 slotted fast healing and heal.
    You could toggle manage, but you can run without fitness and all 4 toggles if you slot an end redux in each toggle and each attack. Fitness is still a good pool regardless, esp. since WP has no end drain resist.

ProfessorPolycarp on
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    arcath wrote: »

You could quit PAs Supergroup and make your own. You would start with nothing and have to earn everything. Which would take a long time solo.

Just reading the forums and seeing this guy talk about how he had a base with his son, at the same time a base with his SG.

So what are the other bases besides "my base" on the portal selection for? why are some red that i cant get to?

sorry for nub questions, just trying to figure this out.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    LepLep Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Coalition'd SG bases, some of the SGs in the coalition don't have bases so they show up red.

Lep on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    You could toggle manage, but you can run without fitness and all 4 toggles if you slot an end redux in each toggle and each attack. Fitness is still a good pool regardless, esp. since WP has no end drain resist.

Indeed! I especially want the run and jump enhancements in Fitness. I'm just concerned as to what powers I'll need to give up to take it all.

If I'm understanding it right, at level 50 I can take every one of my Primary and Secondary, and 5 other powers. Well, 2 are already gone (Teleport Foe and Group Teleport). If I take the last 3 in Fitness I'll be all set. I can also give up a few of the DB/WP ones -- the Taunt, for example, as well as Resurgence / Strength of Will, I'd think...

Hm. That means that I might actually be able to take an Epic Pool too -- someone suggested Energy, for the knockback....

Edit: Which apparently doesn't exist for scrappers. Hah. :)

KiTA on
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Indeed! I especially want the run and jump enhancements in Fitness. I'm just concerned as to what powers I'll need to give up to take it all.

If I'm understanding it right, at level 50 I can take every one of my Primary and Secondary, and 5 other powers. Well, 2 are already gone (Teleport Foe and Group Teleport). If I take the last 3 in Fitness I'll be all set. I can also give up a few of the DB/WP ones -- the Taunt, for example, as well as Resurgence / Strength of Will, I'd think...

Hm. That means that I might actually be able to take an Epic Pool too -- someone suggested Energy, for the knockback....

Edit: Which apparently doesn't exist for scrappers. Hah. :)

You get a total of 24 power choices..so your entire primary and secondary +6. I guess technically 23 power "choices" since you are locked into the first power from your secondary.

Gear Girl on
This discussion has been closed.