As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WARMACHINE & HORDES] 1+1=Cyriss is calculating... calculating... seven! And you're dead.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Huh, I actually missed somehow the Company of Iron announcement, which is a more squad-based skirmish rule-set.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    So I have a ton of old Trollbloods minis I'm trying to sell. Does anyone know if Bartertown is still the best site for that?

• NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    No more books

Ok, that actually makes sense given how great War Room is. There is an excerpt in there though which sounds crazy:

"Once the Skorne Command book releases in September, Privateer Press will no longer publish supplemental books for WARMACHINE & HORDES, with the exception of a Force book each year corresponding to the annual release of a new Faction for the games. Instead, all content committed to print for WARMACHINE & HORDES will be found within the pages of No Quarter Prime." (emphasis mine)

I'm assuming it will be like the mini-faction releases (Cryiss, Ceph, Grymkin), right? Even still that seems crazy!

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Yeah, there's a ton of confusion and speculation about that phrasing.

Ok, glad it wasn't just me

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Hopefully we'll get more clarification on that, but it seems unsustainable and bad for the game. These companies already make decisions based on what will sell models and struggle to balance that with what's good for the game, and if they decide to bloat their faction lists with new models instead of tackling the very real balance issues in every faction, then I'd be likely to quit.

The CID stuff shows they're willing to tackle the clear issues and make radical changes, though, so we'll see how these first major balance changes and the first CID faction come out

If the "new factions" are subfactions like Cephalyx, that's kind of a different story. That might be a good model and more plausible to develop over the course of a year.

• TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular

If the "new factions" are subfactions like Cephalyx, that's kind of a different story. That might be a good model and more plausible to develop over the course of a year.

I think these new factions are at most on Grymkin/CoC level - not a full faction.

I think it'd probably work best if it was just bringing up the sub-factions inside factions so you could play a legit theme force of that theme.

Like the Trenchers thing. More of that. Or maybe a massive volley of new Rhul stuff.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    My personal guess is that some of the more mature factions will be split up to create at least some of the "new" factions.

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    So thanks to the SE++ Tabletop thread and the PA Warmachine Journeyman League videos, I decided to start up wargaming again. I haven't played since about 5 years ago, but it's coming back pretty quickly.

First game - Battlebox - My Khador versus Cryx (new battleboxes). The Cryx player set up to do a harpoon to win the piece trading on jacks but failed to damage so no pull came in. That let me feat and rush down his arc node and Helldriver. He managed to kill my Juggernaut, but not without letting my Decimator get in range of his warcaster.

Second game - 25 Points - My Khador versus Cryx - I ran Sorcha with 2 min sized units of Winter Guard Riflemen (proxied) with 4 rocketeers and the battlebox jacks. The Cryx player ran one of the new Cryx warcasters with a Kraken, two leaping light jacks, and 2 or 3 soloes. I am pretty sure he threw the game so I would win, as he left his warcaster in the open a few inches from his Kraken. This let Sorcha feat and my Winterguard nickel and dime him to death.

Third game - 75 Points - Big boys time. I ran Irusk 1 with a Wardog, Jugg, Decimator, full Winterguard Conscript, UA, 3 Rocketeers, Kovnik Joe, 2 Mortars, Full Black Dragon Pikemen, and Full Man'O'War Shocktroopers. He ran Butcher 1 with Wardog, Eryss (??? The focus assassin), Two Devastators, Ruin, a Spriggan, and Two Juggernauts. We ran a 2017 L&L scenario with two side circular zones capturable by infantry and a rectangle in the middle capturable by jacks. The first two turns were positioning, with Inhospitable Ground forcing him to give me the charge.

My BDP charged in. mini feated, and killed one Juggernaut and almost killed his Spriggan, which only had both arms left. Man'o'War shield walled to cover Irusk, who had feated and battle lusted the BDP. I had fed the Decimator focus and it hit Ruin twice, shoving him back far enough to limit his soul gain. My WG killed Eyrss and his other anti-magic solo, as well as dinging Ruin with a rocket and CRA.

His counterattack was, as expected, brutal. Butcher Feated and cast his jack boosting spell. His two Devastators both used their ability to blow up to drop pow 18/9 ae's around them. The first one had 6 super-tough success, but the dice went just as cold for the second. Ruin then came in and using the 3 soul tokens he had gained killed 4 more, meaning I was looking at a 5 focus Ruin next turn. His Spriggan killed two more BDPs, leaving only 2 left. His Jugg went for the Man'O'War and managed to knock one down to 1 box left. At this point, I was feeling pretty good.

On my next turn, I battle lusted the Man'O'War and pulled Irusk back. My opponent then showed me how you could charge while staying in a front arc to get your 3" and the boosted damage die, so the 2nd Jugg went down. I had the Winterguard CRA and rocket into Ruin, leaving him moderately damaged. My focused up Decimator then sawed him to bits, although it was a very close thing to killing Ruin. But I really didn't want to deal with him all loaded up and murderizing. One of his Devastators moved over to the left side and killed several winterguard. The other finished off the BDP.

On his turn he had one of his Devastators support the Spriggan on the MOW. They killed the injured one and hurt another, but nothing else. Butcher came over and showed me how little regard he has for armor 20, almost murdering my Decimator with two focus camped (and one used to upkeep iron flesh). The Decimator only had 2 boxes left, both cortex. His 2nd Devastator, still untouched, killed more WGC.

And this is the turn where I messed up and cost myself the game. I fed 3 focus into the Decimator, upkeeping Superiority, and keeping 3. The Devastator had killed everything in his melee range, leaving me with 6 or 7 models left in the WGC unit. So I decided to take a gamble and boost the hell out of them to try and take down Butcher. So, Joe gave them Bear's Strength (+4 Str) and took a shot at his wardog, missing. Irusk then moved up, battle lusted the WGC, and shot down the Wardog. My Decimator then boosted his attack against Butcher, needing a 7 to hit. And, because his arms were out, only getting 1 die. So boosted, and miss. Buy an attack, boosted hit, miss. It was at this point that I realize I would only be able to get a maximum of two WGC to charge the Butcher. So they did, and both missed on a hard 9. So my gambit of going for a bunch of Power 12 + 4d6 fell apart. In hindsight, I should have just walked out the useless decimator and had Joe use For The Motherland. But live and learn.

On his next turn, he can't get to Irusk, so his Dev kills even more WGC. Butcher finishes off my Decimator. And the other two jacks stay stuck in with my MoW as they slowly grind each other apart.

At this point, I've got 4 WGC (1 rocket, UA, and 1 grunt), Joe, Wardog, Irusk, the MoW, and 2 mortars. Notice how I haven't mentioned the mortars all game? That's because against an all jack army, they aren't that great. However, this turn one of them redeemed himself by missing the Butcher and deviating directly onto my remaining 4 WG, killing them. So I'm about to have an undamaged Devastator and Butcher against Irusk, Joe, and my Wardog. I decide to go all in on Butcher. Joe charges, needing a 7. Miss. Wardog charges, needing an 8. Miss. Irusk charges, uses assault, misses, charge boosts to hit, needing a 7, hits, and deals 8 damage with 5 being bought off. So now I have 6 focus and Irusk at 7's to hit, pow 12 vs arm 20. All six extra attacks miss.

Butcher then murders my wardog and Irusk.

It was a goddamned fun game!

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I was kind of leaning back towards trying to play Cryx instead, which probably would have ended up with me being disappointed, but looking through the new models Ret got semi recently and I'm definitely probably going to try and go with them instead again still. Although I probably won't be able to get any models until ~October, and by that point will have changed my mind at least three more times.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    edited June 2017
    Battle engine CID is now live! Warroom is flipping out and buggy, but cards.privateerpress.com has them.

I might buy a second Wraith Engine eventually. They're really good!

Edit: omg, Necrosurgeons can now collect from any living or undead models, but they can also revive and sac pawn any small based thralls with those corpses. They're really handy with Carrion Thralls now.

Evil Multifarious on
    I missed the announcement about it, but the new CID cycle's started. This time it's for Trolls, and they're doing a NorthKin theme force,

There's some really cool stuff in there, like the three-man Bear Handlers unit (BEARS!), the new Hooch Hauler battle engine, a Borka2 rework...

persona4celestia.jpg
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    They're also letting testing letting themes take a single Merc unit/solo. Nice that Reinholdt is finding his way back off the shelf for Cygnar (at least in Sons).

Apparently they already had to warn that you can't get a free Rorsch and Brine in Heavy Metal.

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    They're also letting testing letting themes take a single Merc unit/solo. Nice that Reinholdt is finding his way back off the shelf for Cygnar (at least in Sons).

Apparently they already had to warn that you can't get a free Rorsch and Brine in Heavy Metal.

Yeah, so we can have the good ole days of everyone having Eiryss or Orin or whatever to fill in the gap that their theme list doesn't deal with well.

I don't like the merc thing.

I don't mind specific mercs being allowed in specific lists (e.g. if a necrotechnological theme like Infernal Machines allowed Gorman the alchemist, if a hunting theme allowed Alten Ashley), but allowing any unit or solo? Come on.

It's not like the stronger themes even need help, either. I'd like to see all of them nerfed, personally, even my own faction's (ghost fleet is very thematic and restrictive, which is good, but it encourages running four infantry units, which is very time consuming...)

So wait, did I read that right, and the bears in the Bear Handler unit are still warrior models right?

So the Hooch Hauler can hand out Stumbling Drunk to them.

DRUNK. BEARS.

Borka is so proud.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    I don't like the merc thing.

I don't mind specific mercs being allowed in specific lists (e.g. if a necrotechnological theme like Infernal Machines allowed Gorman the alchemist, if a hunting theme allowed Alten Ashley), but allowing any unit or solo? Come on.

It's not like the stronger themes even need help, either. I'd like to see all of them nerfed, personally, even my own faction's (ghost fleet is very thematic and restrictive, which is good, but it encourages running four infantry units, which is very time consuming...)

Yeah I don't think allowing some mercs in theme forces is a terrible idea on its own, but they definitely need to fine-tune the particulars. Factions like Ret and the two limited release guys have a very small pool of mercs available to them, while the big four in both Warmachine and Hordes have just about a whole other faction's worth of stuff to play with.

I think a good compromise would be what you said, allowing a small list of thematically appropriate mercs in each theme. Like how Savio can already be included in the storm knights theme.

Is the official grymkin release at Lock and Load? If yes, will Warroom be updated as well?

• TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Yes and Yes.

Cards are live in Warroom

Some upcoming releases revealed at Lock and Load.

Cryx is getting Skarre 3, who is a huge based range support caster who reinforces living units. The model is the front end of a ghost pirate ship.

Hysterical.

I hear the word "Dracodile" was used. Missed the keynote myself.

persona4celestia.jpg
    PMAvers wrote: »

Yup, big Gatmorman colossal, man eater, critical blind spray, melee focus, great animus (creates shallow water within 5")

Gatormen also got some kind of maggot spitting dude and some frog trappers (and a conjoined twins frog caster?)

Gatormen are really pushing to be my second faction...

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »

Yup, big Gatmorman colossal, man eater, critical blind spray, melee focus, great animus (creates shallow water within 5")

Gatormen also got some kind of maggot spitting dude and some frog trappers (and a conjoined twins frog caster?)

Gatormen are really pushing to be my second faction...

Dracodile was always the trigger for me to go Gator, guess I've got no excuse now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2IwzOneJuM

omg Farrow Valkyries are finally coming omg

persona4celestia.jpg
    Just an fyi, cards.privateerpress.com does have the Arcana cards and a "how to use Arcana" thing with the actual rules for them.

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    There's a pretty extensive RPG attached to it too.

Oh yes. I am very well aware of that, and I both play and run it. No so much anymore, but my group and I had a great time with the IKRPG.

If you have Unleashed I've been looking to play a game of that for as long as I've had the books.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    There's a pretty extensive RPG attached to it too.

Oh yes. I am very well aware of that, and I both play and run it. No so much anymore, but my group and I had a great time with the IKRPG.

If you have Unleashed I've been looking to play a game of that for as long as I've had the books.

I DO have Unleashed. And I ran a short IRL campaign with my buddies last year. Scarsfell Trolls (PC's) vs. Everblight's newest (and now dead) warlock and her growing collection of Spawn. It was a lot of fun. If we ever pick up that campaign again for another chapter, I'm taking them south.

I've loved the Trollkin ever since I first saw the picture of the little dude, riding the big dude, and firing a mounted gatling gun. (I have since leaned that it was a Dire Troll Blitzer.)

I'd love to play in a game too...But since I'm already running a D&D pbp here, I don't have the time/energy to run an Unleashed game too. If someone else wants to run a pbp, though, I would be ALL over that!

Steelhawk on
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I've tried running PbP games as a DM before and it never worked out unfortunately, I can definitely see the appeal of GMing but I find it difficult to do it well.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I've tried running PbP games as a DM before and it never worked out unfortunately, I can definitely see the appeal of GMing but I find it difficult to do it well.

Yeah. That happens a lot. I'm on my second pbp and what little success I've had is due to me not being afraid to push my players to actually participate.

I @ people a lot and keep the game moving because slow-downs are game killers. I'm of the opinion that if the GM is still willing to play and push others to play, then the game will do Ok. Also, sometimes you need to railroad. I know player choice is huge in rpgs, but the pbp format is not forgiving to dilly-dallying and too much deliberation on any given choice.

But my sample size is low and I might be biased. :)

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I've got a ton of old Cygnar / Trollblood / Rhulic stuff that I wanna sell. All maybe a decade old, or older? All pewter.

What's the best way to sell this stuff? None of my local FLGS deal in miniatures, let alone Warmachine in particular?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Barter Town and any local Facebook groups are usually the best bet.

Warmachine isn't a great seller right now, though. Expect to struggle if you're trying to get >50% MSRP and sell in bulk.

So for Rask, besides "lots of Bog Trogs" is there any recommended builds? I've got a Blackhide Wrastler but mostly Rask is supposed to be pretty flexible so I don't know where to start. I was hoping to use at least one Gatormen Posse with him as well as some Trogs either in the form of ambushers or shamblers.

edited July 2017
    So for Rask, besides "lots of Bog Trogs" is there any recommended builds? I've got a Blackhide Wrastler but mostly Rask is supposed to be pretty flexible so I don't know where to start. I was hoping to use at least one Gatormen Posse with him as well as some Trogs either in the form of ambushers or shamblers.

This is kind of tricky, because the Trogs want to ambush, but he wants them nearby so he can use them for call to sacrifice. I could see using one full unit for ambush and a min unit just as an escort.

Gatormen Posse in theme is pretty strong, especially with his Fury spell. They're worth taking for sure.

The other reason you want a min unit of Trogs (or even a second max unit!) that doesn't ambush is fury management. Gators seem like they often want two gobber chefs and some warrior models to sacrifice for fury clearing. That's also a great use for the Bokor and his undead trog swarm.

For beasts, a lot of people just seem to take Rask and two wrasslers, since they're so good, as well as Wrongeye and Snapjaw. If you're in theme and you get some free points, people seem to go for a Totem Hunter first, and then maybe get the Bull Snappers, which you can just throw into combat since they're so cheap.

I don't know if he can call to sacrifice on the Bokor's Shamblers. They're called bog trogs but they don't have the keyword underneath. That would be a great cheap option to throw in if so.

Edit: oh none of them do. Perfect. That's the best meat shield/fury food unit I think.

Evil Multifarious on
    Yeah advice I was getting on another forum suggested I take the Bokor and Shamblers and that normal trogs aren't really worth it, though they also said that due to torpor snappers were kind of terrible. I'll probably get one to paint but I don't know if it would be something I field generally speaking.

edited July 2017
    Yeah snappers are kind of bad, sadly. I personally love cheap light melee beasts, though they have little place in the game

The real strength of the Gators seems to lie in their enormously powerful casters and their access to Rage.

Evil Multifarious on
    So here's the list I'm thinking of going with right now don't know if it adds up, army builder says it should but I don't know if it's up to date.

At 35 points
    Rask
    2x Blackhide Wrastlers
    1x Bokor and Shamblers
    1x full Gatormen Posse
    1x Mist Speaker

At 50 points list is the same but replace the Mist Speaker with Wrongeye and Snapjaw.

So here's the list I'm thinking of going with right now don't know if it adds up, army builder says it should but I don't know if it's up to date.

At 35 points
    Rask
    2x Blackhide Wrastlers
    1x Bokor and Shamblers
    1x full Gatormen Posse
    1x Mist Speaker

At 50 points list is the same but replace the Mist Speaker with Wrongeye and Snapjaw.

Hm, if you're in theme, as you should be, you'd get that Speaker for free and have two points left, which you could fill with gobbers (either one bellows team or two chefs)

At 50, with W&S, you'd still have a free solo and could​ take the Speaker for that slot

Ah that's even better, chef would probably synergize well with the Shamblers and I've heard Rask isn't the best for fury management and what the bellows team can do is mostly covered by the mist speaker and Rask IIRC.