As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars] The Last Porg (TAG ALL SPOILERS)

Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
edited December 2017 in Debate and/or Discourse
This thread contains spoilers from The Force Awakens and Rogue One.

Rules as follows:

Tag spoilers for movies that aren't out yet. (Han Solo movie, The Last Jedi)

No need to tag movies that have already been released.

Star Wars is upon us once more. In a movie directed by Rian "Looper" Johnson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB4I68XVPzQ

Picking up where The Force Awakens left off, we have:
rey-the-force-awakens-jakku.png

Daisy Ridley as Rey

150px-John_Boyega_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg

John Boyega as Finn

tumblr_o0ljx7eq251sjda3co2_400.jpg

Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker

Maz_Kanata-Force_Awakens.jpg

Lupita Nyong'o as Maz Kanata

300?cb=20170610004141

Domhnall Gleeson as General Hux

Poe_Dameron-Force_Awakens_%282015%29.png

Oscar Isaac as Poe Dameron

MV5BMTM0OTA0NjU0MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTUzNjk3Nw@@._V1_UY317_CR4,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Adam Driver as Kylo Ren

Discuss all Star Wars related topics here, but don't let Han shoot you first.

Harry Dresden on

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I like the character Kylo Ren. I'm excited to see where they take him!

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    I liked the character. Though I do feel like he might be intended as a bit of a jab at the kind of geek that tends to almost fetishize (in a non-sexual way*) iconic villains like Vader, Sephiroth, Magneto, Nolan's/Ledger's Joker, etc.

*sometimes also sexually.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    I thought the idea of him struggling with the call of the light side was kinda interesting at first, but after thinking about it for a while it just seems kinda lame.

I mean, the dark side is the easy side. It's the side of impulse and indulgence. People struggle to avoid falling to the dark side because the thoughts and actions that lead there come naturally.

Fearing you might fall to the light side is like worrying you might accidentally become a monk. That's not how that works.

I wonder if Anakin ever floated around in his bacta tank wondering if he was evil enough.

RT800 on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Being tempted to the light side and discovering that he wasn't evil enough is literally what happened to Anakin at the end of Episode VI.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    RT800 wrote: »
    I thought the idea of him struggling with the call of the light side was kinda interesting at first, but after thinking about it for a while it just seems kinda lame.

I mean, the dark side is the easy side. It's the side of impulse and indulgence. People struggle to avoid falling to the dark side because the thoughts and actions that lead there come naturally.

Fearing you might fall to the light side is like worrying you might accidentally become a monk. That's not how that works.

I wonder if Anakin ever floated around in his bacta tank wondering if he was evil enough.

The idea of the light side tempting him... isn't supposed to be how the Force really works, but rather how Kylo rationalizes his true feelings/nature to himself. He's not actually a bad person, and doesn't like what he's doing, but he's somehow been manipulated into thinking that the dark side is his true calling. It's a way of externalizing something he sees as a weakness in himself. Kind of like how some homophobic gay people try to suggest that things they were exposed to "made them gay".

At least, that was my take-away.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

The idea of the light side tempting him... isn't supposed to be how the Force really works, but rather how Kylo rationalizes his true feelings/nature to himself. He's not actually a bad person, and doesn't like what he's doing, but he's somehow been manipulated into thinking that the dark side is his true calling. It's a way of externalizing something he sees as a weakness in himself. Kind of like how some homophobic gay people try to suggest that things they were exposed to "made them gay".

At least, that was my take-away.

Yes. He's desperately trying to be Darth Vader, his imagined ideal of the cool badass dark side boss, but he can't stop the feelings within himself saying what he's doing is wrong. He feels weak and he attributes that weakness to the fact that he still has a conscience. He wants to be strong and that means being evil and not caring and so he desperately tries to do that.

• Options
    I like the character Kylo Ren. I'm excited to see where they take him!

Yeah, did not expect to like him as much as I did.

• Options

Anakin, no. Darth Vader, yes. He knows his powers are fueled by that, plus he hates himself and has nothing to live for.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    He is just really bad at his job and is a terrible user of the force.
    Snoke patronizes him, General Hux openly shows his contempt against him, he fails every single task (but one), he gets shot by a blaster, his force sense ability is so bad Han sneaks up on him without trying, he almost loses a lightsaber battle to a stormtrooper, he does lose every encounter with a person who just awakened to the force hours ago, and given how little it takes to set him on a tantrum he probably destroyed more of Starkiller base than Poe Dameron.

He's basically the Rusty Venture of Star Wars; no wonder he turned to the dark side

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    @Paladin not sure why you put them in spoilers, but:
    "Force sense ability"... sounds like your applying videogame/EU logic to things. Thinking only of the films, I'd think the force only prevents you from being snuck up on if you're actively 'scanning' for it, as opposed to using the force for something else. Lastly, one's power with the force seems to have a lot to do with having clarity of mind, and a focus with specific intentions. Kylo is deeply conflicted; Rey is anything but. *shrug*

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Paladin wrote: »
    Snoke patronizes him, General Hux openly shows his contempt against him, he fails every single task (but one), he gets shot by a blaster, his force sense ability is so bad Han sneaks up on him without trying, he almost loses a lightsaber battle to a stormtrooper, he does lose every encounter with a person who just awakened to the force hours ago, and given how little it takes to set him on a tantrum he probably destroyed more of Starkiller base than Poe Dameron.

He's basically the Rusty Venture of Star Wars; no wonder he turned to the dark side

Because he's still a rookie. Despite all that he was the biggest threat to everyone in the movie.
    He wasn't taking Finn seriously, once Finn got a hit in he KOed him in seconds. Kylo didn't lose to Rey in their first encounter, he stomped her like a bug.

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular

Because he's still a rookie. Despite all that he was the biggest threat to everyone in the movie.
    He wasn't taking Finn seriously, once Finn got a hit in he KOed him in seconds. Kylo didn't lose to Rey in their first encounter, he stomped her like a bug.
    Yeah, and he was critically injured during that entire fight. Kylo's a goober, but he's a dangerous one. Hux seems like his jealous- after all, his family was always loyal to the Empire, while this upstart born of rebels gets special treatment just because he's got magic. And Snoke absolutely views Kylo as a superweapon that just happens to talk.

That said, Finn is a rookie janitor who took on the grandson of Darth Vader the second time he had ever touched a lightsaber and didn't die, so I'm going to put that in W column.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Please make spoiler rules clear for the thread, @Harry Dresden

For both TFA (not sure this still needs to be discussed in spoilers) and The Last Jedi.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    The entire First Order is a part-time militia version of what was the Galactic Empire (unexpectedly combined with the industrial design veneer of an Apple Store). Kylo Ren being a half-assed version of is hero, his own mental picture of Darth Vader, and Hux being a half-assed version of his idol, Governor Tarkin, without the volume control. I wouldn't be surprised if Snoke ended up being a half-assed version of Emperor Palpatine, with an even sillier name.

Their general performance largely reflects this, the surprise comes when somehow the Imperial National Guard somehow manages to hallow out a whole planet into a fairly devastating superweapon that, before its inevitable destruction, they use said weapon to immediately to destroy a bunch of planets--enough to arguably count as a 'W'. For all that half...assed...ness, they try and be practical.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    W?

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    W?

I'm guessing "Win". For certain values of win.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    W?

Sorry--"A notch in the win column."

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Thankies, thought I'd missed something! :lol:

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

Being tempted by the Light Side basically means he has second thoughts about what he's doing. He wonders if his parents aren't in the right. He doubts the power of the Dark Side. Basically he has a functioning conscience that he's actively ignoring, unlike other Dark Siders who believe they are in the right the whole time.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Man, the gulf between what we'll want as special features on the Han Solo release and what we're gonna get will be parsecs wide.

Edit: Hollywood Reporter with the story.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-han-solo-movie-firing-new-details-behind-phil-lord-chris-miller-exit-1016619

Sounds like Lucasfilm wanted to do it like Rogue One...
    But Lord and Miller were not prepared to have Kasdan become a shadow director. With an impasse reached, Kennedy finally pulled the trigger. The next day, when the crew was told that Ron Howard would take over as director, sources say they broke into applause.

Doctor Detroit on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    There's been rumors and unsubstantiated news flying around from the Axing of the Han Solo directors. There's talk that Lord and Miller were making more of a slapstick comedy and the writers were really unhappy with it. From what I've read, the writers were at an impasse with the directors and had to go straight to the producers. It is said that the producers and directors got into a heated argument. Supposedly the directors had a creative freedom clause in the contract that they kept falling back on right until the moment they were fired. Further details emerged today that lend credit to those claims. It appears the editor has also been fired and acting coaches have been hired. It seems Lord and Miller were trying to film as little as possible so the studio couldn't edit down their vision.

I went and watched Apollo 13 this weekend and it got me really excited for Han Solo. Ron Howard knows how to do space.

• Options
    Clus
    Ter
    Fuck

Holy crap, I have zero hope for this movie now.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »
    Clus
    Ter
    Fuck

IDK man. Ron Howard directing give me faith. Apollo 13 was a fucking amazeballs movie.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    It's probably not the best idea to insist on the original release date in these circumstances, but I guess the marketing train is hard to stop.

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    THIS is the kind of bullshit dilution of the Star Wars magic that I was complaining/worried about before the release of Rogue One. THIS kind of shit that's been going on around Han Solo.

Now, I was very very pleased with how Rogue One turned out. Very. Will I be as pleased with this one? I remain very skeptical.

I'll still fuckin' pay to go see it though. The bastards. :)

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    There's been rumors and unsubstantiated news flying around from the Axing of the Han Solo directors. There's talk that Lord and Miller were making more of a slapstick comedy and the writers were really unhappy with it. From what I've read, the writers were at an impasse with the directors and had to go straight to the producers. It is said that the producers and directors got into a heated argument. Supposedly the directors had a creative freedom clause in the contract that they kept falling back on right until the moment they were fired. Further details emerged today that lend credit to those claims. It appears the editor has also been fired and acting coaches have been hired. It seems Lord and Miller were trying to film as little as possible so the studio couldn't edit down their vision.

I went and watched Apollo 13 this weekend and it got me really excited for Han Solo. Ron Howard knows how to do space.

mpb7ql5yaoty.jpg

• Options
    Counterpoint: Joe and Anthony Russo. I remember a lot of head-scratching going on when Marvel announced "those guys from Community" would be directing Captain America.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

For both TFA (not sure this still needs to be discussed in spoilers) and The Last Jedi.

Harry, still haven't gotten a clear answer here. Sounds like this thread is open spoilers but I want to make sure to clarify that.

• Options
    Clus
    Ter
    Fuck

IDK man. Ron Howard directing give me faith. Apollo 13 was a fucking amazeballs movie.

Ron Howard isn't directing this. Ron Howard is coming in to try and salvage this thing with some reshoots. Assuming the rumours that he's a beard for one of the writers/producers doing that instead aren't true. Either way that's a very different situation then "Ron Howard makes a Star Wars movie".

• Options
    Clus
    Ter
    Fuck

Ron Howard isn't directing this. Ron Howard is coming in to try and salvage this thing with some reshoots. Assuming the rumours that he's a beard for one of the writers/producers doing that instead aren't true. Either way that's a very different situation then "Ron Howard makes a Star Wars movie".

From what I can tell, they're basically throwing out all the footage that was shot and starting over again from scratch. I'm expecting a lot of that Ron Howard polish. Pietro Scalia, the guy they brought in the edit the thing has won 2 Oscars. I'm cautiously optimistic. We've got an entire year before release. I'm sure the majority of the CGI work is finished. You spend a few months shooting, a few months editing and you still have a few months for reshoots and tweaks before it has to go to print.

• Options
    Clus
    Ter
    Fuck

From what I can tell, they're basically throwing out all the footage that was shot and starting over again from scratch. I'm expecting a lot of that Ron Howard polish. Pietro Scalia, the guy they brought in the edit the thing has won 2 Oscars. I'm cautiously optimistic. We've got an entire year before release. I'm sure the majority of the CGI work is finished. You spend a few months shooting, a few months editing and you still have a few months for reshoots and tweaks before it has to go to print.

That would be the only way I could see this not being a clusterfruitcake.

• Options
    Clus
    Ter
    Fuck

That would be the only way I could see this not being a clusterfruitcake.

I agree. If they start trying to reuse existing footage it'll be an absolute mess. Worse than the hack job they did on SS.

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Counterpoint: Joe and Anthony Russo. I remember a lot of head-scratching going on when Marvel announced "those guys from Community" would be directing Captain America.

Fair, but the Russo's didn't try to make it a comedy. Winter Solider is still the most steadfastly serious movie in the MCU, and it'll probably stay that way for awhile.

Usually, I'm all aboard for the "creative freedom, down the executives" train, but things are different when you're playing in an established franchise. You've got to strike a careful balance between keeping in line with fan expectations and going off and doing your own thing. That's part of why Rogue One worked so well, I think, as it managed to feel like Star Wars while doing things we didn't expect. Maybe they were going to do the same thing Han Solo, maybe not- but all the reports seem to suggest they were more concerned with making their movie than making a Star Wars movie. I just think that's the wrong tack to take when you're been invited to play in someone else's playground.

Nobody wants a film version of Karen Traviss' approach to doing Star Wars.

• Options

Harry, still haven't gotten a clear answer here. Sounds like this thread is open spoilers but I want to make sure to clarify that.

It'll be open spoilers, I'll clarify that in the title.

• Options
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    THIS is the kind of bullshit dilution of the Star Wars magic that I was complaining/worried about before the release of Rogue One. THIS kind of shit that's been going on around Han Solo.

Now, I was very very pleased with how Rogue One turned out. Very. Will I be as pleased with this one? I remain very skeptical.

I'll still fuckin' pay to go see it though. The bastards. :)

Lucas himself got there years before Disney touched Star Wars, and I'm not worried. Worst case scenario this'll be a misfire (this was bound to happen eventually), they have a great track record so far and managed not only to repair the damage from the prequels gave the franchise but made them reach new heights creatively and financially which has been lacking in the films for decades. It's a film 'verse which equals the Clone Wars TAS cartoons, rather than anchors it.

• Options
    Open spoilers? Like for everything?

• Options
    Hey Star Wars fans, still a bit unclear as to what exactly to do with my spoiler rules - so before making a final decision on how to do this I want to do a bit of research from the posters participating. What are the usual rules regarding recent movies in these threads? And how many would prefer 1) not to have open spoilers for them or 2) spoilers strictly for those films?

@So It Goes Any advice where I should go with this? Making a Star Wars thread is more complicated than I thought. :)

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited June 2017

How many establishing scenes did we have demonstrating how powerful a bowcaster shot was vs your average stormtroooper? Then Kylo takes a shot to the hip, and survives, and still goes off to fight. Not to mention the fact that despite Snoke telling Kylo that killing Han would make him stronger, it actually mentally fucked him up, and he felt 'weaker' as said in the novelization.

I always felt that the 'Pull to the Light' is your conscience, countered by your resolve. Vader, for instance, had an iron clad resolve in his purpose - that's why he is so effective during the purge and r1, etc. That resolve doesn't crack until Empire Strikes Back when Luke chooses to fall to his probable death rather than join him. That 'broke' Vader, and he is significantly weaker in RotJ because of it.

I think the same thing with where Kylo is right now. He doesn't have an Iron Clad resolve, and when he has time to reflect on himself his conscience starts nagging at him.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    Hey Star Wars fans, still a bit unclear as to what exactly to do with my spoiler rules - so before making a final decision on how to do this I want to do a bit of research from the posters participating. What are the usual rules regarding recent movies in these threads? And how many would prefer 1) not to have open spoilers for them or 2) spoilers strictly for those films?

@So It Goes Any advice where I should go with this? Making a Star Wars thread is more complicated than I thought. :)

I think we've pretty much all seen the most recent movies. IMO we should mark spoilers for the movies that havn't come out yet but no need to mark them for a year old movie.

• Options

I think we've pretty much all seen the most recent movies. IMO we should mark spoilers for the movies that havn't come out yet but no need to mark them for a year old movie.

I actually still haven't seen Rogue One yet (I want to watch it the first time with my sister who's a film buff & big Star Wars fan, but our schedules haven't lined up for it), but yeah I think anything approaching a year old is probably fair game.

camo_sig2-400.png
This discussion has been closed.