As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Can't stop the [PHOTO]

• SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    @oldmanken In general I find that if you're buying gear you intend to use for some time, spending the money upfront is never regretted. If you're not sure WHAT kind of photo you want to get into, I would get the 18-55 kit lens, since it's super flexible. If you already know what sort of photos you want to take, and the 35mm is a good fit for that, a nice prime lens is often a good option.

@Fawst Maybe I'll give it another go!

Also, I finally put the CPL I bought a while back on my lens, and holy moly! Especially for landscape, this could be a big deal. (Now I'm afraid I bought a cheap one though, haha.)

• oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    I'm actually leaning toward the X-E2S which I can get with the 18-55mm, with the expectation of using it for 1.5-2 years. It's the older sensor (16mp X-TransII), but the image quality is supposed to be very good, and I think it may end up being a good camera to grow into (judging by reviews). AF tracking is apparently not as good as the newer Fuji's, but will probably suffice since I don't plan to be doing any significant action shooting. If the X-T20 comes into stock with the 18-55mm before I pull the trigger, I will likely go for it (extra $150), but I think the X-E2S is probably a decent choice to start out with.

Also, if I go this route I think I'll probably pick up the 35mm in September when I pass through Tokyo, as they come out tax free (10%) and you get an additional discount for using a Visa (5%)... so a $400 lens for under $350 or so (when accounting for exchange rate).

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    I have a bunch of micro 4/3 stuff, and it's just fine. I think the lens selection is better for u43 than the other options at that size, because you have both Olympus and Panasonic making lenses as well as third party options, but Fuji and Sony also have a decent range, so unless there's a specific lens you're after for some reason it shouldn't matter too much.

I went with Olympus because I had (full-size) 4/3 before that, and I had _those_ because I had Olympus film cameras, so it's mostly a coincidence -- that said, I've been very happy with the stuff I do have. Build quality is fine -- both my bodies have been beaten up a lot because I don't care enough to try and keep them intact any more, and they're working fine. (heck, the E-M1 I have was used and had 230,000+ shutter activations when I got it and is still going strong, though it's pretty brassed-looking). There's niggles, of course; I lost a bunch of eyecups on the e-m5mk1, and the e-m1mk1 has a sticky rear dial by now, but for general use they're pretty tough. (these were the 'pro' ones when they came out, though, so they're all metal and stuff -- not sure about the e-10mk2's build)

Image quality is perfectly fine, IBIS is very nice (I've managed sharp images handheld with 300mm lens at 1/15th of a second, or one-second exposures handheld at the wide end -- and it works with manual lenses too, which is handy), tracking AF is more than good enough for me on the e-m1, though if you want to shoot sports seriously you still want a FF camera, as far as I know.

And, yes, the size is very nice -- I can fit a body with the 12-50 lens in a jacket pocket, which covers an awful lot of everyday shooting plus macro(ish) plus weathersealing if it's rainy; stick an 8mm fisheye and the 75-300 in another pocket and that's good for pretty much anything, with maybe the tiny 45/1.8 for portraits. (faster/sharper lenses exist, but are bigger and heavier and more expensive, so I generally err in the direction of the lens that I'll bother to take with me. I like to take photos while I'm hiking, rather than hike somewhere to take photos, if you see what I mean).

Pricewise, I dunno, let's take a look. Looks like B&H have the E-M10II+12-50 on sale a lot right now, and the 40-150 is small, light, cheap, and good enough to be worth buying at that price to get more telephoto range (if that's your thing). Their x-e2s kit is significantly more expensive, though the lens is faster than the 12-50, which is nice (though less close focus, as far as I can tell).

TL;DR: I suspect either will do just fine, as would the Sony equivalents -- if you can manage to get your hands on them in the flesh, that's probably your best bet, because a camera that you enjoy using is a camera that you'll use more, image quality aside. I liked the Olympus bodies / aesthetic, because they felt familiar from old OM film bodies, but that probably doesn't matter as much to you.

djmitchella on
  • GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    Yay! Good to see you back @Gafoto. Great group of shots, looks like you're still getting to travel a lot? That second one is gawjus, that from somewhere in Utah?

I get out quite a bit. There isn't another good reason to live in Utah! The second photo is of The Wave a formation in far northern Arizona.

sierracrest.jpg
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Damn this place is hoppin' now.
    @Bubs welcome!

@Sublimus I rarely auto ISO on my fuji as I feel it usually overexposes or goes too high with the ISO. I guess I could just underexpose to compensate and limit the max if it has the capability... going to have to play with that a little bit! Haven't ever used auto ISO on my 6D though.

@muninn Those grays are indeed pretty amazing. If butter was gray, I believe it would contain the grays from your photo haha.

@Kashaar the foot view photo pretty much nails the feeling I get from being at a park on a Sunday.

@djmitchella Those first two I absolutely love though - I didn't even notice the camera strap.

Did show photos for a local DJ group who are friends of mine. The club they're playing at monthly now, put in new custom lighting - it's amazing and it wasn't even finished when they played.
    35432495525_4ec08dc841_c.jpgRollin by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

35302773471_44fc41f437_c.jpgWether or not by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

I just got a new freelance gig doing product photos for a local startup. Also ordered a new zoom lens so I can work on a new project I've had floating around in my head for a while now using off camera strobes with wildlife.

Prospicience on
  • SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    @Gafoto You're in Utah?? I'll be out in SLC in a few months and want to play in the mountains. Any good suggestions?

@Prospicience Awesome shots!

I recently learned about a lens skirt and how it cuts down on reflections. Going to build a cheap one real quick and mess around in some hotels!

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Picked up a Canon 50mm 1.8 STM this afternoon. Woohoo! The world of sub-3.5 aperture photography is now open to me! lol

Also picked up a Gorillapod SLR Zoom with ball head for $45 at Best Buy. Cheapest I've seen those, especially for coming with the ball head.

edited July 2017
    Here are some shots of a storm I took last week. The first three on my iPhone (the first I got manually, managed to hit the shutter just right; other two were caught in 150-shot bursts I was taking in anticipation of the flashes), the last on my 70D--it's painfully obvious how touched up it is, and the noise is depressing. Eh, learning still. (Amazingly, the clouds were the least-edited in that last pic. It's just a slight exposure adjustment.)

4odadbrnw60f.jpg

4lscnywwgziy.jpg

yu94e5sopifg.jpg

4fz5tnalf7gv.jpg

Fawst on
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    @Fawst That first one is pretty damn good and I think it could be improved in lightroom or photoshop. The lightning itself should be clipping the whites or nearly clipping the whites. In that photo the whites are just muddy and not brilliant like you would expect from Boomy McElectricity.

So I kind of hate posting sunset photos, but it is really the only thing my lazy ass has taken pictures of recently. I was mostly using this as lightroom experiment/practice time to see what I could do.
    Any thoughts on improvements for the style I am going for? (I.e. saying "don't do that style" it is not constructive.)

35535964642_fdff5d9a3e_b.jpg

35704875355_6a87237022_b.jpg

35536000062_362dae150d_b.jpg

Edit: FYI Maybe this has been discussed before but I noticed that uploading the photos through the forums caused the colors to be off by quite a bit. They were all assigned with an sRGB color profile so I don't know what is happening in the processing before they are getting thrown on the CDN. I replaced them with flickr versions.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
    edited July 2017
    I like, got myself outside and stuff to like totally take photos of fireworks.
    This year I tried my hand at that technique where you do the long exposure while going from unfocused to focused or vice versa.

35617188541_4feac4a2e7_o.jpg

34938829703_8d2fdc2f3e_o.jpg

35579167012_b0dcb47188_o.jpg

34938831073_cb0ce7f55f_o.jpg

35617185851_65556fb34c_o.jpg

35617188211_3e615d9503_o.jpg

35579167312_dd2908cfa2_o.jpg

CommunistCow on
    I made the biggest rookie mistake on the 4th. Grabbed the camera to take a picture of the grill full of my friend's "famous" steak tips, took a pic and--"No Memory Card." I forgot to check that the SD card was inserted before I left the house. Not only that, but I looked right at it sitting in my computer earlier in the day before I went out. On the plus side, I will never* forget to check that again.

* I probably will.

• RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Fawst wrote: »
    I made the biggest rookie mistake on the 4th. Grabbed the camera to take a picture of the grill full of my friend's "famous" steak tips, took a pic and--"No Memory Card." I forgot to check that the SD card was inserted before I left the house. Not only that, but I looked right at it sitting in my computer earlier in the day before I went out. On the plus side, I will never* forget to check that again.

* I probably will.

I had two similar situations.

Once brought the drone and all its gear to do a shoot, forgot the micro SD card...

Another time brought the drone and all gear to do a shoot, forgot my iPad...

* face palm *

At least both times I was only 20 minutes from home but still...

Rothgarr on
    edited July 2017
    My wife uses my camera to take photos of the ceramics she sells and she CONSTANTLY leaves the SD card in the computer. Then she puts the camera in another part of the house.

It is one of my biggest pet peeves.

CommunistCow on
  • KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    My wife uses my camera to take photos of the ceramics she sells and she CONSTANTLY leaves the SD card in the computer. Then she puts the camera in another part of the house.

It is one of my biggest pet peeves.

That would drive me so mad.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
    Welp, finally pulled the trigger and ordered the Fujifilm X-E2S (w/ 18-55 kit lens). I went into a local camera store and got a look and feel for the thing (and the Panasonic GX85), and it seems really well built. Didn't actually purchase it from the camera store, as I had some gift cards from another retailer, but I'll be going back there to grab a decent bag and tripod, and likely some photography lessons.

Really looking forward to trying to get out around Austin to take some shots, before we likely move to Denver in the fall. Also can't wait to bring it to Seoul, Tokyo and Saipan in October.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    My X100F came finally after being back ordered forever

I still haven't sold all my old Nikon lenses and I need to

Hm dunno if I should get the official Fuji hood for it, but that's on backorder so for now I'll get this other brand for way cheaper

Accessories!!!

So I haven't photo'd in forever aside my iPhone - is lightroom still tops for photo organizing etc? I'll probably just be shooting jpeg mostly tbh, $10 a month for adobe cc seems reasonable enough if Lightroom is where it's at

Hm I should probably get an external drive
    What are your guys' setups for photo management?

poo
    Lightroom is pretty much my go-to for organization and editing. I don't pull stuff into photoshop nearly as much anymore. I would still hiiiiighly recommend shooting raw.
    This is probably not what you were asking, but I've found it helpful. I usually load the photos I'm going to be sorting through and processing onto my solid state hard drive. That makes a lot of processing quite a bit faster and then once I'm done there I move everything over to my big spinny disk. Then have an entire backup of that drive.

Yeah hm

Any advice on just how to set things up would be welcome - generally that seems like a good idea

I should probably get some kind of external drives or something hm

poo
    edited July 2017
    Best Buy screwed up my order, which meant I had to cancel my order and then reorder. Well, it wouldn't work, so I just went down to the local camera store (Precision Camera here in Austin), and just bought it there. Memory cards and soft release button came from Amazon today (still waiting on a thumb grip I ordered), and I also picked up a small Domke bag at the shop as well.

Setting everything to auto at the moment, except for aperture, whilst I try to learn a little. Also mostly forced to take photos of the pets here in the house, as I'm in a walking boot at the moment. Anyway, first shot I like of my dog (though I think the focus is not quite right):

35847392085_f4b8f7a662_z.jpgdexy at rest by oldmanken, on Flickr

Love the camera, and so nice to have a view finder (again, my last camera was a Panasonic DMC-LX2). The camera feels really well built, and I am really happy I opted for the one I did.

oldmanken on
    I too like my new fuji

My soft release and thumb grip and wrist strap and screen protector came today

and a spare battery

Now I just need to figure out the whole um getting photos onto my computer thing and putting them in a place people can see them

poo
    oldmanken wrote: »
    Anyway, first shot I like of my dog (though I think the focus is not quite right):

Focus looks okay, it's just a little bit of camera movement, I think -- 80-ish mm (equivalent) at 1/13th (assuming Flickr has that info correct) is certainly possible with IS, but it's getting to the end of the practical range unless you're propping yourself up on something fixed.

I was getting mad watching Jason Lanier vids last night where he's doing this crazy casual one-hand shooting and getting crystal clear shots. He was also shooting at 1/2500, or 1/8000, so that prooooobably had something to do with it.

edited July 2017
    Anyway, first shot I like of my dog (though I think the focus is not quite right):

Focus looks okay, it's just a little bit of camera movement, I think -- 80-ish mm (equivalent) at 1/13th (assuming Flickr has that info correct) is certainly possible with IS, but it's getting to the end of the practical range unless you're propping yourself up on something fixed.

Yeah that's actually pretty impressive for 1/13th, I don't usually shoot less than 1/30th at 50mm. Glad everyone likes their fujis. TBH if I had the money right now (or sponsored by Fuji) I would completely switch over from canon. Really grown to love my X-E2 over the last couple years, film simulation, interface and just the feel of the camera in general really has me with some heart-eyes for Fuji. Not to mention my Instax printer is a party pleaser. For the last couple years when friend's/friend's kids have birthday parties I don't give gifts, instead I take pictures and print out 10 photos before I leave.

Speaking of new toys and hand held shots... I splurged and got a Sigma 5.6-6.0, 150-600mm. Mainly since I've been wanting to get into some flash/wildlife photography for the last year or so and this is a way to kickstart that. Had some pretty good luck my first day shooting with it. I was on the hunt for some sort of bird of prey and came across this Red Tailed Hawk, who shockingly let me get within 10-15ft.

Handheld, 600mm at 1/400th second - this lens's stabilizer is insane...
    35095193223_f19e0d3a79_c.jpgLunch Break by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

Going to have a lot more coming, been shooting like crazy lately.
    35638725781_5b81bd2161_c.jpgGaggles Born of Fog by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

@CommunistCow Damn man! Really love those firework shots, never seen that technique before with fireworks - looks amazing.

Prospicience on
    You damn hipster people and your retro looking digital cameras. GET OFF MY LAWN.

edited July 2017
    You damn hipster people and your retro looking digital cameras. GET OFF MY LAWN.

This comment makes me really just want to do a hipster self portrait. Just to solidify your opinion.

I did this one because I was in a silly mood yesterday and why not. (but also I took a photo of the moon with my zoom and I hadn't done anything with it)
    e7h5a7r8p98w.jpg

Just the moon:
    i6lod88lbku8.jpg

Prospicience on
    Some more photos of birds (mostly crops, all at 600mm equivalent which is as far as this lens goes)

Gck48vU.jpg

pmChvOw.jpg

Qgu6ADP.jpg

BjvCrZj.jpg

Also, re; image stabilisation -- like I said, the Olympus in-body stabilisation is pretty good. This is 1/60th at 600mm equivalent:
    bRZkfR2.jpg

and behind spoiler tags, because it's a crop from an otherwise terrible photo, is a crop from a shot at 1/13th at 600mm equivalent (if the bird had actually been on this side of the feeder it would have been a better shot, but you get the idea as far as stability goes, hopefully). That was sitting down with my elbows against my chest and camera to my face for stability, so I had some help to keep things stable, but still, there's no way I can hold things that steady without some sort of help from the camera).
    Afi6t4g.jpg

edited July 2017
    The whole reason I got this camera was I never used my big ol dslr cuz I never carried it around and I did want to get back into photos

This one I just left on my wrist strap and took around with me out and about in the city which is nice

I brought it to my friend's bday at this bar
    It was pretty dark
    I'm still getting the hang of manually focusing in the dark, and it's been years since I was taking photos much, so I'm basically beginner

So I gotta practice a lot

This came out nicely I thought
    L6XOz3Hl.jpg

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
    edited July 2017
    Just spent a little more on a Yongnuo YN600EX RT II speedlite at a local place than I would have paid online. I can justify it with by saying I satisfied my instant gratification urge, and I'm supporting local. It's a local CHAIN, but whatever. No other decent camera shops around me. Can't wait to try this thing out!

Edit: Now to learn how to use it! Took maybe 10 shots messing around and already drained 1 bar off the battery indicator lol

Fawst on
    edited July 2017
    Fawst wrote: »
    Just spent a little more on a Yongnuo YN600EX RT II speedlite at a local place than I would have paid online. I can justify it with by saying I satisfied my instant gratification urge, and I'm supporting local. It's a local CHAIN, but whatever. No other decent camera shops around me. Can't wait to try this thing out!

Edit: Now to learn how to use it! Took maybe 10 shots messing around and already drained 1 bar off the battery indicator lol

That looks nice! I've got three of the YN560-IV (cheap, don't support TTL metering) and a controller, and I don't use them enough. Here's a self-portrait I took of a my then-new haircut with two of them and some colored gel:

2017-05-07-IMGP7116-small.jpg

I originally got these for controlled photogrammetry lighting, but turns out they're pretty fun for portraits. I hate on-camera flashes, but I love playing with light when they're off-camera!

Here's a portrait of my cat, lovingly held by @Gokerz, as he's being illuminated from both sides by two 60x60cm softboxes:

2017-06-04-IMGP9023-small.jpg

Kashaar on

This comment makes me really just want to do a hipster self portrait. Just to solidify your opinion.

I did this one because I was in a silly mood yesterday and why not. (but also I took a photo of the moon with my zoom and I hadn't done anything with it)
    ....img snip...

You used an eagle instead of a wolf howling at the moon? Three Wolf Moon shirt would be disappointed in you right now.
    But seriously, that is hilarious. :D

Question about LightRoom... If I am bringing in my RAW photos, and doing some editing on them, they don't actually get saved as JPGs until I do an export, correct? Would also be curious to hear how people organize their photos with LightRoom... not sure how I am going to approach that yet.

Question about LightRoom... If I am bringing in my RAW photos, and doing some editing on them, they don't actually get saved as JPGs until I do an export, correct? Would also be curious to hear how people organize their photos with LightRoom... not sure how I am going to approach that yet.

Yep, Lightroom editing is nondestructive.

Personally I organize by date, because everything else would be even more confusing.

• 2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    Hey thread,

I've been working as a commercial videographer, trying to do real cinematography work where I can. I got into photography mostly as a way to keep a camera in my hands between gigs, but it's been a lot of fun.

With these I was trying to make images I wouldn't know how to make as a cinematographer, but I'm not sure if some of it is too over the top? Are they interesting to look at, or is it more just fun for me?

2rKUaOmh.jpg
    jZiYJLWh.jpg
    DeXQ0gkh.jpg

By far the thing I've been struggling with the most is processing colour. I kind of like these pictures, but I think I botched the processing but can't put my finger on why. Sharpness? Saturation? Something feels off. Any ideas?

waIES9Uh.jpg
    bmUMiGih.jpg

@Fawst That first one is pretty damn good and I think it could be improved in lightroom or photoshop. The lightning itself should be clipping the whites or nearly clipping the whites. In that photo the whites are just muddy and not brilliant like you would expect from Boomy McElectricity.

So I kind of hate posting sunset photos, but it is really the only thing my lazy ass has taken pictures of recently. I was mostly using this as lightroom experiment/practice time to see what I could do.
    Any thoughts on improvements for the style I am going for? (I.e. saying "don't do that style" it is not constructive.)

35535964642_fdff5d9a3e_b.jpg

35704875355_6a87237022_b.jpg

35536000062_362dae150d_b.jpg

Edit: FYI Maybe this has been discussed before but I noticed that uploading the photos through the forums caused the colors to be off by quite a bit. They were all assigned with an sRGB color profile so I don't know what is happening in the processing before they are getting thrown on the CDN. I replaced them with flickr versions.

I absolutely love that first picture. Gives a watercolour vibe, but more bold. The colours are perfect: a little surreal, but not cartoony. Beautiful stuff.

Honestly, the silhouettes are kinda not doing it for me? I think I'd prefer them as just colour/texture studies, like the first one. The silhouettes are the least interesting part of the picture, but they kind of take over as the subject, where I think the clouds ought to be.

The super tall cropping of the third image, but just sky gradients? I'd put that on my wall.

@oldmanken

Here's a pretty good workflow video from Phlearn. Once I've gone through and cleaned up my (few thousand) iPhone photos and built a new system, I'll be doing this. It makes sense, and I like smart organization. (Spoilered for thumbnail)

Ah thanks

I need to set up a workflow too

Just got an external drive since my computer is a small MacBook Air and got myself Lightroom

poo
    @Fawst , thanks for that, it's really helpful!

Hey thread,

I've been working as a commercial videographer, trying to do real cinematography work where I can. I got into photography mostly as a way to keep a camera in my hands between gigs, but it's been a lot of fun.

With these I was trying to make images I wouldn't know how to make as a cinematographer, but I'm not sure if some of it is too over the top? Are they interesting to look at, or is it more just fun for me?
    2rKUaOmh.jpg
    jZiYJLWh.jpg
    DeXQ0gkh.jpg

I love high contrast black and whites, but the first one seems a bit weird to me. Was that heavy bloom added in post? It seems a bit like that unnatural bloomyness you get in an overprocessed HDR image. Either way, cool contrast and composition on all of these :) What kind of lens were those shot on?
    By far the thing I've been struggling with the most is processing colour. I kind of like these pictures, but I think I botched the processing but can't put my finger on why. Sharpness? Saturation? Something feels off. Any ideas?
    waIES9Uh.jpg
    bmUMiGih.jpg

I love the colors in the first one, very nicely subdued and moody! In the second one, the white balance seems too cold to me - that blue tint takes away from the image in my opinion.

Kashaar wrote: »
    Hey thread,

2rKUaOmh.jpg
    jZiYJLWh.jpg
    DeXQ0gkh.jpg

I love high contrast black and whites, but the first one seems a bit weird to me. Was that heavy bloom added in post? It seems a bit like that unnatural bloomyness you get in an overprocessed HDR image. Either way, cool contrast and composition on all of these :) What kind of lens were those shot on?
    waIES9Uh.jpg
    bmUMiGih.jpg

I love the colors in the first one, very nicely subdued and moody! In the second one, the white balance seems too cold to me - that blue tint takes away from the image in my opinion.

Thanks! I shot all the black and white ones with a Helios 44M-4 58mm with a split-focus diopter. The split-focus without an extreme foreground element causes all sorts of wacky blurring, blooming and half moon shaped flares/bokeh. The blooming in the first picture was definitely boosted, but on top of what was already there. Too much then? I might try and dial in it a bit.

I tweaked the colour temp on the last picture I think you were right. I dig the blues at the top of the frame, but, like usual, got carried away. Better?

hediM6A.jpg