As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV:Stormblood] The solution to the MSQ block was so simple. Delete Balmung

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Beezel wrote: »
    So BLM vets, how does AOE work now for us? Since Thunder comes in aoe/single target flavors now. Do we still use Fire 2 for anything, How does flare work in now?

I realize that single target is all about throwing as much fire IV as possible while maintaining enochian but I hear we get a better version of Flare at 70 that can be used every 30 sec?

At level 70 this is how I AoE:

Blizz 3 > Thunder 4 > blizz 4 > fire 3 > fire 2 x 2 > flare > flare > convert > flare > transpose > repeat

Flare is still the best AoE even with the 70% drop off on 5+ monsters.

At 70 every 30 seconds you maintain enochian you can cast foul which is a 650 potency AoE that costs 240 mana.

Blizz 4 at 70 allows the umbral hearts reduce the cost of flare by 1/3 mana allowing you to use it twice in an aoe rotation without convert.

You should use thundercloud as it procs but only on thunder 4 if it's 3+ mobs.

So what you're doing here is using your third ice heart charge to reduce the mana cost of Flare so you can immediately cast it again? I just assumed that Flare used up all of your mana, but I guess that assumption was wrong, I'll have to do some testing.

BLM rotations are so hard to learn, I just learned about the trick to starting a fight with Blizzard IV so you can cast Fire IV 6 times or so before you have to go back into ice mode. I'm also not level 70 yet and I just got triplecast, so I haven't worked that into my rotation yet, either.

At level... I wanna say 68? you get a Trait that updates Umbral Hearts to reduce the cost of Flare by 2/3rds of its normal value. Using Flare with any Umbral Hearts active consumes all your remaining Umbral Hearts. So you burn 2 hearts on Fire II, then drop a Flare.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Guys...why are male races so dull? I think I'm growing bored of my male Hyur and I can't make up my mind if I want roll male kitty or join the Lalas.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Ok but what if you were a Roe?

And you spammed the /psych emote all the time.

GET PUMPED!

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    But one handed swords not called Curtana look like a butter knife :bigfrown:

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Beezel wrote: »
    This Shire philosopher hat is nowhere near big enough for my thirst. It needs to be fucking gigantic. Like Hyde's tophat in that League of Extraordinary Gentlemen movie. My Lala should be able to just wear it over her head and punch holes in it to see

Goddammit, Bienfu.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Guys...why are male races so dull? I think I'm growing bored of my male Hyur and I can't make up my mind if I want roll male kitty or join the Lalas.

Male Miqo'te have so much swagger.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »

Every victory brings another ear wiggle.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    CorriganX wrote: »

Every victory brings another ear wiggle.

Catboys are a best

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017

Truefax, if they weren't so damn short I'd be one.

I made one during the pre-start of original ARR because I loved the animations and ears and faces. But dammit I can't be a shorty.

So I switched back to my 1.0 Elezen.

Stupid short cat people.

Although the addition of capes on armors these days makes me glad I don't have a tail.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Any SAM's that are playing on controller? How are you laying out your cross bar? I am having trouble finding a setup that doesn't cause me to get confused mid fight and end up on the wrong bar. So many Kenki abilities and I'm not sure which ones I'm going to be using a lot. I assume Keiten and Guren are used quite a bit. Any others that I should keep really handy? The others I'll probably put on a back bar somewhere.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    There's a SB fight that's better than Vault:
    Love that Yol fight. S much shit flying in that last phase.

There's a few SB fights that are "yo dog, I heard that you like mechanics, so I put mechanics in your mechanics so you can mechanic while you mechanic."
    Sounds like the final fight of Dun Scaith.

"I hope you remembered....well, everything"

Oh, the fun part of that fight is that it had a brand new attack indicator. (Of course, it was just a merger of two prior ones, so it's easy to figure out what to do if you think about it. Still, it's something that nobody had seen before.)

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Oh god my paladin bars were already full stop giving me more abilities to work into rotations ahhhh

I want those paladin pvp buttons for my combos so bad.

• Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Any SAM's that are playing on controller? How are you laying out your cross bar? I am having trouble finding a setup that doesn't cause me to get confused mid fight and end up on the wrong bar. So many Kenki abilities and I'm not sure which ones I'm going to be using a lot. I assume Keiten and Guren are used quite a bit. Any others that I should keep really handy? The others I'll probably put on a back bar somewhere.

I usually have my main rotations on the right hand side (R2 + face button), and common support abilities like Iaijutsu on the left (L2 + face button).

• Options
    I mean that's mostly how I do it, but our main combo abilities are 6 buttons by themselves. That doesn't include AE stuff. Lots'o buttons.

Now that I think of it though, maybe I should move my AE block to a different bar. That seems like a smart mental break point to switch bars, switching between single target an AE.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    My Roe looks like a boss. He's got a big green mullet, a beard, and is pretty much the life of any party.

• Options
    My Roe looks like a boss. He's got a big green mullet, a beard, and is pretty much the life of any party.

Sea Wolf?

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Could you put some of them on extended bar face buttons? That's how I do my mudras on NIN, main combo(s) on R2 face buttons, mudras on R2+L2 face buttons. Used often enough stuff on L1, least often on L1+R2. Etc.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017

Step 1: Don't put anything combat related on a different page. There are plenty of skill spots you don't need to flip anything.

Step 2: New class gauges are a good useful way of keeping things related to them on R2+L2. It doesn't matter that you can't see them because you only need to use them when your gauges show you it's time. For example Iajutsu. There's no CD to track and you know when to use it based on the class UI.

Step 3: I keep my buffs on a double tap. As they tend to have longer timers it's ok to keep them separated a bit but good to see them for the timers.
    Everything else on the face buttons with single press in whatever order works with your brain.

This is my general set of rules for any class but right now I'm playing DRK mainly and SAM on occasion.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    What are "class bars"? I haven't seen those in the UI anywhere. Is it like a class specific hot bar?

• Options
    What are "class bars"? I haven't seen those in the UI anywhere. Is it like a class specific hot bar?

Sorry I meant gauges.

Like the katana gauge and the 3 symbols gauge for SAM.

Skills you use as a reaction to them.

Or for DRK skills that dump blood gauge.

• Options

Step 1: Don't put anything combat related on a different page. There are plenty of skill spots you don't need to flip anything.

Step 2: New class gauges are a good useful way of keeping things related to them on R2+L2. It doesn't matter that you can't see them because you only need to use them when your gauges show you it's time. For example Iajutsu. There's no CD to track and you know when to use it based on the class UI.

Step 3: I keep my buffs on a double tap. As they tend to have longer timers it's ok to keep them separated a bit but good to see them for the timers.
    Everything else on the face buttons with single press in whatever order works with your brain.

This is my general set of rules for any class but right now I'm playing DRK mainly and SAM on occasion.

One thing I added to my setup is a single regular hotbar, where I copied all my main cooldowns. This way, I can quickly see where they are.

• Options
    edited June 2017

One thing I added to my setup is a single regular hotbar, where I copied all my main cooldowns. This way, I can quickly see where they are.

I used to do this.

But between the addition of the double taps and the recent culling of abilities I don't even have all my spot filled up so I haven't found a need for it.

There's sooo much hot bar real estate now.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    And then you play SAM and realize ability creep is still alive and real, they just gave them all to us :rotate:

• Options
    And then you play SAM and realize ability creep is still alive and real, they just gave them all to us :rotate:

Nah. There's still plenty of room.

32 on the front page plus 16 on the R2+L2 and L2+R2

Samurai has 24 buttons plus 5 role actions. That leaves quite a few buttons unfilled.

• Options
    Where are you getting 32 on the front page? There are 16 buttons per page. It's a cross hotbar, that uses 8 buttons and 1 modifier. Unless there is some magic 32-button cross bar I am unaware of?

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    WXHD? Which SE really needs to add to mixed mode (*grumble grumble*).

• Options
    Where are you getting 32 on the front page? There are 16 buttons per page. It's a cross hotbar, that uses 8 buttons and 1 modifier. Unless there is some magic 32-button cross bar I am unaware of?

You can set double tap buttons.

maxresdefault.jpg

32 right thurr

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I don't consider the double-tap buttons to be "front page".

And personal note, I try to only put rarely-used stuff on the double-tap buttons, because the act of double tapping stresses my hands quite a bit.

Like Protect if you're a healer. Use it at the start of an instance, probably won't use again for a long while. That's fine for double-tap. But Reload as a Machinist, I have to put that on R2+L2 or something. otherwise I'm using those twitch muscles way too much.

• Options
    Renzo wrote: »

And personal note, I try to only put rarely-used stuff on the double-tap buttons, because the act of double tapping stresses my hands quite a bit.

Like Protect if you're a healer. Use it at the start of an instance, probably won't use again for a long while. That's fine for double-tap. But Reload as a Machinist, I have to put that on R2+L2 or something. otherwise I'm using those twitch muscles way too much.

That is why I suggested using the double-tap for buffs and long cooldown skills.

They are used infrequently but you still want to be able to see the cooldown. Thus I consider front page because you can still see the cooldown at all times unlike R2+L2.

If you do that you can easily have all your primary active abilities on the single press and not have to flip any pages. All about planning.

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I've never even thought about trying to play this game with a controller

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    Renzo wrote: »

That is why I suggested using the double-tap for buffs and long cooldown skills.

They are used infrequently but you still want to be able to see the cooldown. Thus I consider front page because you can still see the cooldown at all times unlike R2+L2.

If you do that you can easily have all your primary active abilities on the single press and not have to flip any pages. All about planning.

That's a good point. I already try to keep abilities I need to use while moving on the face buttons, but now I'll try to make sure I keep class gauge-related skills off the front page too. I keep some skills on a bar that I use as a monitoring tool. So I can keep on eye on buff cooldowns and other things like Trick Attack on my Ninja. But if I can further simplify and reduce UI, I'll do it.

• Options

I'm on PC and I still use controller over kbam.

Honestly if it wasn't for how well the controller works I probably wouldn't even be playing the game.

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited June 2017

Honestly if it wasn't for how well the controller works I probably wouldn't even be playing the game.

I am intrigued

I might play around with a PS4 controller later tonight..

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options

I am intrigued

I might play around with a PS4 controller later tonight..

It's gonna be weird. There are a lot of little tricks and shortcuts that will seem unintuitive.

Like Forward on the left stick + L1 = auto-run.

Or hold R2 or L2 and press the touchpad to rearrange icons on the cross hotbar. Press R1+ a face button or d-pad direction to switch between hotbars "manually" (there are quick-switch methods)

And so on for...a long time. I think there was a small discussion about this last week, with a few of us offering tips to another player.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    My favorite gamepad trick is binding "dismount" to L3

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I tried controller once and it was okay, but still prefer KBAM.

This game needs a way better targeting mechanic. When I hit Tab I want it to lock on to the closest targets as priority and cycle through them. Not pick someone off in the distance. This gets me murdered in PvP because Displacement requires I be targeting someone in melee range for it to work.

• Options
    Delzhand wrote: »

Never felt any need to, since the default is L1 + R1.

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    I tried controller once and it was okay, but still prefer KBAM.

This game needs a way better targeting mechanic. When I hit Tab I want it to lock on to the closest targets as priority and cycle through them. Not pick someone off in the distance. This gets me murdered in PvP because Displacement requires I be targeting someone in melee range for it to work.

I think there's a setting to make it prioritise the nearest target but this is something someone told me while we were in pvp. I didn't look but should.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    There is an option/configuration you can use, but it doesn't actually work like you expect it to work if you are coming from other MMOs.

Caedwyr on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »

Never felt any need to, since the default is L1 + R1.

Didn't know that at the time. In any case, it was born just as much of a desire to unbind switching between legacy/standard movement.

This discussion has been closed.