As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV:Stormblood] The solution to the MSQ block was so simple. Delete Balmung

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Question about the level cap. I haven't bought the expansions yet, so I know 50 is the cap. Once I finish the ARR MSQ and start in on the 2.1-2.5 stuff, would I be able to start leveling past 50 if I had the expansion, or do I need to complete all of those MSQ first?

Yes, you will level (2.1-2.55 can easily net you 3-4 levels.) So it's recommended to get the expansions (which you can do by buying Stormblood, as it includes Heavensward) when you near 50.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    Enlong wrote: »
    Yeah. I was very much hoping that the Stormblood DRK story could hold up to the 30-50 DRK story. And if it's going where I think it is, it very well could.
    Let me put it this way - Fray's full name is Fray Myste. That should give you a hint there.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Yeah. I was very much hoping that the Stormblood DRK story could hold up to the 30-50 DRK story. And if it's going where I think it is, it very well could.
    Let me put it this way - Fray's full name is Fray Myste. That should give you a hint there.
    oh, I've been made aware.

And even if I'd not been, his dialogue in the level 65 quest would've been enough to make me suspect. And the journal entries getting less objective and more conversational, again.

And, of course, there is the name ("We can never go home") and description ("Myste has been waiting for you a long time") of the next quest. Which reminded me of "Fray was here long before you met."

Enlong on
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Question about the level cap. I haven't bought the expansions yet, so I know 50 is the cap. Once I finish the ARR MSQ and start in on the 2.1-2.5 stuff, would I be able to start leveling past 50 if I had the expansion, or do I need to complete all of those MSQ first?

Once you have the expansion you can level past the cap.

oh, I've been made aware.

And even if I'd not been, his dialogue in the level 65 quest would've been enough to make me suspect. And the journal entries getting less objective and more conversational, again.

And, of course, there is the name ("We can never go home") and description ("Myste has been waiting for you a long time") of the next quest. Which reminded me of "Fray was here long before you met."

68 DRK is a gut punch.
    Basically, we find out what actually happened to the Ala Mhigan man whom we helped in the ARR story in Quarrymill - he gave some of his medicine to his buddy, who did recover when he didn't. (It was his friend who was the Griffin's body double that you met in 3.4.) So as he's laying there dying, you promise that you will go to the altar of Stormblood in Rhalgar's Reach to say a prayer with the shade of his friend, but as you go there, the shade falters, as he's not long for the world.

Long story short, you don't make it. He dies before you get there, and the shade from his memories turns into abyssal energy. We Can Never Go Home, indeed.

Can't read that spoiler yet, but I'll brace for a gut punch.

This is gonna be a long 3 levels.

• ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    64 BRD. 3 more levels and I can continue the MSQ. (Stopped because I hit 70 SAM and didn't want to waste the XP, might as well use it to level my old main.)

My BRD went from cowboy with giant bow, to swimsuit-guy in cowboy hat, to newfangled cowboy (still with the same hat), within the span of 2 levels. Apparently I never got the headpiece for these sets.

That 61-63 stretch sure made for some interesting cutscenes though.
    95bmgayhod7e.png

MSQ question in spoiler:
    My next quest is 67, something about a rushed departure. If I just follow the MSQ from here, would I hit 70? Trying to see if I could save the sidequests for a third job later.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    As a paladin, they gave me an ability with an amazing animation. I put my sword in the air, fucking lightning strikes it, and then I swing that lightning into the enemy. This could have a really cool introduction and be all sorts of interesting holy avenger/knight of justice themed or something.

But my story quests involve
    fighting in a tournament. A boring tournament I don't care about, indoors, in ul'dah.

It's been kind of a let down.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    As a paladin, they gave me an ability with an amazing animation. I put my sword in the air, fucking lightning strikes it, and then I swing that lightning into the enemy. This could have a really cool introduction and be all sorts of interesting holy avenger/knight of justice themed or something.

fighting in a tournament. A boring tournament I don't care about, indoors, in ul'dah.

They kind of screwed themselves by tying PLD, the bringer of light and justice, to GLD. It makes no sense that a PLD would be fighting in pointless tournaments instead of out, you know, Paladining...but they don't have a ton of choice. It's the base arc they've saddled PLD to.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    64 BRD. 3 more levels and I can continue the MSQ. (Stopped because I hit 70 SAM and didn't want to waste the XP, might as well use it to level my old main.)

My BRD went from cowboy with giant bow, to swimsuit-guy in cowboy hat, to newfangled cowboy (still with the same hat), within the span of 2 levels. Apparently I never got the headpiece for these sets.

That 61-63 stretch sure made for some interesting cutscenes though.
    95bmgayhod7e.png

MSQ question in spoiler:
    My next quest is 67, something about a rushed departure. If I just follow the MSQ from here, would I hit 70? Trying to see if I could save the sidequests for a third job later.

Not sure with armory bonus. Probably not.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular

One good thing, is the Wings ability is as good as it appears. I've used it in several trials already and it is totally a raid saving defensive cooldown. Between Wings and Divine Veil, we can really make a big difference when the healers are being pushed.

GnomeTank wrote: »

They kind of screwed themselves by tying PLD, the bringer of light and justice, to GLD. It makes no sense that a PLD would be fighting in pointless tournaments instead of out, you know, Paladining...but they don't have a ton of choice. It's the base arc they've saddled PLD to.

Man, I'm an Arcanist, and my Jobs have me spending more time in Gridania or the Marauder's guild than I ever spent in the Arcanist's guild. And my Ninja hasn't been to the Rogue's guild in a long time.

They don't need to tie down a job to the class, if they don't want to.

• SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular

Yes, you will level (2.1-2.55 can easily net you 3-4 levels.) So it's recommended to get the expansions (which you can do by buying Stormblood, as it includes Heavensward) when you near 50.

But everything there is only "requires level 50", right, since it was before the level cap was raised to 60? I'm wondering if I could theoretically complete those quests without hitting level 51 by shuffling them evenly amongst 11 different class XP bars.

SabreMau wrote: »

But everything there is only "requires level 50", right, since it was before the level cap was raised to 60? I'm wondering if I could theoretically complete those quests without hitting level 51 by shuffling them evenly amongst 11 different class XP bars.

Without the expansion, you stop gaining XP at 50.

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    I think so? I did them all on Summoner and I think I was like level 53 or so by the time I got to Ishgard, so if you spread them across all your jobs you might be able to keep them all at 50 until you unlock the HW ones.

Maybe get some guildmates to help you with the MSQ-required dungeons by running them unsynched so you wouldn't get too much XP.

Also be careful with your Challenge Log since it can give you 5-15% of a level for some challenges.

• SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Yeah, got a little bit of leeway to work with.

fjmS5eV.jpg

If not, no big deal, but it's something to try.

• chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited June 2017

At this point, I'd rather them just rename Paladin as Knight, and make a new class called Paladin with more "Paladin-y" things. They'd never do it, but I can hope. :) From what you've guys have been saying, the gameplay certainly seems to have improved, but my biggest complaint about Paladin has mostly been that it never really felt very Paladiny. I kept feeling that it wasn't really what I signed up for story wise.

After I dinged 60 as paladin, I switched to Dark Knight, and the story has been soooo much better, and I've never looked back. Just about to hit 65 on Dark Knight, and I'm feeling like the SB dark knight quests are about to shift into the next gear. :)

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
    edited June 2017
    And then you play SAM and realize ability creep is still alive and real, they just gave them all to us :rotate:

At this point, I'd rather them just rename Paladin as Knight, and make a new class called Paladin with more "Paladin-y" things. They'd never do it, but I can hope. :) From what you've guys have been saying, the gameplay certainly seems to have improved, but my biggest complaint about Paladin has mostly been that it never really felt very Paladiny. I kept feeling that it wasn't really what I signed up for story wise.

After I dinged 60 as paladin, I switched to Dark Knight, and the story has been soooo much better, and I've never looked back. Just about to hit 65 on Dark Knight, and I'm feeling like the SB dark knight quests are about to shift into the next gear. :)

I know, right? I can confirm that 65 ia gonna be cool. And I can't wait until I hit 68, and not just because of Bloodspiller.

Enlong on
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular

Man, I'm an Arcanist, and my Jobs have me spending more time in Gridania or the Marauder's guild than I ever spent in the Arcanist's guild. And my Ninja hasn't been to the Rogue's guild in a long time.

They don't need to tie down a job to the class, if they don't want to.

Last time I was in the Arcanist guild I was looking for Tartaru.

X22wmuF.jpg
    So my tanks are only 50 (PLD) and somewhere in the 40's (DRK)- not sure when I'll get back to them but I want to at some point. Though the changes to these, I haven't really paid much attention to (as my focus has been SAM and BRD).

For where I'm at, has anything significantly changed for these two? I took PLD because I like the idea of a shield, but when I tried out DRK (even though I feel squishier, meaning my HP seems to go down more than when I PLD) it felt more, I dunno... fun?

• chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    So my tanks are only 50 (PLD) and somewhere in the 40's (DRK)- not sure when I'll get back to them but I want to at some point. Though the changes to these, I haven't really paid much attention to (as my focus has been SAM and BRD).

For where I'm at, has anything significantly changed for these two? I took PLD because I like the idea of a shield, but when I tried out DRK (even though I feel squishier, meaning my HP seems to go down more than when I PLD) it felt more, I dunno... fun?

I think its rather uncontroversial to say that the Dark Knight story is better than the Paladin one.

As far as gameplay, I'd say that (at least through 60) I liked Dark Knight more than Paladin, but Paladin was much improved in HW than in ARR. I can't say anything about SB paladin, but Dark Knight has been pretty consistently good, and from what I understand, all 3 tanks are pretty similar in overall mitigation now, so I wouldn't use that as a big factor in deciding which one to play.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    The removal of mp drain for Darkside has been amazing. I enjoy the MP management of DRK, but dipping low and then losing Darkside was annoying, but now that's not an issue.

DRK got some significant changes.

First of all, the Darkside buff no longer causes continual MP Drain. It still shuts off all outside sources of MP recovery, but it no longer can put you in danger of hitting 0 MP because you dipped too low when the MP Drain ticked.

Also, the MP recovery effect of Syphon Strikd is much higher. Especially if you're in Grit stance. I dunno if your DRK has Dark Arts yet. If you don't, know that it's a powerful buff that consumes a big chunk of MP. Syphon Strike in Grit now restores the same MP that Dark Arts costs. As a trade-off, Blood Weapon and Blood Price restore less MP than they used to, though they're still good and get buffs later.

Generally, DRK feels less like a struggle to maintain MP than it used to.

First of all, the Darkside buff no longer causes continual MP Drain. It still shuts off all outside sources of MP recovery, but it no longer can put you in danger of hitting 0 MP because you dipped too low when the MP Drain ticked.

Also, the MP recovery effect of Syphon Strikd is much higher. Especially if you're in Grit stance. I dunno if your DRK has Dark Arts yet. If you don't, know that it's a powerful buff that consumes a big chunk of MP. Syphon Strike in Grit now restores the same MP that Dark Arts costs. As a trade-off, Blood Weapon and Blood Price restore less MP than they used to, though they're still good and get buffs later.

I don't think I have Dark Arts yet, but maybe I should level DRK at some point. Thanks!

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    I think so? I did them all on Summoner and I think I was like level 53 or so by the time I got to Ishgard, so if you spread them across all your jobs you might be able to keep them all at 50 until you unlock the HW ones.

Maybe get some guildmates to help you with the MSQ-required dungeons by running them unsynched so you wouldn't get too much XP.

Also be careful with your Challenge Log since it can give you 5-15% of a level for some challenges.

So, this reads like you dont want to ding past 50?
    Is that right? Is there a reason why? Like achievements or something?

PSN: jfrofl

At high levels, the goal of DRK is to be generating blood, which can be used in techniques to inflict damage.

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Only played WAR up to 70 yet, but I actually like all three tanks very much now.

Warrior actually feels like it's not as strong as before. One result of this is that it's probably now the tank job that most wants to plan out cooldowns and be properly setup whenever a burst of dps is needed. Stance switching draining half of your current beast gauge value really hurts their ability to stance dance.

Dark Knight feels less spiky in incoming damage and has more sustain than either Warrior or Paladin do now.

Paladin is still the king of block, but this could lead to some damage spikes. Has the most group utility, I think, but I'll admit I haven't looked over all three jobs abilities yet. Certainly has the most ability to take damage for other group members.

Betting Paladin and Dark Knight will get more use than Warrior for progression and high-end content. But all three tanks are viable for light party content at the least.

steam_sig.png
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    Lars wrote: »

So, this reads like you dont want to ding past 50?
    Is that right? Is there a reason why? Like achievements or something?

They're trying to keep all classes at the same level.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Only played WAR up to 70 yet, but I actually like all three tanks very much now.

Warrior actually feels like it's not as strong as before. One result of this is that it's probably now the tank job that most wants to plan out cooldowns and be properly setup whenever a burst of dps is needed. Stance switching draining half of your current beast gauge value really hurts their ability to stance dance.

Dark Knight feels less spiky in incoming damage and has more sustain than either Warrior or Paladin do now.

Paladin is still the king of block, but this could lead to some damage spikes. Has the most group utility, I think, but I'll admit I haven't looked over all three jobs abilities yet. Certainly has the most ability to take damage for other group members.

Betting Paladin and Dark Knight will get more use than Warrior for progression and high-end content. But all three tanks are viable for light party content at the least.

The big thing is that when DRK gets to 70, they get one hell of a defensive cooldown - The Blackest Night, which protects against 20% of their HP when cast on themselves (so about 8500 HP currently.) And if something gets through that, it immediately gives you 50 blood, enough to use a blood technique. They can also cast it on other party members, though it's only 10% of their HP in that case.

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Because Lars is insane.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    edited June 2017
    Arthil wrote: »
    Because Lars is insane.

I am insane, and probably would have done this if I'd thought of it, but I didn't think of it and I'm not the one doing it right now.

SabreMau is.

Lars on
  • McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    I'm bummed the Bard Job quest line is so lame in SB given how well the original and HW were so well done. Definitely feels like they just tacked it on at the end. I mean it ties in to the story of SB but only by introducing a heretofore unmentioned character from the Autumn war and his descendant.

McMoogle on
    steam_sig.png
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Paladin at 70 literally saves raids on multiple occasions. They are fine for group content (the AoE ability is fun), but they really shine in raids. I'm looking forward to DRK at 70, since I found them a bit too finicky to want to main in HW, but the changes have me interested.

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    McMoogle wrote: »
    I'm bummed the Bard Job quest line is so lame in SB given how well the original and HW were so well done. Definitely feels like they just tacked it on at the end. I mean it ties in to the story of SB but only by introducing a heretofore unmentioned character from the Autumn war and his descendant.

Eh. The Drg quest has fuck all to do with SB.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Delzhand wrote: »

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the way they're doing some of the new class quests and leaning on old areas instead of using the new zones and region lore right frickin there.

Goddamn, the Samurai questline is really good though.

*LV60 SAM spoilers*
    Why? Why did you make me do it? ;_;

fJ1MVQc.jpg

WX9nBl6.jpg

1HSFj4m.jpg

RIP top five job mentor Musosai. :(

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    the WAR quest line has exactly as much relevance to anything else as any other WAR quest; that is to say none. it features more of the guy who's bad at being a warrior continuing to be bad at being a warrior

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »

the WAR quest line has exactly as much relevance to anything else as any other WAR quest; that is to say none. it features more of the guy who's bad at being a warrior continuing to be bad at being a warrior

Were they at least engaging in their storyline otherwise?

I mean the bard HW quests had nothing to do with the expansion but they did involve someone trying to learn the song of ultimate destruction and was at least interesting. This one just felt more uninspired.

steam_sig.png
    Job quest talk reminded me of something...

Summoner level 70 Job quest Spoilers!
    Aren't Allagans supposed to have red eyes? I feel like I remember that being a thing. I know the three Allagan or Allagan-related NPCs that I can think of all had red eyes.

Because the new Allagan in the Summoner questline doesn't have red eyes.

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Just did Castrum Meridianum for the first time.

The queue took about 5 times longer than the actual dungeon.

Yeah, Castrum Meridianum and the Praetorium are kind of in an awkward place now.

It did teach them not to put a bunch of cutscenes in the middle of a duty though.

Honestly, I'd like to see them just split them up like the Coils of Bahamut (ie. Castrum Meridianum Phase 1 is everything until the defeat of the Black Eft, Castrum Meridianum Phase 2 covers up to the Magitek Vanguard, etc.). It'd solve most of the cutscene-related issues, and I know I'd do the roulette a lot more if it was set up like that.

This discussion has been closed.