As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fallout] Your Cube Was Nuked By xXx420yolo_69

StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations!Registered User regular
edited November 2018 in Games and Technology
Previous Thread

Try as we might, we will never be as cool as Murphy the Madwoman
djdXgCY.jpg

What Is Fallout?

Fallout is a post-apocalyptic RPG franchise, with the first titles developed by Black Isle back in the early 90s. Fallout and Fallout 2 are turn-based isometric games with thematic roots in Mad Max & spaghetti Westerns, while Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, and Fallout 4 are first person shooter/RPG hybrids developed by Bethesda (except FONV, which was Obsidian) & full of more modern pop-culture references. Survival is a strong narrative note throughout the franchise, although these are not really survival games; you do not need to consume food/water or refine blocks of wood into planks. Unless you play survival difficulty in 4. Then, you can eat, drink, and cure insomnia with antibiotics. SCIENCE!

Running some cool mods you want to share? Make a post and @ mention me to get it added to the index!

YE OLDE MOD INDEX

Glazius's
Axen's
McHoger's
Jealous Deva's
Steel Angel's
BronzeKoopa's
Strikor's

Strikor on

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Time for a medium term burst of posts from me because I just got the game when the Steam Summer Sale started.

• GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    @Strikor Sure, here are some of my favorite mods.

Sim Settlements - the new hotness, set to get newer and hotter at the end of the month. Zone out your settlement as residential, commercial, industrial, and agricultural. Settlers build a house, take a job, and upgrade both over time. Add-on packs from other users (Ruined Homes and Gardens, Industrial City, and Wasteland Venturers are some of my favorites) expand the variety available.

Workshop Rearranged renames, recosts, and reshuffles your standard workshop menu to be better all around, and adds a bunch of snap points and ground clip to things like junk fences where it would make sense.

Northland Diggers - the old hotness. Drops down flavored workbenches with hefty costs that produce resources a shipment at a time and have plenty of neat animation rigs.

Scrapper Corpse Highlighting - a loot detector. Never wonder if you have bodies left to pillage!

Better Companions - improves affinity perks and gives all your companions proper scaling stats and stealth to avoid those dogmeatlasers.gif situations.

Everyone's Best Friend - Dogmeat will tag along with you no matter who else you take! Wastelands are better with maximum doggo.

Armorsmith Extended - turns off the mutual exclusivity on most underlayer-style armor, in addition to letting you craft things like faction armor for Dogmeat.

And, of course, Full Dialogue Interface so you can see the words you're actually going to say instead of just SARCASTIC.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I am a big fan of that Scrapper Corpse Highlighting mod. I seriously hope it is an actual option in the next Bethesda game (I assume Elder Scrolls).

Armorsmith Extended is great and needed for quite a few other mods. Goes real nice with Eli's Armor Compendium.

Sim Settlements is getting a bigass update in, uh, 2ish day.

I can easily recommend More Where That Came From and also Elvani's Track Pack. Both of those go together nicely.

And who can forget everyone's favorite, CONELRAD!

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Okay, I'll bite. dogmeatlasers.gif?

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

https://youtu.be/VvtakuvVMLg

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    STAY BOY, DAMN IT STAY.

Glazius wrote: »
    Workshop Rearranged renames, recosts, and reshuffles your standard workshop menu to be better all around, and adds a bunch of snap points and ground clip to things like junk fences where it would make sense.
    Shiiiiiiiiiit I want to get this but then I read the portion of the features where it changes weight for all components, modifies junk weight, and increases junk yield to components. I need to see a detailed list to get an idea of how out of whack that will make things. I hate the mods that do the "junk weighs nothing lol" type stuff, which isn't the same as this, but I'm just trying to illustrate that making things TOO convenient can actually ruin the special property of being able to do those things.

• StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Yeah, I hate when mods do that. You go through a long list of nice changes and then suddenly "Preston now farts mini-nukes and ghoul attack sounds replaced with various meows".

Strikor on
    Strikor wrote: »
    Yeah, I hate when mods do that. You go through a long list of nice changes and then suddenly "Preston now farts mini-nukes and ghoul attack sounds replaced with various meows".
    So many mods across so many Bethesda games have pulled that shit and it's goddamn infuriating. It's like, to be so close to nailing the concept of changing without throwing balance out of whack (a real skill), then BAM one thing fucks up not only the focus of the mod but things related to it.

Anyway, reading more into Workshop Rearranged, I'm not that bothered anymore by the bullet point I read. I think the one component where weight being changed to .1 is most imbalanced is concrete, but most everything else was .1 anyway. Plus the math behind component yield when scrapping things makes sense and he still put a cap in place to keep things balanced as opposed to striving for realism.

Right now I'm trying to figure out if it's compatible with that sweet weather mod posted near the end of the last thread, because that weather mod added some things to the workshop menu.

One thing you could do is load up FO4edit and delete the weight and/or scrapping amount changes in the Workshop Rearranged .esp and save it, which is actually a lot easier than it sounds.

So many mods across so many Bethesda games have pulled that shit and it's goddamn infuriating. It's like, to be so close to nailing the concept of changing without throwing balance out of whack (a real skill), then BAM one thing fucks up not only the focus of the mod but things related to it.

Anyway, reading more into Workshop Rearranged, I'm not that bothered anymore by the bullet point I read. I think the one component where weight being changed to .1 is most imbalanced is concrete, but most everything else was .1 anyway. Plus the math behind component yield when scrapping things makes sense and he still put a cap in place to keep things balanced as opposed to striving for realism.

Right now I'm trying to figure out if it's compatible with that sweet weather mod posted near the end of the last thread, because that weather mod added some things to the workshop menu.

It should be. The things True Storms added to the workshop are just some fog, uh, removers. The various types of fog in the game also appear inside buildings, even with four sturdy walls and a door. So it is just for your own taste to use em or not if foggy homes annoy you.

• McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    Do It Yourshelf is my favorite settlement decoration mod.

Either I took a headshot or a dog bit me hard or both because wtf Survival Mode.

@Axen I know what True Storms added, I was just concerned about how it collided (if at all) with Workshop Rearrange being very particular about its language. That said, it all works together just fine. Even my "Hey that's not junk" mod is working in order.

edited June 2017

The video's a nice touch, though I like the way the original ends.
    STAY BOY, DAMN IT STAY.

You actually can order Dogmeat to a location with the companion ordering interface and he will stay there. It's just that most people never bother with that.

Glazius on

The video's a nice touch, though I like the way the original ends.
    STAY BOY, DAMN IT STAY.

You actually can order Dogmeat to a location with the companion ordering interface and he will stay there. It's just that most people never bother with that.
    Incidentally, I decided to start using Dogmeat commands in Survival mode. Look Dogmeat, a dangerous man with a gun. Go "check that out."

Check out whether or not he tastes like bacon! Good dog!

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Some miscellaneous mods I recommend

Waiting saves - lets you save in chairs in survival, giving you some more options for save points.

Better warning for settlements being attacked - shows a pop up when a settlement is attacked so its harder to miss the notification

Everyone's best friend - Dogmeat can be in your party with one other companion, like in new vegas with Rex and EDE. Some other companions have dogmeat specific dialogue for this.

Rust belt flora - absolutely beautiful tree mod, murder on fps. Can be made a bit less resource intensive if you are willing to futz around in fo4edit.

Edit - Hopefully got the links in bbcode working right.

Jealous Deva on
    Either I took a headshot or a dog bit me hard or both because wtf Survival Mode.

You are really fragile in survival mode for a long time and even then a high level enemy with a strong weapon can really hurt you.

I've been killed by a baseline raider with a shotgun who got lucky with a point blank headshot at a time I was one shotting most super mutants.

I've seen half my health disappear and a limb get crippled from one .50 rifle shot at level 45.

Lost count of how many times I've been killed by a grenade and it still sometimes happens even with the dense armor mod on my chest piece.

The few named feral ghouls can still quickly maul me to death and a number of those travel in packs.

The Silver Shroud fights hurt a lot because you often are starting out just after a conversation and out of cover.

Basically even with maximum ballistic weave and armor mods anything with a gun stronger than a .38 is still a threat and anything with a plasma, shotgun, automatic .45 or stronger caliber, .308, or .50 caliber gun can kill in 2 or 3 hits if I'm not chemed up.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular

You are really fragile in survival mode for a long time and even then a high level enemy with a strong weapon can really hurt you.

I've been killed by a baseline raider with a shotgun who got lucky with a point blank headshot at a time I was one shotting most super mutants.

I've seen half my health disappear and a limb get crippled from one .50 rifle shot at level 45.

Lost count of how many times I've been killed by a grenade and it still sometimes happens even with the dense armor mod on my chest piece.

The few named feral ghouls can still quickly maul me to death and a number of those travel in packs.

The Silver Shroud fights hurt a lot because you often are starting out just after a conversation and out of cover.

Basically even with maximum ballistic weave and armor mods anything with a gun stronger than a .38 is still a threat and anything with a plasma, shotgun, automatic .45 or stronger caliber, .308, or .50 caliber gun can kill in 2 or 3 hits if I'm not chemed up.

Yeah, I ran up on a super mutant legendary yesterday with a hnting rifle with full ap as I rounded a corner, cue up vats with thr combat shotty, 5 shots - first misses, second plugs about half health off the mutant and triggers legendary mutation, third misses, fourth catches him in the chest, fifth gets the head again and puts him down to a tiny fraction of health, I am jamming on the mouse button as vats ends trying to get off one more shot, mutant nails me in the head with the hunting rifle :(. Headshots are still pretty deadly to me at 39 with the far harbor marine armor.

Oh man, Darker Nights + True Storms + Survival + Ghouls = some of my most intense gaming moments.

I remember one time it was a sandstorm during night. Couldn't see my own hand in front of me and I ended up stumbling in to that area just north of the Cambridge Police Station, I was deep in the danger zone before I realized where I was.

Another random mod I enjoy is Spatial Awareness. It changes the distance at which PoIs appear on your compass. It comes with numerous options. I think I have mine set to "Hard" which is 50% of the Vanilla PoI detection distance.

I always felt like the default distance was too much, seemed like I was picking up everything within a kilometer of myself. At 50% it feels much more natural to me.

A few of my own mod recommendations:

Survival mod to let you save at beds/mattresses/sleeping bags without sleeping. Still keeps the importance of sleeping locations around but you no longer are a serial napper if you don't want to be.

Glowing skill magazines. A lower key change than some out there that makes skill mags easier to see if you're prone to overlooking them in vanilla like me.

A few more that I'll add to the thread when I'm back home but these are the ones that don't get 3+ similar mods popping up on searches.

Steam Profile
    edited June 2017

Yeah, I ran up on a super mutant legendary yesterday with a hnting rifle with full ap as I rounded a corner, cue up vats with thr combat shotty, 5 shots - first misses, second plugs about half health off the mutant and triggers legendary mutation, third misses, fourth catches him in the chest, fifth gets the head again and puts him down to a tiny fraction of health, I am jamming on the mouse button as vats ends trying to get off one more shot, mutant nails me in the head with the hunting rifle :(. Headshots are still pretty deadly to me at 39 with the far harbor marine armor.

Is Jet still as easy as fertilizer + plastic in survival? I still pop that when I get into a surprise/planned mass combat.

Glazius on

Is Jet still as easy as fertilizer + plastic in survival? I still pop that when I get into a surprise/planned mass combat.

If you didn't need it before, you almost certainly need Chemist to craft it and it dehydrates you a bit so you'll consume some water just to offset that but otherwise chems are still really strong tools in survival. You can't carry as much as they all have weight now though plus there's the water requirement after each one and the chance of contracting a disease each time you use a chem but psycho, psychobuff, psychojet, and overdrive are basically my solutions to surpris Mirelurk Queens and other tough fights. You just can't afford to constantly shoot up each fight due to the weight, disease, and water considerations and have to survive an initial barrage first.

Steam Profile
    So far the hardest things I ran into in Survival Mode were that raider and his dog near Sanctuary, and those weird bug things just at the entrance of Concord. I took a bad pipe hit from a raider during the scuffle there, but everyone else I wasted in good fashion. Including the
    surprise bigass Deathclaw. Took no damage from it.
    I'm getting the hang of the pacing of eating / drinking now, and combat is absolutely all about not getting in the face of things. Laser musket is still awesome.

So far the hardest things I ran into in Survival Mode were that raider and his dog near Sanctuary, and those weird bug things just at the entrance of Concord. I took a bad pipe hit from a raider during the scuffle there, but everyone else I wasted in good fashion. Including the
    surprise bigass Deathclaw. Took no damage from it.
    I'm getting the hang of the pacing of eating / drinking now, and combat is absolutely all about not getting in the face of things. Laser musket is still awesome.

Bloodbugs are frustratingly dangerous in survival mode. Their lanky hitboxes, erratic movement, and poison make it easy for them to get good hits on you compared to most other critters and more than once I've been done in by the poison after killing all the bugs themselves. They're surprisingly durable too, taking more shots to put down than mole rats and dogs.

Steam Profile
  • BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Sim Settlements is awesome, just wished the agriculture zone you could control what crops get generated. And it seems hard to rely solely on them for food production initially since upgrades take a while.

Companion/follower mods that are essential to me:
    Companion Command and Tactics makes ordering your follower around a lot easier. Open their inventory and issue commands without having to point at them using hotkeys.

Companion Stealth Distance Fix (No Free Hugs) - Now with No Dogmeat in Crosshairs changes followers so they will no longer get up in your grill when in stealth. Also updated to alter Dogmeat's follow movements so he won't get in your way as much when looting or pressing buttons.

edited June 2017
    So in Sanctuary, if you put one bed in every was-a-bedroom, was-a-kitchen, and ignore using Baby Saun's room, you can actually get 19 beds setup, so just double up in a couple of the large bedrooms and everyone (base easy max of 21 population) has plenty of personal space. Huzzah!

Is Local Leader required to assign people to tasks around settlements? I didn't get it yet in my Survival Mode file. I thought Local Leader was just a supply caravan thing.

Henroid on
    So in Sanctuary, if you put one bed in every was-a-bedroom, was-a-kitchen, and ignore using Baby Saun's room, you can actually get 19 beds setup, so just double up in a couple of the large bedrooms and everyone (base easy max of 21 population) has plenty of personal space. Huzzah!

Is Local Leader required to assign people to tasks around settlements? I didn't get it yet in my Survival Mode file. I thought Local Leader was just a supply caravan thing.

Local leader is the supply route at level 1 and making shops for settlements at level 2.

You should be able to highlight a settler in Workshop mode and then select them followed by selecting an item to assign them to.

Steam Profile
  • AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    So what perks do you guys recommend? I literally just climbed out of the vault and the perk selections look a bit overwhelming even with flat 4s across the board for SPECIAL...

All 4s? Let's see...Armorer is an excellent choice since it will allow you to upgrade your armor, both for better protection and things like carry weight. Blacksmith if you're going melee. Rifleman is nice if you're going single-shot weapons. Lifegiver's rank 3 health regen is pretty damn nice though if you aren't playing on Survival then you'll probably have hundreds of stimpaks anyway. Cap Collector is nice if you plan on doing any trading. Gun Nut gets you some nice ballistic weapon upgrades. Gunslinger and Commando if you're going pistols or auto weapons respectively. Sneak is nice and can net you some good sneak attack kills with a suppressor.

• AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    How do crafting perks hold up on FO4? I scrapped and jury rigged my way across New Vegas, and would be keen to maintain that playstyle.

EDIT: Or maybe I should pump my stats... arrgh, I just need to get over the decision paralysis inherent in these games!

Akilae on
    Akilae wrote: »
    So what perks do you guys recommend? I literally just climbed out of the vault and the perk selections look a bit overwhelming even with flat 4s across the board for SPECIAL...

At 4 you're not going to really be great at anything in particular but won't really be bad at anything. A lot of the really good perks will be out of reach until you boost some stats via bobbleheads or perk points though.

First, you need to decide on a primary weapon type. Melee combat kind of sucks in the base game due to how easy it is for enemy attacks to stagger you out of attack animations. So for a first play through, you're looking at automatic weapons, semi-automatic and bolt action rifles and shotguns, or semi-automatic and revolver pistols with the commando, rifleman, and gunslinger perks respectively. Pistols tend to have the worst range (though the gunslinger perks mitigate this), lighter weight, and the lowest AP cost per shot in VATs. If you want to walk into a room full of enemies, slow time, and queue up a bunch of shots, and spew out a hail of bullets/lasers, a gunslinger build is great. High luck critical hit VATS builds are really strong at close to medium range. Don't expect to do a lot of long range sniping though. Rifleman builds have the advantage at long range with sniper rifles and can make great use of shotguns at close range. They are not great at stealth builds initially because suppressors for rifles tend to have higher crafting requirements than ones for pistols but that eventually ceases to be an issue. A few legendary weapon effects apply their effect on each hit and are especially effective with the multiple hits a shotgun produces. A staggering shotgun will knock a deathclaw to the floor quickly as long as you hit it. While you can sink points into higher perception perks to boost sniping effectiveness, generally speaking Rifleman builds can be pretty effective without spending points into combat perks besides Rifleman and crafting so they're the best generalist weapon type IMO. Automatic weapons do less damage per shot than their non-automatic counterparts but can pile on damage quickly as long as ammo holds up. Forget sniping though. Even a scoped handgun is going to be more effective at that than a scoped machine gun.

After that, you will want to pick up the Gun Nut and Armorer perks to make your own mods. While you can scavenge mods off of found or bought weapons to attach them to others of the same base weapon type, it's a pain to rely on doing so and you have plenty of perk points to go around.

Lockpicking will be a must and should be invested in after you secure combat survival. Hacking is also handy but less so. There are far fewer Master difficulty terminals around than Master level locks and many terminals do nothing beyond letting you open a locked safe you can pick open.

Sneak could be handy and sneak attacks are strong even without points in Ninja.

Medic is good as stimpacks get stronger as you level due to healing a percentage of total health unlike other items that heal flat amounts.

Bloody Mess is much less damage than the weapon specific perk lines but is still a useful bonus to have when other things are filled out.

Mysterious Stranger can be handy if you use VATs a lot.

Beyond that, you should strongly consider what kind of perks to work towards. You have 4 charisma which doesn't really do much by itself but you're close to 6 for Local Leader which really makes the settlement game much more interesting. And you should strongly consider bumping intelligence to 6 for Science! It opens up some mods for ballistic weapons, almost all the mods for energy weapons, many mods for power armor, and some handy settlement items too like better generators and water purifiers. Since the flat 4 spread makes you generalist by default, you might as well go for a character that does as many things as possible in the game even if not as great as a pure combat hound.

Steam Profile
    edited June 2017
    You don't really NEED crafting perks exactly, since you can find mods on looted weapons and rip them out, but there are so many different weapons and mods that it's a hell of a lot easier to be able to craft your own.

edit: though with crafting in pretty much any game, it can certainly make you OP fairly easily.

Strikor on
  • The Big LevinskyThe Big Levinsky Registered User regular
    Akilae wrote: »
    How do crafting perks hold up on FO4? I scrapped and jury rigged my way across New Vegas, and would be keen to maintain that playstyle.

EDIT: Or maybe I should pump my stats... arrgh, I just need to get over the decision paralysis inherent in these games!

Crafting perks are excellent, almost essential in my opinion. They basically ensure your gear is top of the line for your level. I also don't ever remember seeing any of the advanced model power armor limb mods dropping (model B to F) so if you're going to do a lot of power armor, you'll want to take armorer and science. Same with robots. You'll get a lot of basic limbs to drop but you'll probably have to craft armor, weapons and utility mods and that requires perks.

Speaking of robot buddies, man do they seem powerful. I recently turned ADA into a melee murder bot with Assaultron legs, body and head (with Assaultron eye-laser of course), a robo-brain arm with a cryolator and a beefy sentry arm with an ax (only one star in blacksmith). She has all the pointy armor mods that do bleed effects and a tesla coil torso mod which also make her look terrifying. She kills things faster with her 1 star melee weapon than I do with my 3/4 gun nut modded weapons. Anything that doesn't die in one hit bleeds out from damage over time a second later.

Before that she was tank mode with robo-brain treads and twin laser gatlings with all the +energy damage armor mods. I could just order her into a room, wait a few seconds, then walk in and collect my loot. It seems like robots are superior to the regular companions in combat in pretty much every way. They have unlimited ammo with whatever weapons you give them and can fire two (or three depending on the head) weapons at once. They can have triple digit defenses without power armor (limbs don't break with damage) and they even come with passive buffs like health regen, recon sensors or passive stat buffs.

• The Big LevinskyThe Big Levinsky Registered User regular
    Sim Settlements is awesome, just wished the agriculture zone you could control what crops get generated. And it seems hard to rely solely on them for food production initially since upgrades take a while.

Companion/follower mods that are essential to me:
    Companion Command and Tactics makes ordering your follower around a lot easier. Open their inventory and issue commands without having to point at them using hotkeys.

Companion Stealth Distance Fix (No Free Hugs) - Now with No Dogmeat in Crosshairs changes followers so they will no longer get up in your grill when in stealth. Also updated to alter Dogmeat's follow movements so he won't get in your way as much when looting or pressing buttons.

According the YouTube reference videos you can pick crops using the architect's t-square:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCFDPmWIcP4&t=342s

It's at about 5:30 it shows him cycling through agricultural plots.

edited June 2017
    Grr, a mod or some combination of mods I have is making Thicket Excavations load irregularly.

Edit - Oh nope, looked it up, it's just a bug the PC version has.

Henroid on
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular

This is why I don't use the Unofficial Patch mods for any Bethesda game. They go way beyond just fixing bugs and into the realm of "I didn't like this so i'm changing it".

Aistan wrote: »

This is why I don't use the Unofficial Patch mods for any Bethesda game. They go way beyond just fixing bugs and into the realm of "I didn't like this so i'm changing it".
    That's not my experience with them, can you cite specific examples?

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »

That's not my experience with them, can you cite specific examples?

I dont remember specifics, but the one for skyrim included some ridiculous completely not-fixy changes.

I also skipped the Skyrim one due to those reasons but the FO4 one seems to be at least 50% things like changing "Love & Love" to "Live and Love" and adding "the" to a few things. I haven't come across any changes I don't like yet, but I also haven't come across anything it has actually fixed.

This discussion has been closed.