As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX forum signature mini-badges

• jdwjdw Registered User regular
    Hey, got it to work. Thanks!

TylKYeQ.png
  • MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    So yeah, short version is, I'm hosting the generator but I don't want to take on the role of "steward of everyone's signature images" so you can't direct link from the output by design.

But.... zerzhul's post got me thinking. Imgur has a decent-ish API, so I added some functionality so the generator can now post the image to imgur for you and save a couple steps. It needs more testing but seems to be working alright, so I put it up as beta functionality. If anyone has problems with it, let me know. (eg: if it kicks you to the normal generation page when you opt to post to imgur, that probably means something blew up with imgur).

Malgaras on
    1tLJUH2O.png
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Malgaras wrote: »
    So yeah, short version is, I'm hosting the generator but I don't want to take on the role of "steward of everyone's signature images" so you can't direct link from the output by design.

But.... zerzhul's post got me thinking. Imgur has a decent-ish API, so I added some functionality so the generator can now post the image to imgur for you and save a couple steps. It needs more testing but seems to be working alright, so I put it up as beta functionality. If anyone has problems with it, let me know. (eg: if it kicks you to the normal generation page when you opt to post to imgur, that probably means something blew up with imgur).

Thank you based people who know how to do this shit

• KilonumKilonum [E] Somewhere near BostonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Now if only I could have both the [E] and BYOC tags on the badges (I've done BYOC at every East except 2011, and Enforced every East except 2010) :P

Kilonum on
    JfqWFk8.png
  • MrBroadstoneMrBroadstone Registered User regular
    How the banner strips are done would have to be changed drastically for that right now.

• The AviatrixThe Aviatrix Registered User regular
    Could be the black back, red number and the BYOC strip in place of the E? I dunno how hard that'd be since it already has the black base for enforcers. And I dunno if the [E] matches the height of the other ones to just plaster it over neatly.

x5XpZBK.pngEz7XjRx.pngml9Z6gf.png
  • MrBroadstoneMrBroadstone Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    That's the idea. I'd think a separate set of 'strips' need to be made so you could layer them on top of existing badges.

EDIT: Also known as this: https://github.com/gespo89/PAXSignatureGenerator/issues/8

EDIT2: For The Aviatrix: https://broadstone.github.io/PAXSignatureGenerator/src/main/webapp/index2.html It doesn't fit your preferred ordering, but it can make the pattern you want. Also the upload option is nonfunctional.

MrBroadstone on
  • MarioManiacMarioManiac Registered User regular
    Thanks for this, this is great!

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 mph, you're gonna see some serious shit!"
    signature_zpsh4qstnbp.png
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/MarioManiac
  • melzwaymelzway Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Just trying it out to see if I did it right......I didn't. What I'm I doing wrong? I have the image. How do I insert it?

melzway on
  • RILMSRILMS North BayRegistered User regular
    @melzway , I made the image, then hosted it on Imgur, and then linked it back in my signature bar

OtyHMcu.jpg
    I like the way the generator works now :D

JfqWFk8.png
  • VictoryofthepplVictoryoftheppl Community Outreach Coordinator @ Gamers Outreach Registered User regular
    Is it possible to add an Exhibitor badge @Malgaras

MEfw2yy.png

Team [E] <3
    For reference, I've gotten a few requests via PM and other stuff for some changes and features. Now that the new year has rolled over and things have quieted down a bit on my actual job. I'm putting some work in on this again. I should have an update out shortly after I get back from South.

1tLJUH2O.png
    I had a SPG badge this year. Not sure if that is on your list of add-ons :)

OtyHMcu.jpg
    edited February 2017
    RILMS wrote: »
    I had a SPG badge this year. Not sure if that is on your list of add-ons :)

Currently working on:
    1. New Badge Types:
    • Special Guest
    • Content Creator
    • Exhibitor
    • Vendor
    • All Access/Staff (I doubt this will get used, but you never know)
    2. Adding a couple different "styles" for certain types of badges, particularly enforcer.
    3. Moving things to GWT (this shouldn't really affect anything for you all, just an FYI)
    4. Adding some better options for doing "custom" things with layout etc.
    5. Adding support for PAX unplugged

Going to be a bit to finish things, but I am working on it. Maybe this weekend if I really get my shit together.

2/10 Update: Still working on this, got sick unfortunately, and now I'm behind at actual work again, so tabled temporarily until I catch up.

Malgaras on
    1tLJUH2O.png
  • punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    Any chance of getting a Cookie Brigade version? I know it's not a badge type, but since it IS what I do at PAX, I'd love to have a version that represents that. Maybe around the numbers have a tan circle with a chunk out of the top?

HI3789R.png
    punzie wrote: »
    Any chance of getting a Cookie Brigade version? I know it's not a badge type, but since it IS what I do at PAX, I'd love to have a version that represents that. Maybe around the numbers have a tan circle with a chunk out of the top?

Not sure off hand how best to handle this, but I'll see if I can figure something out.

1tLJUH2O.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2017
    In a signature generator, I would think that cookie brigade would be more something like malgaras has in their sig right now, sort of an overall tag. I'm all for additional stuff but I would think since CB isn't a badge type it might not go on the badge stuff itself? Just spitballing

zerzhul on
  • punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    No joke, I've actually asked for a cookie brigade badge type :p I was told "we're trying to make fewer badge types, not more!"

HI3789R.png
    need to make a set for unplugged now :D

JfqWFk8.png
    Any updates?

OtyHMcu.jpg
    @Malgaras not sure when you will have time to update, but it looks like someone did a purple badge here that may help: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/211205/upcoming-attended-unplugged-forum-signature-badge#latest

• BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    [*] All Access/Staff (I doubt this will get used, but you never know)

I would use it.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
    edited May 2017
    Alright, so I know I'm OBSCENELY late at this point, and I apologize for that. I'll spare you the details, but short version is I've been busy with real life and have been super strapped for time.

The GOOD news is that I finally got a new version out. Rewrite is still incomplete (learning new frameworks takes a while :( ) but in the meantime I got 95% of the to-do list taken care of:
    • Added a bunch of new badge types (Content creator, vendor, exhibitor, vip, speaker, special guest, staff)
    • Added support for PAX unplugged
    • Removed the stupid port designation from the URL (minor, but it was bugging me)

http://www.paxsignaturegenerator.com/ (port 8080 should still work, but isn't necessary anymore)

It's up now, might need a DNS flush on your side since I moved the server. Beyond that, I'd love any feedback, particularly on the new badge types (the look on some could maybe use some tweaking), and if you find any bugs I introduced that I missed.

Malgaras on
    1tLJUH2O.png
    No apologies necessary! It's a side project, and I'm thankful you do it at all!

Thank you very much!!

OtyHMcu.jpg
  • ZoidynZoidyn Registered User regular
    FYI to folks trying to update the badge list in your signature and hitting an "Image Not Allowed" error, something's borked on the forum. I linked the related thread below, and hope to see it resolved soon!
    https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/211628/images-not-allowed-in-signatures
    Beyond that, I'd love any feedback, particularly on the new badge types (the look on some could maybe use some tweaking), and if you find any bugs I introduced that I missed.
    The generator worked great for me! So much easier than fiddling with it in a paint program. Thank you for creating this tool. :biggrin:

23F5Egc.png
    It looks like signature images might be working again?

• BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Worked for me. Thanks for the badges. I pre-populated this years on mine cause I don't want to update it that often.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
    Hrm, looking at your sig now, I'm wondering if white text might be better for the staff badges. Thoughts?

1tLJUH2O.png
    I'm fine either way, whatever you think looks best.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
    edited July 2017
    Minor update:
    • Changed staff text to white for legibility.
    • Added root domain forwarding (paxsignaturegenerator.com works as well now, no "www" needed).
    • Fixed a bug where wrapped images were being created on a canvas much larger than necessary.
    • Moved the server again, because I fail at security and keep locking myself out. Site might appear down for a day or so until DNS records propagate. It's here if you need it right now.

Malgaras on
    1tLJUH2O.png
    Yup white is better, thanks.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • seckzeeseckzee Saphyre SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Saved the photo, uploaded it to imgur and saved it in signatures and nothing is showing up. :( Fixed! Also someday I'd like to find out how to change my username, if that is even possible.

seckzee on
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    This is pretty neato, set mine up
    ahh memories

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    seckzee wrote: »
    Saved the photo, uploaded it to imgur and saved it in signatures and nothing is showing up. :( Fixed! Also someday I'd like to find out how to change my username, if that is even possible.

Per "The Rules" FAQ : We do not change usernames or delete accounts. Don't ask. Before you pick your username be certain that it is the one you want because it is yours for life. The only time in which name changes are granted is if they are purchased in our annual Solid Saints charity auction and the auction prices are often high.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • BritLeighBritLeigh Registered User new member
    Thank you! This is super cool!

if2auemws3be.png
    @Malgaras the signature generator site appears to be unavailable. I'm hitting a connection error and Google cache's last save was April 17, 2018. Any chance this awesome tool will be back up Soon™ ?

23F5Egc.png
    edited May 2018
    Blegh, no idea why it went down. I'll take a look.

Edit: So apparently a billing issue with AWS. Be back up once I get it sorted out.

Edit2: Back up.

Malgaras on
    1tLJUH2O.png
    Edit2: Back up.

Got my sig updated! Thanks @Malgaras

23F5Egc.png