As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fallout] Your Cube Was Nuked By xXx420yolo_69

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Aistan wrote: »
    Strikor wrote: »
    Yeah, I hate when mods do that. You go through a long list of nice changes and then suddenly "Preston now farts mini-nukes and ghoul attack sounds replaced with various meows".

This is why I don't use the Unofficial Patch mods for any Bethesda game. They go way beyond just fixing bugs and into the realm of "I didn't like this so i'm changing it".
    That's not my experience with them, can you cite specific examples?

Looking through the Fallout 4 one it seems like they mostly kept it to bug fixes. It was the Skyrim one that was the real problem. Making the Ebony Blade and other unique, mythical artifacts improvable as if any joe schmo mortal smith could even comprehend how they worked. Adding beds and bedrooms to various inns and barracks, random rocks, other non-bug cosmetic changes. Changing Erik the Slayer's class to match his equipment as if he didn't literally just start adventuring off a loan from his father and so deliberately has a mish-mash of equipment. Restricting Black Soul Gems to sapient races only instead of them being Grand Soul Gems that can also trap the souls of higher beings, like they were in the previous games. Changing Grimsever to two-handed because Mjoll currently uses two-handed weapons. Making Necromage not work on Vampire PCs. Making Dragons and Draugr no longer fight each other. Having Spell Absorption not absorb the caster's spells.

Essentially though I see no need to install them unless I run into a bug I notice myself. If it's egregious enough and frequent enough i'll try to find a fix for that one bug.

I don't want to install a mod that is far-reaching enough to impact every single part of the game.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Yeah, I hate when mods do that. You go through a long list of nice changes and then suddenly "Preston now farts mini-nukes and ghoul attack sounds replaced with various meows".

This is why I don't use the Unofficial Patch mods for any Bethesda game. They go way beyond just fixing bugs and into the realm of "I didn't like this so i'm changing it".

Looking through the Fallout 4 one it seems like they mostly kept it to bug fixes. It was the Skyrim one that was the real problem. Making the Ebony Blade and other unique, mythical artifacts improvable as if any joe schmo mortal smith could even comprehend how they worked. Adding beds and bedrooms to various inns and barracks, random rocks, other non-bug cosmetic changes. Changing Erik the Slayer's class to match his equipment as if he didn't literally just start adventuring off a loan from his father and so deliberately has a mish-mash of equipment. Restricting Black Soul Gems to sapient races only instead of them being Grand Soul Gems that can also trap the souls of higher beings, like they were in the previous games. Changing Grimsever to two-handed because Mjoll currently uses two-handed weapons. Making Necromage not work on Vampire PCs. Making Dragons and Draugr no longer fight each other. Having Spell Absorption not absorb the caster's spells.

Essentially though I see no need to install them unless I run into a bug I notice myself. If it's egregious enough and frequent enough i'll try to find a fix for that one bug.

I don't want to install a mod that is far-reaching enough to impact every single part of the game.
    Oh bleh, I didn't realize the USP did all that. Is it the same team of people that makes the "Unofficial Patch" mods for the Bethesda games, or is it like the first people to do it are the ones forever charged with how that goes, changing game to game?

Is it possible that some of those non-bug-fixes are done for the sake of going around something that just isn't fixable? Like Necromage not working on Vampires, maybe that's the only fix for a potentially otherwise unfixable bug? I'm not trying to justify ALL of this but I've seen other games, from the developer themselves, make changes like that because coding got cray cray.

In unrelated news my Survival Mode run of Fallout 4 is going much better than I would've hoped. Food isn't a problem for me, water isn't a problem (YAY refilling bottles at water sources). The one time I died was the one time I died. I did have a close call with a couple of mirelurks but survived.

I dunno if this is a Survival Mode intent or a mod I got doing something intentionally or not, but bodies do NOT persist for long in this file. In my starter game, the bodies from the Concord fight stayed around for a while and I was able to leave and come back later to loot. In this current file, I came back and oops a bunch of shit despawned. Not all of it, but the bulk.

• StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    I think bodies are supposed to last even longer than normal in survival but uh I usually end up harvesting the ones at my settlements so I haven't really noticed one way or the other.

edited June 2017
    Finally getting around to making a mod list of my own. Here goes!

Armor:
    Armorsmith Extended completely overhauls the armor system. Any item of clothing can be worn under any armor (some clipping issues apply)!
    Craftable Custom Combat Armor adds a load of customization to that boring old combat armor. Change the paint, decal, or even upgrade that sturdy set to heavy!
    Buildable Power Armor Frames The title is slightly misleading but this lets you scrap power armor frames and rebuild them later if you so wish. Good for hauling a bunch of frames between settlements.

Weapons:
    Button Lowered Weapons lets you lower your damn weapon without holstering it.
    Crossbows of the Commonwealth adds some nice crossbows, as the name implies.
    M16A3 adds a set of very high quality M4/M16 rifles to the game. This is one of my favorite weapon mods because it has custom reload animations and doesn't follow the dumb trend of swapping the ejection port over to the left side .
    Laser RCW adds that cool laser Thompson from New Vegas. Not much more to say there!

Settlements:
    Homemaker adds an absolutely huge amount of items to your building pool. I can't recommend this one enough!
    Scrap Everything allows you to scrap just about everything in a settlement. Tear down those crummy old buildings or just clean up the trash (seriously, people, why are there piles of trash next to your bed?)
    Scrap Dead Things is kind of like Scrap Everything, but for the recently deceased. Great for getting rid of ash piles, dead ghouls, etc.
    Craftable Cats does the same thing, but for cats. Meow. Vomiting on carpet not included.
    MOAR Turrets is my own creation and adds a large number of new turret types filling many different roles.
    Robot Home Defence lets you add cool robots to your settlements, from the lowly Mr. Handy to the glorious Sentry Bot. A good alternative to the Automatron DLC if you don't have that.

Visual Stuffs:
    Fallout 4 Seasons is an amazing mod that completely changes the way the Commonwealth looks, and comes in 4 different versions, one for each season.
    True Storms adds some great weather effects.
    Darker Nights, unsurprisingly, makes night darker and has many different darkness versions to choose from.

General Quality of Life:
    No NPC Greetings removes the incredibly annoying comments NPCs sling at you unsolicited. You hhhhhhope I'm not one of those synths here to spy on you? Well, now you'll keep it to yourself!
    Full Dialogue Interface is, in my opinion, pretty much required. Rather than the silly, often misleading dialog selection system, it lists exactly what your character is going to say and even includes the sarcasm tag, lest you miss one. I can't stress how much better it makes the game feel.
    Loot Detector makes corpses with loot on them glow if you have the first rank of Scrapper. Extremely useful for finding bodies that have fallen into the grass...or inexplicably flying 500 feet after being hit by a shotgun blast.
    Quick Trade lets you trade with companions, settlers, and merchants with a single keypress.

Audio:
    Classic Fallout Music Pretty much does what it says.

Strikor on
  • AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    Okay, so dumb question time: Is there a way to scrap junk in the workbench's inventory directly? I've been dragging it into the world map to scrap, but here's gotta be a more elegant way to do this, right?

Oh bleh, I didn't realize the USP did all that. Is it the same team of people that makes the "Unofficial Patch" mods for the Bethesda games, or is it like the first people to do it are the ones forever charged with how that goes, changing game to game?

Is it possible that some of those non-bug-fixes are done for the sake of going around something that just isn't fixable? Like Necromage not working on Vampires, maybe that's the only fix for a potentially otherwise unfixable bug? I'm not trying to justify ALL of this but I've seen other games, from the developer themselves, make changes like that because coding got cray cray.

Yes, it is the same team. At least they have the same head of the team and place where they coordinate fixes. The individual members aside from the public faces i'm sure change all the time.

I did look through the entirety of Fallout 4's and didn't see anything as egregious, so maybe feedback from Skyrim's made them refine their focus more.

I can't really say why they chose those ones they did for Skyrim. It may be that Necromage working on a PC Vampire wasn't intended by the developers and was simply an oversight from them not thinking into specific perk interactions, but that's not a known quantity. It's not on the level of "the player falls through the world when jumping between these two rocks" or "settlers move to crafting stations with their weapons drawn due to an incorrect animation setting", it's an entirely different question. It's a balance change, no different from tweaking the damage value of a fireball or the armor value of iron boots that have been improved from smithing.

It comes down entirely on who is working on it. If Bethesda had made that Necromage change or removed the Alchemy fortify restoration loop I wouldn't have minded. They were fun things for someone deep in the game to exploit to get to some crazy results but if the developers felt it was an oversight or too powerful that's their decision. I don't want a modder to take that responsibility because ultimately it's not their game. That these changes are packaged along with a bunch of legitimate bug fixes just makes it worse.

There are of course other mods you can get that mod out the changes in question. That's not a perfect solution though because modding of any kind is a house of cards and who knows what adding three or four more on top will do.

Junk items you don't need to scrap manually. As for weapons and armor...I wish, but I haven't been able to find a mod to do it.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Akilae wrote: »
    Okay, so dumb question time: Is there a way to scrap junk in the workbench's inventory directly? I've been dragging it into the world map to scrap, but here's gotta be a more elegant way to do this, right?
    Junk items don't need to be manually scrapped. When you craft something, it'll show you what resources it will consume. And in the case that it needs things from like a desk fan, it'll note that it's breaking that fan down. The items from the fan not needed aren't consumed, they get sorted into your workshop inventory.

That said, I recommend Hey Thats Not Junk. There are some junk items that are either used in their not-broken-down form in recipes or valuable in cap count that the workshop will consume in the base game for crafting, and then you're just screwed. What this mod does is, by type of item purpose, make them move to the Misc category and not be used in crafting, nor can they be manually broken down. You can enable any of the ESP files you want, mix and matched, in case you don't care about a particular group of item. The groups are:
    - Crafting Items
    - High Value Items
    - Holo Tags (dogtags from soldiers)
    - Toys
    - Undamaged Items (things that are perfectly preserved since the bombs dropped)
    - Unique Items

In the case of toys and undamaged items, they serve no other purpose as far as I know. Nor are they like quest turn-ins as far as I know. The only reason to preserve them from being auto-scrapped by crafting is if you want to use them to decorate settlements or your home. I'd absolutely recommend at least turning on the crafting and high value portions.

Apparently I hit the plugin limit of 255. Oops.

Spent a day in-game setting up the Red Rocket post outside of Sanctuary in my Survival run, after I designated an extra hand to run provisions to it. It's walled off with a couple entrances that are more or less on the same side. Guard towers are set to overlook things pretty damn well, turrets in place to cross-fire anything running in. All crafting posts were moved to the garage, and the rest of the building has as many beds as I can fit (while accessible). I built a template-based 'farm' just along the back of the building to put in some more beds. Not enough for max capacity but close enough. Setting up the radio beacon produced one guy immediately, so I gave him some raider gear, an old modified 10mm pistol I had, and set him to guard the entrance.

I don't mind the way it is setup at all. It's more of a Minutemen barracks / checkpoint, for the provisions that will be coming through it.

On the exploration front I found a couple of cool things. First was a robot disposal site, and there was a big military robot there. I activated it, and didn't get too close on the off chance it would end me. Not far from that, I ran into some mutated deer. Which was fun, but I noticed one staring me down rather than run. And when I hit it, it had a star in its name and came right for me. :(

• GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    On the exploration front I found a couple of cool things. First was a robot disposal site, and there was a big military robot there. I activated it, and didn't get too close on the off chance it would end me. Not far from that, I ran into some mutated deer. Which was fun, but I noticed one staring me down rather than run. And when I hit it, it had a star in its name and came right for me. :(

Oh golly! How could I have forgotten the greatest mod of them all?

Install this one and you'll get mowed down by THE RADDEST STAG instead of some legendary whatever.

(and this one if you're a little bored of the existing loading screens)

Glazius on
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Is any one else here excited for the Creation Club? It sounds promising to me.

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Spent a day in-game setting up the Red Rocket post outside of Sanctuary in my Survival run, after I designated an extra hand to run provisions to it. It's walled off with a couple entrances that are more or less on the same side. Guard towers are set to overlook things pretty damn well, turrets in place to cross-fire anything running in. All crafting posts were moved to the garage, and the rest of the building has as many beds as I can fit (while accessible). I built a template-based 'farm' just along the back of the building to put in some more beds. Not enough for max capacity but close enough. Setting up the radio beacon produced one guy immediately, so I gave him some raider gear, an old modified 10mm pistol I had, and set him to guard the entrance.

I don't mind the way it is setup at all. It's more of a Minutemen barracks / checkpoint, for the provisions that will be coming through it.

If you want to fully optimize your defenses and/or pull back the curtain, I think it's the Settlement Management Software mod that lets you turn on markers where settlement assaulters spawn.

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular

In unrelated news my Survival Mode run of Fallout 4 is going much better than I would've hoped. Food isn't a problem for me, water isn't a problem (YAY refilling bottles at water sources). The one time I died was the one time I died. I did have a close call with a couple of mirelurks but survived.

I dunno if this is a Survival Mode intent or a mod I got doing something intentionally or not, but bodies do NOT persist for long in this file. In my starter game, the bodies from the Concord fight stayed around for a while and I was able to leave and come back later to loot. In this current file, I came back and oops a bunch of shit despawned. Not all of it, but the bulk.

I have that issue as well, I think it is intentional. I have definitely had bodies rot in very little ingame time, a day or two at most. Probably to add more significance to the weight changes.

In regards to the unofficial patches, I think it really depends. I think outright balance changes should be kept in seperate esps even if clearly unintentional (for example, I think it is pretty obvious the devs didn't intend to have ballistic weave work the way it does in regards to hats and possibly even armor-wearable clothes, but I wouldn't want to see that in a patch. Its a judgement call in a lot of cases though. For example, Star Paladin cross in fo3 was assigned the wrong class making her melee attack with her default weapon not scale, is fixing it a balance change or bug?

• The Big LevinskyThe Big Levinsky Registered User regular

If you want to fully optimize your defenses and/or pull back the curtain, I think it's the Settlement Management Software mod that lets you turn on markers where settlement assaulters spawn.

That only works if you're in the settlement when the bad guys spawn. If you have to fast travel to the settlement, the game tries to simulate enemies moving in the meantime and can spawn them anywhere when you arrive - including completely walled off areas. I've always wondered if the way to go was elevated settlements because I'm not sure if the game would be smart enough to move enemies up rather than just at a random point on the map.

• BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Messing around more with sim settlements, I can't seem to get my assigned commercial zone settlers to actually stay in their shops. Not sure if it's because I assigned named settlers like the Longs, or if it's because in Sanctuary there's that infernal house that everyone loves to hammer during the day. Seriously I tried to wall/fence off that stupid house but they'll just clip/warp through them to hammer at nothing.

• CuddlyCuteKittenCuddlyCuteKitten Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Messing around more with sim settlements, I can't seem to get my assigned commercial zone settlers to actually stay in their shops. Not sure if it's because I assigned named settlers like the Longs, or if it's because in Sanctuary there's that infernal house that everyone loves to hammer during the day. Seriously I tried to wall/fence off that stupid house but they'll just clip/warp through them to hammer at nothing.

Sometimes they bug. You might need to hit the shop with the hammer. I've had it twice in two different settlements but it was easy to resolve.

Also holy shit the new patch coming tomorrow adds so much stuff to sim settlements.

Which are the biggest places to build new settlements?
    I have sanctuary which is basically already maxed (18 for me), starlight drive in is maxed. The island is pretty large but I can't get to it yet. Sunshine tidings and co-ops would be amazing if not for the extremely annoying houses being in the way. :/

Edit: Apparently scrap everything should solve this and some other things that spring cleaning couldn't remove.

It sucks so bad having to work the entire weekend when my SO is away when I would much rather be playing Fallout. :(

CuddlyCuteKitten on
    waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaow - Felicia, SPFT2:T
    Glazius wrote: »

Oh golly! How could I have forgotten the greatest mod of them all?

Install this one and you'll get mowed down by THE RADDEST STAG instead of some legendary whatever.

(and this one if you're a little bored of the existing loading screens)
    Oh neat, now two of my favorite games, FO4 and Etrian Odyssey, can merge into one experience.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB9lhfJeu2U

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

That only works if you're in the settlement when the bad guys spawn. If you have to fast travel to the settlement, the game tries to simulate enemies moving in the meantime and can spawn them anywhere when you arrive - including completely walled off areas. I've always wondered if the way to go was elevated settlements because I'm not sure if the game would be smart enough to move enemies up rather than just at a random point on the map.

I think the game only moves them if you try to fully enclose an area (no gate or doors). Otherwise, they've always started at the spawn points for me.

Sometimes they bug. You might need to hit the shop with the hammer. I've had it twice in two different settlements but it was easy to resolve.

Also holy shit the new patch coming tomorrow adds so much stuff to sim settlements.

Which are the biggest places to build new settlements?
    I have sanctuary which is basically already maxed (18 for me), starlight drive in is maxed. The island is pretty large but I can't get to it yet. Sunshine tidings and co-ops would be amazing if not for the extremely annoying houses being in the way. :/

Edit: Apparently scrap everything should solve this and some other things that spring cleaning couldn't remove.

It sucks so bad having to work the entire weekend when my SO is away when I would much rather be playing Fallout. :(

Abernathy Farm has the highest build ceiling of any settlement. It's seriously high. I started work on a condo and I want to say I got like 30 or 40 stories into the sky.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    The Fallout 4 Unofficial Patch is solid. I recommend it. The Changelog is available for people to look over.

It really is just heaps and heaps of bug fixes. Stuff like random perk mags not actually applying bonuses, tooltips that say it does X when it actually does Y, graphical glitches, quest bugs, Eyebot lasers not actually being set to Energy weapon status, a myriad of typos, etc, etc.

I'm still waiting for someone to fix the damn combat armor making your character look fat if you're wearing it on top of anything that isn't a BoS soldier uniform and one other piece of clothing I can't remember off the top of my head.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    Hah the Unofficial Patch requires all of the DLC? That's incredibly stupid. They sure are locked in a deathgrip with their desire to never make them modular ever under any circumstances.

I just had an amazing moment.

I went back to that quarry that's flooded over and holy shit it's a raider camp now. After a fight with a couple of them at ground level, I brought out my hunting rifle and started getting to work picking off a ton of raiders one by one. Problem is it was a long process for two reasons. First, I had to make sure I remained hidden (I have 1 agility by the way so my stealth math in the game is weak as shit). Two, the weather was bad. ALWAYS bad. First, it was foggy. Then a dust storm rolled in. Then heavy rain, which let me get the bulk of the work done. Then another dust storm. And then a rad storm, and a dust storm. By the time the last dust storm rolled in, I was starting to make my way through the area to scavenge from the bodies. The weather finally cleared up and I was out of there at like 2am.

Still gotta go back for containers and such I didn't pick through. Also on my way there, apparently there's androids in this game because I fought some and it took me a couple tries to get them.

On that note, question: There's a camp just outside Concord on the way to that quarry I mentioned, and it seems to respawn (with different stuff) like every half day. Is that normal?

edited June 2017
    I completely forgot to include Classic Fallout Music which I love to the point of not even using the radio on my current playthrough. The only thing I don't like is how goddamn loud the main menu music is compared to everything else, to the point that I had to delete the track for it.

Strikor on
    edited June 2017
    God help me i'm going to install and play Fallout 4 again aren't I.

Damn you all.

E: Using this Alternate Start mod, of course.

Aistan on
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    I just had an amazing moment.

I went back to that quarry that's flooded over and holy shit it's a raider camp now. After a fight with a couple of them at ground level, I brought out my hunting rifle and started getting to work picking off a ton of raiders one by one. Problem is it was a long process for two reasons. First, I had to make sure I remained hidden (I have 1 agility by the way so my stealth math in the game is weak as shit). Two, the weather was bad. ALWAYS bad. First, it was foggy. Then a dust storm rolled in. Then heavy rain, which let me get the bulk of the work done. Then another dust storm. And then a rad storm, and a dust storm. By the time the last dust storm rolled in, I was starting to make my way through the area to scavenge from the bodies. The weather finally cleared up and I was out of there at like 2am.

Still gotta go back for containers and such I didn't pick through. Also on my way there, apparently there's androids in this game because I fought some and it took me a couple tries to get them.

On that note, question: There's a camp just outside Concord on the way to that quarry I mentioned, and it seems to respawn (with different stuff) like every half day. Is that normal?

Survival in general is only supposed to respawn after an especially long time (IIRC 30 days game time after last visit), but there are some wierd straggler areas that don't seem to have been affected and respawn frequently, every day or so. For example there seems to be a bridge in far harbor just outside that constantly spawns either 2 super mutants or a pair of frag mines (protip- for the sake of sanity be sure to eventually dump 3 points into sneak for the immunity to traps and mines.). And various camps have one single raider or supermutant that respawns occasionally.

I completely forgot to include Classic Fallout Music which I love to the point of not even using the radio on my current playthrough. The only thing I don't like is how goddamn loud the main menu music is compared to everything else, to the point that I had to delete the track for it.
    I actually like the music in Fallout 4, I was kind of expecting to just ignore it / generally just have some white noise. But overall, it's appealing and highlights moments appropriately.

My favorite thing from New Vegas was the overgrown vault. I barely touched the first Fallout but recognized this immediately and the sucker in me for vg music was pleased as shit.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf7l_em3nrs

Speaking of things I forgot: Quick Trade lets you trade with companions, settlers, and merchants with a single keypress.

• GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    .On that note, question: There's a camp just outside Concord on the way to that quarry I mentioned, and it seems to respawn (with different stuff) like every half day. Is that normal?

Some wilderness areas are random encounter nodes and they'll cough up a little somethin' somethin' at a faster rate than overworld and underworld dungeons repopulate.

Glazius wrote: »
    .On that note, question: There's a camp just outside Concord on the way to that quarry I mentioned, and it seems to respawn (with different stuff) like every half day. Is that normal?

Some wilderness areas are random encounter nodes and they'll cough up a little somethin' somethin' at a faster rate than overworld and underworld dungeons repopulate.
    I found another one, a crashed airline. When I first found it, scavengers and raiders were duking it out (either winner hated my presence).

When I went for my "pick up what was left behind" trip, I forgot to bring freaking Dogmeat (I told him to stay in Sanctuary while I did something, forgot to have him follow again). So SURPRISE there were Super Mutants there, one of them being a suicider which is a fucking thing and another was legendary. I managed to fight them all with some run and gun, but when I got back to the site with the little distance I ran, FUCKING GHOULS.

At any rate I'm glad to hear that's an intended thing.

I found and upgraded my first combat shotgun, and just in time I got the next rank of the scrounger perk which means shells are in plentiful supply and hnnngh this thing kicks a lot of ass. <3

I went through the Olivia satellite base with it. I mean it was fucking brutal, I wasn't in any danger at all. What DID put me in danger was the group of raiders I ran into on my run through the woods to Sanctuary. Yay survival mode!

Combat Shotguns, while superior to the double-barrel, will never be superior to the double-barrel.

Axen wrote: »
    Combat Shotguns, while superior to the double-barrel, will never be superior to the double-barrel.
    On the one hand, combat shotguns suck in style. And I don't mean how they look, how they operate too. On the other hand... the narrowed spread is more accented in this game than any other. I wish there was a pump shotgun in this game otherwise I'd use that.

Shotties are my favorite weapon in shooter games. I looked up what FO4 has on hand and it's sad that in the base game (even with DLC) there's only two types, and two uniques associated with just one of those types.

edited June 2017
    Axen wrote: »
    On the one hand, combat shotguns suck in style. And I don't mean how they look, how they operate too. On the other hand... the narrowed spread is more accented in this game than any other. I wish there was a pump shotgun in this game otherwise I'd use that.

Shotties are my favorite weapon in shooter games. I looked up what FO4 has on hand and it's sad that in the base game (even with DLC) there's only two types, and two uniques associated with just one of those types.

My biggest real complaint with the Combat Shotgun is that it is the same model as the Combat Rifle.

And I too would have loved a pump action.

Axen on
    You might give Remington 870 a try.

Uh oh, I noticed something heading south of one of the settlements I've found. Enemy snipers are spotting me way before I spot them. None of them have hit me worth a damn, unless I stick around too long.

Also not digging that a single grenade hit of any sort downs me in Survival mode. I mean, it makes sense, I basically have to wait for a grenade to be thrown, run, and THEN fight back. Move speed is cut back a lot when you reload and the times I've been hit by explosives tend to be during or because of that. Enemies don't spam them either so it's a good enough strategy for now.

I found a super mutant behemoth. I took a shot, it ran toward me, and as I turned to run away I noticed it was picking up something. I didn't see what. All I know is suddenly it hit me from behind and I was dead.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Uh oh, I noticed something heading south of one of the settlements I've found. Enemy snipers are spotting me way before I spot them. None of them have hit me worth a damn, unless I stick around too long.

Also not digging that a single grenade hit of any sort downs me in Survival mode. I mean, it makes sense, I basically have to wait for a grenade to be thrown, run, and THEN fight back. Move speed is cut back a lot when you reload and the times I've been hit by explosives tend to be during or because of that. Enemies don't spam them either so it's a good enough strategy for now.

I found a super mutant behemoth. I took a shot, it ran toward me, and as I turned to run away I noticed it was picking up something. I didn't see what. All I know is suddenly it hit me from behind and I was dead.

The Dense chest armor mod that reduces damage from explosions can be really handy in survival mode.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772

The Dense chest armor mod that reduces damage from explosions can be really handy in survival mode.
    I keep thinking the one that prevents being set on fire is more important but... I'll give it a shot. Does it make it possible to survive an explosion, or?

I'm thinking of getting a set uniform made for anyone that's in my settlements. That way I can tell who has been assigned to a task and who is a new arrival. The Minutemen probably have a uniform right? I could replicate that. I'm not finding much in the way of energy weapons though, no laser muskets yet. :(

edited June 2017

I keep thinking the one that prevents being set on fire is more important but... I'll give it a shot. Does it make it possible to survive an explosion, or?

I'm thinking of getting a set uniform made for anyone that's in my settlements. That way I can tell who has been assigned to a task and who is a new arrival. The Minutemen probably have a uniform right? I could replicate that. I'm not finding much in the way of energy weapons though, no laser muskets yet. :(

Minutemen do have uniforms. I typically use that one for my guards, farmers' clothes for farmers, lab coat for the doctor, everyone else more or less in whatever.

Speaking of Minutemen I am a big fan of the We Are The Minutemen mod, specifically the Basic version. What the basic version of the mod does is help keep the Minutemen somewhat useful throughout the game.

The way things work in vanilla is that the BoS/Railroad/Institute are all upgraded as you level up, but the Minutemen are not. At level 1 if you call for Minutemen backup you're gonna get a couple of guys with no armor and sawed-off double-barrels/pipe weapons. At level 30 if you call the Minutemen you're gonna get a couple of guys with no armor and sawed-off double-barrels/pipe weapons.

With the mod installed the Minutemen will get better armor and weapons as you level up making them competitive with everything else that is also leveling up and upgrading as you play. So when you call for Minutemen backup at level 30 you're gonna get a handful of guys with dogs who are wearing metal/combat armor and carrying higher tiered ballistic and some energy weapons.

The Enhanced version of the mod comes with a ton of extra things and functionality which you may or may not like, but at a minimum I'd say the Basic version is worth getting as it just makes the Minutemen stay competitive.

Axen on
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

I haven't been hit by grenades in a while now that I have much better stealth (which also means mines aren't a huge issue most times either) and the good sense to run sooner rather than later but the few times I have have just crippled limbs instead of instantly killing me.

Good energy weapons take a bit to show up in good number. Institute weapons obviously drop en masse from synth enemies. You'll sometimes randomly loot a laser pistol/rifle/shotgun but they're mostly the domain of Gunners and BoS members. Even if you don't become hostile to them, BoS patrols often get themselves killed going against Gunners and super mutants. Laser muskets are mostly placed loot though. No enemy group normally uses them.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    I fell into the trap of trying to recreate an actual person's face ingame for my themed playthrough, which is impossible. I know it doesn't really matter because i'm the only person who is going to see it, but it still frustrates me.

This discussion has been closed.