As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Liquor, liqueor and cocktails

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    #pipe wrote: »
    I mean any kind of flavoured liqueor can be used in a martini variation. Vodka, 99 bananas, ice, shake.

Flavoured daiquiris are also good - white rum, simple syrup, 99 bananas, ice, blend

This post reminded me of a drink recipe that called for dark rum, which led me to wondering what the darkest rum available is.
    In searching, I learned that Adult Movie Hall Of Famer Ron Jeremy has a rum named after him.
    Something something whipped cream in your face.

Ron de Jeramy is both hard to find and the best rum I've ever had. I love explaining this to people.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Hey everyone,

My brother's Bachelor party is coming up and I would love to get a good (Doesn't have to be amazing) bourbon/whiskey/scotch to have a toast with. Any suggestions? Probably $60 for enough to serve 10 is around my budget.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    I am a Jameson man myself. It's got history, it's a nice mellow whiskey, and you can get half a gallon of it for $50-60 in most markets.

Which, for 10 people, is about 4 shots or 2-3 glasses on the rocks apiece.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    I will resurrect some ideas I posted on that some months ago!

1 each Four Roses Small Batch and Henry McKenna Bottled-in-Bond bottles at that price. Maybe a bit over $60 for both but should be good. If they're not picky 2 bottles of Eagle Rare will cover as well.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Bulleit makes a really lovely bourbon and it's very reasonably priced.

• Options

1 each Four Roses Small Batch and Henry McKenna Bottled-in-Bond bottles at that price. Maybe a bit over $60 for both but should be good. If they're not picky 2 bottles of Eagle Rare will cover as well.

These guys are not picky. My brother would live on Jack In The Box if his fiancée would let him. That is the extent of his palate.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Penderyn Madiera 46 (not the 41, that's nice but not as good) is a triple gold medal winner from Wales that should impress just about anybody, even super-picky whiskey snobs. It's ~$90/bottle here in Australia which means it should be somewhere around the $50-60/bottle mark in the 'States.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

These guys are not picky. My brother would live on Jack In The Box if his fiancée would let him. That is the extent of his palate.

Get a bottle of Laphroiag 10 Year for about $50 and destroy their palates with the peat. :wink:

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular

I was actually gonna post earlier that I recommend the McKenna Bottled in Bond which you previously recommended.

• Options
    These are all awesome suggestions. I hope the liquor store can bear them out.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    So when we visited Portland this past spring we got a bottle of a locally produced raspberry vodka by a distillery called Wild Roots. It's honestly the best flavored vodka I've ever had, it's basically its own cocktail. It isn't distributed down here in LA, but my girlfriend managed to find a place online that would ship it to us, so now we finally have another bottle. If you can find it the stuff is amazing, seriously.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    my drink of choice lately has been moscow mules with cheap vodka and diet ginger beer. very low cal and very cheap. i highly recommend it

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    my drink of choice lately has been moscow mules with cheap vodka and diet ginger beer. very low cal and very cheap. i highly recommend it

The ginger beer is actually the most important ingredient to a Moscow mule. It can be quite different depending on the brand you choose.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Get a bottle of Laphroiag 10 Year for about $50 and destroy their palates with the peat. :wink:

That's what I have right now, along with a local whiskey I got to keep my whiskey sour fixation going.

Also picked up a bottle of locally made Bloody Mary mix and some Tito's vodka.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular

My favourites:

Colonel E. H. Taylor bottled-in-bond straight rye
    High West Double Rye
    Old Forrester 1897 bottled-in-bond bourbon
    Oban (scotch)

I'm pretty confident that in the States you can get those for around sixty, but it's been almost a year since I left the Land of Affordable Liquor, so.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    edited June 2017

The ginger beer is actually the most important ingredient to a Moscow mule. It can be quite different depending on the brand you choose.

I've been drinking a bunch of dark & stormys lately, and it's the same story. Gosling's and Bundaberg is the light, but I'm totally ok with Cruzan Blackstrap, so long as I have the Bundaberg

shalmelo on
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    High West is $40, while Oban is $80.

Very market-sensitive.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I mean any kind of flavoured liqueor can be used in a martini variation. Vodka, 99 bananas, ice, shake.

Flavoured daiquiris are also good - white rum, simple syrup, 99 bananas, ice, blend

This post reminded me of a drink recipe that called for dark rum, which led me to wondering what the darkest rum available is.
    In searching, I learned that Adult Movie Hall Of Famer Ron Jeremy has a rum named after him.

Ron de Jeramy is both hard to find and the best rum I've ever had. I love explaining this to people.

I'm annoyed that it isn't called Rum Jeremy.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    shalmelo wrote: »

I've been drinking a bunch of dark & stormys lately, and it's the same story. Gosling's and Bundaberg is the light, but I'm totally ok with Cruzan Blackstrap, so long as I have the Bundaberg

I like Reed's Extra Ginger when spending a little more and Vernor's (or diet Vernor's) when I'm trying to save a few bucks.

• Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular

I actually enjoyed his rum when I tried it at a buddy's place. We've had it a couple times, actually. Good sipping booze.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

Also bring cheap cigars and make them do both at the same time. It's enjoyable and someone will probably throw up. Perfect for a bachelor party.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Gin and grape energy drink was pretty great after work today

• Options
    Ended up going with Colonel E. H. Taylor's Small Batch. I'm really excited to break it out tomorrow!

• Options
    It was awesome. Needs a couple minutes to breath in the glass, then it is smooth.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    It's also over $300 in Australia...

• Options
    It's also over $300 in Australia...

Holy Fuck.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    THIS IS WHY I MAKE PEOPLE BRING ME ALCOHOL.

Chris I could try to bring some to PAX Aus maybe.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options

Very generous of you, but no need. I'm happy drinking the cheap stuff!

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular

Singapore is also fucked in that regard though right? (I'm assuming you'd be sourcing this from the USA somehow though)

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The parents of my girlfriend make a lot of stuff with berries themselves and they and us some blackberry juice/liquor bottle (I think the are some whole berries in there) to be topped up with some brandy.

What would you combine that with?

• Options

Singapore is also fucked in that regard though right? (I'm assuming you'd be sourcing this from the USA somehow though)

Yes, that's what I meant.

The prices for alcohol, at least between here and Sydney, were approximately the same (aka vomitously expensive) with some variance based on type of booze. On average you can expect to pay 2x the U.S. price regardless of whether it's an alcohol from the U.S. or elsewhere.

So basically when someone comes to visit you or when you leave the country and come back, you have them go, or you yourself go, to the liquor store.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    I would like to not talk about how much I've paid for bottles whiskey in this country, because it is embarrassing.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    I would like to not talk about how much I've paid for bottles whiskey in this country, because it is embarrassing.

We can agree on this.

• Options
    I think the secret is to make it clear that you're willing to go to war with George Washington at the height of his power and popularity rather than put up with expensive whiskey. Did wonders here.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    But George Washington's been dead for 218 years, you can't go to war against a dead man! Should we just start a war against liquor importers and legislators that put huge taxes on alcohol instead?

• Options
    Can't hurt.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    @honovere

Best way of using a homemade blackberry liqueur (I mean, besides just drinking it over ice!) is to make a Bramble; gin, liqueur, lemon juice, simple syrup.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Does Australia have some reason they're not distilling their own hooch?

Like, it wouldn't fix the import price problem, which sounds terrible, but at least having a local option would ameliorate things some (and could, in the long run, begin applying an economic pressure to fix the importation issues).

• Options
    Local distilleries mostly charge like wounded bulls because they're boutique places that make their stuff out of hen's teeth and unicorn farts. Or they don't, but they bottle tiny runs and then because of the limited supply and high demand bottleshops mark them up 50-100% anyway.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Yeah our local distilleries are all aiming at the craft market, and price accordingly.
    The big global distributors of mediocre liquors are pretty affordable, so if you just want to get your drunk on they've got you covered, everything else is usually in the 60-100 range.

I just kind of accept it and only buy stuff I cant get in the us. Our local gin scene is very good, I've not investigated the Tasmanian whiskies but I hear good stuff.