As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV:Stormblood] Rise of a New Sun (Patch 4.2) rises Jan 30th [Prelim Patch Notes]

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    So, question about roulettes and bonuses.

If I do say a leveling roulette (that has a tank bonus) on something that isn't a tank, I know I get the daily bonus for doing the roulette. But if I then do it again with a tank, do I get the tank bonus? Or is that gone because I already did the roulette?

The Role In Need bonus is available every time, not just the first one each day.

It's been a reliable part of my gil income.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, question about roulettes and bonuses.

If I do say a leveling roulette (that has a tank bonus) on something that isn't a tank, I know I get the daily bonus for doing the roulette. But if I then do it again with a tank, do I get the tank bonus? Or is that gone because I already did the roulette?

Daily and in need are separate bonuses, and in need is always available.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Oh, good. I've been using leveling for my BRD so I can get on with the MSQ, but would like to level a tank, too. Thanks guys!

• BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    Earthly Star might be my favourite ability in the game.

There's just something incredibly satisfying about getting the timing on it just right.

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Final boss spoilers
    Can you really accept Zenos when given the choice ?

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Final boss spoilers
    Yes. He says something like "would you really throw away your hatred so easily" and then does the exact same thing.

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Final boss spoilers
    Yes. He says something like "would you really throw away your hatred so easily" and then does the exact same thing.
    he also calls you his first friend.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I couldn't sleep and got up early. Got the second primal fight of Stormblood done! That fight was super fun.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    I couldn't sleep and got up early. Got the second primal fight of Stormblood done! That fight was super fun.

2nd Favorite fight theme too.

steam_sig.png
  • QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular

I've been doing some MSQ in the morning before work and it's nice while mainlining the morning's coffee.

I went over to the Wolves Den Pier this morning to play around with the PVP actions and I like how that works.

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I made a fair bit of progress in the ARR patched MSQ yesterday, stopping at Leviathan. I'm a little confused by its structure, as some of it seemed intended for people who were considerably below Lvl. 50 (why is Temple of Qarn part of this questline?), and yet none of it really yields any EXP as, you know, it assumes you're at what was then max level. Also, it's super rude that they're all "hey, there's a story reason Vesper Bay doesn't have an Aetheryte, so we're moving to Mor Dhona!" and then they keep making you go to Vesper Bay for bullshit fetch quests.

So I totally understand why folks are just saying "pay some money and skip that shit".

• TakelTakel Registered User regular
    The backtracking was intended to flush people through the older content to allow those who were starting up a chance to get into those duties. I'm not sure if roulettes existed back then.

But yes, this is a reoccurring theme throughout FFXIV. New content will sometimes have you backtrack through old content to provide additional manpower for those who are starting out.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    Holy crap...there's ~100 MSQs to complete for ARR before moving on to HW? I am finally on what I thought was the "last" ARR MSQ, but now have learned of this. Man...starting the game from scratch a few weeks before an expansion is a lot of work! And the sad thing is...they don't give you much XP at all...

Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Takel wrote: »
    The backtracking was intended to flush people through the older content to allow those who were starting up a chance to get into those duties. I'm not sure if roulettes existed back then.

But yes, this is a reoccurring theme throughout FFXIV. New content will sometimes have you backtrack through old content to provide additional manpower for those who are starting out.

That makes sense, though I'm still confused about the choice of that particular dungeon. I guess I should just be thankful it wasn't Aurum Vale.

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    They actually have slightly streamlined it, since they just give you the gear you need to continue now, and they took out the part that required you to do all the Guildhests in order to continue.

If you're not in a hurry, it's probably best to mix it with doing other stuff (like Beast Tribes, or the Hildibrand questline which unlocks some fun trials). The story does start getting good in the second half of 2.X though.

There is a ton of stuff to do in the game, so if you feel the MSQ or any other part is burning you out, you can always try and switch gears to something else. Unless you're really trying to get to the Stormblood areas asap.

metaghost wrote: »
    I made a fair bit of progress in the ARR patched MSQ yesterday, stopping at Leviathan. I'm a little confused by its structure, as some of it seemed intended for people who were considerably below Lvl. 50 (why is Temple of Qarn part of this questline?), and yet none of it really yields any EXP as, you know, it assumes you're at what was then max level. Also, it's super rude that they're all "hey, there's a story reason Vesper Bay doesn't have an Aetheryte, so we're moving to Mor Dhona!" and then they keep making you go to Vesper Bay for bullshit fetch quests.

So I totally understand why folks are just saying "pay some money and skip that shit".

I think it's slightly faster to get to Vesper Bay via Limsa Lominsa > Arcanist Guild > take the ferry.

• SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    I just finished 2.1 last night so I don't know if I need it anymore, but I originally happened to set my free Aetheryte spot to Horizon months ago before I even knew there was anything special about Vesper Bay, so I just took the trip over that way each time.

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Smoogy wrote: »
    Holy crap...there's ~100 MSQs to complete for ARR before moving on to HW? I am finally on what I thought was the "last" ARR MSQ, but now have learned of this. Man...starting the game from scratch a few weeks before an expansion is a lot of work! And the sad thing is...they don't give you much XP at all...

Be thankful they give you any at all, when they first came out they didn't! But yeah 101 quests from 2.0 until 3.0. I believe someone somewhere said that if you do them all on the same job you end up being at 53 by the time you get to HW. Not sure the validity of that but you should be at least at 52.

steam_sig.png
  • SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    I'm already 53 just because of dungeon finders, etc. and being lazy finishing the main ARR quests :) I'm sure I'll be at like 55 by the time I get to HW just because of duties and such.

Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    I didn't notice bhavacakra has a cooldown. that's fitting for ninja I suppose, gotta have more shitty cooldown abilities. 150 potency every 50 seconds is practically mug level bad. it also unlocks 2 levels later for some reason. I really don't understand why they made it this way.

Jars wrote: »
    I didn't notice bhavacakra has a cooldown. that's fitting for ninja I suppose, gotta have more shitty cooldown abilities. 150 potency every 50 seconds is practically mug level bad. it also unlocks 2 levels later for some reason. I really don't understand why they made it this way.

It's 550 potency. Attacks at that level are almost always on a cooldown.

• videobobbovideobobbo Registered User regular
    McMoogle wrote: »
    Smoogy wrote: »

Be thankful they give you any at all, when they first came out they didn't! But yeah 101 quests from 2.0 until 3.0. I believe someone somewhere said that if you do them all on the same job you end up being at 53 by the time you get to HW. Not sure the validity of that but you should be at least at 52.

I hit 52 doing them and no other real content outside of that.

Which I then abandoned to take a Heavensward job, but hey! Armory bonus!

By the end of the ARR post-patch stuff, I liked the story direction but those quests are brutal. Not a lot of emphasis on the game's strengths, or on real gameplay. I came back with the returner bonus and used almost all my aetheryte tickets on teleporting around due to those damn quests!

80 ninki gauge is a cooldown. putting an additional cooldown on it makes it, like I said, a very bad ability. it's not like hellfrog is obsoleted by it because one is an aoe and one is single target. midare setsuguke does not have any sort of cooldown despite being 720 potency because it's limited by the sen gauge.

but no, gotta give ninjas more shitty cooldowns to press that don't line up at all for an insignificant damage increase.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

It's 550 potency. Attacks at that level are almost always on a cooldown.

Hellfrog is 400 AoE and no cooldown.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    And it's a giant red frog.

80 ninki gauge is a cooldown. putting an additional cooldown on it makes it, like I said, a very bad ability. it's not like hellfrog is obsoleted by it because one is an aoe and one is single target. midare setsuguke does not have any sort of cooldown despite being 720 potency because it's limited by the sen gauge.

but no, gotta give ninjas more shitty cooldowns to press that don't line up at all for an insignificant damage increase.

Midare Setsuguke requires eight GCDs to build to, plus a windup, and also requires the SAM to forgo either their DoT or group attack. In comparison, Bhavacakra is an oGCD attack that is easily woven into their combos. And 80 ninki isn't all that much of a cooldown.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Ninja does have a bunch of cooldowns, but it doesn't bother me. I'm still glad I have fewer GCDs and DOTs to juggle. I do a bunch of damage, I'm having fun with the class, I'm happy. I'm at 66, close to 67, so I don't have all my skills yet, so maybe my opinion will change. But for now, I'm ok.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Double cooldown is kinda weird.

Like, compare Hellfrog Medium and Bhavacackra to a DRK's Quietus and Bloodspiller. The DRK skills pull from a meter, but stay as GCDs.

Enlong wrote: »
    Double cooldown is kinda weird.

Like, compare Hellfrog Medium and Bhavacackra to a DRK's Quietus and Bloodspiller. The DRK skills pull from a meter, but stay as GCDs.

But that's exactly it - they're GCDs, and can't be woven in like an oGCD.

edited June 2017

Midare Setsuguke requires eight GCDs to build to, plus a windup, and also requires the SAM to forgo either their DoT or group attack. In comparison, Bhavacakra is an oGCD attack that is easily woven into their combos. And 80 ninki isn't all that much of a cooldown.

80 ninki is 14 auto attacks, which are the same as GCDs. so it actually takes longer to build up one ninki attack than midare. the other abilities aren't good comparisons either. it's not like ninja don't have to pick between aoe or single target. plus the dot does even more total damage than midare.

hellfrog does not have a cooldown- which is why the comparison between it and bhavacakra is so stark. both are very powerful, both have built in cooldowns, only one has a double cooldown.

Jars on
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

80 ninki is 14 auto attacks, which are the same as GCDs. so it actually takes longer to build up one ninki attack than midare. the other abilities aren't good comparisons either. it's not like ninja don't have to pick between aoe or single target. plus the dot does even more total damage than midare.

hellfrog does not have a cooldown- which is why the comparison between it and bhavacakra is so stark. both are very powerful, both have built in cooldowns, only one has a double cooldown.

Um, NIN's autos come out faster than SAM's by a decent bit.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    edited July 2017
    nin auto attacks take the same amount of time as our gcds, but even then 14 nin auto attacks = over 28 seconds and cannot be reduced. 8 sam GCDs = 20, minus whatever in skillspeed

Jars on
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    nin auto attacks take the same amount of time as our gcds, but even then 14 nin auto attacks = over 28 seconds and cannot be reduced. 8 sam GCDs = 20, minus whatever in skillspeed

Skill speed impacts auto attacks now.

The point of the double CD is for you to save up to it when it's up and spam frog when it's not.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Nin's Mug grants 30 Ninki gauge at lvl 66.

Renzo on
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I agree that the single target ninki move being on a cool down is kinda weird when the AOE one isn't.

Any other pairs of guage consuming moves like that, like fester/pain flare or SAM's aoe/single target guage burners, OR pairs of moves on a cool down like bloodletter/rain of death are all balanced around one doing more damage total to multiple targets and one doing more if there's only one target. And then you choose the more effective option.

It's a pretty singular design choice, especially for a class that already has a couple pretty non-interactive, long cool down single target attacks.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »

The point of the double CD is for you to save up to it when it's up and spam frog when it's not.

Skill Speed increases auto attack damage, not the rate of auto attacks I believe. There was a mistake in the writing of the patch notes, they had to post a correction.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Wow that Susanoo was pure spectacle. A+ would wipe again.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    Nin's Mug grants 30 Ninki gauge at lvl 66.

Yeah, but a 90 second CD is quite the limiting factor on Mug.

edited July 2017
    Tcheldor wrote: »

it impacts them just not the way that you think. skillspeed increases the damage on auto attacks not the speed because SE apparently really fuckin hates skillspeed.

mug is .6 ninki increase per auto attack, or a 1% increase. so nothing.

Jars on
This discussion has been closed.