As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Starbound] Has actually released!

1373839404143»

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Every super villain empire needs a specific set of minions, currently trying to decide between firearm toting penguins or people eating plantmen.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Every super villain empire needs a specific set of minions, currently trying to decide between firearm toting penguins or people eating plantmen.

go full disgaea on it

• WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Lucedes wrote: »
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

go full disgaea on it
    I agree; go with the Alraune.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    For any budding Protectors looking to start a station, I come bearing news that the 'huge core' expansion module has enough room to hold all the currently available crops, with a fair bit of wiggle room.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    1D4B78B657F49FC6402702BAF281850BE79AC40A

I've been taking a bit of a break from Starbound and I'm about to start playing again. Did a short stint on a friend's server but there didn't seem to be a lot of interest. I'm playing as the dread pirate Blackbot in the image above and I love the ship despite my customizing has room for improvement. I had to have something down for crew beds and I think I'd prefer sleeping bags over what I have now. I somehow missed the recipe for the lunar bed so until I get the pixel printer I can't do much. One more avian crew member and I can upgrade my ship again!

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Shogun wrote: »
    I somehow missed the recipe for the lunar bed so until I get the pixel printer I can't do much.

You know you can replay missions for stuff you missed, right?

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Ianator wrote: »
    I somehow missed the recipe for the lunar bed so until I get the pixel printer I can't do much.

I do I have not done it yet though. I had just planned on getting the pixel printer soon and making them that way.

edit: I am also super bummed I cannot remove the silly stone castle teleporter and replace it with another personal teleporter.

Shogun on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    @Shogun, what mod is that ship from? It's pretty cool-lookin

JtgVX0H.png
    Darmak wrote: »
    @Shogun, what mod is that ship from? It's pretty cool-lookin

do a search for 'Soma ship' on Starbound's steam workshop. I installed the one specifically for Glitch because I wanted to be a robot + motley crew, but I hate hate hated that stupid castle ship. I demand space stuff!

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular

I do I have not done it yet though. I had just planned on getting the pixel printer soon and making them that way.

Well I got some bad news for you. Lunar Beds aren't on the Pixel Printer list. You have to do the Mining Base mission and come across the Blueprint that way.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List

Well I got some bad news for you. Lunar Beds aren't on the Pixel Printer list. You have to do the Mining Base mission and come across the Blueprint that way.

bummer dude

• WyvernWyvern Registered User regular

I really hate how there's no rhyme or reason to want needs to be scanned, what needs a blueprint, and what just needs to be hunted down and hoarded. It used to be you could learn anything by physically feeding one to a printer and it was a lot simpler.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
    edited June 2017
    Wyvern wrote: »

I really hate how there's no rhyme or reason to want needs to be scanned, what needs a blueprint, and what just needs to be hunted down and hoarded. It used to be you could learn anything by physically feeding one to a printer and it was a lot simpler.

There's a mod that let's you learn the recipe of any item you scan that has a recipe so you can craft it. If it doesn't give you the recipe, it's because there either isn't one (some items without recipes can already be printed since the printer doesn't need a recipe), or you already know it. There are also other mods that add lots more stuff to the printer itself

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    That sort of stuff really faults my seg. That sleek looking cooking set on the outpost? The fridge can be 3d printed, but god help you if you want the microwave and cooking station, for those you have to go hunt them out in little NPC bunkers in the Tundra biome.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    i thought pretty much everything you scanned that turned from blue to orange could be printed

i thought pretty much everything you scanned that turned from blue to orange could be printed

Nope

JtgVX0H.png
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    I started playing this again

I've set up a starter farm on my first planet and just cleared the Floran Dungeon.

They have added a lot of stuff to this game that is new to me. Are there any general guides of all the things you can do now?

I guess just the main starbound wiki?

Al_wat on
    Yep, Starbounder is your place.

---

Meanwhile, I think I have to put the game down for a bit. I'm having a hard time mustering the will to seek out story scans. I was hoping to have the game "finished' last week but it doesn't look like that's happening.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    Yeah, story scans are rather a drag, especially where they aren't retroactive on things you've already scanned. I've taken to bookmarking worlds with relevant towns/dungeons for easy backtracking once that race comes up.

There's a mod that removes the need to scan anything for those quests. The same person that made that mod made others that do a similar thing, but only lower the number of things that need to be scanned.

JtgVX0H.png
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I started playing this again, really enjoying it.

I was exploring a desert world and went too deep into a pyramid dungeon thing, and died. Lost all my stuff as a result. I wish it was somewhat obvious what stuff gets dropped when you die, and what doesn't, as I'd probably be better about storing stuff if I did.

That salves are one of the things that you drop seems criminal to me. Or your entire crafting tab.

Twitch: Thawmus83
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I started playing this again, really enjoying it.

I was exploring a desert world and went too deep into a pyramid dungeon thing, and died. Lost all my stuff as a result. I wish it was somewhat obvious what stuff gets dropped when you die, and what doesn't, as I'd probably be better about storing stuff if I did.

That salves are one of the things that you drop seems criminal to me. Or your entire crafting tab.

The wiki says:
    Survival (default): Eat to survive, drop items on death.
    30% of pixels are lost. Items like food, blocks, and ores are scattered on the ground and can be picked up again by returning to where the player died. Tools and weapons are not dropped. You can't beam to your ship in front of background walls or deep underground unless using Teleporters.

JtgVX0H.png
    Yeesh.

Subscribed to the drop items disable mod. :)

I just play on casual, it's much less stressful

JtgVX0H.png
    Darmak wrote: »
    I just play on casual, it's much less stressful

I like a little stress. Losing tons of pixels and time and having to eat now and then is about all I want though. Losing items is where I draw the line.

• ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Anybody tips/hints for a new player? Basic stuff like early game priorities, upgrade paths, things to spend/not spend currency on?

Do's and don't basically, I'm just about to start for the first time.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
    edited June 2017
    Shimshai wrote: »
    Anybody tips/hints for a new player? Basic stuff like early game priorities, upgrade paths, things to spend/not spend currency on?

Do's and don't basically, I'm just about to start for the first time.

1) Unless you actively want the extra hassle of ores and stuff dropping when you die along with having to unspelunk your way back to the surface to beam to your ship, make a Casual difficulty character.
    2) Starting race is mostly cosmetic, with the notable exception that Novakid get craftable guns instead of craftable melee.
    3) Pull up all the cotton plants you find for their seeds so you can start a farm of them, you WILL be needing plenty of cotton to make your armors.
    4) Hang on to that broken sword from the tutorial, you can get it fixed later.
    5) Similarly, a lot of those quirky 'unique weapon' weapons you will find can later be upgraded to tier-6 effectiveness, so if you like them, hang on to them after you've outgeared them.
    6) Pressing alt highlights all interactables on the screen, including things hiding in the dark. Loot the hell out of every box you find for moneys and ores and such.
    7) If you see a block you'd like to build something with, mine up a bit, odds are picking it up gives you a recipe to craft it.
    :edit:
    8) There are two paths to upgrading the size of your ship. The first is to recruit crew from villagers by doing quests for them. The second isn't available until you've progressed the main story a bit, and lets you buy them for pixels.
    9) The flags you can craft are able to be used as teleport bookmarks, if you find something you want to easily return to (like a planetside farm or a village you want to recruit crew from, for instance), put a flag on it. Be sure to interact with the flag to actually set the bookmark.

NEO|Phyte on
  • TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Note that you can teleport to flags you've placed underground. Made a lot of progress spelunking? Drop a flag, bookmark it so you can return if you perish...

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
    Takel wrote: »
    Note that you can teleport to flags you've placed underground. Made a lot of progress spelunking? Drop a flag, bookmark it so you can return if you perish...

this right here

this right here is a guy with his shit together

So the guy that made the Barrage Mech mod also posts pictures of his custom ships on reddit, and holy shit does he ever have an eye for detail. He's using several mods in addition to whichever one lets him build custom ships, such as the Avali Triage mod, and if you find his posts on reddit he will list exactly what he uses (his username is POHANY)

I'm going to link to a few of his pictures because they're nearly 3MB each so I can't inline them on the forums, but they're definitely worth looking at.

http://i.imgur.com/LyjxMsh.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/aaSpd9a.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/asloknk.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/TxEv4lN.jpg

JtgVX0H.png
    Fiddling around with stations some more, it is notably annoying how limited some things are. The room modules have doors on all facings and there isn't an option to go 'I don't care about that facing's door' and be able to put it next to a module that doesn't connect to it. So either you make your station a solid block of rooms or you're stuck having buffer zones between rooms and corridors.

Also the costs are rather large, I'm half tempted to just turn on admin and spawn a stack or two of titanium, gold, silver, and copper wire.

NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Fiddling around with stations some more, it is notably annoying how limited some things are. The room modules have doors on all facings and there isn't an option to go 'I don't care about that facing's door' and be able to put it next to a module that doesn't connect to it. So either you make your station a solid block of rooms or you're stuck having buffer zones between rooms and corridors.

Also the costs are rather large, I'm half tempted to just turn on admin and spawn a stack or two of titanium, gold, silver, and copper wire.

I've actually put together a set of templates in Paint.NET so I can plan out my station before putting it together. Things get a bit more complicated with Frackin' Universe adding a couple of its own such as greenhouses. I did also install a Fully Customizable Modules mod which I'd love to try out soon.

As for costs... I certainly won't blame you for installing a 50% (or 90%) cost reduction mod. :bzz:

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    The more worlds I explore, trying to find the towns and dungeons to complete the main story, the less I enjoy exploration. Specifically, I hate how mobility in this game is a cruel joke. Call me spoiled by Terraria, but with each new world I land on, I dread landing on its surface only to find out it was a complete waste of time.

I hate falling deaths. I hate how there's no fall damage reduction. (And no, that's one thing I won't mod out.) I hate how there's no "oh shit!" grappling hook button. I hate how the grappling hook can sometimes fail to latch on at all. I hate the plodding slowness of my Mech. I hate how so few of the Techs feel like appreciable increases in mobility. I hate how you don't get to double-jump when using the Dash tech. I hate fumbling around with the hotbars to fend off the gorillionth little shitstain that's trying to kill me on sight. I hate the NPCs covering up things I'm trying to interact with.

Please, game. Please let me play you. Please let me finish you. Please let me enjoy you.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    Depending on exactly how fall damage works, the gravity EPP augment might negate it, all the wiki is telling me is that it halves the effect of gravity on you. The grappling hook needing to be in an active hand is rather a bummer, but such is the price of it being an actual handheld item instead of whatever witchery terraria people engage to use it without impacting one's ability to do things. I'm not sure I've ever seen it fail to latch aside from cases where it hits full extension before catching a block, which would happen in terraria as well. Not entirely sure I follow your dash tech complaint, do you mean you can't dash in the air? Use some tech cards to unlock air dash.

Mechs are indeed annoyingly slow, and also have no means of recharging when planetside. They are not unlike archwings in warframe, just sort of tacked on as a side thing without much actual overlap in regular gameplay.

Decided I should do something more interesting with my cosmetic stuff than simply chuck it in lockers.
    pyymYoJ.jpg
    Ran out of copper to make the mannequins though. Also snagged a mod for those hat-only mannequins.
    Thing to note: if sprites start overlapping, whichever object was placed last is the one that is on the top of the overlap stack. So if you've got some of the more elaborate cosmetic stuff on a mannequin in a busy area, place the mannequin last so things don't get overlapped by lights or the like.

Finally managed to beat the Ruin. Now debating whether I want to continue with this save or start over with a new Apex character and spend my days immersed in Frackin'.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    edited July 2017
    Finally managed to beat the Ruin. Now debating whether I want to continue with this save or start over with a new Apex character and spend my days immersed in Frackin'.

Pro tip: If you haven't already created a non-ship construction somewhere, start one. I have mine on a space station I'm steadily filling with things. Put a teleporter in it. Write down the coordinates of the system you drop it in. When your new characters get to the point they can FTL, visit the place long enough to tag the teleporter. You now have a central base for your dudes and dudettes.

Also, my hunt for shinies to put on my mannequins really makes me wish for some sort of mod with craftable goodie bags that give you drops equivalent to a biome/minibiome/dungeon's loot chest. Because it is a major hassle to fly around skimming planets to see if they even have the minibiome you're after, much less any actual chests to have a shot at the goodies.

:edit: also I got around to getting more copper for my mannequin building.
    5GWWZVo.jpg

NEO|Phyte on