As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bohemia Interactive presents DayZ 1.0 or: Wait, It's Actually Out of Early Access?

• Ash of YewAsh of Yew Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Battlegrounds patch notes: http://steamcommunity.com/games/578080/announcements/detail/1271550628459839077

Of note, slower end circles (yahoooo) and this:
    Which explains why I've hated the acog and felt like scopes in general were fucked up.
    Not a fan of the actual point of aim on the acog still though. Think it should be on top of the chevron, not under it...

Ash of Yew on
    In DayZ news, .62 is on experimental. They've redone the trees/foliage and changed up the map a bit. There's wind that actually affects the direction of smoke from smoke grenades and heli crashes, which is sorta neat.

It seems like you can't really hide in pines any more which is probably a bad thing.

Overall it looks nicer, but I just don't know that I'm terribly interested because I've never played DayZ for looks. I'll check it out on stable eventually, I wish they'd increase the loot though.

edited June 2017
    We're the best
    42C39FDEC1FF0454C5301137AC35DA66FEB2B9A8

Ash of Yew on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    i now own PubbaGump's Hunger Royale With Cheese

lemme know when you guys play

• vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    .62 is out on stable now.

Mostly visual improvements, some stability fixes.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
    The latest status report: https://dayz.com/blog/status-report-27-june-2017
    We have shown a number of roadmaps that have proved to be a failure on our part. Anticipating, or predicting the effect that the technology debt can have on development speed is a very hard endeavor - and we have learned the hard way. It has always been a good plan longterm for both the game and the company. But we all do believe that what DayZ is supposed to be has not been achieved yet, and we plan to deliver on that notion.

The rest of it reads fairly similar. I guess at least they can admit they've messed up. I do still think the game will be real neat when it's done, or at the very least provide an awesome platform for future mods/games. It's already been real fun, and I still think if they'd just put loot back on the coasts and return those other spawns it would still be an awesome time.

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Bororm yesterday killed eight people within the first three minutes of the game

In PUBG, of course

A gift from heaven, I could not resist.

This status report is from last week https://dayz.com/blog/status-report-8-august-2017

Apparently they are going to create a demo, of the beta, to be playable at Gamescom. That seems pretty bizarre to me, since I thought the point of early access is we get early access to the game... Not have to go to some convention to play the latest build.

There's a lot of info about changes in there that are worth reading. Some of them sound good, but I feel like the game is changing so much at this point that it's becoming a bit unrecognizable, and resembling some sort of generic EA rip off title if that makes sense. Even briefly jumping on the latest patch, while the environment improvements look pretty good, I can't help but feel like everything that was arma (and a large part of what made dayz interesting) is pretty much stripped at this point. There was a sense of immersion that feels missing now, which I believe was a result of the grittiness of the old engine.

But we'll see how it goes, the fundamentals of the gameplay aren't wildly different. Hopefully there's still lots of fun to be had going forward.

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    I think a lot of that magic that was lost, @Ash of Yew, was lost because the games trying to become too much of a apocalypse simulator.

I dont need intelligent wildlife following migration patterns with realistic predatory behavior, and I dont want to play Post-Apoc farming simulator 2017 (Unless..Hmm..Weaponized Combines sound very nice..actually..), and i dont want to sit here and play master mechanic to bring a car back to life.

I still contend, too, that the game is too artificially "big" because too many buildings are enter-able, which imho is a major problem with looting. Cause you have to explore every freaking cranny of every freaking room of every freaking building to find shit because its diluted so much over such a huge area.

Overall they massively increased the complexity of the game, for no increased rewards for doing it. the complexity just makes it way to hard find food, find gear, fix things, etc.

But the game has made progress, its 100% playable performance wise now. Can even enter cities without delving to negative numbers on the FPS counter, which IMHO it should have been at this state 3 years ago when it went early access but..whatevs.

Overall I agree that its lost a lot of magic, feels like it sacrificed its soul for pointlessly unnecessary complexity in the rush for a more simish experience.

edited August 2017
    I like the complexity but I agree with you that there isn't much reward for it. I think a major improvement would be reliable loot spawns. Fixing up a vehicle would be less issue if you had an extremely high chance of finding X required item in Y building. Sure, they got industrial/residential/military but the loot is so scarce/scattered that it isn't reliable. If I wanna log in just to use a mosin I should be able to accomplish that fairly quick. This was true of the mod. Leave the rarity to the items that deserve it like high end military loot.

That right there would get me back in a heart beat, because I could actually play the game without investing a day into the basics. Unfortunately brian hicks hates fun so now I have to wait for mods that will go overboard with 10000 vehicle/ultra high loot. But even that sounds better than the vanilla version at the moment.

Ash of Yew on
    edited August 2017
    Ash of Yew wrote: »
    I like the complexity but I agree with you that there isn't much reward for it. I think a major improvement would be reliable loot spawns. Fixing up a vehicle would be less issue if you had an extremely high chance of finding X required item in Y building. Sure, they got industrial/residential/military but the loot is so scarce/scattered that it isn't reliable. If I wanna log in just to use a mosin I should be able to accomplish that fairly quick. This was true of the mod. Leave the rarity to the items that deserve it like high end military loot.

That right there would get me back in a heart beat, because I could actually play the game without investing a day into the basics. Unfortunately brian hicks hates fun so now I have to wait for mods that will go overboard with 10000 vehicle/ultra high loot. But even that sounds better than the vanilla version at the moment.

Significantly reducing the number of enterable buildings, and thus reducing the number of loot nodes in a area, would probably be a great slapdash fix to the loot system.

Now that i think of it though, it seems like their entire approach to DayZ stand alone has been "more complexity for no reason/reward", especially with regards to loot cause they are so afraid someone might spend a couple hours trying to loot cycle an area and *gasp* actually find what they need to play the game!

I hate to say this because the game is finally making decent forward progress with shit, but god damn its 3 years in and a lot of these flaws are still here and barely being addressed in pursuit of shit like farming shit.

Arma 3 exile has a good loot system, you enter an area and nothing has spawned..but the longer you linger in the area, more and more stuff starts to spawn, rewarding the risk of lingering in an area and the effort for it..to a point depending on the type of area and buildings. Wont find RPG-7 in a shed if you hang around long enough :p

I mention Arma 3 exile cause I found a server done by a group of..well they are assholes, but they usually have a good server (assholes as in personality, not as in admin abuse). Been playing that, and had more fun in the first hour than i had in 6 with dayz..cause you can actually find stuff, which means you arent helpless against someone who spent 13 hours on the server and have a makarov for the effort

Buttcleft on
    edited August 2017
    @Platypus Beirut Where ya been Platy? I feel like I haven't seen you in a month!

Ash of Yew on
    The e-sport that is PUBG
    egshem138vxu.jpg

@Platypus Beirut Where ya been Platy?

rMnoQRq.jpg

Thanks for thinking of me! Just been busy.

Ah man I wanna be there!

Glad you're doing fine.

Ah man I wanna be there!

Glad you're doing fine.

Not enough cover, I bet theres some cunt on that mountain who has overwatch on the whole valley.

edited August 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgquR7cg_c8&feature=youtu.be

If I find a better video I'll post it. This is showcasing the demo/beta. A lot of changes.

Ugh jesus christ, they removed the zoom. I just don't know any more fellas. It feels like they are just diverging so much any more.

Ash of Yew on
    edited August 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgquR7cg_c8&feature=youtu.be

If I find a better video I'll post it. This is showcasing the demo/beta. A lot of changes.

Ugh jesus christ, they removed the zoom. I just don't know any more fellas. It feels like they are just diverging so much any more.

I think its funny that I'm actually to the point where I'm giving it guarded praise and now its @Ash of Yew thats going all ruined forever.

Not that I disagree with you at all, i still think its funny though.

Buttcleft on
    Haha I think we always wanted slightly different things out of it, so it makes sense =P

I mean, some of the changes are things I'm interested in. I really like the magazine loading/unloading, I hesitantly am interested in the new way you perform actions, I like that you're going to have to stop to open your inventory again. Things that maintain the feel and are just improved upon.

What I don't like is dumbing stuff down/stream lining for the sake of ease of access. Artificial clunkiness shouldn't be the goal obviously, but maintaining the sense of tension that was largely a part of old mechanics should be a priority. I think those things I just listed follow that. It's the other little things that bother me though.

Haha I think we always wanted slightly different things out of it, so it makes sense =P

I mean, some of the changes are things I'm interested in. I really like the magazine loading/unloading, I hesitantly am interested in the new way you perform actions, I like that you're going to have to stop to open your inventory again. Things that maintain the feel and are just improved upon.

What I don't like is dumbing stuff down/stream lining for the sake of ease of access. Artificial clunkiness shouldn't be the goal obviously, but maintaining the sense of tension that was largely a part of old mechanics should be a priority. I think those things I just listed follow that. It's the other little things that bother me though.

I think the only place we regularly butted heads on was the PvP aspect, where i wanted a mechanism to punish pointless PvP (Like Sniping people for no reason from a nest 1200m away and never even bothering to loot the bodies). I wasnt, and still am not, anti-PVP, I just think player interaction should take place at the sub-1km mark.

But Buttcleft, pointless PvP was and is all we engage in, everything we stand for as a group

One time Platy and I held up some literal kid and his friend on the airfield, and because of a bug where we couldn't actually see him pick up a gun and arm it, he shot us after we'd been very nice to them both. :[

One time Platy and I held up some literal kid and his friend on the airfield, and because of a bug where we couldn't actually see him pick up a gun and arm it, he shot us after we'd been very nice to them both. :[

Thats what makes dayz fun. the interactions. Sure some result in your death, but i'd rather die like that, than from a 1.2km sniper shot.

Quintessential DayZ, to me, is what happened in DayZ mod at the NWAF.

I just respawned, it was night, i had nothing. Spawned near Zeleno (I think, may have been Balota..), and found a Swag Tractor with a full tank of gas and good condition.

I jumped in that mother fucker and just beelined straight to the NWAF fullblown No Fucks Given Mode. Finally get there and start looting the southwest corner when a heavily armed team shows up in an armored humvee. I try to hide (at this time all I have is my hatchet), they tell me to hit the ground and drop my weapon. I complied, and they took it and dropped it on the other side of the area, and told me not to move.

Being the jaded user, i asked them "If you are gonna kill me, can you please just do it already so I can go do something else" and they said something along the lines of "We're almost done here, as long as you dont move we'll leave you alive and you'll have the airfield to yourself" So I sat patiently.

They finished, loaded up, told me thanks for complying and took off. I went on to loot the airfield.

Shit like that is 1000 times more fun to me.

I mean we had plenty of those encounters. It came to the point where pretty much any time we had some one holed up in a building, we were giving them the option to surrender. Some times with good results, some times not.
    But sniping people at 1 km is also super fun and satisfying.

That's what makes dayz fun is it has room for all play styles. And that's what's starting to worry me lately about development is that they're losing sight of that and now they want you to check 500 empty buildings and make a fire every time it rains and shit like that because "this is survival!" I think each of the survival mechanics by themselves don't hold water, they lack depth and are boring. So pvp and player interactions carry the game, just like you say and then those survival mechanics should just be there to force decision making.

Do I enter this town because I need matches/meds/food? Then you're forced into interacting with players who may also be there. Whether that's sniping them or talking to them, or holding them up is up to you at that point. They're all valid approaches.

I mean we had plenty of those encounters. It came to the point where pretty much any time we had some one holed up in a building, we were giving them the option to surrender. Some times with good results, some times not.
    But sniping people at 1 km is also super fun and satisfying.

That's what makes dayz fun is it has room for all play styles. And that's what's starting to worry me lately about development is that they're losing sight of that and now they want you to check 500 empty buildings and make a fire every time it rains and shit like that because "this is survival!" I think each of the survival mechanics by themselves don't hold water, they lack depth and are boring. So pvp and player interactions carry the game, just like you say and then those survival mechanics should just be there to force decision making.

Do I enter this town because I need matches/meds/food? Then you're forced into interacting with players who may also be there. Whether that's sniping them or talking to them, or holding them up is up to you at that point. They're all valid approaches.

I think the single biggest improvement to gameplay they could make is to close off/boardup 50-60% of the structures on the map. Its just pointless.

Have open and closed versions of each building if you must, so it can be enterable here, and unenterable there, but still.. its literally a needle in a hay stack, only somehow less fun.

I like the enterable buildings but they went overboard for sure. I think it would have been fine if they kept as many as they did in the mod, but they've increased the amount probably, literally, like 500% or so.

Then there's the broken car spawns and all that, which again are great, but they've put so many spawn points in the game and haven't upped the loot to match.

I think their CLE (central loot economy) is actually really good but they aren't utilizing it right. They should make it spawn loot where people are instead of the other side of the map. I totally get their idea to keep people moving but it feels like shit. They have so much more control over loot spawns now than the mod but they're using it in the dumbest way possible.

Bananas are back! oranges too
    thank god

685AAA0CABEFB490EB9354049FE078A5D44E5D87

edited September 2017
    Maybe we were wrong about Hicks. Him on removing the zoom:

Ash of Yew on
  • SamuraiGattsSamuraiGatts Bearded Bully Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    https://youtu.be/lWSkWRoUdmU

Gamescon build impressions by Minder (Mindy)

SamuraiGatts on
    edited September 2017
    https://youtu.be/lWSkWRoUdmU

Gamescon build impressions by Minder (Mindy)

Just what i love, a game with no means to get around the vast and empty wilderness..so lets make it harder to run and get anywhere.

Welcome back to coastal big brawl

Buttcleft on
    Yeah stamina bars are the laziest way to implement stamina. They at least have it differ based off weight but I still think a much much better system for DayZ would be flat run speeds affected by weight instead.

With only a marginal difference between the top end and low end. So that you'll outrun heavily equipped people, but not at an insane pace. It would also create a more interesting scenario where you would have to make decisions to escape a fight, ditching your gear for that extra speed. Or chasing people down for that matter. You could end up with cool situations where maybe you don't get the guy you're after but he drops his pack. It would also open up the potential for tricking people into thinking that's what you did, but circling back to camp your own pack and so forth.

Instead of just stamina bars which are boring as hell and more importantly don't FEEL good at all.

Yeah stamina bars are the laziest way to implement stamina. They at least have it differ based off weight but I still think a much much better system for DayZ would be flat run speeds affected by weight instead.

With only a marginal difference between the top end and low end. So that you'll outrun heavily equipped people, but not at an insane pace. It would also create a more interesting scenario where you would have to make decisions to escape a fight, ditching your gear for that extra speed. Or chasing people down for that matter. You could end up with cool situations where maybe you don't get the guy you're after but he drops his pack. It would also open up the potential for tricking people into thinking that's what you did, but circling back to camp your own pack and so forth.

Instead of just stamina bars which are boring as hell and more importantly don't FEEL good at all.

cant waste time doing interesting things like that, we have to perfectly simulate the wolf reproductive system!

I kinda wanna go to Komarovo again one of these days

https://youtu.be/zXgw8pTZjVQ

A bit of the new player movement. Looks like a start on getting rid of instant turns/zig zag running.

https://youtu.be/pJk_MMVr0Po

Bohemia has announced that DayZ is gonna finally enter beta sometime next year.

I was just watching some of our videos, what a game! It's been long enough that watching the way we do things is so different compared to something like PUBG. Everything is just so much clunkier and involved. Messing with ammo/mags especially, but just the way fights played out in general too.

• SamuraiGattsSamuraiGatts Bearded Bully Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Have any uploaded? EDIT: Nevermind, checked your youtube channel.

SamuraiGatts on