As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bad Advertising [Chat]

ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
edited July 2017 in Debate and/or Discourse
So the Hiroshima bombing managed to produce some of the most horrifyingly inappropriate advertising of all time. One of the buildings heavily damaged during the bomb blast was the Teikou Bank. Inside the Teikou bank were three vaults. Two of them had their doors blown off. The third however was undamaged. During the post bombing survey done by the US Military, this vault was discovered and someone wrote to the Mosler Safe Company. The following is what they claim the text of the letter was:
…In visiting the remains of the City of Hiroshima, I found in one of the three structures still standing, four large vaults built by the Mosler Safe Co. of Hamilton, O. The vaults were entirely intact and except for the exterior being burned and rusted there was no damage. Across the room from the American-made safes were two vaults made by the Takeucho Co. located at Tokyo. These were completely destroyed, their doors blown off the hinges, and the sides crushed. To me this was a very positive demonstration of the superiority of American equipment. No other test than that of the atomic bomb could have been more severe or exacting.

I assume some copy editor punched that text up. If not fabricated a bit.
KQO2J1x.jpg
SWkpfDr.jpg

Much of this ad copy would be reused and slightly altered by many banks using Mosler's Safes. It starts dropping off during the 60's and by the 70's it disappears. The company submitted various safes and items for testing during cold war nuclear weapons tests. Most of them were undamaged but the closest ones to the blasts were destroyed to the point of no remains to be found.
Q75BUMN.jpg

Thomamelas on

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    :bigfrown:

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    What's up with the discrepancy between the American sources calling it the "Teikou Bank" while the Japanese source calls it the "Teikoku Bank", I wonder

• HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    That's unfortunate advertising... but if you need a really sturdy bank vault...

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    What's up with the discrepancy between the American sources calling it the "Teikou Bank" while the Japanese source calls it the "Teikoku Bank", I wonder

I didn't notice. But given what I've seen from similar sources, I'm going to assume a typo creeped in.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    why am I awake at 6 am

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    I mean, if anything it's a solid sign of how these claims and story perpetuated without anyone going back to check the original source and realise they'd been using the wrong name

• BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    why am I awake at 6 am

The real one to blame is whomever invented 6am

BeNarwhal wrote: »
    why am I awake at 6 am

In old Japan, 6am (or sunrise) was called the Rabbit hour

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    *smirks rabbitically*

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
    why am I awake at 6 am

I can think of 3 reasons

why am I awake at 6 am

I can think of 3 reasons

I looked into it, and all of my reasons were a little right

a) It's when rabbits are typically very active

b) Something to do with breeding

c) Weird Japanese mythology thing / The Japanese like morning sex

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    mornings

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
    P10 wrote: »
    mornings

How many universes do you occupy, P10

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    mornings

316563987837878274.png

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
    mornings

316563987837878274.png

I understand completely

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    why am I awake at 6 am

you're a cyberman, nexus!

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Made it through that stag do. There was a horrible moment when it turned out one of the B team friends had booked a stripper but he got shut down and cancelled it. The house we were in had a really big hot tub. Much time was spent sitting in that drinking beer. I recommend this

Later a few boardgames happened. Zombicide isn't very good and takes a long time but it's not actively bad or anything. Finally played Pandemic too. Very interested in the legacy version now

@bogart we did a Nottingham escape room. It was bloody great. Apparently there are a few, we were just down the road from Pret in the centre but I can't remember the name of the place.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Apparently the japanese cheese-industry is garbage.

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    Apparently the japanese cheese-industry is garbage.

Well duh

It's not a cheese culture

fuck gendered marketing
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    That escape room is probably the one I tried and failed to book for our works Christmas do. I shall redouble my efforts this year.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Also, Mojo, does your village/town have decent transport links to Cambridge? The wife is threatening to come next weekend and flounce off into the city to spend my money.

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Persona 5 thoughts @simonwolf @OnTheLastCastle (did you finish it?) @Hahnsoo1 ....not sure who else played and finished it.
    I think my largest issue is September/early October it's just a slog of a month IMO that it makes the game negative fun. I put the game down for a significant amount of time because I just didnt have any drive to go back to it.

Spoiled my problems with September
    I really feel like it all starts with the boss of Futaba's dungeon. It seems like it's not as "wow" as the previous three bosses. Like as far as the story is concerened its good but the presentation isn't there.

Then comes the stupidity with Morgana and Ryuji which is just boring and dumb.

Then starts the Haru dungeon plot. While I think the overall story of it is decent even though I don't like Haru that much I was interested in the story. What I really dislike though is the pacing and encounters of her dungeon.

Which then culminates in a final savepoint that afterwards you have to deal with a timer and encounters before you fight the boss who has that silly hunger mechanic on top of a timed boss battle

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    oh god why

I'm happy when I see other people talk shit about Spain. What a dump.

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I want to pick up one game from the Steam sale, and I can't decide.

Stellaris
    No Man's Sky
    Darkest Dungeon

smCQ5WE.jpg
    I just came back from a run, the weather outside is perfect at 6 am and park was relatively empty. I still hate passing people on the trail while they're walking their dogs. Those leashes are long, I'm running at a good clip, who knows if a dog while decide to take a nip out of my heels.

No I'm not paranoid, you know it happened to someone out there once.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    Of the three, I highly recommend Stellaris, with Darkest Dungeon coming in second by a few car lengths. No Man's Sky is down a full lap at least.
    Elki wrote: »

Both can be true :P

• Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    I just came back from a run, the weather outside is perfect at 6 am and park was relatively empty. I still hate passing people on the trail while they're walking their dogs. Those leashes are long, I'm running at a good clip, who knows if a dog while decide to take a nip out of my heels.

They're all good dogs, Elcor

@japan

Nothing upsets me more than the inevitable and precisely-timed manner with which a breakaway group is reeled in by the peloton.

Physics and aerodynamics are cruel mistresses.

Of the three, I highly recommend Stellaris, with Darkest Dungeon coming in second by a few car lengths. No Man's Sky is down a full lap at least.

Both can be true :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3uPu73uXgI

Outlaw all leashes longer than 3 feet.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Morning, globs and globettes

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Trump just picked a corporate lawyer to head the Civil Rights arm of the DOJ whose background includes defending companies from suits complaining against sexism, racism, and ageism.

Oh, and he was one of the lawyers defending NC's anti-trans bathroom bill.

just another Tuesday

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I want to pick up one game from the Steam sale, and I can't decide.

Stellaris
    No Man's Sky
    Darkest Dungeon

darkest dungeon!

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    The numeral 6 looks like the profile of a rabbit with its ears curled back

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    How was the Zoo with Elliot @Atomika

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I've been wanting to buy Darkest Dungeon but from what everyone says it's a 200hour grind game if you want to "finish" it.

I am not down with that. But I also don't usually finish games so I don't know why it feels important to me that I can potentially finish a game or not, it should really be enough with whether it's entertaining to play.

PSN: Honkalot
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    The numeral 6 looks like the profile of a rabbit with its ears curled back

The roman numeral VI looks like a rabbit cut into a V and a I shape and laid down next to each other. Make u think.

PSN: Honkalot
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    morning homps

Allegedly a voice of reason.
This discussion has been closed.