As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - The Last Guardian

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited June 2017 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - The Last Guardian

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• desrdesr Registered User regular
    I don't get it, no live action movie of The last airbender exists...

I hope one day they'll do one, maybe one that captures the spirit of the cartoon and makes us fall in love with the characters all over again!

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Must be a fan trailer.

• lionheartssjlionheartssj Bartertown Chief Merchant BartertownRegistered User regular
    Fighting the good fight Gabe.

• ShowsniShowsni Registered User regular
    Damn you, M. Night Shamwow!

• tofeitofei Registered User regular
    Good job, Gabe! Sh*t, I think I teared up a little too! >_<

• AkamarAkamar Registered User regular
    I feel this on such a deep, personal level.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    But don't you want to see the adventures of Ong?

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Obviously some cheap ripoff movie stealing the basic avatar license and hoping to make money by fooling unsuspecting consumers. Like these

http://mentalfloss.com/article/55270/20-mockbusters-you-might-confuse-real-movie

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • MKLMKL Registered User new member
    I love this strip right here! My wife saw the movie first and apparently enjoyed it. I got her to watch the show and she loved the series! Then she realized how bad the movie was... Even the creators didn't like the movie AT ALL
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P1bbfeZqms

• poipoigirlpoipoigirl Registered User regular
    Gabe is a good father

• werepixiwerepixi Registered User new member
    That is Father of the Year parenting....

• ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular
    Gabe's missing the perfect opportunity to teach them how to MST3K properly. Just put some boxes on their heads and tell them they're robots. Kids love robots.

• RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    He still needs to convince them there is only one Transformer movie.

D083uBC.jpg
  • GDT1985GDT1985 Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    That one is just as nonsensical as the live action films.(Heresy, I know) Poor pacing, pointless scenes, weird dialog. The only thing Michael Bay added was slow motion boobs. It would be nice if someone was given the opportunity(and was capable) to make a good Transformers film.

GDT1985 on
  • RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    I was talking about the first Michael Bay Transformers movie actually, it might not be a great movie but it wasn't terrible either. Enjoyed it in the theaters.

D083uBC.jpg
    I just assumed, usually on the internet that is the one that gets acknowledged as good. But your are correct the Bay franchise peaked with the first one.(A really low peak. More of a hill maybe.)

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Transformers has never been good.

I would disagree in regards to Beast Wars and Transformers Prime. But, yeah,that fandom is all nostalgia.(which I may be guilty of regarding Beast Wars) But I do think the original show falls squarely into the 'it's-so-bad-it's-good' category.

• ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Beast Wars had solid writing-especially towards the end (I dare anyone to watch 'Code of Hero' and not be made to feel empathy for the characters)-won an Emmy and was nominated for a Leo award. Prime won six Emmy's and was nominated for seven others. The issue with the movies isn't that Transformers is bad, period. The issue is that for quite awhile it was really good and the movies went and ruined all the progress it had made.

There were great stories they could have adapted but instead they gave us shallow writing and baysplosions.

ziddersroofurry on
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Honestly, the worst thing about that film (from a UK perspective) is that they kept calling everyone "benders"

In the UK, that's derogatory slang for gay people.

If you're from the UK about 90% of conversations in the Avatar movies are absolutely fucking hilarious and there's simply no getting around it.

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    If you're from the UK about 90% of conversations in the Avatar movies are absolutely fucking hilarious and there's simply no getting around it.

Watching Futurama must be weird.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »

PRETTY MUCH

edited June 2017
    Andy Joe wrote: »

Weirdly, not as much? It's because of the grammar of the word. In Futurama, someone might say "I'm looking for Bender" or "this is my friend, Bender". That's not really funny because the sentence doesn't work the funny way around.

Contrast

"I'm looking for a bender"
    "this is my friend, he's a bender"
    "this town is full of benders"

Edit: "bender" is also a schoolyard level, immature insult rather than a serious slur frequently used with hate. That's why it's funny, because they sound like a bunch of children calling each other names.

Tube on
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    Honestly, the worst thing about that film (from a UK perspective) is that they kept calling everyone "benders"

And this is why, in the UK, the show had the subtitle "Legend of Aang" instead of "The Last Airbender".

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Karl wrote: »

And this is why, in the UK, the show had the subtitle "Legend of Aang" instead of "The Last Airbender".

Oh man, I'm glad you posted that. When tube said Avatar, of course all I could thing of was Dances with Smurfs and felt stupid because I couldn't figure out how that would be funny for UK English speakers.

Now I just feel stupid for a different reason.

• shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    Gabe you are doing gods work there. I don't know what anyone was thinking while making that horrid movie adaptation.