As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Poké] PKMN - Comfy And Easy To Wear

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    ~ Hedge Maze (Route 4) ~
    Richter

That seemed to work...
    "Okay North, now finish it off with another Earthquake!"
    ... and then we can test out this Pokéball..

Richter fishes around inside his lab coat, and then produces one of the Pokéballs he'd purchased earlier.
    This particular one however, has had all the outside cladding removed.
    It thus explodes when the button is pressed to expand it to its full size, as all the delicate internal parts have nothing to arrest their outward motion.
    "Darn. I guess I need one with a clear outer shell.", Richter mutters to himself.

North looks around at the Klefki and the arena.
    Without any other instruction, he figures one of the hedges is probably the softest place to land.

With a roar, North hammers his hands into the ground, launching himself bodily at the Klefki.

• KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    ~ Hedge Maze (Route 4) ~

"On my mark, Volnoy," Aleksandr tells his Buizel. "When she is recalled, use your Water Pulse. This enemy is strong, but I want to see how multiple Swords Dances and Sand Attacks interact."

Volnoy nods, and stands side on to the two Pokémon locked into a life or PLAYTIME battle.

"Borzoi, Sand Attack! The Riolu's defences are too strong! See if you can weaken it's strikes!" The Sinnoh trainer then scans the Riolu with his Pokédex, to see how the attack levels react to another Sand Attack.

Al unhooks the Rockruff's ball from his belt, ready to return the puppy Pokémon. Borzoi seems oblivious to the damage, but confused by the stiffness in her movements from the Force Palm. Not to be discouraged, she bounds to one side, then kicks up two clods of grit and dust at the Riolu's with her hind paws.
    Double round post again, if that's okay? First round, Sand Attack. Next round, return Borzoi and have Volnoy throw out a Water Pulse. Not sure how returning works, probably a little looser vs a wild Pokémon as opposed to an official trainer vs trainer thing.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
    Kay wrote: »
    Double round post again, if that's okay? First round, Sand Attack. Next round, return Borzoi and have Volnoy throw out a Water Pulse. Not sure how returning works, probably a little looser vs a wild Pokémon as opposed to an official trainer vs trainer thing.
    I'm going to have to guess that returning voluntarily would use your turn, as it could basically be used as a Refocus...

• TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    ~ Hedge Maze (Route 4) ~
    As the ball comes to a sudden halt, Beatrix warily creeps toward it. She picks it up and a moment later, raises it up high and triumphantly, a victorious smile on her lips.

“Yes! We DID it, Moriarty! Our first capture! Whoo hoo!” The Murkrow was less enthused about the whole festivity. Can we go now, he thought to himself. There must be SOMETHING interesting in these mazes. *squawk*

However, a sudden realization snaked through the girl’s mind. Earlier, the Pancham cried for help. That meant another Pokémon was bound to make its way here. It was a good thing the duo managed to beat the little Playful Pokémon; the powerhouse Pancham was quite a handful against the Murkrow. She doubted the two of them could have fended off another one.

Still, she notices there was an opportunity that can be exploited in their favor. They KNEW another Pokémon was coming. Which meant they could turn this ambush against their supposed ambusher. “Come on Moriarty, I think it’s time we turned the tables on these wild Pokémon. Let’s set up a trap of our own.”

The Murkrow gives Beatrix a long look.

So what your saying is... we spring a trap on, what I hope to be, a hapless Pokémon NOT like the one we just double-teamed? That is underhanded and downright evil.

There is hope for you yet, kid, the Murkrow curls his beak in what appears to be a smile. I'm in the mood for some payback, ya know what i'm sayin?

Considering all Beatrix could hear was a series of caws and squawks coming from her partner, clearly not. The fact was, the ambush sounded like a dastardly method to Beatrix. Truthfully, she reasoned if Pancham called out to someone (or something), that meant it had an ally somewhere in this Route. Should the two of them leave said Route with the Pancham in tow, this might cause a rift between the wild duo, which might cause Pancham's friend to become dismayed (or even depressed) at the loss of his (or her) companion. In addition, she further theorized that maybe capturing both would help make introductions all the more smoother once she released them out of their balls.

Regardless, the two hide nearby, awaiting who (or what) Pancham was calling out for assistance. I hope that it wouldn’t be something too dangerous, she thought to herself.

“Please, Moriarty. Stop fidgeting! I know it’s not like a delicious Unovan Lemonade, but at least it’ll help soothe some of those injuries you took from that Pancham.” She whispers, as she holds the Murkrow still with one hand, and rummages through her pockets with the other, with any luck finding anything that might resemble a potion.

Beatrix and Moriarty will set an ambush for the incoming (?) Pokémon. Also, use a Potion on the Murkrow.

TiamatZ on
  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    ~ Perle Fountain (Route 4) ~
    Jim

The Pokedex pulls up the current info on Feebas. A weak and feeble-minded Pokemon, this disheveled creature's only saving grace is its tenacious spirit and hardy nature, that allows it to survive in awful conditions. Scientists sought to study Feebas in order to determine the source of its vitality, but they decided they had better things to do with their time, so the research went nowhere.

It evolves into the beautiful and powerful Milotic, but the circumstances of this evolution are shrouded in mystery. Every now and then, a Milotic makes a big splash in a tournament or coordination contest, and trainers clamor for a Feebas of their own. Many of these Pokemon end up abandoned when their trainer realizes what a struggle it is to train them.

On the subject of fish-like Pokemon locomotion, the Pokedex article is naturally vague. While most Pokemon that breath water have little difficulty surviving in the open air for lengths of time, their mobility depends a lot on the Pokemon in question. Feebas in particular can move around in the mudskipper fashion by flapping their weak fins, or might flail about unpredictably in leaps like its similar cousin, the Magikarp.

More capable fish Pokemon usually use Assists and Moves to control their movements on land, generating enough water to move around comfortably, or by utilizing some sort of hydrokinesis to 'swim' in the air.

It's possible the Feebas made it here on its own, but as Jim well knows there's not a lot of water nearby, so the hardy creature would have had to trek for miles under its own feeble power. It seems more likely that a disillusioned trainer dropped it off somewhere convenient and somewhat secluded after deciding it wasn't worth the trouble to train.

~ Hedge Maze (Route 4) ~
    Beatrix

Taking a moment to spray down her Murkrow with cheap healing items, Beatrix's medicine slowly does its work in returning the Darkness Pokemon to tip-top shape while the duo await the arrival of another quarry.

Hiding in the brush, the Junior Detective watches as a large Pokemon cautiously turns the corner. Nearly seven feet tall, the black and white furred creature rumbles a curt order, and two Pancham similar to the one she just caught fan out from behind it, into the corridor, and start looking around.

Stomping forward, the Daunting Pokemon takes notice of the ragged hole she punched through the hedge earlier, the Pangoro sticks its head through the aperture and surveys the corridor on the other side. Seeing nothing out of sorts, the giant Pokemon gestures once more at its comparatively minuscule servants, and then the hole, its intentions clearly along the lines of 'fix this mess up'.

What would Beatrix like to do?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~ Hedge Maze (Route 4) ~
    Aleksandr

Given space to work, the Riolu attempts to max out its offensive potential once more, shifting its stance in minute increments to focus its physical power.

Riolu used Swords Dance!
    Riolu's Attack Sharply Rose!

The Emanation Pokemon's maximum power is short-lived however, as Borzoi once again douses her playmate in a blast of irritating dust. It doesn't do a lot to interrupt the Riolu's attention, but perhaps it will be enough.

Borzoi used Sand Attack!
    Riolu's Attack Fell!
    Riolu's Special Attack can't fall any more...

As the Riolu goes once again on the offensive, it hangs back in apprehension as its target disappears in a haze of red light, returned to her Pokeball by Aleksandr. Given leave to finally enter the battle himself, Volnoy sends an aqueous pulse of water flashing at the stymied Fighting Type, the energy-based attack easily bypassing the Riolu's boosted physical defenses.

Volnoy used Water Pulse!
    Riolu took 3 Stamina Damage!

Robbed of its opponent, the Riolu turns its attentions to its second tormentor, charging to slap at the Buizel with its signature open-palm strike. Unlike the undisciplined play-defense of Borzoi, Volnoy is able to properly block and dodge most of the straightforward attack with his own Fighting Type expertise, but the Riolu's heavily boosted attack is powerful enough to deal significant damage, regardless of its Type's effectiveness.

Riolu used Force Palm!
    Volnoy took 3 Stamina Damage!
    It's not very effective...
    Volnoy's Speed Fell!

Battle Status
    - Volnoy [ ||||--x ] -1 Sp
    - Riolu [ |||---x ] +2 Df, +3 At, -1 SA
    - Borzoi [ ||||||-x ] -1 Sp

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~ Hedge Maze (Route 4) ~
    Richter

Shaking and shuddering to rid itself of clinging earthen debris, the Klefki jingles harshly, and another set of spectral chains form in the area. Where the chains make contact with one of the lingering motes of light from the Fairy Type's previous attack, they split into two, covering the mote-swarmed North in a veritable jungle of tangled metal links.

Klefki used Fairy Lock!
    North took 2 Damage!
    North was Trapped!

Careless of its entrapment, the Alolan Geodude once again smashes the ground, its intended landing foiled by the presence of so many clinging chains, but its desired effect still achieved as gouts of earth and gravel are flung skyward towards the hovering Klefki.

North used Earthquake!
    Klefki took 3 Damage!
    It's Super Effective!

Smashed for a second time by an elemental weakness, the fragile Pokemon can no longer keep up the fight. Fluttering in a controlled crash to the hedge maze's floor, the Klefki lays flat in a pained daze, no longer willing to continue challenging the Mad Scientist and his partner in battle.

Klefki was Stunned!
    Klefki was Defeated!

(North gets 5 Exp!)

Assuming Richter can retrieve a working Pokeball in time, he could capture the helpless Klefki. If not, it will surely disappear back into the cover of the hedges once its gets its rattled senses back in order.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Not sure how returning works, probably a little looser vs a wild Pokémon as opposed to an official trainer vs trainer thing.
    Yep, particularly in this case when all Aleksandr was doing was returning one Pokemon while allowing another that was already in position to do its thing. I may get strict on official League battles, but we'll see how things go at first and if rampant switching becomes a problem.

Marshmallow on
    Thanks for the clarification! I thought Swords Dance might be one of those moves that interacts with harassing moves, I'd need to check the styles page to see what that's called.

Just to check: Volnoy and the Riolu are engaged now, so I'd need to use a move that isn't ranged? I think Volnoy might be in a little trouble here.

ew9y0DD.png
    I sense a boss battle in Beatrix's our future.

Bea makes a mess of negotiations with the natives, and expects us to clean up the mess?

Just like an International Inspirational Inspector Detective, that is.

ew9y0DD.png
    edited July 2017
    Thanks for the clarification! I thought Swords Dance might be one of those moves that interacts with harassing moves, I'd need to check the styles page to see what that's called.

Just to check: Volnoy and the Riolu are engaged now, so I'd need to use a move that isn't ranged? I think Volnoy might be in a little trouble here.

Boosting doubles its benefit when the stat in question is in the negatives, so in a sense it counters Harassing pretty hard, yes. First time the Riolu used Swords Dance it got a +4 to Attack in response to the Sand Attack, which is some serious shit.

It probably shows that my favorite competitive environment was the super aggressive Gen 4.

Volnoy and Riolu are engaged, but I don't think I actually like Ranged requirement to only hit things in other areas which is needlessly restrictive on a Style that already suffers from not getting you any form of bonus damage. Gonna edit the OP there and you may feel free to use Ranged Moves on Pokemon in the same Area (not that it will save Volnoy from his predicament, see a helpful move Riolu learns at level 1).

Marshmallow on
    Enduuuuuuure!

ew9y0DD.png
    edited July 2017
    ~ Hedge Maze (Route 4) ~
    Beatrix – P [-][-] /K [] /M- /N[] / V [][]
    Moriarty – 8/8

This…

This was not what Beatrix had imagined.

She had envisioned a wayward Skitty or maybe a concerned Ralts to be making its way here. Not this 7-foot bruiser of a Pokémon... or his entourage. Then again, she did not expect a Pancham out here either, but she assumed it was just a stray or an exception. Either the Dex the professor had updated was… well… outdated, or there was something else afoot here.

The scenario in front of her was not in her favour. She saw the number ONE of these terrible tykes did on Moriarty. Now, there were two of them AND one she must assume to be its final stage of evolution. Maybe she could think of a plan to get out of this mess.

Moriarty, meanwhile, was trying to hold in his ire at the scene in front of him. Having been formerly in one, the Darkness Pokémon knows a gang when he sees one. The big one had the features of any head honcho of a group: It was big, intimidating, and LOVED to boss his (or her) underlings around, without needing to do anything. His trainer may have her issues of villainous gangs and thugs, but to Moriarty, he had his own beef with Pokémon gangs. If he couldn't be in a gang of his own, then no one would!

Beatrix finally managed to scrounge up a plan. Firstly, she could maybe put the Dex on silence, switch the flash off and take a picture of the Pangoro and its gang. Then, if she can just play it cool enough and feign ignorance, they might be able to get past them. With the pictures in hand as evidence, she could inform the League of its close proximity to the city. Maybe then, they could send in Pokémon Rangers to detain it. Yes, that could work. Inform the local authorities, and make the Route safe for others once more. Who knows, it might make the front page of Santalune or Lumiose! Now, let’s see what options are on this here camera app…
    Beatrix will use a Knowledge token to…

A small pebble hits the side of the Pangoro’s head. It didn’t take any skill or intuition to realize which direction it came from: Moriarty. He glares angrily at the tall Pokémon with squawks of antagonism directed at the leader of the gang. Was… was he insulting them? She closes her eyes and bridge pinches her nose. Why? WHY?!

The gang looked at Beatrix’s direction, and the detective could do nothing but wave sheepishly at them, her face flushed with embarrassment. “Oh…um…. HI! Nice… weather… we’re… having?”

This couldn't get any wor...

The flash goes off, and the Dex whirrs as the picture is processed.

This isn't going to end well, is it ?

TiamatZ on
    ~ Hedge Maze (Route 4) ~

Aleksandr runs his fingertips over the stickers on Borzoi's pokéball, then attaches it to his belt before taking an unoccupied ball from his messenger bag.

"Another Water Pulse should finish this," the blonde youth assures his Buizel as he takes himself to throw the ball be holds.

Volnoy growls out his agreement, while attempting to shake the stiffening slowness the Riolu afflicted him with. Then, with a rising yell of challenge, the Buizel leaps back, charging a sphere of water with pure FIGHTING SPIRIT, loosing it at the Riolu as he reaches the apex of his jump.

ew9y0DD.png
    edited July 2017
    ~ Hedge Maze (Route 4) ~

Digging further into his lab coat pocket, Richter struggles to find his remaining stash of Pokéballs.
    "Ah ha!"
    Triumphantly he throws a Pokéball at the stunned fairy.

North watches as the Pokéball sails overhead and absorbs it's target.
    It wobbles once...

.. twice...

North is then hit by a second Pokéball.
    It does nothing.
    There is a slight cough as North turns around to glare at Richter.
    Richter is apparently very interested in digging through his backpack.
    "I should have a potion in here somewhere...
    Ah. Here we are."

North quickly glances at the first Pokéball to see it lying inert on the ground.
    Presumably with the Pokémon still inside.

Richter moves over to apply the spray to North.
    "Here we go. This should start taking effect immediately.
    It is also apparently..."
    , Richter looks at the label, "Raspberry flavour?
    I'm not sure why you'd flavour a non-oral medication that is non-toxic but nonetheless shouldn't be drunk by trainers.
    Perhaps it's just for the smell."

Richter stands back up, examining the now brown and purple covered Pokémon.
    "Um. If that doesn't work, we might have to get that mud cleaned up at the fountain before we try again."
    North shrugs. It's mud. It'll work.

Richter contemplates the muddy Geodude.
    "Speaking of raspberries, I requisitioned these Poképuffs.
    Here's one, for a battle well-fought."

North examines the new sweet, and somewhat nervously eats it.
    "Ugh right. This is no sand. I'm sure plenty of other Pokémon eat this..."
    Richter trails off, running his hand through his hair.
    I'm just digging myself deeper. And I can't buff him when he's covered in gunk...

"Anyway, lessons learned I guess. We need to get you a move that doesn't fling you all over the place.
    I'm sure there's more productive ways to spend your time...
    Speaking of, can you grab that Pokéball I dropped?"
    , Richter nods his head over to where the ruined remains of the modified ball fell apart into the grass.
    Poképuff finished, North hops over to the area and starts waving his hand over the grass, attracting the scraps of metal to his arm.

Picking up the other two Pokéballs, Richter mulls over the occupied one.
    I wonder why this guy was so agitated..

Patting down his coat, he locates one of the dispossessed flowers, hitching a ride on the hem.
    After biting a nib into the stalk, Richter quickly marks a '2' on the Pokéball.

I guess I ask the little guy? Is it even awake?
    Putting the ball on the ground, Richter releases the Pokémon for a chat.

discrider on
    Richter is an absolute MADMAN, Jim is definitely... eccentric, given his cash flow and background, Beatrix has this thing where she Just Has To Get In Trouble...

We're going places, folks. We're GOING places!

ew9y0DD.png
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    ~Perle Fountain (Route 4)~

Jim frowns at the notion that this Feebas has been abandoned here. It's so sad! The least they could do is take him... or her... to a Pokecenter or at least to a stream or something! Leaving a Pokemon in a fountain like this, all alone....

Jim sniffles, and kneels down over the fountain edge to address the Feebas directly. "I can't believe someone would just abandon you here, especially when you have so much potential!" He nudges the berry a little closer to Feebas, indicating it should eat. "I mean, never mind how neat and organized you are, anyone could see that. But..." He checks around to make sure nobody is listening in except Eli and the Feebas. "Just between us, I've got a secret power. My Dad had it too, he called it the Trainer's Eye. I can tell the sort of potential a Pokemon has at a glance! And let me tell you, little friend, you've got so much potential it's coming out of your fins!"

"Any trainer would be lucky to have a Pokemon like you, Feebas," he concludes. "Now, you've probably gotten lots of other offers already, but if you'd like to travel with me then I'd be honored to help you reach that potential." He pulls out an empty Pokeball, holding it above the water where the Feebas can see. "But it should be your choice, I wouldn't want to force you into anything."

Richter is an absolute MADMAN, Jim is definitely... eccentric, given his cash flow and background, Beatrix has this thing where she Just Has To Get In Trouble...

We're going places, folks. We're GOING places!
    What cash flow? Jim is as broke as anyone.

"Scion" just implies a rich family, I felt? Also, please update your account to enable third party hosting.

ew9y0DD.png
    "Scion" just implies a rich family, I felt? Also, please update your account to enable third party hosting.
    Oh yeah, I should probably change that, I was having trouble coming up with a Class and just put down the first alliteration I could come up with. Regarding the other thing, is something wrong with my posts? I've been on vacation since Friday and posting only via smartphone.

Terrendos wrote: »
    Oh yeah, I should probably change that, I was having trouble coming up with a Class and just put down the first alliteration I could come up with. Regarding the other thing, is something wrong with my posts? I've been on vacation since Friday and posting only via smartphone.
    Only that your sig keeps saying "3rd Party Hosting has been temporarily disabled."

Regarding the other thing, is something wrong with my posts? I've been on vacation since Friday and posting only via smartphone.
    Your signature has a photobucket image asking you to update your account to enable third party hosting. Feels like photobucket has gotten really terrible in the last year or two.

edited July 2017
    Jim

The Feebas listens placidly to Jim's speech as it messily eats the berry, bits of pulp and seed drawn away in the soft current to, no doubt, lodge themselves in a filter somewhere.

It doesn't really seem to understand what the Sociable Scion is saying, but it looks flattered anyway.

As simpleminded as it seems, the Pokemon does at least recognize what a Pokeball is. While it briefly looks back at its unfinished artwork, it apparently decides that there are a great many things better than living in a fountain playing with small change for the rest of its life. The Feebas headbutts the Pokeball and disappears in a flash of red light.

Jim's Pokedex pings as it loads data. He should probably sit down for this.
    =============
    Name:
    Species: Feebas
    Type: Water/Normal
    Exp: 1/15
    =============
    Loyalty: Friendly
    Demeanor: Depressive
    Need: Hope
    Quirk: Creative and Organized
    =============
    Weak: Dark, Dragon, Electric, Fighting, Flying, Grass
    Resist: Bug, Fire, Ghost, Ground, Ice, Poison, Psychic, Water
    =============
    Moves:
    Splash [Status/Useless/Water]
    Tackle [Physical/Useless/Normal]
    Flail [Physical/Mobile/Normal]
    =============
    Stamina: 6
    =============
    HP - 2 At - 1 Df - 2
    Sp - 2 SA - 1 SD - 4
    =============
    Assists: [Swim]
    =============
    Abilities: [Untalented], [Dull]
    =============

New Style!
    Useless
    This move has no extra bonus.
    Status - This move has twice as much no extra bonus.

New Abilities!
    Untalented
    This Pokemon has no natural talents. It can only learn Moves via TM, and furthermore it cannot evolve.
    Dull
    This Pokemon is terrible at following complicated directions. Trainer Exp cannot be spent on it, and furthermore it cannot evolve.

~ Hedge Maze (Route 4) ~
    Beatrix

The Pangoro rubs the side of its head as it looks at the tiny aggressor, listening for long enough to get the gist of Moriarty's ranting before waving it off with a heavy, magnanimous paw. Who cares what a Murkrow thinks?

It regards Beatrix with rather more wariness, the sprig of greenery in its mouth bobbing up and down as it thinks things over at its own, measured pace.

Then her camera goes off.

Blinking away the afterimages of the flash, the heavyset Pokemon frowns, its muzzle wrinkling in distaste. Glaring down at the stammering Junior Detective, it stomps its feet into a wider stance, crossing its arms and angling its head intimidatingly. The two Pancham, catching on quickly, assume aggressive stances of their own, arms casually thrown behind an imperiously tilted head or clenched in bicep-clenching arcs to their side. The effect is rather less impressive on their teddy bear physiques, but it's the thought that counts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~ Hedge Maze (Route 4) ~
    Aleksandr

While the Ace Trainer readies his Pokeball, and his Buizel charges the Pulse that should end the fight, the Riolu crouches slightly, then dashes forward, closing the distance between it and its target at incredible speed.

Not yet finished forming his move, Volnoy is caught out by the Riolu's sudden burst of agility, and is helpless to block or dodge the Emanation Pokemon's incoming punch.

Riolu is going to use Quick Attack!
    Volnoy is about to take 5 Damage!

Would Aleksandr like to intervene at this point?

Battle Status
    - Volnoy [ ????--x ] -1 Sp
    - Riolu [ |||---x ] +2 Df, +3 At, -1 SA
    - Borzoi [ ||||||-x ] -1 Sp

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~ Hedge Maze (Route 4) ~
    Richter

The Mad Scientist Pokedex pings as it draws up the relevant data of his acquisition.
    =============
    Name:
    Species: Klefki
    Type: Fairy/Steel
    Exp: 0/15
    =============
    Loyalty: Unfriendly
    Demeanor: Wrathful
    Need: Keys to Protect
    Quirk: Very Broad Idea of What Constitutes a 'Key'
    =============
    Weak: Fire, Ground, Water
    Resist: Bug, Dragon, Fighting, Ice, Poison
    =============
    Moves:
    Fairy Lock [Special/Trapping/Fairy]
    Flash Cannon [Special/Harass(SD)/Steel]
    =============
    Stamina: 6
    =============
    HP - 2 At - 1 Df - 3
    Sp - 2 SA - 3 SD - 2
    =============
    Assists: [Lockpick], [Flash]
    =============

New Style!
    Trapping
    The target cannot shift Areas until after the end of its next turn.

Upon releasing the captive creature, Richter is immediately bombarded with a series of sharp whistles, chirps, and jingling of metal that apparently aren't intended to communicate anything other than the Klefki's continued sense of wounded pride and outrage at its ill treatment and capture.

It doesn't seem like it'll attack yet, though, so it's learned its lesson there at least.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Those are real stats for that Feebas. Earliest I'd expect it to be capable of evolution would be around Jim's second badge, assuming he can stick with it that long. If it looks bad now, know that the first draft had "Weaknesses: Yes" and "Resistances: No, Nothing, Sorry".

TMs will go a long way towards making it useful until then, especially strong Status moves. Maybe look into Covering/Cowering Style moves to help out in the upcoming double battles, since Dull means the Feebas is going to rely on hands on experience to git gud.

For Klefki's [Flash] Assist, bear in mind it's considerably more useful in this system than in the games. In addition to the normal use of brightening up dark areas, it can be used to make colorful will-o-wisp-esque floating light motes that respond to the Pokemon's directions, as well as effect like aerial flares that can shoot up to explode in a harmless flash to signal for help or attention. Assists are basically D&D cantrips, small helpful effects that a Pokemon can use to give their trainer some assistance all the livelong day.

And then there's shit like [Lockpick] that I anticipate wholeheartedly regretting.

Marshmallow on
    Ahahaha! No worries, Marsh. I was actually expecting worse.

Going to have a think or two and probably have some more questions later, but just to clarify the Dull ability, does that mean it will not necessarily follow my orders in battle, or just the other two penalties (No trainer exp and no evolving)?

And I must assume there is a method, as yet unknown, to remove those Abilities?

edited July 2017
    Ahahaha! No worries, Marsh. I was actually expecting worse.

Going to have a think or two and probably have some more questions later, but just to clarify the Dull ability, does that mean it will not necessarily follow my orders in battle, or just the other two penalties (No trainer exp and no evolving)?
    It will try its best!

Which is to say, yes, it will follow simple instructions, and even the dullest Pokemon can work with a trainer in a battle. So only those last two. 'Uncontrollable' is the Ability that makes it harder to make a Pokemon listen to you both in combat, and out.
    And I must assume there is a method, as yet unknown, to remove those Abilities?
    Hint: Yes

Strong Hint:
    A Pokemon can have a maximum of two Abilities at one time.

Edited Addendum: You can't simply spend Exp to get Abilities. They are special!

Marshmallow on
    So how often can we use Assists and PKMN tokens?
    I had thought they were roughly the same, and that the an assist would take some amount of time to recharge after use.

edited July 2017
    discrider wrote: »
    So how often can we use Assists and PKMN tokens?
    I had thought they were roughly the same, and that the an assist would take some amount of time to recharge after use.

Thank you for asking, I don't think I properly explained it. Trainer Traits and Pokemon Assists are similar, but PKMN traits have a bonus mechanic, which is the tokens.

A PKMN trait can be used all the time for tasks that are 'easy'. Someone with a lot of Physique can just automatically knock down a door, for instance, whereas someone with Physique 1 would have to spend their token for enough oomph to perform the same task. The hella-Physique character would only need to spend a token to knock down a door if that door was very tough indeed.

Token spent in this way are meant to represent a character going above their usual limits to accomplish a particularly hard task, and are recovered when your character rests for a day or so.

Assists behave the same way, but don't have any associated "token" to spend to give them additional power. They just act at their typical strength all the time. A Pokemon that's [Strong] could bust down a door for you, but they couldn't push themselves really hard to bust down a very tough door, you would have to invest in a supplementary [Very Strong] Assist, if you wanted to do that sort of thing.

Marshmallow on
    ~ Hedge Maze (Route 4) ~

Aleksandr seems satisfied that things are going his way as he toys with the empty Pokéball, until the Riolu puts on a sudden burst of speed, angling right at his beloved Buizel. Volnoy's Water Pulse is almost charged, but he can tell that it's going going to make contact before the Emanation Pokémon's quick attack does.

In the blink of an eye, the Sinnoh trainer interposes himself between Riolu and Buizel, bracing himself to Endure the Blow as best he can. He just hopes that Volnoy can change the angle of his Water Pulse to strike the Riolu once the coast is clear.

ew9y0DD.png
    edited July 2017
    ~ Hedge Maze (Route 4) ~
    Beatrix – P [-][-] /K [] /M- /N[] / V [][]
    Moriarty – 8/8

Oh good, they weren’t going to attack. Very good. Soooo good. Means they might be open to negotiations. That’s good. Maybe I might get out of this without being on the wrong side of a fist (or three).

She breathes a sigh of relief. Switching off her Dex and placing it in her trench coat before you could say EXTREMESPEED, she slowly (but cautiously) steps out of the brush, not wanting to escalate the situation further.

She holds her arms and hands out wide open, hoping the Pangoro notices she is no threat. “See? Nothing to hide. Let’s all make like Vanilluxe and chill out. Stay calm, and let's not do anything rash. No need for any aggressive moves, or do anything we’d regret. See?” Moriarty, on the other hand, was the opposite. Having been vasually brushed aside by this binary bufoonish... Pokedoll, he was livid. He was starting to ruffle and puff up his feathers, doing his damned best at making himself all the more intimidating, ironically making him look like some cheap knockoff feather stuffed doll.

Beatrix sighed. Cooler heads (often) prevailed, and the hothead on her shoulder was NOT going to make things easier. “Alright, Moriarty. I think you need some alone time.” She pulls out a Poke toffee from her pockets, and tosses it high into the air. “Go long, and we’ll meet up back outside the Maze.” Not wanting to see such a delectable go to waste, the Murkrow turns his gaze to it and launches itself into the air, chasing for the snack hungrily. You win THIS round, kid.

With that threat (?) out of the way, she looks around, trying to find something that might change the subject, or at least make them focus on other matters. Time to play it calm and suave.

“Oh hey, you guys wouldn’t know what happened to the Pancham that was here earlier? Me and my lil’ old partner were getting lost in this here maze, when we saw ‘em. We were gonna ask for directions getting out of here, when… something came barreling down this here route, and tackled ‘em through that there hole, see?” She points to the hole behind the Pangoro, pantomiming every action, hoping they might understand. “Heard quite a scuffle, we did. So when we heard footsteps making their way back over here, we figured it was that… thing that came back to finish us. So, naturally, we hid in the nearby brush. Got so afraid, couldn’t move a muscle, yessiree. You... err...wouldn’t happen to know him? Or her?”

She really hated lying, but in this situation, could she even trust this embarrassment of Pancham herself? The Dex did NOT warn her such a beast was this close to the city, after all. Maybe they were part of his (or her) bamboo? Or maybe it was an underling? Or maybe it was mistreated, and was planning on running away. Maybe getting more information (either through their demeanor, body language, or even how they might react to the news of their lost comrade) would help her judge this situation more fairly. Either way, she had two choices: Continue this dishonest dance, or maybe do the right, lawful thing and set the Pancham free.

What to do…?
    Spending a Network token to do a Commanding presence (either to defuse the situation, or to make her lie seem more credible). Then a Knowledge token on using some Intuition (see IF this group is trustworthy and sincere about their lost comrade).

Fun fact: a pack of bears is called a sleuth or sloth, but pandas get their own collective names: such as a bamboo of pandas, an embarrassment of pandas and a cupboard of pandas.

TiamatZ on
    edited July 2017
    ~ Hedge Maze (Route 4) ~
    Beatrix

The prospect of more pictures of them posing and being cool abandoned, the Pangoro and its crew stop looking tough for long enough to listen to Beatrix.

The Daunting Pokemon seems to take Beatrix's word at face value, following her explanation with an eerie understanding. Enemy Pokemon?, it gestures with a rumbling growl, Big ears? Punches? Looks like a Dog? it continues, making ears of its own with upright fingers to the side of its head, giving a few punches, and demonstrating a long muzzle. Trouble, it finishes. Be careful, be safe. It also attempts to pat Beatrix on the head, possibly to comfort her on her ordeal.

(Network Token Spent!)

It seems like the Pangoro has no particular quarrel with trainers, but instead has problems of its own to tackle, possibly involving dog-ish Pokemon that punch and have long ears. Pointing at the two Pancham, it gives them orders to keep an eye on the area, nods to Beatrix amiably, then pushes through the hedge to the other side to scout things out.

Trustworthiness is always such a hard thing to suss out, it at least seems like whatever this crew is, they're not inclined to random cruelty or aggression, nor are they unlikely to show sympathy to an apparent dame in trouble? There's at least a little good-natured concern for their unknowingly captured pal, but there's equal and perhaps overriding concern about whatever enemy it is they're expecting to face in these Hedges. Perhaps Beatrix has embroiled herself in some sort of struggle between rival species, attempting to claim the route for their own?

(Knowledge Token Spent!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~ Hedge Maze (Route 4) ~
    Aleksandr

Stepping in to save his Pokemon from imminent defeat, Aleksandr takes the punch himself, surprising the lightning-quick Riolu sufficiently to disrupt its final attack.

Aleksandr Interfered and Endured the Blow!
    (Physique Token spent!)

Given a smidge of time and breathing room to complete his move, Volnoy finishes charging his Water Pulse, flinging the bubbling sphere of water at the stymied Emanation Pokemon. As expected, this final attack is sufficient to finish off the weakened Fighting Type.

Volnoy used Water Pulse!
    Riolu took 3 Damage!

Tossed to the ground by the projectile, the Riolu struggles to get back to its feet, eager to either continue fighting in futile rebellion, or to escape and lick its wounds, either of which might be interrupted by timely action on Aleksandr's part with a handy Pokeball.

Riolu was Stunned!
    Riolu was Defeated!

(Borzoi gained 3 Exp!)
    (Volnoy gained 3 Exp!)

Marshmallow on
    ~ Hedge Maze (Route 4) ~

SLAM.

Aleksandr stumbles and falls to one knee at the Swords Dance boosted impact. He tosses the Pokéball after activating it, then grips his bruised shoulder as crackling red energy washes over the Riolu.

Volnoy is at his master's side in an instant, checking the wound while slamming a paw against his chest, scolding Al soundly and gesturing wildly. The implication is clear. That attack was meant for him, not his trainer. Aleksandr shrugs in response with a pained smile, just resting for the moment to recover his breath. "That's going to be purple by this afternoon," he points out, before turning his head to check on the Pokéball's progress. If his Pokédex pings, he takes it out to check.

ew9y0DD.png
    edited July 2017
    ~ Hedge Maze (Route 4) ~
    Aleksandr

Aleksandr's Pokedex does indeed ping in response to the Pokeball's capturing chime, as it brings up the info on his freshly captured nemesis.
    =============
    Name:
    Species: Riolu
    Type: Fighting/Normal
    Exp: 0/15
    =============
    Loyalty: Neutral
    Demeanor: Serious
    Need: Complete Missions
    Quirk: No Sense of Humor at All
    =============
    Weak: Fire, Flying, Psychic
    Resist: Bug, Dark, Normal, Rock, Steel
    =============
    Moves:
    Force Palm [Physical/Harass(Sp)/Fighting]
    Quick Attack [Physical/Priority/Normal]
    Iron Defense [Status/Boosting(Df)/Steel]
    Swords Dance [Status/Boosting(At)/Normal]
    =============
    Stamina: 7
    =============
    HP - 2 At - 2 Df - 2
    Sp - 3 SA - 1 SD - 2
    =============
    Assists: [Sneak], [Aura Power]
    =============

Marshmallow on

"Woohoo! I caught a Feebas!" Jim cheers and leaps into the air, holding the Pokeball aloft. He presses the button and lets his newest friend out, bringing him into his arms for a tight welcome hug. Eli closes in on the other side, evolving the situation into a group hug, while being very careful not to let his flame singe either the fish's fins or his trainer's clothes (only his enemies would meet such a cruel fate). "Welcome to the team, new friend!" Jim says, all smiles.

Betraying nothing on the outside, inside Jim is a bit more worried (though definitely less than he should be). For certain, Elijah had come a long way from when they'd first met. But this seemed like it was going to be more difficult still. It would probably behoove him to seek out a specialist of some kind, or even just someone with a bit of experience raising challenging Pokemon. Doubtless a gym leader, either in Santalune or back in Lumiose, could give him a name.

And besides, what was most important was that now this Feebas had a friend. Two friends, even. And a problem shared is a problem halved.
    I just noticed that the Pokemon stats list doesn't include a gender. Is this a boy Feebas or a girl Feebas? And I guess the Pancham and Riolu probably also need genders.

Also, I'm reconsidering Jim's Class (Sociable Scion) since the existing one doesn't really fit (and was last-minute, anyway). I'm thinking maybe Blithe Coach (as a play on the term life coach) or something? I want to convey that he's very friendly, but it's also a bit of a facade. He's in essence faking the personality of Chris Traeger from Parks and Rec because he believes it will make him successful and well-liked.

edited July 2017
    I just noticed that the Pokemon stats list doesn't include a gender. Is this a boy Feebas or a girl Feebas? And I guess the Pancham and Riolu probably also need genders.
    Does it matter? If you think it does, feel free to choose whatever you think fits. I did so earlier by declaring Sycamore's Charmander a female, but generally I don't have one in mind, and so I'll leave it up to players to decide what pronouns to call their Pokemon.
    Also, I'm reconsidering Jim's Class (Sociable Scion) since the existing one doesn't really fit (and was last-minute, anyway). I'm thinking maybe Blithe Coach (as a play on the term life coach) or something? I want to convey that he's very friendly, but it's also a bit of a facade. He's in essence faking the personality of Chris Traeger from Parks and Rec because he believes it will make him successful and well-liked.
    Whatever works, as long as you're getting across the kind of character you're playing (and videos and inspiration help).

Marshmallow on
    ~ Hedge Maze (Route 4) ~

Aleksandr reads the data on his newly caught Riolu, and turns the Pokédex to show Volnoy. "You share some characteristics," he tells the Buizel. "Some resistances, and those moves, they look very strong. Perhaps you could both learn from each other," he goes on to suggest. "But not for a while. I want my ribs to stop hurting before I speak with this one."

He toys with Borzoi's Pokéball for a moment, then returns it to his belt. The last thing he needs right now is an over-enthusiastic Rockruff bouncing all over the place. All over him.

"Come, let us find the others, see what has happened there," the trainer tells Volnoy, before looking up at the walls around him. While he starts to hustle along further into the maze, he yells, "Bea? Are you here?" before looking up into the air to see if he can spot Moriarty.

ew9y0DD.png
    Okay, thinking it over, perhaps a [Status/Harass(Def)/Water] would be the best first step for Feebas, so I could use that 1-2 times, and then potentially get a decent amount of potency into Flail/Tackle? Or I could do [Status/Harass(HP)/Water] as well, I suppose.

The downside to OOC talk being in spoilers is I can't find the conversation where Kay and Marsh were talking about Harass(HP) being either good or bad.

Also, you guys going to need Jim's help over there in the hedges? Sounds like the Pangoro thing is going to get straightened out sans combat, but I'd like the chance to test the proverbial waters with Feebas in a battle, see just how bad "bad" can get. If Bea, Rick, and Al are done battling, I'll just have Jim wander in the flowers for a quick battle.

edited July 2017
    ~ Hedge Maze (Route 4) ~
    Beatrix – P [-][-] /K [-] /M- /N[-] / V [][]
    Moriarty – 8/8

When the big bruiser of a Pokemon made his way towards her, Beatrix couldn’t help but offer a slight flinch before he… petted her?

Well, that was definitely something I wasn't expecting a Pokémon would do to me in my lifetime, that’s for sure, she thought to herself.

She had thought on returning the captured Pancham to them, when she reminded herself of the gestures the large one was issuing to her earlier. By the sound (or rather, the look) of it, the fact they were far too busy being concerned about her, and actively searching for dangerous foes, she thought to herself: Am I smackdab in the middle of a possible rivalry between two species? A ... Pokégang war?

With the Pancham/goro trio now out of sight, she pulls out her trusty notepad, all the while slinking off into the foliage corridors.

“Barely even halfway on her journey through this supposed route of peace and tranquillity, our heroine was embroiled in a sinister game of tug of war between two groups of rivals. Each one had their eyes and hearts dead set on this route. Why? A lust for berries? For power? Or were they just born with a heart full of neutrality? (No, BAD Beat, BAD! No obscure pop culture references! > : ( ) Though she has met and identified one side, she thought to herself: How dangerous were the others, if it made this dauting, towering beast she just met... give pause for concern?”

Regardless, she had to find this floppy eared, punchy, canine pack. Maybe if she could identify what their intentions and plans were, she could maybe find some way to resolve this peacefully. If not? Well, she could find a way to weaken the two rivals before informing the authorities in Santalune. Maybe give a call to the League Representative, Monsieur Simone and hope more experienced Pokemon Rangers might sort this out. Maybe she could find a way for this Pancham to gain some 'street cred' with his bamboo of Pancham, earning him some respect and autonomy from the gang? So many options to choose from. Regardless, leaving these two powers alone might cause chaos with the locals. Innocents might get caught in the crossfire! She had to do something!

She was busy skimming through the Dex’s collection of photos for this supposed canine Pokémon when a thought crossed her mind.

Wait…

Were they actually posing for the camera earlier?

Pokémon are weird!

She heard the yells of a very familiar Russian accent nearby. “Al, you there? I’m over here!” She shouts back. “Well… wherever HERE is!” Maybe if she can find and convince the others, they might be able resolve this gang war issue right away. Or, at least reduce the workload for the League’s Rangers once they’re called in…

Moriarty, in the meantime, was enjoying a lovely scenic flight above the maze, feeling serene and not annoyed by those damn dirty land walkers below.

Also, you guys going to need Jim's help over there in the hedges? Sounds like the Pangoro thing is going to get straightened out sans combat, but I'd like the chance to test the proverbial waters with Feebas in a battle, see just how bad "bad" can get. If Bea, Rick, and Al are done battling, I'll just have Jim wander in the flowers for a quick battle.

Depends on what the group decides, we might just get down and dirty in a Pokégang war. Alex's Riolu might have been a spy or scout for the rival gang.

TiamatZ on
    ~ Hedge Maze (Route 4) ~

Richter backs up from the clinking cacophony he's unleashed.
    Maybe if I had a packing crate noodle, or something else to prevent the 'keys' from jangling together...

Richter looks back at North for help.
    North is watching the Klefki bemused and simply shrugs.
    The guy seems pissed.

Richter clicks his fingers.

Ignoring the Klefki for a second, he walks over to North.
    The Klefki predictably redoubles its efforts at making as much noise as possible.
    "How are you going with that Pokéball?"
    North, confused, spreads his arms, whilst keeping an eye on the tiny wheel of spinning metal death trailing behind Richter.
    Hanging off them are an assortment of components, salvaged from the grass.
    Quickly selecting one with a hole in it and plucking it from North, Richter turns back to the Klefki.
    "So, I don't have much on me. But perhaps this might suit you?", quickly rubbing the mud from the object.
    The Klefki stops spinning for a moment, as it considers the small metallic ring being offered to it.

~~~~~~~~~

With the Klefki stowed safely back in its ball, Richter helps North locate the non-magnetic elements in the grass.
    "So what do you think of the new guy?"
    North thinks for a moment. And then shivers.
    "I was thinking, like, a living antenna.", Richter gushes.
    North is pretty sure the Klefki would end him if he started pumping electricity through its body.
    "Although you also have those ethereal chains? They're worth investigating.", Richter mulls, scooping the last of the scattered pieces into his backpack.
    "We should also think of a name for him too..."

Shouldering the backpack once more, he pulls the Pokédex timer back out.
    "Anyway, we have places to be."
    North shakes his head, and jumps back on top of the backpack.
    "Okay, ready?", Richter asks, through an all-too-wide grin, "And.. resume!"

Richter races forward, intent on sounding out the rest of the maze.

Does the typing of a move affect Status moves in any way?
    Would it be okay to have a Status move that's both Electric and Ground?

discrider wrote: »
    Does the typing of a move affect Status moves in any way?
    Would it be okay to have a Status move that's both Electric and Ground?

In rare cases where a Pokemon has an Ability that interacts with it, like say a Lightning Rod ability that negates Electric Type Moves used against it, it might matter. In most situations it won't, though.

Not sure precisely how you'd treat a double-typed Status move in such cases, but that bridge could be crossed when and if we come to it.

Okay, thinking it over, perhaps a [Status/Harass(Def)/Water] would be the best first step for Feebas, so I could use that 1-2 times, and then potentially get a decent amount of potency into Flail/Tackle? Or I could do [Status/Harass(HP)/Water] as well, I suppose.

You can figure that even against a Pokemon with 0 Defense, this Feebas can only deal 2 damage (1 At + STAB), or 4 if you manage to find something weak to Normal moves. You might get more use out of something that Harasses Special Defense and have Elijah come in to actually finish it off. HP Harass is a pretty good middle ground, since it deals stamina damage that doesn't worry about attacking or defensive stats, but a Pokemon will still have at least their Speed Stamina so you'd need a way to actually finish them off after weakening them.

The conversation Kay and I had was about the Physical/Special version of Harass(HP), which might be useful for Feebas since all attacks that aren't 'not very effective' deal at least one damage, and then Harassing HP increases that by another point (and has some side benefits like reducing healing that won't really matter at this level of play). Picking away at something 2 Stamina at a time could take a while, but at least Feebas has a bit of natural tankiness to make it work, or it could come in and take the last 2-4 stamina off something Elijah has weakened.

edited July 2017
    ~ Hedge maze (Route 4)
    Overhearing some familiar voices, Richter responds.
    Why are we yelling?!

And the Klefki uses a trainer XP to learn Screech [Harass (SD), Status, Steel] cause of course it did... unless Flash Cannon was meant to harass that stat?

Either Flash Cannon harrasses special defense or the trapping move should be physical. Otherwise the two wouldn't have interacted in the fight...

discrider on
    ~ Hedge maze (Route 4) ~

"I hear you, Bea," Aleksandr calls. He taps his shoulder, and Volnoy hops onto his back as the young trainer bolts through the maze in Beatrix's direction. He ducks and weaves through the bushes - a little stiffly for the moment, until he shakes off the worst of the Riolu's attack, and looks for a way to hop the hedges if need be to link up with the detective. "We found a Riolu, here in the maze, can you believe it?" The Ace Trainer continues to raise his voice as he runs, blissfully unaware that a Pangoro and Pancham gang may be looking for a fighty-punch-dog style Pokémon.

ew9y0DD.png