As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

DnD Play at PAX West

TimoonTimoon Occupied Canada Registered User regular
edited July 2017 in PAX West
Greetings,

I have been volunteering as a DM for PAX since '13, in the past I have got my own pass and did a few sessions for fun. But, many of the DM's work many slots to get their badge and give fun to PAX attendees 7 at at time.

Last year was a high, the "AI experience" was FULL for the day within minutes of the doors opening on Sat, Sun and Monday. Ran a still exclusive Adventures League Module (only way to get it was to DM and they only way to play it was to play at PAX West) Baldman Games ran the DMs and tables. While some don't care for Baldman games, for me they did a good job.

So, I was excited about this year, but I have been in on some of the planning email groups, have found out the following. While AI is bigger than ever (IA "C" team, Merch, and Live Games at more PAXes) This year for someone play DnD at PAX is really unknown. The Adventures League folks (the DnD Public Play Program) were unable to secure space at a price they could afford, I tweeted Baldman Games and they said "There will be D&D at PAX West but Baldman Games will not be handling it"

So any staff here know anything about being able to Play DnD at PAX West 17? Will there really be no way to play the game? If you need DMs you may want to think about who they will be as many are making other plans or will not be able to get the time off to do it.

Timoon on

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I know that WotC put a huge amount of marketing might behind PAX West 2017 presence for MtG and D&D, and that had a lot to do with the offerings that were available. My guess is that if things are unknown, it probably has a nonzero amount to do with WotC not necessarily having committed to their plans yet. I would think the best way to find out would be to email your usual contacts for the show, but it's possible we can find out more information as things are released to the public.

• DarkBASICDarkBASIC Registered User new member
    Was there ever an answer for this? Scanning the schedule I don't see anything regarding D&D play, or an area on the floor plan where delves and adventures could be taking place (all the expected places have been designated for other tabletop events)? Any ideas?

• every day's greatevery day's great Registered User regular
    I don't see anything about D&D this year - say it isn't so, PAX!!!! :(

• JulietJuliet Registered User regular
    3 of the 4 people I am with would be crushed without DnD.

I haven't scoped out the Olive 8 yet - is there any D&D signage there??

It appears that there is no organized D&D play this year - wizards of the coast is also only doing magic tournaments.

• sbrooksbrook OregonRegistered User new member
    There are some sign up sheets at Olive 8, but 5e is full. If anyone is going to run or hears of an AL game, let me know. I have two Tier 1 characters and my dice ready.

• DarkBASICDarkBASIC Registered User new member
    Yep, to confirm other observations, DnD is happening at Olive 8 in room Cyan A. There is a lending RPG library available, with several scheduled 4-hour sessions across several editions with sign-up sheets (mostly full when I looked Friday night but "more sessions could be added"), but no quick 1-hour delves, like I would expect with an Adventurers League event. (Now that I think back) it is in the same location that RPGs were happening at last years' PAX and run in the same fan-driven grassroots manner. Hope that helps!

• AgentofOrangeAgentofOrange Registered User regular
    I will run a DnD 5E game at the Olive8 (I think it was G on the map).
    Saturday from 6pm to 11pm.
    I'll bring a few premade characters. Level 5.
    Please bring dice.
    We'll talk at the table about what kind of game we want, and if we'll continue on Sunday.

Honestly I'm just slappin' together a campaign together right now cuz I'm disappointed in the DnD presence and wanna be a part of the solution.

btw I left a sign up sheet at the cyan room, so please sign in there if you stop by before hand. it may fill up!

• acydlordacydlord Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    Hope there are some slots left, headed to the olive 8 now

paxsignature.png

Come on by, I'm the dude in red flannel, yellow shirt, sitting outside the Cyan room.

No slots filled so far!

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Come on by, I'm the dude in red flannel, yellow shirt, sitting outside the Cyan room.

No slots filled so far!

I would, but the C-team panel is in the same slot

We're meeting up again at Olive8 for a shorter session. Around 10 or 10:30.