As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nioh: Onimusouls Action Available on Feb 7!

• SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    NG+ is not fucking around.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »
    Fuck this Hino-enma fight so much

I know what I need to do it's just having the patience to not go HAM and actually block when I can

I keep trying to Bloodborne this game and it's not a good plan

Don't do this.

Armor up and blocking is really, really good.

I'm nearly through NG+, rolling with everything +5, on the mission with lots of bosses.

I still haven't blocked once!

Maybe once I'm done with this I can go back to Bloodborne. I found it too hard and gave up when it came out but now I'm the king of dodging sooooooo

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    BUMP.

In a case of "The more I think about it, the less I'm surprised...", Nioh is coming to PC in November (the exclusivity window ran out presumably). Team Ninja's PC port of Dead or Alive 5 is very well-optimized, so here's hoping it's not another Nier Automata and we're waiting for performance fixes in May of 2018.

Synthesis on
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    The final DLC released last week, so it's also effectively finished and ready to be repackaged as Nioh Complete.

• TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    BUMP.

In a case of "The more I think about it, the less I'm surprised...", Nioh is coming to PC in November (the exclusivity window ran out presumably). Team Ninja's PC port of Dead or Alive 5 is very well-optimized, so here's hoping it's not another Nier Automata and we're waiting for performance fixes in May of 2018.

YEEESSSSSSS

Day fuckin 1.

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I actually just borrowed this from a friend. My only complaint so far is that it is so similar to dark souls and bloodborne that I keep hitting R1 to attack. Also dodging is much less important then those series. I am only up to the second main mission but it is definitely a lot of fun.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    I've still got all the DLC to get through, but thats some good news coming to PC. I'll be picking that up to add to my collection.

• l_gl_g Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    I actually just borrowed this from a friend. My only complaint so far is that it is so similar to dark souls and bloodborne that I keep hitting R1 to attack. Also dodging is much less important then those series. I am only up to the second main mission but it is definitely a lot of fun.

In spite of not having any dedicated shields, blocking in Nioh is extremely effective, sometimes even against things you wouldn't expect it to be so effective against (e.g. magic!) Against at least one boss, that took me totally by surprised because I simply didn't think about blocking until I was so frustrated with dodging that I just did it.

I wouldn't say that dodging is _much_ less important than in Souls, though. Dodging is still very much crucial to the game: it's still a core if not go-to defensive option, and once you get the ability to do the Ki pulse with dodge, you'll be dodging much more, maybe even more than you probably did in non-Bloodborne Souls!

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
    l_g wrote: »
    furlion wrote: »

In spite of not having any dedicated shields, blocking in Nioh is extremely effective, sometimes even against things you wouldn't expect it to be so effective against (e.g. magic!) Against at least one boss, that took me totally by surprised because I simply didn't think about blocking until I was so frustrated with dodging that I just did it.

I wouldn't say that dodging is _much_ less important than in Souls, though. Dodging is still very much crucial to the game: it's still a core if not go-to defensive option, and once you get the ability to do the Ki pulse with dodge, you'll be dodging much more, maybe even more than you probably did in non-Bloodborne Souls!

I am having an issue with the dodging where there seems to be a very slight delay between when I hit the button and the dodge starts. It has cost me my life several times now. Going to spend a little time trying out the blocking.

Is it possible /worth it to get the unlimited elixir stat to 100%? I assume at that point you would actually have infinite healing yes?

Started a new game when the last DLC dropped and am finally just about there, having just defeated Sanada.

Something I've noticed on this replay is that the DLC (on initial difficulty) are all balanced around the assumption that the player has likely played the base story content on Way of the Strong and really leveled up character and gear. Once I beat Hundred-Eyes and moved to Yokai Country, I suddenly died to the slightest breeze and could barely damage a lowly skeleton. And having stepped away from the game for a while, it's been intense how much stuffed has been altered, with new enemy layouts in early missions that use DLC enemies and none of my Omnyo cheese works anymore. So sad.

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Lots of new people I see... welcome!

Tip 1: you can't dodge out of a combo when hit like dark souls. You have to block then dodge or keep blocking.

Toughness makes you lose less ki when you block so heavy armor can block way better.

• Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    So I stepped away from playing for a while but am thinking about coming back to play for a while, what's the new top tier shit? I assume Sloth got nerfed? Spoon feed me the god strats pls :bzz:

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    So I stepped away from playing for a while but am thinking about coming back to play for a while, what's the new top tier shit? I assume Sloth got nerfed? Spoon feed me the god strats pls :bzz:

you can do this now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kfNg5VqA_A

so basically who the fuck knows anymore

• LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    is he...is he just throwing rocks?

Considering they have crazy end-game gear with a literal perk that says "Stone Damage - +1000%", you best believe they're just throwing rocks.

So I am closing in on the platinum for this right? Not to bad difficulty wise, a little easier then a souls game. But then I get to the end of the game and suddenly all of these dual boss fight missions pop up. I see all these videos talking about the two nioh and the other shore, but no one mentions the other ridiculous fights like the two ninja masters. Turns out I didn't need them for the platinum. I wasted about 6 hours finishing missions I don't even need. Pretty fucking mad about that right now. But at least I can skip the one with noba and the obsidian guy because that one was punishing my ass. For the record, fuck team ninja for those fights. They clearly are not balanced around non-dlc gear. At least I can quit worrying about that now.

• GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    So from what I hear the Complete version on PS4's supposed to be digital only, no physical? I'd like to try the demo for this but the PlayStation Store's down for maintenance. This would be my first exposure to the "Souls-like" genre, after watching a fair amount and saying to myself that I wouldn't stand the gameplay.

• korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    As a Souls vet, I'm enjoying this quite a bit on PC. So far my only quibble is that combat feels really awkward with face buttons and not the shoulder buttons. I know you can rebind them, but it won't change the on screen prompts, which also throws me.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    I have the PC version but it's 80 god damn gb so I don't know when I'll have enough space to install it. Probably time to get a second ssd.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Just a reminder that any enemy in any game that is even vaguely wheel shape is a giant bag of dicks.

Seriously i hate these fiery wheel things so much.

Zunde on
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Picked this up again on PC. I didn't get too far into it on the PS4, but after putting in a few hours I remember that I actually love this game.

So, is there any good guides on stats and stuff?

• UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    I’ve been waiting since launch for this to go on sale on PSN.

Any day now....

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular

Any day now....

It's going to be on PS+ the month after you reluctantly buy it for full price.

broken image link
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular

Any day now....

It's going to be on PS+ the month after you reluctantly buy it for full price.

Truth.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular

Any day now....

That means you missed the sale where the game and season pass were 33% off. Unless that sale was NA only or something.

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    I like Dark Souls III, but this was me about ten minutes into this game:

CB8ADdUWAAADNT7.jpg

I sort of forgot the basic dark souls Loop of getting souls and turning them in consistently so I wasted some time last night losing souls repeatedly without upgrading but oh well

I am all in on the katana for now

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Been playing a bit. Just took down the Joro-Gumo. Game's pretty fun, but I'm not at all a fan of the loot system. I end every mission with a hundred things to look over.

I've been mostly using a spear, with double swords as backup. Interestingly, the hardest thing in the game up to here was the side mission with the duel with Muneshige, simply because due to the fact I'm staying at <30% weight, any of his iai attacks was a one-hit kill, while I hit him for maybe 1/30th of his hp per normal hit.

Bit annoying that it seems parry only works on humans though. Or at least if you can parry skeletons and the like, I haven't been able to. In general it feels like a lot of the skills are kind of stylish flourishes that get you killed, while good old mid-stance Strong gets you through anything.

Steam ID: Right here.
    edited November 2017
    I gave it a try on PC...then realized there's a reason I have about 20 minutes of play time on Dark Souls for PC way back when it came out.

The fundamental style of gameplay--challenging, but also "deliberate awkwardness" don't work for me, the same way that they never work for me in Dark Souls and I have no interest in playing Bloodborne. Still, I'm glad it came out on PC.

Running around the Tower of London might be a terrible way to start the game as well. Though I guess they always start out in dark, boring looking dungeons, so it's thematically appropriate, and you need to work your way towards anywhere that isn't boring looking.

Synthesis on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    These games aren't awkward, they are deliberate. Nioh moves and controls very smooth, no jank or awkwardness at all...but as is a hallmark of the genre it is deliberate. You will get punished for unnecessary movement and actions. They flow much more like fighting games than anything else. Too often people assume because they are third person they are going to play like CAG's but they absolutely do not. Even the much faster Nioh and Bloodborne are still very deliberate. The name of the game is reading an opponent, reacting correctly and punishing openings.

The loot system in Nioh is absolutely the weakest part of the game. Not loot in general, but how much loot they throw in your face is absurd. To the point where you find a set you like (in my case Warrior of the West) and you just burn down everything else you get to build upgraded versions of that. Weapon wise if it doesn't have a elemental damage and a stat scale on it, it doesn't even get considered. There are some really interesting things going on with the loot but it's so overwhelming that you find what your comfortable with and just scan for those stats. I know for a fact that Warrior of the West with an elemental sword with a good stat scale makes me lethal. Combined with the fact that the rest of the loot system is overwhelming it really discourages trying wacky stuff, which I don't think was there goal.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    These games aren't awkward, they are deliberate. Nioh moves and controls very smooth, no jank or awkwardness at all...but as is a hallmark of the genre it is deliberate. You will get punished for unnecessary movement and actions. They flow much more like fighting games than anything else. Too often people assume because they are third person they are going to play like CAG's but they absolutely do not. Even the much faster Nioh and Bloodborne are still very deliberate. The name of the game is reading an opponent, reacting correctly and punishing openings.

I found it awkward (and very deliberate, as you said)--but I supposed I was expecting a 3D fighting game or perhaps For Honor, and not Dark Souls, which I should've been expecting. The AI in the early stages is very predictable, but I suppose that's the point--they're stupid as bricks, but they hit hard, and you have manage to the later. I guess I just don't get this kind of game, I found it very awkward and less responsive then classic Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden, which of course is probably the point--they're entirely different games, hard for entirely different reasons. I did not find them to be too fast though, if anything I was sometimes impatient waiting for the enemy to respond so I could safely dodge/strike, rather than risking going forward.

The navigation movement isn't smooth, but that's mostly thanks to the camera (which Dark Souls and so many other games suffer from). Last thing I would call it is "smooth". Maybe I just don't understand these kinds of games, I had bad points of reference (Dark Souls itself is rather crude compared to the later titles).

The loot system wasn't great, but I never ran into problems of being overburdened (and I guess it's a good thing they throw so many health potions at you). And I didn't encounter any hardware issues (unlike Dark Souls, haha), so that's good.

• l_gl_g Registered User regular
    I gave it a try on PC...then realized there's a reason I have about 20 minutes of play time on Dark Souls for PC way back when it came out.

The fundamental style of gameplay--challenging, but also "deliberate awkwardness" don't work for me, the same way that they never work for me in Dark Souls and I have no interest in playing Bloodborne. Still, I'm glad it came out on PC.

Running around the Tower of London might be a terrible way to start the game as well. Though I guess they always start out in dark, boring looking dungeons, so it's thematically appropriate, and you need to work your way towards anywhere that isn't boring looking.

It's less "awkward" than Dark Souls, but it's more "awkward" than, say, Bayonetta. You have a lot more freedom in choosing to cancel an attack animation into a dodge than in Dark Souls, but not in the entirely freeform fashion of Bayonetta or Devil May Cry.

I think the loot system highlights how differently you wind up treating gear in DS vs Diablo. Finding weapons becomes almost a nuisance in Ni-oh, rather than a delight in DS. Tying the special moves and things to the character rather than to the weapon makes character progression deeper, and each weapon is like 3+ weapons in DS due to the stances + special moves, but it makes finding weapons inherently uninteresting.

Also some weapons/enemies involve no reading whatsoever. You walk up to an enemy with your chainsickle (chainsicle? like a frozen treat?) in high or low stance and hit square until they die. You kick skeletons until they die. You run in horror from flame wheels because the slow roll is the deadliest attack in the game, etc.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
    l_g wrote: »

It's less "awkward" than Dark Souls, but it's more "awkward" than, say, Bayonetta. You have a lot more freedom in choosing to cancel an attack animation into a dodge than in Dark Souls, but not in the entirely freeform fashion of Bayonetta or Devil May Cry.

I think the loot system highlights how differently you wind up treating gear in DS vs Diablo. Finding weapons becomes almost a nuisance in Ni-oh, rather than a delight in DS. Tying the special moves and things to the character rather than to the weapon makes character progression deeper, and each weapon is like 3+ weapons in DS due to the stances + special moves, but it makes finding weapons inherently uninteresting.

Also some weapons/enemies involve no reading whatsoever. You walk up to an enemy with your chainsickle (chainsicle? like a frozen treat?) in high or low stance and hit square until they die. You kick skeletons until they die. You run in horror from flame wheels because the slow roll is the deadliest attack in the game, etc.

I think this is more true. For me the reference is something like Ninja Gaiden, which is more twitch-responsive than Bayonetta in turn, but yeah, it's a lot further from that (and I probably shouldn't have expected it to be, even if it isn't clumsy-feeling like Dark Souls on PC with a gamepad). I had really no idea about the loot issue, I did find it mildly annoying that the game saw fit to give me six identical pairs of Tower of London guard pants alone before I left the first dungeon, but I hadn't considered that was going to be a reoccurring thing. Watching Let's Plays, I can completely understand what people like about the game, but it's not for me personally.

That's not true about flame wheels at all. You learn that their primary charge knocks them over when they hit walls and that they are vulnerable for like 4s after their flame breath and you bait those attacks out. I mean, I guess you can just be freaked out by them and jam buttons and eventually win, or you can learn their attacks, read and react, and then they become a really easy enemy.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    I definitely would say that flame wheels are the most dangerous mook I have faced up to here. Mostly because they seem to have basically no wind down for half their stuff. You think they're going to move, but no, slow roll towards you and you are immediately dead.

Basically, in order to deal with them, I generally have to bait the big stupid rush they do, which is the only attackk they do that seems to involve a recovery time where I can maul them. And generally it requires a few charges before they die. So they're really boring to fight. But if I try to get cute and not play it safe to speed things up, I stand a very reasonable chance of just dying.

edited November 2017
    Their flame breath also uses a ton of their stamina. If you can get a charge in to knock down, followed by a flame breath, you can usually get two full combos off, plus a stamina knock down for another full combo. You are correct though, you have to play safe. Their slow roll is immediate death if they catch you flush.

GnomeTank on
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I'm enjoying Nioh so far. The absurd quantity of loot thrown at you is.... something to get used to, but not too big of a deal in the long run. I kind of like that the gear is super disposable? It 100% a Diablo flavor.

And yeah, Nioh is the Ninja Gaiden to Dark Souls Devil May Cry/Bayonetta.

The Soul's games mostly define character ability through it's weapons and armor. Your weapons determine what you can do, and your character stats support them.

Nioh is kind of the opposite, where it's your character that determines what you can do, and your weapons and armor loadout/stats support them.

It's kind of an interesting dichotomy, and I'm glad they made an effort to separate themselves a bit.

As far as the combat design....it FEELS like Ninja Gaiden, but not quite like Ninja Gaiden. As in the controls are taught as a drum and they expect you to use every bit of it. It's more precise than even Bloodborne. And they account for it, cause unlike Souls where it's sort of a slow cascade of bad decisions leading to failure, when you fuck up in Nioh you're SUPER DONE. Which means that the boss fight's are a WHOLE lot shorter than anything in the Souls Genre, but the attempts are not halfway as tiring. Short bursts of intense focus feel different(in a good way) then the longer, more drawn out Soul's fights.

But....the flow of the game is SUPER fucked. I mean, the mission structure is great for replay-ability and I will be playing this game for infinity, but the narrative cohesion dosen't even pretend to be there But it clashes super hard with some really, REALLY good level design for their main missions. There are some really good horizontal level designs that you just straight up do not see in Souls, and some of them are flat out gorgeous. I mean sure there's the occasional "Oh no, the waist high box!", but goddamn do I like the ability to see other parts of the level as I'm traversing it. Gives a nice feel of the space you're in. They're fairly simple, sure, usually just horizontal two plane affairs, but it's still nice.

But the reason I'm gonna keep playing the game is the combat depth, because HOOO LORDY. There are moves in this game you could base entire runs around for how freaking amazing they are.

edited November 2017
    What is missing from Diablo, for me personally, is the guided desire to try different builds. Once I had decided on katana and mediumish armor, it took little time to settle in on what stats were best for my build/play style combination and now basically every piece of gear that isn't downright extraordinary gets burnt down to create gear that fits my style. It's very, very, very uncommon for me to see an upgrade from a drop anymore. Drops in my mind have become "oh yay, more mats to craft/reroll gear the way I want it". They could have saved me a step by just having crafting be THE source of gear and everything just dropped mats :)

GnomeTank on
    I mean, there are tons of wacky and powerful builds designed around the combination of various armor sets in conjunction with the appropriate Spirits, but that stuff is never anything you're pressured to pursue in order to succeed.

Personally, as I said, it has felt that most special moves and the like are largely too risky compared to just poking people and dodging. Maybe it's just the spear.

Like, yes, the spear jump is totally badass, but if I misread the attack and the enemy does an overhead instead of a horizontal, or I'm a bit short and don't quite clear the enemy in the jump, I'm instantly dead. Any enemy against which I could pull off the high stance multistab-after-combo is so slow that I could just run circles around him poking for similar damage anyway, and any enemy where the extra bit of damage would be noticeable is entirely too dangerous to afford it. And so on.

It's like what happened with the vampire lady. She kicked my shit five ways to sunday, until I stopped trying to be fancy and just calmly did backstep->mid stance Strong until she died, at which point I oneshotted her.

edited November 2017
    So you played correctly. Not specifically the inputs, but you recognized a a failing tactic, realized the boss was open at certain points and punished. That, combined with stamina management, are the loop of the genre. The souleslike genre tends to punish being fancy and rewards calculated patient play. I tend to find this is the rub for a lot of people who bounce off the genre.

e: To clarify an exception to the rule here, Bloodborne is probably the best in the genre at rewarding fancy play and pushing a much more aggressive play style. Far more than even Nioh, which while being faster than Dark Souls, still absolutely rewards a patient, reactive, play style.

GnomeTank on